PDA

View Full Version : What's Your take Defensive Backs?

db32
11-03-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm lookin' for a sounding board. I like to do this stuff on my own since I lost all confidence in any of the popular gurus (justifiably so). Thusly, I was hoping if you wonderful people of Broncoland could help me out. Is there anyone from your favorite college team being touted for 1st or 2nd team (honorable mention even) all conference? All-American perhaps?

I've not heard word one on any DB's, but everywhere I look there's someone who can play. Guys like Alan Zemaitis from PSU jump out, or even underclassman like Leon hall from Michigan. Yet, no one has anything. I like to beat these guys to the punch and see where they stand with a given player after I've gone over them (the spirit of competition I guess), but not one site has done anything with DB's. I know I'm not too early (been at this long enough to know that by this time of year, there's substantially more than this-normally).

With the impending loss of Lenny, the advanced age of John Lynch and Nick Fergason's strong abilty to be adequate (Bronco starter or not, let's call a spade a spade), it seems to me there's room to add ability in the defensive backfield.
I like to concentrate my efforts on guys who are getable (anyone can do the top 5 at a position-yes, that's a shot a Kiper), but those guys are usually taken by pick 15. If a team can get contributions from guys taken on the second day, they're already a leg up on the competition-and that's what I shoot for. I know it doesn't mean anything, but I have fun with it anyway.

DURANGO BRONCO
11-03-2005, 05:08 PM
The answers to improving our DB's might already be on the roster. Sundquist is very excited about Hamza Abdullah 6'2" 213, who we just claimed off of Tampa Bays PS. He is raw but has potential. Brandon Browner 6'4'' 221 is listed as a CB but I think he is being projected as a safety. He was making some big plays in training camp and pre season before breaking his arm. He needs to work on the mental aspects of the game, but is very talented.

As far as the draft goes, I saw tape on Greg Blue 6'4" 215 of Georgia and was very impressed. He is a run stopper and a ball hawk. He is likely a second round pick who I like more than Huff of Texas who is being touted as the best safety in the draft.

The fact that we have to play big TE's like Gates twice a year means that we need someone with size and strength to cover them.

PsychoChicken
11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
There's one player who I've just been dying to talk about.

I'm not a Syracuse fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I seem to fall in love with a Syracuse player every year. This year, it's free safety Anthony Smith. He is emerging as a star on the Orange defense, and is really showing his stuff in coverage. He has 5 interceptions and 12 passes defended, not to mention he's leading the team in tackles. His stock is soaring, and I hope the Broncos are jumping on the bandwagon.

Oh, did I mention he's one of the best punt blockers in college football? You can never have enough special teams threats.

db32
11-03-2005, 08:28 PM
The answers to improving our DB's might already be on the roster. Sundquist is very excited about Hamza Abdullah 6'2" 213, who we just claimed off of Tampa Bays PS. He is raw but has potential. Brandon Browner 6'4'' 221 is listed as a CB but I think he is being projected as a safety. He was making some big plays in training camp and pre season before breaking his arm. He needs to work on the mental aspects of the game, but is very talented.

As far as the draft goes, I saw tape on Greg Blue 6'4" 215 of Georgia and was very impressed. He is a run stopper and a ball hawk. He is likely a second round pick who I like more than Huff of Texas who is being touted as the best safety in the draft.

The fact that we have to play big TE's like Gates twice a year means that we need someone with size and strength to cover them.

That guys incredibly talented. He's gone way too soon to be had. He'll be gone by pick 15. Come April, he'll be held in the same regard as someone like Shawn Williams was. He's wildly gifted. Superb athlete and ideal temperment for the game. He'll be a star.
Huff might be closer to picks 110-140. He's not the athlete that someone like Greg Blue or Pat Watkins is. He lacks short area ability (adequate first step, errect posture leads to poor C.O.D., too much wasted motion in his movements because of poor posture).
But I forgot about the Oregon State kid-Browner. He might be it. Has strong ball skills and plays with enough of a physical nature. Wasn't athlete enough for corner, but would be an assett deeper in the secondary.

db32
11-03-2005, 08:37 PM
There's one player who I've just been dying to talk about.

I'm not a Syracuse fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I seem to fall in love with a Syracuse player every year. This year, it's free safety Anthony Smith. He is emerging as a star on the Orange defense, and is really showing his stuff in coverage. He has 5 interceptions and 12 passes defended, not to mention he's leading the team in tackles. His stock is soaring, and I hope the Broncos are jumping on the bandwagon.

Oh, did I mention he's one of the best punt blockers in college football? You can never have enough special teams threats.

Good heads up!!!!

Got him against Virgina (cassettes 5 and 33). He was born for yale coverage. Lean, linear athletic build with a heck of a great posture, outstanding C.O.D. and first step. Can click and close and has the ball skills to make a play. That's the type of athlete I'm talkin' about. This guys a playmaker. Anyone else who reads this thread;
Keep in mind Anthony Smith.
He'll hold up well when michaeled up too. May not be physical enough to be around the L.O.S. too much, but he's too good playin' the ball for that anyway. Leave the tacklin' for the LB's, this guy wants the football. Hey psycho chicken-anyone else?

Rockwilder24
11-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Can you keep updating the guy cuz I dont get any Syracuse games, and the dude sounds exciting.

PsychoChicken
11-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Can you keep updating the guy cuz I dont get any Syracuse games, and the dude sounds exciting.
He was off this past week, but hopefully, I'll be able to catch the South Florida game this weekend.

Smith continues to impress me, though. He and Ryan LaCasse seem to be the lone bright spots on a struggling defense. Smith's movement is very fluid; I love watching him in coverage. What continues to impress me the most is his tackling. The knock on him previously has been wrapping up and taking weird angles on the ball carrier, but he seems to have improved on both. Still, Smith is strictly free safety material, and it would be borderline retarded to expect him to be a run stuffer or to cover Gates/Gonzalez on the strong side. I envision him being most similar to Dexter Jackson in the NFL.