PDA

View Full Version : Callahan Bemused By Response to Gesture

aberdien
11-02-2005, 04:32 PM
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Calling the hubbub over his apparent throat-slash motion toward an official "Gesture-gate," Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said he wasn't worried about possible disciplinary action.

"I don't think they're going to send me to Alcatraz," Callahan said Tuesday.

Callahan said he was surprised the issue has become so hot.

The state's two largest newspapers on Tuesday ran pictures of Callahan making a slashing motion across his throat with his right hand, index finger extended. The incident occurred after Callahan argued with referee Steve Usechek about no holding being called on Kejuan Jones' 17-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter of Saturday's game. OU won 31-24.

Callahan on Monday denied that he made a throat-slashing gesture toward Usechek or any other official.

On Tuesday he acknowledged that he made a "gesture out of frustration," but that it wasn't a throat slash.

"I'm 49 years old, and I don't go around [making] throat-slashing signs and symbols," Callahan said. "I don't use that type of demeanor, and I never have. This is way blown out of proportion. I don't know where we get all these gang symbols and allegations. This is 'Gesture-gate' or something."

The gesture, he said, was one he makes toward his children when "I've had it up to here."

Callahan said he hasn't seen video or pictures of the incident. He said the game film he watches is one intended for coaches, and it does not include footage of the sideline.

Callahan said he spoke with Big 12 supervisor of officials Tim Millis on Monday night and assured him that there was no malicious intent toward any official.

Callahan pointed out that he was not flagged and that he was not aware of an official noting the incident in the game report. In college football, a throat-slashing gesture is a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty.

Millis did not immediately return a phone call left at his office Tuesday by The Associated Press.

Nebraska athletics director Steve Pederson said he has been asked by the Big 12 to look into the matter.

Conference rules require Pederson to report his findings, including disciplinary action, if any, taken against Callahan. Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg could accept Pederson's report or, if he sees fit, upgrade disciplinary action against Callahan.

Callahan said he was trying to make a point with officials during his sideline tirade.

"I'm going to fight for my team, for my players, and that's my prerogative as a head coach," Callahan said. "If I don't think something is right, if I think something is unjust, I'm going to speak up. I certainly did that on Saturday."

mrsolo
11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Calling the hubbub over his apparent throat-slash motion toward an official "Gesture-gate," Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said he wasn't worried about possible disciplinary action.

"I don't think they're going to send me to Alcatraz," Callahan said Tuesday.

Callahan said he was surprised the issue has become so hot.

The state's two largest newspapers on Tuesday ran pictures of Callahan making a slashing motion across his throat with his right hand, index finger extended. The incident occurred after Callahan argued with referee Steve Usechek about no holding being called on Kejuan Jones' 17-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter of Saturday's game. OU won 31-24.

Callahan on Monday denied that he made a throat-slashing gesture toward Usechek or any other official.

On Tuesday he acknowledged that he made a "gesture out of frustration," but that it wasn't a throat slash.

"I'm 49 years old, and I don't go around [making] throat-slashing signs and symbols," Callahan said. "I don't use that type of demeanor, and I never have. This is way blown out of proportion. I don't know where we get all these gang symbols and allegations. This is 'Gesture-gate' or something."

The gesture, he said, was one he makes toward his children when "I've had it up to here."

Callahan said he hasn't seen video or pictures of the incident. He said the game film he watches is one intended for coaches, and it does not include footage of the sideline.

Callahan said he spoke with Big 12 supervisor of officials Tim Millis on Monday night and assured him that there was no malicious intent toward any official.

Callahan pointed out that he was not flagged and that he was not aware of an official noting the incident in the game report. In college football, a throat-slashing gesture is a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty.

Millis did not immediately return a phone call left at his office Tuesday by The Associated Press.

Nebraska athletics director Steve Pederson said he has been asked by the Big 12 to look into the matter.

Conference rules require Pederson to report his findings, including disciplinary action, if any, taken against Callahan. Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg could accept Pederson's report or, if he sees fit, upgrade disciplinary action against Callahan.

Callahan said he was trying to make a point with officials during his sideline tirade.

"I'm going to fight for my team, for my players, and that's my prerogative as a head coach," Callahan said. "If I don't think something is right, if I think something is unjust, I'm going to speak up. I certainly did that on Saturday."

Callahan is an idiot. I don't know who he thinks he's going to fool. Anyone who saw the gesture could easily see he slashed his hand accross his throat. Was it a hold that was missed? Yes. I'm a huge OU fan and I'll admit there were several calls missed in that game. But that doesn't excuse Callahan for acting the way he did. I really hope you get a good coach there soon. He's killing Nebraska, from a respect standpoint. I've always had great respect for Nebraska and enjoyed the rivalry.

I'd bet you a million dollars that Tom Osborne would never have screamed "F*&^ing hillbillies" to the OU crowd!! :coffee:

Snk16
11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
How can you deny not doing that when they got you on tape?

He's an idiot. This is the same guy who called his team the dumbest team in the America. Of course they were though.

aberdien
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I really hope he gets fired at the end of the season. Nebraska is NOT a West Coast Offense. They are option run.

BRING BACK SOLICH!!!

Snk16
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Callahan has been reprimanded.

Reported by the Hot List.

Big Buck 1981
11-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Wow, really it's not that big of a deal...the max punishment is $2,500 and on his salary, that's a drop in the bucket.

As far as Solich goes, Ohio can keep him...Callahan shouldn't be punished because he can't win with a team primarily composed of Solich's poor recruits.

While I don't condone what Callahan did and do believe actions such as that bring shame to the program, that official Usechek has always hated Nebraska, I've never seen him call a fair game for us.

BTW, isn't it odd with Nebraska's pressure and blitz heavy defense that our opponents have such a low amount of holding penalties when playing against us? Maybe I'm strange, but I find that more than a little bit odd.

rcsodak
11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
BTW, isn't it odd with Nebraska's pressure and blitz heavy defense that our opponents have such a low amount of holding penalties when playing against us? Maybe I'm strange, but I find that more than a little bit odd.

Well, with 9, count'em, 9, sacks on you qb, don't you think more holding calls should have been called on your huskers?????? ;)

Big Buck 1981
11-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, with 9, count'em, 9, sacks on you qb, don't you think more holding calls should have been called on your huskers?????? ;)

Obviously not if he got sacked 9 times...our line can't block anybody, let alone hold them! :duh: :goofy:

Nick7
11-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Obviously not if he got sacked 9 times...our line can't block anybody, let alone hold them! :duh: :goofy:

He means hold them to avoid sacks. Seems like a pretty good idea, I guess it is an unwritten rule that if you are playing the Huskers it is perfectly fine to hold. Are you kidding me though, that one on 3 and 14 was so blatant, like the one(s) on the td by Kejaun. :mad:

rcsodak
11-04-2005, 11:24 PM
He means hold them to avoid sacks. Seems like a pretty good idea, I guess it is an unwritten rule that if you are playing the Huskers it is perfectly fine to hold. Are you kidding me though, that one on 3 and 14 was so blatant, like the one(s) on the td by Kejaun. :mad:
Will it make you feel better if us sooner faithful apologize for that missed call?

Even though, they'd have prolly scored anyway....... :cheers:

Big Buck 1981
11-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Will it make you feel better if us sooner faithful apologize for that missed call?

Even though, they'd have prolly scored anyway....... :cheers:

Neither sooner fans, coaches, nor players should apologize...they did nothing wrong.

However, the officials should apologize for an obviously blown call, but their word is somehow infallable, therefore I have no expectation at all for an apology...because they blow calls all the time and never say a word or issue a statement apologizing for their idiocy.