PDA

View Full Version : found out the weirdest thing about Brady QUinn

alan
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
hes from Dublin ohio isnt that weird,it was all meant to be that he went to ND i suppose

its also good to see theres still alot of people on the roster with irish descendancy aswell. where did the name fighting irish come from though,was it the huge influx of irish imigrints,,,,?

just asking cuase it was founded by some french dude :goofy:

Jaws
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
hes from Dublin ohio isnt that weird,it was all meant to be that he went to ND i suppose

its also good to see theres still alot of people on the roster with irish descendancy aswell. where did the name fighting irish come from though,was it the huge influx of irish imigrints,,,,?

just asking cuase it was founded by some french dude :goofy:

That is a real coincidence about him being from Dublin Ohio. His Irish credentials are in no doubt then.

Can't help you about the name, but would be interested to know the answer myself too.

Was it Broncomania's own Frenchie who founded ND?

alan
10-21-2005, 08:42 AM
no i know his name it was brother sorino of the notre dame brothers or some order like that,im just saying its weird that he is french

Freestyle
10-29-2005, 10:16 PM
The name has never been perfectly explained.

One tale has the nickname originating at halftime of the Notre Dame-Michigan game in 1909. With his team trailing, one Notre Dame player yelled to his teammates - who had names like Dolan, Kelly, Glynn, Duffy and Ryan - "What's the matter with you guys? You're all Irish and you're not fighting worth a lick." Notre Dame came back to win the game and the press, after overhearing the remark, reported the game as a victory for the "Fighting Irish."

The most generally accepted explanation is that the press coined the nickname as a characterization of Notre Dame athletic teams, their never-say-die fighting spirit and the Irish qualities of grit, determination and tenacity. The term likely began as an abusive expression tauntingly directed toward the athletes from the small, private, Catholic institution.

chickennob2
11-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Seriously, Notre Dame is a cathedral in paris. paris, france. So why does a school named after a church in france have an irishman as its mascot?

Those explanations were pretty good NASurfer