PDA

View Full Version : Position Needs

mrrogers8277
10-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Not considering who'll the Broncos lose to free agency, I can see needs in these positions. If we could get a game changing player at WR (I know we have Rod but he is but one), safety (Lynch is still getting it done but is creeping up in age), and TE (Putzier and Alexander are solid but I miss the days of Sharpe. Oh yeah, the rest of the league sees the importance of the mismatched TE's with Gates, Crumpler, Gonzalez, Whitten, Shockey, among others.) It should be interesting to see the directions Shanny goes this year. Then, Shanny can stay true to form and pick up replacement OLinemen and RB's later in the draft.

OrangePeel
10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
The need for a WR, S, OL, and DL overpower the need for a TE. I would be perfectly ok with going into next year with Putz and Stephen. Chad Jackson is at the top of my list rite now on the picks 5-15 area (which is where i believev the broncos will be picking with their WAS pick). Then comes Ngata and so on.

Momentum
10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
In order....

WR
SS
G
DT (depends on if Warren/Brown stay)
DE (depends on if Warren/Brown stay)
T
QB
[insert 6th round RB here]

OrangePeel
10-23-2005, 08:58 PM
In order....

WR
SS
G
DT (depends on if Warren/Brown stay)
DE (depends on if Warren/Brown stay)
T
QB
[insert 6th round RB here]

with the way things are going, warren and brown will be due a huge salary raise come next season, i see no reason the broncos should give it to them either, seeing as there success is attributed to our work, and confidence in them. If theyre modest, and believe in this team, theyll stay, if they live true to Gerard's nick name "Big Money", they will leave.

DLine will definately be at the top of the list if the above happen, then Oline, then Safety. WR i believe can be waited on till next year if necessary, to see if lelie bounces back (which might very well happen). The window for rod is prbly until 2008, and i see a few great WR prospects in the 07 draft that liken alot to this system, and smith himself.

Johnny7
10-23-2005, 09:16 PM
WR
WR
SS
DT
G
T

Why risk a Marcus Nash? Go WR twice, we're gonna need it. It seemed to work with CB's?!?! Rod is old, I don't hink Ash is a #1.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
10-23-2005, 11:36 PM
D-line, specifically DE, will be the main need.

We are 27 million OVER the cap for next year.

Courtney Brown's option is 10 million.
Trevor Pryce counts as 10.5 million.
Ekuban is due a 3 million bonus unless he's cut.
Marco Coleman is retiring.
Gerrard Warren will get a massive contract, I'm not sure we can afford him.

On offense, OT Matt Lepsis is a FA, as is OC Tom Nalen.

My perceived order of needs for Denver:

1. RDE - Pure pass rusher. (These are only available in FA or the 1st round of the draft).

2. UT - Penetrating DT, huge need if Gerrard Warren isn't resigned.

3. OT - Something has to happen here, especially if Lepsis moves on. Depending on if we would move Foster to LT or keep him at RT, one of the positions is a need.

4. NT - Pocket collapsing wide-body. Mike Myers is below average as a NT and there is little depth behind him. This is a need.

5. FS - Need a ballhawk with speed to play safety. Might be a lesser need if Paymah gets moved to here.

6. OG - We need depth.

7. WR - Smith, Lelie, Adams, and Devoe look solid. Depending on the team's thoughts about 2nd round pick Watts, there may or may not be an opening here.

Momentum
10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
WR
WR
SS
DT
G
T

Why risk a Marcus Nash? Go WR twice, we're gonna need it. It seemed to work with CB's?!?! Rod is old, I don't hink Ash is a #1.

Im really feeling this idea. Light a fire under Adams, Devoe, and Lelie. Cut Butterfingers. If Rod is back, he can mentor the 2 draftee's. Ain't nothing wrong with carrying 6 WR's.

But... MUG dont you think that we will need a guard? Afterall the plan is to move Hamilton to center... right.

OrangePeel
10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
D-line, specifically DE, will be the main need.

We are 27 million OVER the cap for next year.

Courtney Brown's option is 10 million.
Trevor Pryce counts as 10.5 million.
Ekuban is due a 3 million bonus unless he's cut.
Marco Coleman is retiring.
Gerrard Warren will get a massive contract, I'm not sure we can afford him.

On offense, OT Matt Lepsis is a FA, as is OC Tom Nalen.

My perceived order of needs for Denver:

1. RDE - Pure pass rusher. (These are only available in FA or the 1st round of the draft).

2. UT - Penetrating DT, huge need if Gerrard Warren isn't resigned.

3. OT - Something has to happen here, especially if Lepsis moves on. Depending on if we would move Foster to LT or keep him at RT, one of the positions is a need.

4. NT - Pocket collapsing wide-body. Mike Myers is below average as a NT and there is little depth behind him. This is a need.

5. FS - Need a ballhawk with speed to play safety. Might be a lesser need if Paymah gets moved to here.

6. OG - We need depth.

7. WR - Smith, Lelie, Adams, and Devoe look solid. Depending on the team's thoughts about 2nd round pick Watts, there may or may not be an opening here.

well our situation with the cap can be made easier with the contract restructuring.
but u definately make ur point, Dline will still be a huge need next year.
Hopefully warren wont ask for that huge a contract, seeing how he was still a bust until he came to denver. Any bit of dignity in him will tell him to take a lesser contract to stay with the broncos.

Momentum
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
well our situation with the cap can be made easier with the contract restructuring.
but u definately make ur point, Dline will still be a huge need next year.
Hopefully warren wont ask for that huge a contract, seeing how he was still a bust until he came to denver. Any bit of dignity in him will tell him to take a lesser contract to stay with the broncos.

Dignity? If you were Warren, experiencing a career resurgence barring injury.... would you stay or would you cash in?

Needless to say, I fully expect him to pull a Bertrand Berry and cash in with a cellar dweller.

PsychoChicken
10-24-2005, 03:25 PM
I concur with right defensive end, three-technique defensive tackle, and starting caliber offensive tackle as the three biggest needs, and I have free safety as a distant fourth.

I don't think we can pass up Kiwanuka, Mario Williams, or Ngata, but as I believe all three will be gone, I have us taking and OT and DT in round one, and a FS in round 2...thus again ignoring the need for a RE. I would not put it past Shanahan to draft a wide receiver early though. It would be consistent with his trends in years past (most notably choosing Watts over someone like Randy Starks).

I must say that those of you who feel WR is a bigger need than DL should watch some game tape of the 2004 season. Our d-line in 2006 is almost sure to look even worse than that if it is not addressed and Warren, Ekuban, Pryce, Coleman and Brown leave. I really do not want Myers, Veal, Engelberger, and (????) as my starting DL next year.

DURANGO BRONCO
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
We are solid but average at 4 positions this year:

1. DE- Nasty Pass Rusher

2. WR

3. TE

4. S

Lets use yesterdays game as an example:

1. A top DE would have had at least one sack, maybe in their last drive.

2. 3. A top WR or TE we could have gotten open for at least one catch to keep our late drives going.

4. A top safety would have negated at least one of their touchdowns.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Im really feeling this idea. Light a fire under Adams, Devoe, and Lelie. Cut Butterfingers. If Rod is back, he can mentor the 2 draftee's. Ain't nothing wrong with carrying 6 WR's.

But... MUG dont you think that we will need a guard? Afterall the plan is to move Hamilton to center... right.

OG? I'm not worried about it.

PJ Alexander was going to be our starting RG before he was hurt. He'll be back next season. Cooper Carlisle is doing well at RG this year, he'll be here next season. So, that means Alexander will move to LG.

We will have Chris Myers on the team for depth as well.

Generally, you only take an OG on the 1st day of the draft if you need an instant starter, and usually those are the big, massive OGs that maul people, we don't use those types.

I don't see an OG in our future on the draft's first day, the 2nd day perhaps.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
I concur with right defensive end, three-technique defensive tackle, and starting caliber offensive tackle as the three biggest needs, and I have free safety as a distant fourth.

I don't think we can pass up Kiwanuka, Mario Williams, or Ngata, but as I believe all three will be gone, I have us taking and OT and DT in round one, and a FS in round 2...thus again ignoring the need for a RE. I would not put it past Shanahan to draft a wide receiver early though. It would be consistent with his trends in years past (most notably choosing Watts over someone like Randy Starks).

I must say that those of you who feel WR is a bigger need than DL should watch some game tape of the 2004 season. Our d-line in 2006 is almost sure to look even worse than that if it is not addressed and Warren, Ekuban, Pryce, Coleman and Brown leave. I really do not want Myers, Veal, Engelberger, and (????) as my starting DL next year.

Well, here's the thing about the WRs....there's just not much value there in the first round....or any round really. This is a bad WR draft.

We have our speed guy in Lelie who is a prototypical #2. We have our slot guy in Watts, though he's playing terribly this year, still he's a second round pick that will be given more time. Todd DeVoe looks like the typical 5th WR that gives depth and excellent special teams play. Charlie Adams is a really good #4 WR/returner type. Rod Smith still has a few years left of being productive, he'll start his descent to a #3 possession type soon though.

The only true possession type WRs that could be #1s in this draft are probably Hagan and Holmes. Both should be available in the late first, but I'm not sure either is a lock to be any better then Darius Watts. I think Watts will be the answer, I just think it will take longer then planned.

DURANGO BRONCO
10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I agree that the 06 draft has little to offer at WR. Hagan and Holmes are probably slightly better than Watts but they are no slam dunks. It sure would be nice to have a TO/Johnson caliber player (without the attitude) that defenses would have to pay attention to. At this point I think Rod, and Ashley are solid but neither demand special defensive game playing to stop them. This also is true about our TE's.

I am hoping David Terrell will be a late season surprise, and we can wait until the loaded WR draft 2007 for a receiver

PsychoChicken
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, here's the thing about the WRs....there's just not much value there in the first round....or any round really. This is a bad WR draft.
I'm aware that this is a poor WR draft, but I'm not quite sure it will stop Shanahan from taking one somewhere during the first day...at which point I will throw a brick at my TV...the cheap one. Not one wide receiver in this draft has impressed me enough to want him as a Bronco. But if it has to be any, I can only hope it's Martin Nance in the late second round. That's the only way I'd approve.

I still have immense faith in Darius Watts, and expect big things in his third year.

Momentum
10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm aware that this is a poor WR draft, but I'm not quite sure it will stop Shanahan from taking one somewhere during the first day...at which point I will throw a brick at my TV...the cheap one. Not one wide receiver in this draft has impressed me enough to want him as a Bronco. But if it has to be any, I can only hope it's Martin Nance in the late second round. That's the only way I'd approve.

I still have immense faith in Darius Watts, and expect big things in his third year.

Personally, to me its Chad Jackson or bust. We may have to wait for Schmarja (still overrated IMO) and Calvin Johnson if need be.

BroncoRT
10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Not considering who'll the Broncos lose to free agency, I can see needs in these positions. If we could get a game changing player at WR (I know we have Rod but he is but one), safety (Lynch is still getting it done but is creeping up in age), and TE (Putzier and Alexander are solid but I miss the days of Sharpe. Oh yeah, the rest of the league sees the importance of the mismatched TE's with Gates, Crumpler, Gonzalez, Whitten, Shockey, among others.) It should be interesting to see the directions Shanny goes this year. Then, Shanny can stay true to form and pick up replacement OLinemen and RB's later in the draft.

I was wanting one of the solid OT's in this years draft, but Lepsis is playing well along with Foster, so I feel we should lock up Lepsis for a while. Lepsis and Nalen could be Bruce Mathews clones and might be able to play a few more years. I thought they were losing a step but they are all playing well.

That being said we need a quick DE, solid DT and a Ball Hawk Safety with our first three picks...period. We will grab a solid OG and RB on day two. We need WR's but there are no WR's that stick out this year.

The 2006 draft will be lots of fun for Bronco fans. :beer:

MileHighSpirit
10-25-2005, 09:05 PM

The truth is, Shanahan would have drafted a receiver last year if he had the chance.

Denver wanted Matt Jones (6'6") with their first round pick, but they felt he wouldn't be there so they traded it to Washington (money was also a factor). Without a shot at Jones, Denver made a good look in the direction of Vincent Jackson; another big (6'5" 240) WR who would be great in the redzone and create mismatches. They decided to take Darrent Williams with the 2nd round pick and hope Jackson fell to the third. Instead SD picked him up in the late 2nd.

Denver has virtually no one who is athletic enough to be a short yardage/redzone threat. Shannon Sharpe was always the safety valve and the guy who made our offense truly prolific. Alexander has been excellent blocking, and Putzier shows great ability between the 20s, but neither is a true TE threat.

Mark my words, Shanahan WILL spend one of our first three picks on a tall, athletic offensive weapon. It isn't a matter of what I want, but what he has shown he wants.

In all truth, a TE in the mold of Sharpe would be enough to return our offense to a truly scary level. I think taking Marcedes Lewis (UCLA, 6'5" 250lb 4.6 40) would be a great pick with our 2nd first rounder. He is basically a really big WR just like Sharpe was; fast, great blocking, excellent hands, athletic, perfect build.

Other position needs in order of importance are: DL (DE and DT), OT, interior OL, and S

jletourneau
10-26-2005, 07:03 AM
OG? I'm not worried about it.

PJ Alexander was going to be our starting RG before he was hurt. He'll be back next season. Cooper Carlisle is doing well at RG this year, he'll be here next season. So, that means Alexander will move to LG.

We will have Chris Myers on the team for depth as well.

Generally, you only take an OG on the 1st day of the draft if you need an instant starter, and usually those are the big, massive OGs that maul people, we don't use those types.

I don't see an OG in our future on the draft's first day, the 2nd day perhaps.

Agreed.

Plus, look at the Alex Gibbs formed lines around the league in the zone blocking scheme from all the years in Denver and now in Atlanta and you won't find many guards especially who were drafted in rounds 1 or 2.

It is a system that prides itself on taking what others consider lesser talent and molding it perfectly into a specific scheme. It doesn't have to compete with the majority of teams for the more prototypical interior talent.

jletourneau
10-26-2005, 07:06 AM
The truth is, Shanahan would have drafted a receiver last year if he had the chance.

Denver wanted Matt Jones (6'6") with their first round pick, but they felt he wouldn't be there so they traded it to Washington (money was also a factor). Without a shot at Jones, Denver made a good look in the direction of Vincent Jackson; another big (6'5" 240) WR who would be great in the redzone and create mismatches. They decided to take Darrent Williams with the 2nd round pick and hope Jackson fell to the third. Instead SD picked him up in the late 2nd.

Denver has virtually no one who is athletic enough to be a short yardage/redzone threat. Shannon Sharpe was always the safety valve and the guy who made our offense truly prolific. Alexander has been excellent blocking, and Putzier shows great ability between the 20s, but neither is a true TE threat.

Mark my words, Shanahan WILL spend one of our first three picks on a tall, athletic offensive weapon. It isn't a matter of what I want, but what he has shown he wants.

In all truth, a TE in the mold of Sharpe would be enough to return our offense to a truly scary level. I think taking Marcedes Lewis (UCLA, 6'5" 250lb 4.6 40) would be a great pick with our 2nd first rounder. He is basically a really big WR just like Sharpe was; fast, great blocking, excellent hands, athletic, perfect build.

Other position needs in order of importance are: DL (DE and DT), OT, interior OL, and S

I cannot help but think that Shanahan will be looking very closely at Hank Baskett as a guy he will look to grab early in the draft. I can't say I wouldn't be slightly intrigued by S. Holmes or C. Jackson, but I tend to believe Shanny will look in Baskett's direction. If taken, perhaps a little later he would look for J. Samarzjdia. (sp.) Perhaps looked at as a McCaffrey clone.

MileHighSpirit
10-26-2005, 07:22 AM
I cannot help but think that Shanahan will be looking very closely at Hank Baskett as a guy he will look to grab early in the draft. I can't say I wouldn't be slightly intrigued by S. Holmes or C. Jackson, but I tend to believe Shanny will look in Baskett's direction. If taken, perhaps a little later he would look for J. Samarzjdia. (sp.) Perhaps looked at as a McCaffrey clone.

I totally agree with you, and I would love for Denver to pick Hank Baskett. ...not in the first round though. Using our 2nd rounder on Baskett would be fantastic. Anytime you have a guy who is 6'4" 220, is a confrence high jump champion, and dominates his competition (even though its the MWC), you have a serious redzone star.

Baskett is also known for his blocking and ability to make the big play. He sounds like just what the doctor ordered in Denver.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
I like Baskett in the mid-late 20's. Probably moreso then the other WRs, just because I am a fan of height mismatches.

Here's Scout.com's file:

Full Name: Hank Baskett School: New Mexico

Ht: 6-3 Wt: 219 40: 4.57 Yr: 5Sr

Pos: Consistent wide out with a complete game. Deceptively fast, stretches the defense and makes acrobatic receptions downfield. Fearless and exposes himself to the big hit in order to catch the ball. Works hard running after the reception, keeping the play in bounds and picking up as much yardage possible. Possesses soft, consistent hands with the ability to pull the errant throw from the air. Comes back to the ball and consistently works to make himself an available target. Displays an excellent sense of timing and anticipation, using his large frame to shield away opponents and protect the past. Solid blocker down field and strong at the point of attack.

Neg: Does not run away from defenders in the open field. More a long strider who lacks first step quickness.

Analysis: A natural receiver with deceptive speed, Basket could be a gem at receiver in next April's draft. Presents himself as a potential number one wide out in the NFL and offers a lot of upside potential.