PDA

View Full Version : Oregon going to get the shaft

ColRockies_5
11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Oregon is going to have one loss at the end of the season, and Notre Dame is going to have 2, yet Notre Dame will recieve the BCS bowl bid. Is this justice? I think not...Each team lost to USC, understandable, but ND lost to Mich. State. Because Notre Dame is in the spotlight and plays every week on National television, and because they have a bigger fan base, they will get the bid over a better team in Oregon.

rcsodak
11-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Oregon is going to have one loss at the end of the season, and Notre Dame is going to have 2, yet Notre Dame will recieve the BCS bowl bid. Is this justice? I think not...Each team lost to USC, understandable, but ND lost to Mich. State. Because Notre Dame is in the spotlight and plays every week on National television, and because they have a bigger fan base, they will get the bid over a better team in Oregon.
ND would spank Oregon......and I'm not a fan of either team.

NJBRONCOSFAN
11-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Yes, they both lost to USC..the only difference between the two is that Notre Dame actually played with USC.

Booher
11-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Oregan def deserves the bid more.

broncofan303
11-27-2005, 10:46 AM
First off, ND shouldn't of lost to Michigan State at home.... But other than that, I would say that ND does deserve to be in the BCS because if you looked at this team last year and this year, its a completely different team (with the same players)...and they actually had SC beat...

But isn't Oregon going to get an at-large bid anyway? I thought that if ND and Oregon won out, they would meet each other in the Fiesta Bowl...then we will really see who is the better team...

NJBRONCOSFAN
11-27-2005, 12:45 PM
First off, ND shouldn't of lost to Michigan State at home.... But other than that, I would say that ND does deserve to be in the BCS because if you looked at this team last year and this year, its a completely different team (with the same players)...and they actually had SC beat...

But isn't Oregon going to get an at-large bid anyway? I thought that if ND and Oregon won out, they would meet each other in the Fiesta Bowl...then we will really see who is the better team...
Well, it's possible that both will be picked, but there are other teams in the equation I believe, most namely Ohio State.

PsychoChicken
11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Notre Dame deserves it for one reason:

They have more fans. More fans = higher TV ratings.

y2cragie
11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Oregon have been shafted before from what I have been told, its someone else's turn i say.

xX-Bronco-Xx
11-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Notre Dame vs Ohio State :rockon:

Nick7
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Oregon have been shafted before from what I have been told, its someone else's turn i say.

When was this? The year where Oregon pulled of many 1-3 point wins and lost to (UNRANKED) Stanford, when Nebraska had dominated many of their opponents and lost to Colorado? Is this that time they got the the shaft?

chickennob2
11-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Notre Dame deserves it for one reason:

They have more fans. More fans = higher TV ratings.

Lets add on th tohat

More fans = Higher Ratings = MORE MONEY

thats what its about.

OhNoKoolAid
11-28-2005, 07:19 PM
The BCS owes Oregon for leaving them out of the title game in favor of Crouch's pathetic Huskers.

As for this year, Notre Dame looks like a better team, but it isn't about looks. It shouldn't be about money, but it is. In all seriousness, Notre Dame's wins are not that impressive. Purdue isn't bowling, Tennessee was a joke, Stanford was a Pac Ten doormat, as was Washington, and Michigan is in a rebuilding year, and they played that game without a healthy Mike Hart. The allure of Notre Dame is what has them ranked so high, a look back at their wins may cause some to reconsider.

WABronco
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
The BCS owes Oregon for leaving them out of the title game in favor of Crouch's pathetic Huskers.

As for this year, Notre Dame looks like a better team, but it isn't about looks. It shouldn't be about money, but it is. In all seriousness, Notre Dame's wins are not that impressive. Purdue isn't bowling, Tennessee was a joke, Stanford was a Pac Ten doormat, as was Washington, and Michigan is in a rebuilding year, and they played that game without a healthy Mike Hart. The allure of Notre Dame is what has them ranked so high, a look back at their wins may cause some to reconsider.

Very true...

Oregon's not as bad as people make them out to be. Ngata in the middle, Dixon at QB, Demetrius Williams leads a superb WR core, and Terrence Whitehead is a good workhorse in the backfield. They're legit, for the most part.

ND isn't as impressive in my opinion. I saw their game against UW, and for the majority of the first half Washington was in control. They were literally a dropped TD pass and a fumble at the goalline away from having a 14 point lead at the half.
I agree that ND's schedule is weak too...Don't forget BYU either, that game was relatively close.

mrsolo
11-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Very true...

Oregon's not as bad as people make them out to be. Ngata in the middle, Dixon at QB, Demetrius Williams leads a superb WR core, and Terrence Whitehead is a good workhorse in the backfield. They're legit, for the most part.

ND isn't as impressive in my opinion. I saw their game against UW, and for the majority of the first half Washington was in control. They were literally a dropped TD pass and a fumble at the goalline away from having a 14 point lead at the half.
I agree that ND's schedule is weak too...Don't forget BYU either, that game was relatively close.

ND's attraction is that they've put up a lot of points, which helps draw viewers, and they had the close game with USC. At the time, it seemed like a great feat. But since, we've seen that other teams have been able to play with USC, and that they are a little more human than most thought.

ND had rode on their tradition for years. There have been countless times that they were in the top 25, and even the top 10 when they had absolutely NO business there. It's just like OU this year. Yeah, I'm a huge Sooner fan, but I'll be the first to tell ya that they didn't belong in the top 5 to begin the year with so many new starters. It's more of a popularity contest than anything. :confused:

Nick7
11-29-2005, 11:44 AM

You wanna know something funny? Oregon was the reason that margin of victory was taken out. And those pathetic Huskers had an average Margin of Victory of 21.7 points. Those powerhouse ducks had an average MOV of 12.2 points. Oregon had 3 ranked opponents, as did the Huskers, of 22, 17, and 14. The Huskers were 17, 14, and 2. Now, who was the pathetic team you were talking about?

OhNoKoolAid
11-29-2005, 02:23 PM
You wanna know something funny? Oregon was the reason that margin of victory was taken out. And those pathetic Huskers had an average Margin of Victory of 21.7 points. Those powerhouse ducks had an average MOV of 12.2 points. Oregon had 3 ranked opponents, as did the Huskers, of 22, 17, and 14. The Huskers were 17, 14, and 2. Now, who was the pathetic team you were talking about?

Ask any college analyst who should be in the National Championship and nobody would have told you Nebraska. You simply cannot get trounced as bad as they did against Colorado and not win your conference and expect to get in. In games of real consequence, the "North Championship" and National Championship" the Huskers were embarrassed on national television, and widely criticized for fraud. A few days before the Rose Bowl, the Ducks ran roughshod all over the Big XII Champions of Colorado, proving their mettle as the second best team in the country. All MOV proves is that you can run up the score on some weak opponents early in the season, it means nothing to actual games of consequence, and that is why it was removed.

Nick7
11-29-2005, 04:02 PM
All MOV proves is that you can run up the score on some weak opponents early in the season, it means nothing to actual games of consequence, and that is why it was removed.

Yep, and that why I showed you we had a larger MOV against tougher opponents. That is why Oregon was whining about MOV, because they hadn't beaten the tougher teams by much.

bronc_fan23
11-29-2005, 07:08 PM
pac-10 always gets the shaft unless ur someone like USC

Nick7
11-29-2005, 08:20 PM

And they were the only team that has had a defense for the last couple of years, maybe not this year though.

Bronco_f1
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM

Oregon has no chance against ND

Nick7
11-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Oregon has no chance against ND

Exactly, maybe if ND played such cupcake teams, they would be in the Championship. You have to look at common opponents with them (USC). Oregon was dominated, and ND was winning until the final seconds.

NJBRONCOSFAN
11-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Very true...

You didn't actually watch the game, did you?
Notre Dame didn't even attempt a punt until there were 11 seconds left in the game. ND held possession for almost 40 minutes.
Washington was down 30-3 with 6 minutes left in the game.
Sure, Washington had 3 costly turnovers, but maybe the ND defense deserves some credit for that?

bronc_fan23
11-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Notre Dame didn't even attempt a punt until there were 11 seconds left in the game. ND held possession for almost 40 minutes.
Sure, Washington had 3 costly turnovers, but maybe the ND defense deserves some credit for that?

its washington we are talking about here.....1 win washington....

silkamilkamonic
12-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Yep.

F the BSC. All they care about is the money, and then they sit and wonder why the 'postseason' is a complete joke to what is probably the best associated sport out there.

Oregon earned that bid over ND. And I'm sick and tired of this "ND played USC close" bs. They lost at home. Fresno State played USC tough @USC, and then went and lost handidly to Nevada. Does that mean Nevada could beat USC?

Notre Dame doesn't have 1 quality win this year and their SOS is 90 something. Oregon finished with only 1 loss (to USC) and at least beat a top 25 team in Fresno State.

See Yuz.

broncofan303
12-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Yep.

F the BSC. All they care about is the money, and then they sit and wonder why the 'postseason' is a complete joke to what is probably the best associated sport out there.

Oregon earned that bid over ND. And I'm sick and tired of this "ND played USC close" bs. They lost at home. Fresno State played USC tough @USC, and then went and lost handidly to Nevada. Does that mean Nevada could beat USC?

Notre Dame doesn't have 1 quality win this year and their SOS is 90 something. Oregon finished with only 1 loss (to USC) and at least beat a top 25 team in Fresno State.

See Yuz.

Does that mean SC is overrated? All signs pointing to yes since they almost lose to Arizona State (I watched the game last night, actually closer than I thought...AState had the lead 28-24 with 4 minutes left) and they almost lost to a "mediocre" ND team?

Let me ask you non-Irish a question, if ND goes to the BCS and wins, will they have deserved to be there?

NJBRONCOSFAN
12-01-2005, 08:23 AM
its washington we are talking about here.....1 win washington....
You are right..but i'm not the one who brought washington into the discussion.
Someone says that ND struggled quite a bit against Washington, i'm going to argue that I believe that's not the case, if you don't mind.

NJBRONCOSFAN
12-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Yep.

See Yuz.
Well, I don't know if more sources are 100% accurate, but I also don't know where you are getting your information.
The site I visited ranks Notre Dame 50th in strength of schedule, so yea, 90 is slightly off...additionally, Oregon is 44th, so they are very close.

At least Oregon beat a top 25 team in Fresno State?...I got news for you...Notre Dame beat Michigan, who by the way, is ranked higher than Fresno State in both the AP and USA Today poll.

Well, at least you got one thing right..the BCS only cares about money, but that shouldn't be news to you. :duh:

silkamilkamonic
12-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Does that mean SC is overrated? All signs pointing to yes since they almost lose to Arizona State (I watched the game last night, actually closer than I thought...AState had the lead 28-24 with 4 minutes left) and they almost lost to a "mediocre" ND team?

It doesn't mean anything about USC. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. I guess Notre Dame went from very good in almost beating USC to very bad in barely surviving in a win against a sorry Stanford team, who lost to division 1-aa UCDavis.

As far as Notre Dame goes? 2 words.....

Michigan St.

Beat them and nobody's having this argument.

Let me ask you non-Irish a question, if ND goes to the BCS and wins, will they have deserved to be there?[/QUOTE]

It's an irrelevant question. Should we skip Texas, considering Big 12 teams have completely bombed in championship games in the last couple of years? No. Because it's irrelevant.

[QUOTE=NJBRONCOSFAN]Well, I don't know if more sources are 100% accurate, but I also don't know where you are getting your information.
The site I visited ranks Notre Dame 50th in strength of schedule, so yea, 90 is slightly off...additionally, Oregon is 44th, so they are very close.

At least Oregon beat a top 25 team in Fresno State?...I got news for you...Notre Dame beat Michigan, who by the way, is ranked higher than Fresno State in both the AP and USA Today poll.

Well, at least you got one thing right..the BCS only cares about money, but that shouldn't be news to you.[QUOTE]

Geez. Your completely right and I'm completely wrong. That win now that Michigan is ranked, and even higher then Fresno State, completely negates the fact that Notre Dame lost to a team below .500. We'll call that loss "pending on a Michigan season finale ranking".

See Yuz.

NJBRONCOSFAN
12-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Geez. Your completely right and I'm completely wrong. That win now that Michigan is ranked, and even higher then Fresno State, completely negates the fact that Notre Dame lost to a team below .500. We'll call that loss "pending on a Michigan season finale ranking".

See Yuz.
Well, yea, you were completely wrong...two of the main facts you based your argument on were completely false bro.
You said ND didn't have one quality win...you were wrong.
You said that ND was 90th in strength of schedule..they are 50.

Calif. Bronco
12-01-2005, 05:45 PM

and with USC it was only recently that they started to get respect. Any west coast team in any sport has a built in disadvantage - it's called the time zone. The fact of the matter is that too many of their games are played when it's the middle of the night for 60% (population-wise) of the country. I don't blame the people who live on the east coast and midwest for discounted west coast teams, though. They just don't see them enough.

WABronco
12-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Yes, I actually watched the game...

I'm simply stating that they aren't as dominant as they should be. USC literally toyed with the Huskies, as did Oregon...

silkamilkamonic
12-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, yea, you were completely wrong...two of the main facts you based your argument on were completely false bro.
You said ND didn't have one quality win...you were wrong.
You said that ND was 90th in strength of schedule..they are 50.

Your right. I was completely wrong about those 2.

But I think it's irrelevant in the debate itself. ND doesn't have much of an argument at all about deserving that bid over Oregon, other then the BCS wants them in. I don't have the time to look up numbers, but I would be curious to know when the last time a BCS team that got an invite, not an automatic bid, lost to a sub .500 team.

Maybe it happened within the last couple of years, but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it never happened.

And it's too bad really. Because our 'postseason' in college football is based almost entirely on money, a program like Oregon that deserved that BCS game loses a significant amount of money, and possible exposure for future recruiting, along with the recognitin nationally that it could have gotten playing in that game.

See Yuz.

Hells Bells
12-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Yes, they both lost to USC..the only difference between the two is that Notre Dame actually played with USC.

Yeah, USC dragged Oregon out behind the woodshed, and USC only beat ND with a miracle/uncalled penalty. ND has a tougher schedule too.....even though they have 2 losses, it would be an injustice to ND if they didn't go.

Nick7
12-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah, USC dragged Oregon out behind the woodshed, and USC only beat ND with a miracle/uncalled penalty. ND has a tougher schedule too.....even though they have 2 losses, it would be an injustice to ND if they didn't go.

Wow, you know what? I just came to agreement w/ a Raider fan!!!
:beer:

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Oregon got the big :goofy: ss shaft and now its NOTRE DAME VS OHIO STATE IN THE FIESTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t w00t FIESTA!!!

bronc_fan23
12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
of course they did......cause they are in the pac-10

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
w00t w00t FIESTA!!!! w00t w00t :D
I would've actually liked to play Oregon instead of OSU I mean facing the best defense in college football *gulps* :rolleyes:

NJBRONCOSFAN
12-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Ohio State is pretty sick..I love that defense vs. the ND offense, think it should be a great match-up!
Here's to a good game (and an ND victory!!!) :beer:

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Ohio State is pretty sick..I love that defense vs. the ND offense, think it should be a great match-up!
Here's to a good game (and an ND victory!!!) :beer:
Amen to that :beer:

CR18
12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ok, look at who ND has beat, its something like 2 teams with winning records, maybe 3

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-10-2005, 01:46 PM
ok, look at who ND has beat, its something like 2 teams with winning records, maybe 3
Your point?

Nick7
12-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Your point?

I think he is trying to say that even though you almost beat USC, you haven't played anyone good.

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I think he is trying to say that even though you almost beat USC, you haven't played anyone good.
Ya but everyone knows that ND is a brand new football team then last year and that they are still one of the best even with the easy schedule we got :cheers:

Nick7
12-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Ya but everyone knows that ND is a brand new football team then last year and that they are still one of the best even with the easy schedule we got :cheers:

The funny thing is, their SOS is only 2 places ahead of yours at 47.
:beer:

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-03-2006, 08:21 AM
So ,did ND still not belong on the same field as Ohio State? or did they silence some of you doubters as to whether Oregon deserved the bid more, or does is it irrelevent since Oregon still only had one loss during the regular season while ND had two?

silkamilkamonic
01-03-2006, 08:46 AM
So ,did ND still not belong on the same field as Ohio State? or did they silence some of you doubters as to whether Oregon deserved the bid more, or does is it irrelevent since Oregon still only had one loss during the regular season while ND had two?

I wouldn't say ND didn't belong on the field. I thought they played well, they were just completely outmatched by Ohio State in all facets of the game, excluding special team field goals.

I still think Oregon deserved to be in that game more then ND despite what happenend in their bowl game, but looking back I'm glad it was ND. I don't think there really would have been any non-bcs teams( even FSU ) team that could have matched up tough against OSU and put on a better bowl game.

Going back knowing what I know now, I still would have put Oregon in that game because they deserved to be there, but without their starting QB Clemens, their offense would have been inept. I think their defense would have been alot stronger obviously, but you have to give alot of credit to Troy Smith.

I would put a case for Oklahoma as being able to match up the best of the non-bcs teams against OSU, but with 4 losses you can't exactly through them into the bcs game. They were a completely different team the secnd half of the season then they were the first half.

See Yuz.

rcsodak
01-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Who knows how the game would have gone, had Clements not been injured....

....but evidently Vegas didn't think it mattered.

This just proved that the Pac-10 was AGAIN overrated.

All offense, and no defense.