PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young

bronocoman5
09-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Just thought I would start it early. We need Vince. WOOOOOOOOOO

Hells Bells
09-12-2005, 09:59 PM
If they Broncos were to get Vince Young, they would have to sink WAY low this year.

Might be worth it though.

coco
09-12-2005, 10:05 PM
I went to UT, and the best thing to come out is Chris Simms, Major Applewhite was good but to small. Vince I dont know about, not sure he would fit the system being that you cant run the option play in the NFL (stupid Spurrier tried that in Washington)

From a Longhorn, and a Die hard Broncos fan, I would have to say NO

Theonlymember
09-12-2005, 10:12 PM
THANK YOU. I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE!!!!!! Vince Young = The Future! Jake Plummer = The Interception!!

GIVEME6
09-12-2005, 10:16 PM
SARCASM ALERT!!!! What about Bradlee Van Pelt?? :coffee:

lvbronx
09-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Here's a QB that throws touchdowns and never throws interceptions...Omar Jacobs is starting right where he left off:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/4865056

And to round out my "dream" draft for 06:
D'Brickashaw Ferguson

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/dbrickashawferguson.html

...Just sitting here dreaming....

Theonlymember
09-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah! Pick up Jacobs if he's not picked up already!!

broncofan303
09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Vince Young isn't that great of a Qb..but a hell of an athlete, His decision-making is horrible at times (ie throwing it right to the OSU defender) and really doesn't have great accuracy...But what really helps him is moving with his feet and passing (very plummer like)...

but we need to invest in a real Qb..Leinart or Jacobs...I think Jacobs is only a junior though, but who knows he might come out...

Paranoid
09-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I went to UT, and the best thing to come out is Chris Simms, Major Applewhite was good but to small. Vince I dont know about, not sure he would fit the system being that you cant run the option play in the NFL (stupid Spurrier tried that in Washington)

From a Longhorn, and a Die hard Broncos fan, I would have to say NO
Stupid Spurrier never ran the option in Washington. Parcells however ran it with Quincy in Dallas. Funny thing about participating in sports debates, usually its a good idea to actually know what you're talking about.

Milehigh117
09-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Have any of you guys that are so obsessed with Vince Young actually watching him play? He may be doing great throwing the ball this season but it seems to be a pretty popular consensus among scouts and the press that he is NOT a good QB prospect in the NFL.

The throws he makes in college he would never make in the NFL. He's got a terrible delivery that comes out way too low, causing his balls to sail to much on his short to medium range passes, which in the NFL need to be thrown straight and fast. He's got a heck of a lot of talent, but is not an NFL QB, and just like Matt Jones, Hines Ward, Antwan Randle El, will more than likely have to change positions.

Omar Jacobs on the other hand is a much better pro QB prospect, but he is not a plug and play QB, hes more of a project. He too has a bit of a quirky delivery, but he can get more zip on his passes. His biggest weakness is his footwork which takes time to work on.

My personal favorite QB picks (outside of Leinart) are (projected 2/3 rounders)
Bruce Gradkowski- Toledo- 6-2 220 Last game 25/35 338 yds 3td 1int

Charlie Whitehurst-Clemson 6-4 220 Last game 18/22 178 yds 2td 0 int

Reggie McNeal - Texas AnM 6-2 210 Last game 8/16 110, 1 td 1 int, 9 carries 100 yards

Calif. Bronco
09-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Stupid Spurrier never ran the option in Washington. Parcells however ran it with Quincy in Dallas. Funny thing about participating in sports debates, usually its a good idea to actually know what you're talking about.

Couldn't you have just corrected him and left it at that? Did you have to throw in the personal insult? What was the point of your second sentence other than to "throw it down", thereby causing him to either: 1 - be afraid to post 2 - shoot back at you with some kind of insult that elevates the situation or 3 - ignore you. I hope he chooses the last one, but my experience on here is that he is more likely to choose #2.

clokwork orange
09-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Have any of you guys that are so obsessed with Vince Young actually watching him play? He may be doing great throwing the ball this season but it seems to be a pretty popular consensus among scouts and the press that he is NOT a good QB prospect in the NFL.

The throws he makes in college he would never make in the NFL. He's got a terrible delivery that comes out way too low, causing his balls to sail to much on his short to medium range passes, which in the NFL need to be thrown straight and fast. He's got a heck of a lot of talent, but is not an NFL QB, and just like Matt Jones, Hines Ward, Antwan Randle El, will more than likely have to change positions.

Omar Jacobs on the other hand is a much better pro QB prospect, but he is not a plug and play QB, hes more of a project. He too has a bit of a quirky delivery, but he can get more zip on his passes. His biggest weakness is his footwork which takes time to work on.

My personal favorite QB picks (outside of Leinart) are (projected 2/3 rounders)
Bruce Gradkowski- Toledo- 6-2 220 Last game 25/35 338 yds 3td 1int

Charlie Whitehurst-Clemson 6-4 220 Last game 18/22 178 yds 2td 0 int

Reggie McNeal - Texas AnM 6-2 210 Last game 8/16 110, 1 td 1 int, 9 carries 100 yardsGreat post. Do any of you young fans follow college football? He can throw it but he is not a passer (brutal release and no touch, he locks on wr). Half the scouts are predicting he will be converted to wr. Remember woody danzler? matt jones. Success in college and the nfl are completely different.

silkamilkamonic
09-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Vince Young has said so himself that he can't read a college defense. Now understand that an NFL defense is 5x more complicated.

Do us all a favor and don't comment on a QB again until you understand that there's more to the position then running up and down the field and throwing a football.

ReleaseTheBeast7
09-13-2005, 06:31 PM
The guy is a complete amount of nothing, he couldn't throw a ball and hit the broad side of a barn. Just because he has the scrambling ability, does not mean he's any good.

I'd take MARCUS VICK over this guy, at Marcus Vick's current status. If we draft a QB in the top 3 rounds, I want it to be Omar Jacobs or Jay Cutler.

Vince is the Quincy Carter of college football. Put him in the pros and he's no better than Chad Hutchinson at throwing the ball.

Do NOT get Vince.

PsychoChicken
09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Vince Young has one hell of an arm. It's a cryin' shame he doesn't take advantage of it. Plus, I'd hate to be the one to have to correct his sidearm release. I don't think he's got as much of a QB IQ as Jacobs, McNeal, and Leinart. Young is kind of an impulse player, and I'm not really digging the idea of drafting an impulse player when we already have Jake Plummer and BVP.

I've got quite a fw QBs I'd rather have over Young, even though Young will be drafted higher than most of them: Leinart, Jacobs, McNeal, Whitehurst, Leak, Cutler, and Clemens come to mind right away.

watchthemiddle
09-13-2005, 07:53 PM
No on Young. I would take a two time Heisman winner and 2 time national champ in Leinart who comes from pretty much a pro system at USC then Young who besides Ohio State last week could never win a big game. Leinart might not fit our system but bring Carroll with him.

Almost Heaven
09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
I really like Vince Young but not sure he's right for us. He's about the same guy as what we have now. He could make a decent QB but to watch him throw, it's like he's throwing darts, like he's trying to hard to place the ball instead of being fluid and letting the game come to him. He might have gotten some Heisman hype after his game this past week, but the real MVP of that game was the Hawk boy form OSU. That boy was everywhere. Back to QB's though, i'd have to say if i was going to use a first rd. pick this year, the only qb worth takin in the first would be Matt. I like his attitude, and the way he brings it on game day.

Astros05
10-26-2005, 10:04 PM
What do yall think about my boy out ot TEXAS? Think he would be a good replacement for Jake the Snake?? I think he would make a great backup for Jake...

Momentum
10-27-2005, 01:16 PM
He will make a great backup.... for Ashley Lelie. :coffee:

daniel80111
10-27-2005, 05:02 PM
I would take that guy at wideout. Just flat out incredible athlete and amazing size. His YAC would be out the roof.

PsychoChicken
10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Forget Vince Young. If he stays true to his word, he's not coming out this year.

MileHighSpirit
10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
I think Vince Young will be fine as an NFL QB. He has all the tools to succeed. All he needs is good coaching to develop his raw potential. If he lands in the right place Young will have a good career and wow a lot of people.

Astros05
10-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I think Vince Young will be fine as an NFL QB. He has all the tools to succeed. All he needs is good coaching to develop his raw potential. If he lands in the right place Young will have a good career and wow a lot of people.

He sure will!!!!!!!!! :beer:

goeagles99
10-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Vince has been throwing the ball well in recent games. He's putting good touch on the ball. He's fairly accurate, but I still have concerns about him in an NFL offense. Most of his passes are to wide open rcvrs. Can he take a 3 step drop and fire a slant? Can he anticipate guys coming open? Can he throw into tight windows on a consistent basis?

I have to give Vince credit for being a better passer this year than I anticipated. He's made great strides. I really hope he stays in school so he can get more polished and be an even better prospect.

He throws sidearm too often. And he's a wrist thrower. He flicks the ball. His mechanics need a lot of work.

He has good size. Excellent runner. Arm looks strong enough.

Vince does seem like a leader and a winner. He's got a ton of upside, but I just think he'd be a huge risk at this point.

Another year in college could be huge for him. He was a mediocre passer (at best) last year. He's a solid passer this year. That's a lot of progress in one year. He could progress even more with another season and eliminate some of the questions about him as a pro prospect.

BroncoStampede
11-08-2005, 09:13 AM
If a top tier QB like Vince Young is available in the first round should the Broncos take him? This of course is assuming the Redskins give us a top 12 pick and Young drops that far.

The|Snake#16
11-08-2005, 11:34 AM
No. Jake is our QB and we are in need of help at other positions right now. And before we go off and draft a QB to back jake, we should at least give Van Pelt a shot.

silkamilkamonic
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
no.

In the nfl, you have to actually know how to read defenses. Something Young has said he himself can;t do.

See Yuz.

Perry1977
11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
No! D-line or O-line...then maybe a safety in the second round (if Blue or Bing are still available). Then I don't care what. =p

Skywalker
11-08-2005, 05:51 PM
If a top tier QB like Vince Young is available in the first round should the Broncos take him? This of course is assuming the Redskins give us a top 12 pick and Young drops that far.

Im not sure if your aware of this.....but being a Longhrons fan I am.....Vince Young says he will be coming back to Texas for his Sr. year.....and I happen to believe he will.....

KnightOLB53
11-08-2005, 05:53 PM
NFL total access think he could make a switch from Qb to WR.

ReleaseTheBeast7
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
No, don't jump on his bandwagon because he runs a sub 4.4 40... He's nothing special, can't throw, never takes his eye off of the desired target, results into bad mistakes. He'll be a WR in the NFL.

PsychoChicken
11-08-2005, 08:49 PM
NFL total access think he could make a switch from Qb to WR.
If he does it, he will be a better prospect than Matt Jones, without a doubt.

JoRo
11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Indeed... he would be a monster of a WR....

RunYouOver
11-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Indeed... he would be a monster of a WR....

I think he'd be a monster at halfback too :eek:

ReleaseTheBeast7
11-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I think he'd be a monster at halfback too :eek:

Nah, too small, too tall.

TXBRONC
11-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Well Vince has already stated he's coming back for his senior year. But I guess if he wins the Heisman and the Longhorns should take the National Title that could very easily change his plans. Btw I don't think he'll drop far enough for us to even have a chance at getting him.

clokwork orange
11-11-2005, 08:04 AM
If a top tier QB like Vince Young is available in the first round should the Broncos take him? This of course is assuming the Redskins give us a top 12 pick and Young drops that far.sure we need a wr.

PsychoChicken
11-11-2005, 02:03 PM
sure we need a wr.
If he switches to WR, shows an ability to run routes and catch the ball with any decency, and runs a sub 4.4 40-yard dash, he'll be a top 10 pick easily, possibly top 5.

Bronco_f1
11-12-2005, 07:08 PM
The Broncos need a safety and a WR. Maybe a third or fourth CB to play against the bigger WRs. It would be nice to have the Notre Dame WR with the long name

badintentions
11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
damn i aint too sure about dat!!! :confused: we got jake da snake plummer at QB!!!but if we get vince young...WTF...whose gonna start...vince young is too good to sit on da bench...jake is too good :goofy:

ReleaseTheBeast7
11-12-2005, 08:03 PM
damn i aint too sure about dat!!! :confused: we got jake da snake plummer at QB!!!but if we get vince young...WTF...whose gonna start...vince young is too good to sit on da bench...jake is too good :goofy:

What the hell kind of language is this?

Celtpride36
11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Take Bing with one of our first overalls, and then go DL, we need a big play safety that can cover we can pick up the miami safety greg threat in the later rounds

#77rox
11-13-2005, 12:46 PM
The Broncos need a safety and a WR. Maybe a third or fourth CB to play against the bigger WRs. It would be nice to have the Notre Dame WR with the long name

The broncos don't need another reciever rod smith probably retire this year or next and i heard on sunday countdown the broncos will probably get T.O.

stnzed
11-14-2005, 12:47 AM
The broncos don't need another reciever rod smith probably retire this year or next and i heard on sunday countdown the broncos will probably get T.O.
carefull what you wish for bronco fans

ReleaseTheBeast7
11-14-2005, 10:38 PM

It's all speculation.

AdamantiumBronco
11-15-2005, 07:36 AM
i say get a top safety. with our first pick. :beer:

Emancipator
11-15-2005, 07:39 AM
I like Vince Young but haven't given the draft much thought yet. I certainly like the Young man. LOL..... that fit just perfect.

Nick7
11-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Nah, too small

You're kidding me right? If 233 is too small, then what is too big? He'll be a QB, though. Otherwise, his running ability wouldn't matter. Plus, only the Jags would spend a 1st round pick on a person who is switching positions.

AdamantiumBronco
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
yup tater is 213. :beer:

MileHighSpirit
11-15-2005, 09:14 PM
You're kidding me right? If 233 is too small, then what is too big? He'll be a QB, though. Otherwise, his running ability wouldn't matter. Plus, only the Jags would spend a 1st round pick on a person who is switching positions.

Shanny wanted Matt Jones, but he didn't think Jones would last until pick #25 so he traded the pick. If the Jags didn't pick him, someone would have.

The|Snake#16
11-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Matt Jones is a beast, i'd want him. He's huge, he breaks tackles, he's quick, he can play TE, WR, QB, he is a threat where ever you put him.

Nick7
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, but Jones had experience at that position and wasn't a Heisman candidate.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
11-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Shanny wanted Matt Jones, but he didn't think Jones would last until pick #25 so he traded the pick. If the Jags didn't pick him, someone would have.

We had 4 guys targeted.

Matt Jones
Mark Clayton
Fabian Washington
Marcus Spears

And all four were gone before we picked, so it was a good trade in that regard. However, why we did not target Mike Patterson is beyond me. He's better then any 3 technique in this next draft from what I can tell. Of course, we don't use 3-techniques, which probably explains that :mad:

MileHighSpirit
11-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Hey MUG, I noticed your DT tracker has no FFs listed. In the Oakland game Trevor Pryce caused a fumble from the DT spot. Shouldn't that count? ;)

hardcorebronco
11-17-2005, 05:54 AM
The Broncos don't need Vince Young. Even if he converts to WR. Too big a chance i say. It takes a while typically for a reciever to adjust to the NFL. And there is a good chance of Denver landing T.O. I say use our first round pick to grab that Greg Blue (S) from Georgia. Have you ever seen that guy play??? He hits just as hard as John lynch! Imagine both those hard hitters in our secondary, i feel for the WR's that try to catch a ball over the middle. Not! but anyway he's fast as well. He should be around by the time the Broncos pick. Add him to the defense and T.O. to the offense. Ouch! That would rock!

(Thats if T.O. can shut his mouth and be a team player)
Mebe a bit too hopeful but ohh well, I just dont see any room on the roster for Vince. He'll be gone by the time the Broncos pick. We need another safty beside Lynch. Sam Brandon's ok, but Blue would be a big asset.

dbdom
11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
we dont really need another hard hitter, we need more of a cover type of safety
also, if vince young turned into a WR (which i doubt he will since there are a lot of teams thinking about taking QB's this year) he would be really good, think of a better matt jones, who has started making noise at jax

JoRo
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
What round? I mean, i can say i honestly think he has made some steps as a passer....and he is definatley more polished as a qb than vick was at this point....bigger too, just not as fast

ColRockies_5
12-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Top 10 pick, although I personally don't think he will be a great NFL quarterback, that's where I think he will be chosen

BF_forever
12-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Hes going to the Ravens

The|Snake#16
12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Anywhere but denver works for me.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Top 15 pick. He'd probably fall back a bit if Quinn came out, I dont believe Jacobs would impact him if he comes out.

CoBear23
12-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Vince Young is a guranteed top five pick if he chooses to go into the draft this year. If he decides to wait until next year he will be the number one pick no matter what.

People question his throwing mechanics and I will admit that they are suspect but he just like Reggie Bush is blessed with incredible football talent that is impossible to teach.

Mike Vick was the number one draft pick the year he came into the league. Vince Young not only has better passing records he has set many school records at a school that is rich with great football players. Plus Vince has proven that he can win on a very large scale i.e. the Rose Bowl in '04

Vince Young will not be as much of a project in the NFL as some people think. He might not win the Heisman but he like Reggie Bush are one of a kind football players that we are lucky to be able to see both of them in a great national championship game.

Charlie Brown
12-09-2005, 07:48 AM
He would go to the Ravens or Saints.

Perry1977
12-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Ravens. :beer:

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Titans Cardinals

daniel80111
12-09-2005, 02:43 PM
WE MADE IT TO THE ROSE BOWL!! Just hope the Broncos get to the Super Bowl.

Jared
12-09-2005, 02:52 PM
He is a first round pick, and the bad teams who are on track to pick top 10 or 15 who need a QB the worst are NYJ and Baltimore.

It all depends on who is drafted in front of him.

The Jets will have a shot at Leinart, unless they play well down the stretch here.

New Orleans needs to let Brooks go. He has had almost 6 full seasons now to prove he can be effective, and he hasn't. Statistically, he looks ok, but watching them play shows you that he doesn't show up in big games or when relied soley upon to make plays. Young could go there, depending on draft order.

If he actually falls far enough, Oakland, Arizona, or Miami would all be interested buidling around a young QB, and their current QB rosters aren't impressive.

DBattack
01-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Who would not love to draft Vince Young...what a warrior he is

Blazindro
01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
I would have loved to, but unfortantley Washington actually did good the year we get a draft pick from them, figures. :mad:

Plastique
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
IMO Vince Young is a lesser Michael Vick. And I wouldin't want Michael Vick. If you need another name it would be Randall Cunningham and I don't think that Young is on par with him either, not by a long shot... at this point I would put BvP in the same category as these guys although with far less talent.

In the NFL QB's that are so-so passers and good runners get chewed up. Vick has sat almost two complete seasons thanks to his running talent. Cunningham's career was cut short thanks to injuries.

I want a Vince Young about as much as I want a hole in the head. The NFL wants good passers. Every now and then you'll find a good passer that is also mobile like an Elway or a (Steve)Young or a McNabb. For the most part though pocket passers like Moon, Brady, Manning, Montana etc etc are what proves to be successful in the NFL.

In college ball you'll see QB's breaking tackles against undersized LB's and DB's (which I'm seeing tonight), in the NFL you'll see QB's getting their heads knocked off by the John Lynches of league.

armedequation
01-04-2006, 10:17 PM
well young is a much better passes with vick moves and he's hard to tackle. Give him a year in the pro's and I would take him over vick

brom66an6
01-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Before this year I wanted us to draft Young. Now I know we have no chance to draft him.

broncofan303
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
well young is a much better passes with vick moves and he's hard to tackle. Give him a year in the pro's and I would take him over vick

Vick is still a sick QB, we know what he could do..he killed us at home... But Vince Young would sure look good in a bronco uni, he single-handedly carried the Horns...

watchthemiddle
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
He was 30-40 passing tonight and had 199 yards rushing. Blows Vick away.

WABronco
01-04-2006, 10:36 PM
He was 30-40 passing tonight and had 199 yards rushing. Blows Vick away.

Vick can't touch Young, running or passing...

The guy led the nation in passing effenciency, and frankly, he silenced my doubts tonight. He didn't miss an open receiver, he showed accuracy on all routes, and he had outstanding pocket presence.

As far as running, sure, Vick can run in circles better than Young, but why waste the time? A straight line is the shortest route, no? How many tackles did he break tonight? And they weren't just a bunch of weak corner tackles either. Rucker, Cushing, and Bing all got manhandled by Young...

As of right now, I'd take Young over Vick 8 days a week. Vick's had 5 years to show what he can do, and that's getting injured and missing 5 yard crossing routes...

Plastique
01-04-2006, 10:37 PM

Vick is a much better passer than Young from what I've seen. Far superior arm strength but the problem with both of them is their accuracy. Young's problem when he comes into the league though is the same as Vicks. Coaches are going to want to run him to make up for mediocre passing ability, which means he's going to take tons of punishment.

Bottom line is neither of them is accurate enough to be able to beat teams out of the pocket and once ya start running them they will (and have) get hammered by the superior talent at the LB and DB positions that exist in the NFL. College is cute but the NFL is the real deal and a QB that tries to act like a RB in the NFL always has and always will get destroyed.

armedequation
01-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Vick is a much better passer than Young from what I've seen. Far superior arm strength but the problem with both of them is their accuracy. Young's problem when he comes into the league though is the same as Vicks. Coaches are going to want to run him to make up for mediocre passing ability, which means he's going to take tons of punishment.

Bottom line is neither of them is accurate enough to be able to beat teams out of the pocket and once ya start running them they will (and have) get hammered by the superior talent at the LB and DB positions that exist in the NFL. College is cute but the NFL is the real deal and a QB that tries to act like a RB in the NFL always has and always will get destroyed.

The guy led the nation in passing effenciency....sorry but if he leads the nation in passing efficiency that doesnt mean he's a bad passer.

DrunkPanda
01-04-2006, 10:40 PM
good lord, if he somehow became a bronco, i would no longer hate the longhorns

DrunkPanda
01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
IMO Vince Young is a lesser Michael Vick. And I wouldin't want Michael Vick. If you need another name it would be Randall Cunningham and I don't think that Young is on par with him either, not by a long shot... at this point I would put BvP in the same category as these guys although with far less talent.

In the NFL QB's that are so-so passers and good runners get chewed up. Vick has sat almost two complete seasons thanks to his running talent. Cunningham's career was cut short thanks to injuries.

I want a Vince Young about as much as I want a hole in the head. The NFL wants good passers. Every now and then you'll find a good passer that is also mobile like an Elway or a (Steve)Young or a McNabb. For the most part though pocket passers like Moon, Brady, Manning, Montana etc etc are what proves to be successful in the NFL.

In college ball you'll see QB's breaking tackles against undersized LB's and DB's (which I'm seeing tonight), in the NFL you'll see QB's getting their heads knocked off by the John Lynches of league.
actually, he's a better BVP. he's a BVP that is faster and can actually throw the ball.

Plastique
01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
The guy led the nation in passing effenciency....sorry but if he leads the nation in passing efficiency that doesnt mean he's a bad passer.

Sorry, I'm not a big stat guy... I've seen him in only 3 games this year so I may be missing something. I judge players by what I see them do. My judgement of his passing ability is only from what I've seen and nothing more.

Guess we'll see next year when he goes into the bigs.

Plastique
01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
actually, he's a better BVP. he's a BVP that is faster and can actually throw the ball.

I meant to say that BvP is in the same category as those guys but BvP is far less talented than them... just the same 'type' of QB. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

ReleaseTheBeast7
01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll tell you, after watching tonight's game, I've realized that that dude is a WARRIOR!

What a player, man.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
IMO Vince Young is a lesser Michael Vick. And I wouldin't want Michael Vick.

Any Marcus or Micheal Vick cannot touch Vince my man Young!

Vince Young.......personality, poise, heart, all out gamer.
A "running" QB with the best passer rating in college? ***** pleeeeaase!

MVP for sho

WABronco
I meant to say that BvP is in the same category as those guys but BvP is far less talented than them... just the same 'type' of QB. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Well make it crystal clear from now on dude! It's straight up death on these boards!!! :goofy:

elwaysbrother
Here it comes... All the reggie bush hype is now going to be vince young hype. I honestly felt like the better team lost and hate that. So the guy runs half the time. That's not an NFL quaterback. Look a vick, the most overrated overpaid qb in the nfl. NFL defenses and defensive schemes are much tougher to pass against the USC's defense. So he will come in the NFL, get hit by Ray lewis or John lynch and it will be over. You can't run like that in the nfl. Even vick is getting worn down already, u can see it. Look at the best NFL qbs. They don't run like that. Jake has alot of running ability but he doesnt' do it much, that's because he has really matured as a QB. Garunteed Vince will be an NFL bust. Overpaid, overhyped, bust.

Plastique
01-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Vick is still a sick QB, we know what he could do..he killed us at home... But Vince Young would sure look good in a bronco uni, he single-handedly carried the Horns...

Vick is fun to watch but given the amount of time he's spent in the tank plus the fact that his play style has only taken them deep into the playoffs once... makes me wonder. He's a great player but without rings he's an asterik.

I watched RC play a long time ago and he was awesome, but he's a sidenote since he never came close to winning the SB. If a QB's playstyle doesn't win them the big game, I don't care how fun they are to watch they are a footnote. I talked to someone in the mid 20's the other day and he had never heard of Randall Cunningham.... thats what is waiting for Vick at this point.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Garunteed Vince will be an NFL bust.

LOL......LOL......LOL......

Best Passer rating in college football......... :confused:

Yes........a "running" QB beats out the pocket passer with his ARM! and legs.

His stock has most def gone up,,,

sinner32
01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
sup guys :)

after watching his amazing performance in the rose bowl
an interesting but not so fun thought came across my mind.

Imagine al davis hiring Mike Martz and drafting vince young if he declares himself eligible for the upcoming draft.

elwaysbrother
01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
you have to look at why his passer rating is so good. Just because he runs around which pulls the Db's and then obviosly people will be more open to pass to, doesn't make him a better passer than Leinart or a real drop back passer. Wow, i can't believe the hype is getting to people's brains this much already. Is jake a better passer than tom brady or payton manning? I love jake but his best passing comes from when is running around. Same principle but to me jake is a much more complete QB than Vince. I would take jake any day over vince. Until he really proves himself in the NFL, i won't be impressed with a Michael vick clone.

Atwater His Ass
01-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Great Rose Bowl performance, no doubt. But I see him as another Mike Vick and struggling in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Young as being more than an average NFL quarterback. I think he'd be a better RB or WR.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Michael vick clone.

not even a compareson.......what do you get when you put Tom Brady and Micheal Vick in a blendor?????

VINCE YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elwaysbrother
01-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Atwater, you know what you are talking about. This is the same hype that Vick had. Running qb's don't make great nfl Qb's. It's not hard to understand. Great college, sure. NFL... no way.

elwaysbrother
01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
wow i can tell by your sig that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Plastique
01-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Over the years I've seen so many Heisman winners tank in the NFL and so many great college prospects do nothing in the NFL that I'm very sceptical of alot of what I see in college ball.

Div-I ball is about the equivilant of AAA baseball, although there is alot more hype, but really college ball is the minor leagues for the NFL. There are some players you will see in college that are so transcendent that you know they will be standouts once they get to the big show. But the VAST majority are the Herschel Walkers... guys that did well enough in college to get a Heisman but did nothing at all in the NFL.

Over the years I've learned to ignore the hype and just watch the players on the field.

Reggie Bush: Small back, decent speed and moves, probably going to play behind the worst O Line in the NFL next year... looking like a greasespot.

Vince Young: Don't care about his stats, I've seen some problems with accuracy and his running ability is probably going to put him in a dangerous position where he's running alot. Time will tell.

Etc Etc. I haven't really cared much about college ball for well over a decade, I see college as a farm league for the NFL. I don't get into college hype at all and only view it in terms of how the players coming into the NFL might perform.

Android
01-04-2006, 11:14 PM
yea but vince young was 30/40 in completions for 267 yards passing and 19 carries for 200 yards rushing in the "Championship" game. Vick didnt play half as well as young did tonight (15/29 in completions for 225 yards and 23 carries for 97 yards rushing) in his championship game against the Noles. Vince is a good QB. Not great but you put a talented team around the guy and he'll be (in the words of Jim Rome) "Freaking Phenomenal!!!!!!!!!"

Notorious
01-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Great Rose Bowl performance, no doubt. But I see him as another Mike Vick and struggling in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Young as being more than an average NFL quarterback. I think he'd be a better RB or WR.

He is a better passer and more physical than mike vick, may not be as fast....and definitly is not a Running Back...dont know what you are smoking there....

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Time will tell.
Smartest statement you can make when it comes to college players regardless of stats.....CP for YOU!

wow i can tell by your sig that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Lol......maybe it is time to change the sig.........but only time can tell.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Great college, sure. NFL... no way.

Key Words: "no way"

I love when players show the doubters whats up. I love running QB's

Key words: "Quarter Back"

That right....a back, I think they should run the ball.....and throw......Vince Young can do that......better than Vick.......alot better.

DrunkPanda
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
young can stand in the pocket and throw. he's not a one dimensional running quarterback

watchthemiddle
01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I am glad someone started this thread because I was thinking the same thing. What draft pick does the Raiders have and they do need a QB. He could go to the Raiders or Jets. I would face Vick 10 times a year over this guy twice. He made a believer out of me tonight. Say what you want about Vick, but this guy blows him away.

brom66an6
01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
young can stand in the pocket and throw. he's not a one dimensional running quarterback

Exactly most of his passes were right on target and they came from standing in the pocket.

watchthemiddle
01-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Exactly most of his passes were right on target and they came from standing in the pocket.

Thats an interesting observation and one thing you NEVER see is Young throw on the run. He runs well with the ball, but I am not sure I can recall him ever throwing on the run. Just a thought. He is a good pocket passer and about 5" taller than Vick so thats probably why he is a better pocket passer than Vick.

SeekandDestroy
01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
If you were an NFL gm, who would you rather build your franchise around, vick or young?

DBattack
01-04-2006, 11:41 PM
haha young no question.... i dont like vick at all

Interpol
01-04-2006, 11:44 PM
How about neither since they are both pretty stupid?

Have you listened to both of them speak? It's like listening to a hooked on phonics commerical in the "before" section. Too bad there's no "after" for either of them.

DBattack
01-04-2006, 11:45 PM
hmmmmmmmmm such a good point, since jake is so smart ya know

watchthemiddle
01-04-2006, 11:46 PM

Have you listened to both of them speak? It's like listening to a hooked on phonics commerical in the "before" section. Too bad there's no "after" for either of them.

What does the way they talk have to do with their ability to win championships and play football? Better re-evaluate your 'stupid' comment and check yourself.

Denver724
01-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Let the games begin. A couple of questions to ponder:

-Will Vince Young make the same mistake as Leinart and come back for his senior season (and lose millions)?

-Will the Texans turn their back on Bush and draft HOME STATE product Vince Young?

-If the Texans take Young and the Saints take Leinart will Bush, who everyone before tonight called a once in a generation player, fall to #3?

Tonight's game raised a lot more questions than answers.

DBattack
01-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Vince Young reminds me alot of a Donovan McNabb but bigger and a stronger arm....

watchthemiddle
01-04-2006, 11:48 PM
The Texans have a QB, and how did Leinart lose millions?

Interpol
01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
What does the way they talk have to do with their ability to win championships and play football? Better re-evaluate your 'stupid' comment and check yourself.

Let's see.... Stupid player plus complex NFL offense. Do the math. How are the Falcon's going to do in the playoffs this year behind Mike Vick?

The Dark Knight
01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Wrong Forum.

:duh:

jletourneau
01-04-2006, 11:50 PM
The biggest thing that would set Vince Young apart for me is his competitive nature and drive to win.

Michael Vick highlighted more true colors lately with comments he has made that makes you question his commitment level, but Vince has a resilliancy about him that is very strong.

Young has that quirky release and all, and will be tweaked some at the next level, but tonights 30-40 on passing attempts in the national championship game is pretty big if you ask me. 75% completion percentage, that is ridiculous.

I'm not a huge Vick fan, I believe he can be a VERY dynamic player, but my personal choice would be Vince Young, primarily for the heart and determination he shows on the field.

Vince Young knows how to be a GREAT leader.

Archimedes Owl
01-04-2006, 11:50 PM

My idea of what "stupid" is these days may be warped by spending time on the internet, but neither of them strike me as unintelligent. I mean, I don't look at them and say, "Wow, these guys are smart", but I also don't think that either of them seem all that dumb.

Besides that, you don't have to be a genius to play football. Not even if you play quarterback. Of course, you can't be a moron either, but having good instincts and quick decision making ability (Different from being intelligent or smart in my books) is more important.

Anyway, I'd probably rather have Vick at this point in his development, but I am impressed by Vince Young. He has a chance to be a very good quarterback at the next level.

DBattack
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Vince Young....3.6 in college, yea real stupid

just because he's black and has a different dialect doesnt mean he is stupid

watchthemiddle
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Let's see.... Stupid player plus complex NFL offense. Do the math. How are the Falcon's going to do in the playoffs this year behind Mike Vick?

Again, what makes them stupid and if you are talking about the way the talk, then was Bo Jackson stupid? How about Chad Johnson or Clinton Portis?

Again, check yourself before you go and say someone is stupid because of the way they talk.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Young no doubt fo sho.

Can't compare him to Vick. What.....what......was that....

A running QG with the best arm and college passer rating in college football

:confused:

Young without a doubt

The Dark Knight
01-04-2006, 11:52 PM
The Texans have a QB, and how did Leinart lose millions?

Every team in the league has a QB.

He's saying because of Vince Youngs impressive performance in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, he has moved himself up passed Leinery and Reggie Bush on the Texans wish list.

Vince Young is probably better than David Carr now.

At least he'll be able to move when the protection breaks down.

If Vince Young gets drafted first, it means less money for everyone else.

:duh:

bcbronc
01-04-2006, 11:59 PM
the only question mark in my mind about vince young is how he will hold up to nfl hitters every week. but i think he will deal with it just fine. during the rose bowl they said he led the nation in passing efficiency. he definately seems to have much better touch than vick does. i think vick is a good quarterback, but i think vince young is already a more well rounded one.

i'd take vince young.

Wanobe
01-05-2006, 12:01 AM
not really sure

they are both young players to build your franchise around but alot of great players from college dont live up to their hype and young im not sold on yet but if he plays in the pros like he does in college then young

BroncoTouchdown
01-05-2006, 12:04 AM
I'd go with Vince Young.

I mean, the guy had 267 passing yards, 200 rushing, 3 TDs, 0 ints, and went 30/40 passing in this Rose Bowl, and is the first player in NCAA history to rush for over 1,000 yards and pass for over 2,500 in a season. He also shows a lot of talent, ability, heart, determination, leadership, and clutch play that all far surpass Vick's. He's also the most efficient passer in the NCAA. :beer: :D

BroncoTouchdown
01-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Vince Young had 267 passing yards, 200 rushing, 3 TDs, 0 ints, and went 30/40 passing in this Rose Bowl, and is the first player in NCAA history to rush for over 1,000 yards and pass for over 2,500 in a single season. He also shows a lot of talent, ability, heart, determination, leadership, and clutch play that all far surpass Vick's. One other important little fact: Vince Young is the most efficient passer in the NCAA.

'Nuff Said.

rush_limbaughII
01-05-2006, 12:29 AM

Who cares about how they talk. They are not philosophy professors. Vince Young is impressive and seems to be very composed under pressure.

armedequation
01-05-2006, 12:31 AM
"Etc Etc. I haven't really cared much about college ball for well over a decade, I see college as a farm league for the NFL. I don't get into college hype at all and only view it in terms of how the players coming into the NFL might perform."

then your missing out on the excitement that is college sports. I dont watch it as much but the fact that contenders cant lose a game makes it that much more interesting. Every game makes an impact unlike the nfl.

Archimedes Owl
01-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Who cares about how they talk. They are not philosophy professors. Vince Young is impressive and seems to be very composed under pressure.
If you're really Rush Limbaugh, you should be suggesting ridiculous things about how people only consider him talented at all because he's black.

Some Rush Limbaugh you turned out to be.

bronxs
01-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, to this day vick, but in 2-3 years, vince young totally. This guy is a stud. I know football is a team sport, but I think vince young 80% why they beat USC.

charcoal01
01-05-2006, 02:38 AM
my vote.... neither.

vick is definetly the more gifted athlete of the two, able to throw a perfect spiral and hit a moving target with either hand and runs a sub 4.3 40. but i think the falcons made a major mistake signing him to that huge contract extension. when the pressure is on, vick is the last person i'd want to have the ball in his hands.

young does have the ideal everything as far as a prototype quaterback but i really think he'll be forced to unlearn what has made him great in college when he makes the move to the next level. overly mobil quaterbacks just dont stay healthy enough to consistently take their teams deep into the playoffs year after year.

on the above note, how much longer until the "quaterbacks of the future" are no longer vick prototypes? while these new test subjects have certainly been fun to watch over the past few years, they simply get injured too much trying to scramble and makes plays rather than letting the replaceable players around them do it for them. vick broke his leg and his team was done for the year. culpepper scrambles and blows his knee out. good old "slash" who played for the steelers(cant think of his name right now) never amounted to anything. These players are fun to watch in college where the option actually works against undisciplined defenses but it obviously doesnt work against elite level nfl teams and they're shut down in the nfl. True pocket passers, you'll always be first in my heart. except you jake, you can do whatever you want, just make sure to think pass first, then run. but hook slide, always hook slide.

Tyler_Thompson
01-05-2006, 02:45 AM
I think Young is the better of the two Vick doesn't really think at sometimes and cost the Falcons the game but Vince Young does think and runs or throws it away

danj
01-05-2006, 04:17 AM
I think Young is good enough to be a legitimate pocket passer, that being said, he has the added dimension to the running game. The kid has vision and that you can't really coach. It's not only that he CAN run, its also he knows when to run. He sees lanes open up and then he goes. I think this translates to the next level. He's not going to just run at any opportunity. He'll run when the lanes are open, and if they're not, he'll make the pass or throw it away. He may not sound smart but he has football smarts and that counts for something. Young will be great at the next level.

Atwater His Ass
01-05-2006, 06:41 AM
You don't ever see him drop back and throw however. Texas runs the shotgun 90% of the time. Half of those plays are options. He won't see a team in the NFL that runs an offense like that. I haven't seen Young as a drop back passer, and to be successful in the NFL you have to be a quality drop back passer. Having mobility is a definant plus, but should be a highlight to your passing skills, not the other way around.

Defensive players in the NFL are much stronger and faster. He won't have such a big physical advantage that he enjoys in college. And coaches in the NFL are better. They will be able to figure out his game quickly and how to neturalize him if he can't develop into a bona fide passer.

I wish him well, but I think he is an overrated pick at QB. The only argument I agree with is that he is an awesome athlete and by playing him at QB as opposed to RB or WR is that he will get the ball in his hands every play.

Jared
01-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Let the games begin. A couple of questions to ponder:

-Will Vince Young make the same mistake as Leinart and come back for his senior season (and lose millions)?

-Will the Texans turn their back on Bush and draft HOME STATE product Vince Young?

-If the Texans take Young and the Saints take Leinart will Bush, who everyone before tonight called a once in a generation player, fall to #3?

Tonight's game raised a lot more questions than answers.

Vince Young said weeks ago that he is staying.

Yes, he certainly could change his mind. But as of right now, you have to take him at his word.

Also, I don't understand how Lienart lost millions????? He had a pretty good game. Not perfect, and not anything like Young, but he plays in a different offense at USC.

Denver724
01-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Leinart lost millions because he would have went #1 last year instead of Alex Smith. Now he is looking at going #2 or lower and his contract will be much less.

On Sportcenter last night they showed Young's press conference. They asked him about coming out early (twice) and both times he said he needs to sit down with his family and talk about it. He did say him and his "momma" would discuss it last night. Sometimes these players say they are coming back before the game because they don't want to take the spotlight off of the team and put it on them.

One also has to remember that the 2007 draft and beyond could be much different after the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Both the union and the NFL want a pay structure similar to the NBA. Of course, they are having problems agreeing on a new contract, but this is something for Young to ponder.

Jared
01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Leinart lost millions because he would have went #1 last year instead of Alex Smith. Now he is looking at going #2 or lower and his contract will be much less.

Well, I am sure he thought about that, and probably the fact that he could get a career ending injury.

So, I just was curious as to why he made a mistake? I am sure he figures that after a certain point, several millions of dollars don't really matter. :P

I didn't watch any post game stuff. I have to be at work by 5am, so I went to bed. So I was unaware that Young had changed his stance.

Jared
01-05-2006, 08:54 AM

I think Young's mechanics are weird, but he his bigger, stronger, and more accurate that Vick was at VaTech, or is now with Atlanta.

I see him more in the mold of Steve Mcnair or Donovan McNabb coming out of college. An athletic QB with talent who might need a few seasons to learn the nuances of a pro offense, and be more comfortable in the pocket.

So, I think the Vick comparison's are inaccurate.

Emancipator
01-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Vince had a great game against a great team.

DAYNETRAYNE
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Vince Young is the best college QB in the league........

BroncoStampede
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Please come out Vincey! The more non D-Lineman taken before us, the better.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Mel Kiper Jr says Vince Young will go before Leinart now, and possibly #1 overall.

OhNoKoolAid
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I think Young's mechanics are weird, but he his bigger, stronger, and more accurate that Vick was at VaTech, or is now with Atlanta.

I see him more in the mold of Steve Mcnair or Donovan McNabb coming out of college. An athletic QB with talent who might need a few seasons to learn the nuances of a pro offense, and be more comfortable in the pocket.

So, I think the Vick comparison's are inaccurate.

Seriously guys, all these Vick comparisons just aren't fair...to Mike Vick.

Young looked like a coaches dream last night, a highly accurate passer that makes plays with his feet as well. Young looked like everything people want Vick to be, and Vick will never be.

Funny thing is, Young has been doing this all season, but everyone's been wanting to see more, but when he duplicates his success in the championship game, his skill set is finally justified. It's not fair, but running QBs are getting a bad rap from their NFL counterparts that it is refreshing to see a guy like Young take so much pride in wanting to be a winner in all areas, not to just prove people he can pass, as Vick failed to do.

The McNabb comparison would be the same one I'd make.

jletourneau
01-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Seriously guys, all these Vick comparisons just aren't fair...to Mike Vick.

Young looked like a coaches dream last night, a highly accurate passer that makes plays with his feet as well. Young looked like everything people want Vick to be, and Vick will never be.

Funny thing is, Young has been doing this all season, but everyone's been wanting to see more, but when he duplicates his success in the championship game, his skill set is finally justified. It's not fair, but running QBs are getting a bad rap from their NFL counterparts that it is refreshing to see a guy like Young take so much pride in wanting to be a winner in all areas, not to just prove people he can pass, as Vick failed to do.

The McNabb comparison would be the same one I'd make.

What impresses me most about Vince Young, other than his talent, is his leadership and heart.

Vince is ultra competitive, which led me to believe the moment after he lost the Heisman that Texas WOULD beat USC on Young's competitive nature alone. He is a supreme leader and I do not believe he will allow himself to be on the latter side of a "bust or boom" talent as many have indicated.

This is what lowers Vick's value in my mind, not that he's a running QB but I believe that he's becoming equally interested in other business ventures outside of football, like this new agent thing he's helping start, and seems to lack the drive to win at all costs when concentrating on football.

Another example of such is his latest comments after being eliminated from the playoffs in which Jim Mora Jr. seemed to take great umbrage with, and with good reason.

Vick was not all there for the Falcons this year, his heart did not seem to be in it as in the past.

This is where I believe Young will excel in the league. If I'm the Tennessee Titans and he's there at #3, I bring him in to sit under his already familiar mentor, Steve McNair, and groom him until he's ready to take over. It's a perfect match IMO and would allow the Titans to move Billy Volek in a trade to a QB starved team like the Jets who want someone to come in and compete with Pennington and be there as insurance if Pennington is not healthy enough to go. Also, in that scenario Volek would obviously be reunited with his forer OC in Mike Heimerdinger and could play in the offense he started to thrive in previously in Tennessee.

I have no problem with Vince Young in the NFL, I believe his leadership and competitive nature will grab the attention of many teammates and invoke belief as it did in his Texas squad. The only problem I would have with Vince Young is if he ends up a Raider. :mad:

OhNoKoolAid
01-05-2006, 08:25 PM
What impresses me most about Vince Young, other than his talent, is his leadership and heart.

Vince is ultra competitive, which led me to believe the moment after he lost the Heisman that Texas WOULD beat USC on Young's competitive nature alone. He is a supreme leader and I do not believe he will allow himself to be on the latter side of a "bust or boom" talent as many have indicated.

This is what lowers Vick's value in my mind, not that he's a running QB but I believe that he's becoming equally interested in other business ventures outside of football, like this new agent thing he's helping start, and seems to lack the drive to win at all costs when concentrating on football.

Another example of such is his latest comments after being eliminated from the playoffs in which Jim Mora Jr. seemed to take great umbrage with, and with good reason.

Vick was not all there for the Falcons this year, his heart did not seem to be in it as in the past.

This is where I believe Young will excel in the league. If I'm the Tennessee Titans and he's there at #3, I bring him in to sit under his already familiar mentor, Steve McNair, and groom him until he's ready to take over. It's a perfect match IMO and would allow the Titans to move Billy Volek in a trade to a QB starved team like the Jets who want someone to come in and compete with Pennington and be there as insurance if Pennington is not healthy enough to go. Also, in that scenario Volek would obviously be reunited with his forer OC in Mike Heimerdinger and could play in the offense he started to thrive in previously in Tennessee.

I have no problem with Vince Young in the NFL, I believe his leadership and competitive nature will grab the attention of many teammates and invoke belief as it did in his Texas squad. The only problem I would have with Vince Young is if he ends up a Raider. :mad:

I agree with everything said here.

One problem I had with Vick was that he reacts poorly to criticism and seems to always try to prove doubters wrong, rather than winning a football game. If you're a QB in the NFL, you are placed on an unfair pedistal before the team. The best way to deal with this is to befriend the media (Manning, McNabb) and to just win fooball games. When you simply try to show everyone you can do something while still losing, you aren't inspiring hope in anyone.

I did not like hearing that Young went over to the Gameday table asking who the Heisman is now. That's JA behavior and he needs to let that crap go. Still, I don't think his play was effected by this and I truley believe he was in it for his team the entire way. He has all the tools to succeed and be a top five QB, but he has a little more maturing to do before I'm satisfied with his attitude. As it is, he's still a top five pick.

jletourneau
01-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I agree with everything said here.

One problem I had with Vick was that he reacts poorly to criticism and seems to always try to prove doubters wrong, rather than winning a football game. If you're a QB in the NFL, you are placed on an unfair pedistal before the team. The best way to deal with this is to befriend the media (Manning, McNabb) and to just win fooball games. When you simply try to show everyone you can do something while still losing, you aren't inspiring hope in anyone.

I did not like hearing that Young went over to the Gameday table asking who the Heisman is now. That's JA behavior and he needs to let that crap go. Still, I don't think his play was effected by this and I truley believe he was in it for his team the entire way. He has all the tools to succeed and be a top five QB, but he has a little more maturing to do before I'm satisfied with his attitude. As it is, he's still a top five pick.

I agree completely.

But somehow missed Young saying that to the Game Day crew. I understand what he would be saying, but it doesn't need to be said and is an insult to Reggie Bush, no matter what Young did last night.

But all in all, that is simply a weakness that comes from his competitive strength and like you said, just needs some maturing. Which will happen with time.

OhNoKoolAid
01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I agree completely.

But somehow missed Young saying that to the Game Day crew. I understand what he would be saying, but it doesn't need to be said and is an insult to Reggie Bush, no matter what Young did last night.

But all in all, that is simply a weakness that comes from his competitive strength and like you said, just needs some maturing. Which will happen with time.

Absolutely, and with a good mentor, like McNair, looking over his shoulder for a year, he will be better prepared to take on the rigors of the position. He proved last night that he doesn't need elite playmakers around him to make things happen. That was a very young skill core he managed to guide to a championship. That alone can not be overstated.

jletourneau
01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Absolutely, and with a good mentor, like McNair, looking over his shoulder for a year, he will be better prepared to take on the rigors of the position. He proved last night that he doesn't need elite playmakers around him to make things happen. That was a very young skill core he managed to guide to a championship. That alone can not be overstated.

So.... when he finally makes his decision, do you think he will declare?

I'm very torn. I obviously think he should, because I don't think he can do too much to improve his stock, he's coming off a national championship and the best game of his life. He won't have anywhere else to play where his stock could go down since personal workouts are geared for extra success. I can't really think of many reasons he shouldn't come out. Strike while its hot.

But, that doesn't mean he'll come out of course. I hope he does, I'd really do think Tennessee would be a perfect fit for him and Jeff Fisher would be a tremendous first coach with McNair on board and the genius of Norm Chow who has worked with 3/4 deliveries before at NC state with Phillip Rivers.

Think he'll declare?

OhNoKoolAid
01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
So.... when he finally makes his decision, do you think he will declare?

I'm very torn. I obviously think he should, because I don't think he can do too much to improve his stock, he's coming off a national championship and the best game of his life. He won't have anywhere else to play where his stock could go down since personal workouts are geared for extra success. I can't really think of many reasons he shouldn't come out. Strike while its hot.

But, that doesn't mean he'll come out of course. I hope he does, I'd really do think Tennessee would be a perfect fit for him and Jeff Fisher would be a tremendous first coach with McNair on board and the genius of Norm Chow who has worked with 3/4 deliveries before at NC state with Phillip Rivers.

Think he'll declare?

He's tough to figure, but if I had to guess, he seemed to be leaning towards leaving last night. I could see him wanting to return to win the Heisman, but that award is a hype award, and Young's name will be too saturated to give him a good chance to win it over a guy like Adrian Peterson, who could storm back to the top. It sounds silly, but you don't get two chances to win the award everytime, unlike the USC guys.

He needs to declare, and I think he will, but he's just stubborn enough...

jletourneau
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
He's tough to figure, but if I had to guess, he seemed to be leaning towards leaving last night. I could see him wanting to return to win the Heisman, but that award is a hype award, and Young's name will be too saturated to give him a good chance to win it over a guy like Adrian Peterson, who could storm back to the top. It sounds silly, but you don't get two chances to win the award everytime, unlike the USC guys.

He needs to declare, and I think he will, but he's just stubborn enough...

Just read an article on ESPN with some comments from Young from his appearance today on Leno, which will air tonight.

Should be an interesting watch, no matter what he "says" about leaving, I think body language, etc. will speak volumes and may tip us of to which way he's leaning.

If I had to guess, I'd say he will too.

dabreeze1984
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Im from Texas so I appreciate what he did for UT, but Vince Young will not be a good NFL QB. The run first pass second QB are fun to watch but do not produce wins. Im all for drafting a QB but Young would not be the one to draft if we sunk that low to get him we may as well pick Leinhart. And knowing Shananigans tendencies we would prolly wait to get Marcus Vick or something like that. Can never have enough trouble makers. I also think that we should sign T.O. Im not sure what the cap situation but that would be the ultimate edition.

Skywalker
01-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Just read an article on ESPN with some comments from Young from his appearance today on Leno, which will air tonight.

Should be an interesting watch, no matter what he "says" about leaving, I think body language, etc. will speak volumes and may tip us of to which way he's leaning.

If I had to guess, I'd say he will too.

I agree completely with what you and OhNo are saying....the Titans would be just perfect for him. I think the McNair and McNabb comparisons are good ones.

I think he'll end up there....the Saints will probally take Leinert. even though Young is a way better QB than Aaron Brooks....I dont think the Saints want to have another running QB.

Im gonna miss ya Vince....Im gonna miss ya. Good luck in the NFL and I'll be cheering for you. To bad the Broncos have no shot at you....

watchthemiddle
01-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree completely with what you and OhNo are saying....the Titans would be just perfect for him. I think the McNair and McNabb comparisons are good ones.

I think he'll end up there....the Saints will probally take Leinert. even though Young is a way better QB than Aaron Brooks....I dont think the Saints want to have another running QB.

Im gonna miss ya Vince....Im gonna miss ya. Good luck in the NFL and I'll be cheering for you. To bad the Broncos have no shot at you....

Don't count him going to Tennessee so fast. Listened to a talk show today that had a Houston reporter/show host on it and he really thinks Young is going to go to the Texans. Young grew up 2 miles from Reliant Stadium. He would sit the first year much like Mcnair did, and he would immediatly give the Texans and their fans something to cheer about. Carr's game would step up because he would want his trade value to go up knowing Young is the future. The guy was really making sense and coming from the Houston area and being the writer for the Texans, he knew what he was talking about. Add all of that with Kubiak coming as the HC and things could be looking up for the Texans.

Skywalker
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Don't count him going to Tennessee so fast. Listened to a talk show today that had a Houston reporter/show host on it and he really thinks Young is going to go to the Texans. Young grew up 2 miles from Reliant Stadium. He would sit the first year much like Mcnair did, and he would immediatly give the Texans and their fans something to cheer about. Carr's game would step up because he would want his trade value to go up knowing Young is the future. The guy was really making sense and coming from the Houston area and being the writer for the Texans, he knew what he was talking about. Add all of that with Kubiak coming as the HC and things could be looking up for the Texans.

true.

this guy on another board said the Texans already said they will pick Bush if he comes out....I could ask him for a link.

but yeah that would make perfect sense to. because he could just run when he's gonna be sacked :D

watchthemiddle
01-09-2006, 09:43 PM
true.

this guy on another board said the Texans already said they will pick Bush if he comes out....I could ask him for a link.

but yeah that would make perfect sense to. because he could just run when he's gonna be sacked :D

The Texans have the #1 pick overall so that means they also have the first pick in the second round so that like the 32 pick or something. THey have 7 picks after the number one pick so they could pick up the o-line talent they much need along with other positions.

myoung
01-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Here is your link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2283797

If you guys could just do some research it would help the thread along.

here is the issue. Most of you have claimed that the Texans would take Young because he is from Houston and it would help fill the seats as well as his talent.

here is the problem with that. The Texans sold out every game this year and already look to sell out every game last year. houston is a football city and Bush will sell almost as well as Young. So the financial impact is not nearly what some are making it out to be. The notions of Young going to the Texans are that of wishful thinkers in Houston. The problem is that Bush and Leinart just don't have real question marks and while Young played well in the rose bowl there is really not much evidence that he will even be as good as Randall Cunningham was. He might be as good a scrambler but he is not even near the passer that Randall was. And we seem to forget that Randall was out of the league after not too long. Young is a superhero in Texas right now and some of that will fade by the draft.

The texans know the problem is the O-Line and many say Davis is already the answer at RB so they don't need Bush. Not so fast. Davis is always hurt and his YPC are extremely low for a RB in this league. he has also had serious fumbling problems.

Bush will go number 1 outside of a major catastrophe before draft day.

Leinart will go number 2 because the Saints are just tired of having a QB like Young. Aaron Brooks had all the talent in the world but was sporadic as heck and many feel Young could have the same struggles. They need a prototype passer to get the ball out to the talented players they have on their roster. While USC was in the process of losing Leinart was throwing incredibly accurate passes and probably looked better to scouts than Young did. Keep in mind that USC's receivers were covered and Texas were not. Young also was running against a D that could not tackle. Leinart put on a show flinging that ball around and did nothing to discourage anyone from taking him in the top 2.

Who will go 3? I think that will depend on how well Young impresses the scouts. My money is on D'Brick and Young will slide. But that is my gut feel.

I would guess right now that if Quinn came out that he would go before Young and there is a decent chance, based on team needs, that Cutler could go before Young. This could especially be true if Young shows he can't throw the deep ball and hit a receiver on the run. Like he proved all year. Young does not have the scrambling skill set that Vick does plus he has concerns about his throwing motion, arm strength and accuracy.

Broncosinindy
01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
the texans would be stupid to pick up ANOTHER qb. i think the texans need to give him a oline.. and see what he can do if he cant do it get rid of him, but to get rid of him for another Qb is just dumb..

if i were the texans i would get a quality o lineman in free agency, draft bush ...trade for one of denvers first rounders... get anotehr quality olineman and maybe there second rounder for a wide out...

it would benefit denver as well .. (we hope)lol

dabreeze1984
01-10-2006, 06:32 PM
If the Titans decide to draft a qb i see them trading up to get Matt Leinhart. With Norm Chow already the OC it would be a perfect fit. Even though Vince Young has been working with Steve McNair since he was in HS, it will not be up to him. I see Big Vince going to NO/SA I think that would be a good fit, that will help them sell tickets. Look for Steve McNair to be a free agent this year and Miami to be interested. This off season should be fun to watch