PDA

View Full Version : Waaaaaay too early '06 Heisman predictions....

mrsolo
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Who do you think will be the preseason favorites next fall? My sentimental favorite will obviously be Adrian Peterson. How he and the o-line finish the season will determine how high he'll be on a lot of lists.

I'm not sure who all will return next year. I think the Texas RB, Charles will be on a few lists.

What do you all think?

OhNoKoolAid
11-08-2005, 01:19 PM
If Young does indeed return to school, the award is his to lose, assuming he doesn't win it this year. Voters like a change, they won't give it to someone twice.

Also, Brady Quinn will be high on lists because of the exposure of Notre Dame football. Although Notre Dame's success is more a product of the sum of its parts, journalists prefer the easy answer of "it's the quarterback that leads to success." Good player, good chances.

The numbers guy may be Brian Calhoun of Wisconsin, should both he and left tackle Thomas return to school. Calhoun's numbers have opened eyes this year, should he stay, he will merit the same consideration DeAngelo Williams receives this year.

If you made me pick five finalists, just for fun, my '06 Heisman finalists would be:

Adrian Peterson, RB, OU

Brady Quinn, QB, ND

Vince Young, QB, Tex

Brian Calhoun, RB, Wisc

Jamarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Russell is a distant fifth and would be the byproduct of LSU success in a rebuilding SEC, with Auburn and Tennessee still lacking solid QB play, and Alabama retooling the defense. Russell is touted solely on his athletic prowess, and similar build to Daunte Culpepper. Since this is for fun only, I'll go out on a limb and make him my darkhorse candidate.

Vince Young wins though, sorry Sooner fans...

Good, fun topic, mrsolo, it should start a good debate...now brace yourself for the Vick-lovers...

mrsolo
11-08-2005, 01:38 PM
If Young does indeed return to school, the award is his to lose, assuming he doesn't win it this year. Voters like a change, they won't give it to someone twice.

Also, Brady Quinn will be high on lists because of the exposure of Notre Dame football. Although Notre Dame's success is more a product of the sum of its parts, journalists prefer the easy answer of "it's the quarterback that leads to success." Good player, good chances.

The numbers guy may be Brian Calhoun of Wisconsin, should both he and left tackle Thomas return to school. Calhoun's numbers have opened eyes this year, should he stay, he will merit the same consideration DeAngelo Williams receives this year.

If you made me pick five finalists, just for fun, my '06 Heisman finalists would be:

Adrian Peterson, RB, OU

Brady Quinn, QB, ND

Vince Young, QB, Tex

Brian Calhoun, RB, Wisc

Jamarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Russell is a distant fifth and would be the byproduct of LSU success in a rebuilding SEC, with Auburn and Tennessee still lacking solid QB play, and Alabama retooling the defense. Russell is touted solely on his athletic prowess, and similar build to Daunte Culpepper. Since this is for fun only, I'll go out on a limb and make him my darkhorse candidate.

Vince Young wins though, sorry Sooner fans...

Good, fun topic, mrsolo, it should start a good debate...now brace yourself for the Vick-lovers...

You know, I didn't even consider Vince Young coming back. He'll be awfully hard to beat if he does, especially if he continues to show growth and improvement as a passer.

Do you think Quinn will come back? I don't know what the QB prospects look like this year beyond Leinart. I haven't followed college football accross the board like I have in recent years. We bought a house this year, so my TV time has been compromised by home improvement. LOL

alan
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
it will definatly be brady quinn without a doubt provided he doesnt come out htis year,but he probly wont. so yea deffinatly brady quinn

OhNoKoolAid
11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
You know, I didn't even consider Vince Young coming back. He'll be awfully hard to beat if he does, especially if he continues to show growth and improvement as a passer.

Do you think Quinn will come back? I don't know what the QB prospects look like this year beyond Leinart. I haven't followed college football accross the board like I have in recent years. We bought a house this year, so my TV time has been compromised by home improvement. LOL

There isn't much behind Leinart, but I think Quinn stands so much to gain if he returns. I see Quinn as a first rounder this year, but more in the teens and twenties than in the top ten, unless taken out of necessity. He should have a bright NFL career ahead of him, but he is still raw and just starting to grasp the finite details of Weis' system. If he stays in school, he could be the number one pick next season with more maturity and confidence.

Vince Young repeated an earlier statement today by adamantly stating he will return to school. Now again, no scouts have started the wooing process, and should Texas win it all, he may have a change of plans. If you take him for his word, he is returning.

And lastly, congrats on the house. I'm sure there will be plenty of time in the future to relax and enjoy better days for OU in your new home. You picked the right year to have limited means to follow your team!

Skywalker
11-08-2005, 06:01 PM

of course Quinn will come back....no one even considers coming out of Notre Dame.....and Quinn will need his Sr year to improve his skills....

watchthemiddle
11-08-2005, 06:02 PM
of course Quinn will come back....no one even considers coming out of Notre Dame.....and Quinn will need his Sr year to improve his skills....

yep, but look for the runner up to be Calhoun from Wisconsin

NJBRONCOSFAN
11-09-2005, 12:28 PM

From what I've heard, it's almost certain that Quinn will return...and he'll look real attractive to nfl teams after two years of being Charlie Weis' student.

GridironChamp
11-09-2005, 05:43 PM
I have two things on this and i will save the best for last, First of all Brady Quinn and Vince Young are both coming back next year (i hope they get hurt just for the fun of it, jk) and second of all, you guys have all the stats you want, but 2 things matter the most for the hiesman, first is the win column of your team but way more important than that is how important you are to your team and how you help them to win. And for me its very easy to see what team would suck without a certain player and that team is USC. Some are thinking im gonna say Reggie Bush but i wont. Because you already guessed who it is. ;) He may not have the stats, but watch his plays or his energy or is ability to change the pace of a game.

badintentions
11-10-2005, 04:45 AM
i highly pick adrian peterson for the trophy next year

Calif. Bronco
11-12-2005, 02:09 PM

The same can be said of Bush - if for some reason he were to come back he would be among the favorites, I just don't think he's coming back either. As for the thread, I think the title sums it up best - considering we don't know who is coming back, it is just waaaaaay too early! :coffee:

Emancipator
11-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Reggie Bush.

mrsolo
11-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Reggie Bush.

You really think Reggie Bush will be back next year?

OhNoKoolAid
11-12-2005, 10:25 PM
You really think Reggie Bush will be back next year?

Bush has already made the comment that he'd like to play for the Jets next year, his decision has already been made...

West
11-12-2005, 10:30 PM
When is the last time a Texas player came out early? Vince Young will win it back to back years. :jawdrop: Bold statement from West. :eek: Bush might be back next year. Who knows maybe he blows out his knee later this year and comes back next year. We don't know.

But if I had to make a list for next year it'd be:

Adrian Peterson RB OU
Reggie Bush RB USC
Vince Young QB Texas
Ken Darby RB BAMA
Brian Calhoun RB WISC

This is what I think it will look like barring Bush, Young and Calhoun don't come out.