PDA

View Full Version : Forgone Conclusion (texans)

OrangePeel
10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
How badly does Houston need an oline rite now? Ferguson seems like he is only waiting to get that texans jersey handed to him on draft day, I think carr has the ability to succeed with even a decent oline, but this is just plain rediculous. He has been sacked 30 times already in 5 games, on pace for 93 on the season! that number is obviously not going to be reached, but a 70+ sack season is not out of the question. If the texans pass up on d'brickashaw, or an olineman in general, they dont deserve to have an NFL team.

Any other sure bets ALREADY, i know we are at week 6, but i think this is as close as it gets to a sure thing rite now.

PsychoChicken
10-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Definitely. Ferguson is the best pass blocker in the draft and a top 3 pick. They will not pass on him with the first overall pick. It's as close to a sure thing as there is right now concerning the draft. The only way this changes is if the Browns finish with a worse record or Ferguson is injured.

I can't help but wonder how much better the Texans would be if they only had Tony Boselli in his prime.

OhNoKoolAid
10-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Hold on just one moment.

David Carr has an out clause in his contract which allows him to void his contract after the season if he has met certain performance measures. As of this morning,
I heard he had reached this marks and could void his contract after the season if he so desires, which would leave this team without a quarterback. This team may still be in Leinart land yet...

Now, after watching Carr a few times, I don't see what separates him from Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller, and think he has been given the free pass. He also may not be able to command a higher salary in free agency than what he has left on his rookie deal. Also, he may be apt to give the team another chance pending a commitment to a new coaching staff and offensive line. If I were the Texans, I would still take Ferguson regardless of whether or not Carr leaves, and would spend my next pick on a QB, again regardless. You cannot put any QB behind that current line no matter how talented they are, and Ferguson is an instant upgrade. I think a message should be sent to Carr that effort will be made to improve his surroundings, but now he his leash will be far shorter with competition waiting in the wngs.

OrangePeel
10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Hold on just one moment.

David Carr has an out clause in his contract which allows him to void his contract after the season if he has met certain performance measures. As of this morning,
I heard he had reached this marks and could void his contract after the season if he so desires, which would leave this team without a quarterback. This team may still be in Leinart land yet...

Now, after watching Carr a few times, I don't see what separates him from Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller, and think he has been given the free pass. He also may not be able to command a higher salary in free agency than what he has left on his rookie deal. Also, he may be apt to give the team another chance pending a commitment to a new coaching staff and offensive line. If I were the Texans, I would still take Ferguson regardless of whether or not Carr leaves, and would spend my next pick on a QB, again regardless. You cannot put any QB behind that current line no matter how talented they are, and Ferguson is an instant upgrade. I think a message should be sent to Carr that effort will be made to improve his surroundings, but now he his leash will be far shorter with competition waiting in the wngs.

hmm i didnt no that
very interesting, especially with the rumors of Kubiak being a fit with Carr, any chance hed some here if hes out of options next offseason to backup Jake?
What teams will be desperate for a QB next year that would pass on a drafting one

Nick7
10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Hold on just one moment.

Did you seriously say that Harrington is as good as Carr? Carr would probably give anything to have the WR's that Harrington has. Plus, Harrington has one of the most underrated centers in the entire NFL. Line isn't the only problem for the Texans. I think it is a combo of WR's not not getting open and line not holding up.

OhNoKoolAid
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Did you seriously say that Harrington is as good as Carr? Carr would probably give anything to have the WR's that Harrington has. Plus, Harrington has one of the most underrated centers in the entire NFL. Line isn't the only problem for the Texans. I think it is a combo of WR's not not getting open and line not holding up.

The intent of the comment was that Carr is not included in discussions of QBs failing to meet expectations, and consequently, are on the hot seat. All three have failed this season thus far, although Boller hasn't received a far shake yet this year, and Harrington has been twice as bad as everyone else.

You do bring up an interesting point I think should be looked at. I don't believe that Detroit has that much more talent surrounding its QB. Andre Johnson has elite talent, had a helluva year last year, and is the best of the bunch on both sides. At running back, both Davis and Jones have talent in both receiving and rushing. Mike Williams will be better than Bradford in time, but at the moment, is just a rookie and his contribution is minimal. Charlie Rogers has been a major bust, and his contributions are limited to small spurts. Likewise, Jabar Gafney has never lived up to his billing. The Detroit line is better, but the difference is like determining which Hilton sister has more common sense. The disparity in teams isn't what you think, Carr needs to own up to that.

OrangePeel
10-17-2005, 08:32 PM
The difference in Oline ALONE makes the difference, if you have watched the texans this year, you would have seen carr forcing the ball to recievers and not having the ability to make reads, or look through his progressions, constantly being moved out of the pocket, and sacked an insane amount of times. Carr is a good QB as evidenced by his year last year, but with the worst Oline in football, Manning would have a hard time looking halfdecent.

db32
10-18-2005, 04:37 AM
How badly does Houston need an oline rite now? Ferguson seems like he is only waiting to get that texans jersey handed to him on draft day, I think carr has the ability to succeed with even a decent oline, but this is just plain rediculous. He has been sacked 30 times already in 5 games, on pace for 93 on the season! that number is obviously not going to be reached, but a 70+ sack season is not out of the question. If the texans pass up on d'brickashaw, or an olineman in general, they dont deserve to have an NFL team.

Any other sure bets ALREADY, i know we are at week 6, but i think this is as close as it gets to a sure thing rite now.

I gotta' shoot this down. This sounds an awful lot like the Robert Gallery fiasco. A guy who was supposed be this, but ended up being that. If any team needed someone to play a position, the Texans need a LT, but Ferguson's no overnight fix. He's incredibly athletic and competitive, but that's all he is at this point. His technique's a mess;
He doesn't extend his arms and prevent the defender from getting into his body
He doesn't bend his knees and gets top heavy-thusly he'll overextend and bend at the waist compromising the athleticism he has (no center-no balance, no balance-no C.O.D.)
Even when he does play with acceptable technique you see he significantly lacks overall body strength-especially lower.

In summary; you're giving a team (in desperate need mind you) a player who too easily allows a defender into his body, needs to add girth and strength and plays too high limiting his abitiy to redirect himself and compromising his most redeeming attribute? Do you have something against the Texans? You'd put Trevor Pryce in the record books facing this guy.

OrangeShadow
10-18-2005, 04:38 AM
we drafted 3 cornes they should draft 3 o-line players :laugh: