PDA

View Full Version : 1st rounders overated

Buffalo118
11-30-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm not a big fan of #1 picks, because college production doesn't always transfer to the NFL. For example, The Broncos have one of the best offensive lines in the leauge. I think George Foster is the only 1st round pick. My point is that you don't need a first round pick to be the best at a position.

I have seen so many 1st round Denver's bust: Tommy Maddox, Mike Croel, Marcus Nash, Delta O'neal, ect. This is just one NFL team. I would rather trade a mid 1st rounder and get two 2nd round high picks.

I want the productive players like: Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, Jake Plummer, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Terrell Davis, Darrent William, Dominque Foxworth, John Lynch, Jason Elam of the football world.

I'll give my first round pick for several later round picks, stockpiling wide receivers(like Denver did with cornerbacks) in order to find reliable receivers like Rod and Ed.

Denvers last Championship team had free agents on its Defensive line:Alfred Williams and Neil Smith. Let the other NFL teams riks their 1st rounders and pay them a high signing bonus along with a high salary for not proving themselves yet. I think the more draft picks Denver has the better chances they will find what they want.

Nick7
11-30-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm not a big fan of #1 picks, because college production doesn't always transfer to the NFL. For example, The Broncos have one of the best offensive lines in the leauge. I think George Foster is the only 1st round pick. My point is that you don't need a first round pick to be the best at a position.

I have seen so many 1st round Denver's bust: Tommy Maddox, Mike Croel, Marcus Nash, DeltHa O'neal, ect. This is just one NFL team. I would rather trade a mid 1st rounder and get two 2nd round high picks.

I want the productive players like: Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, Jake Plummer, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Terrell Davis, Darrent William, Dominque Foxworth, John Lynch, Jason Elam of the football world.

I'll give my first round pick for several later round picks, stockpiling wide receivers(like Denver did with cornerbacks) in order to find reliable receivers like Rod and Ed.

Denvers last Championship team had free agents on its Defensive line:Alfred Williams and Neil Smith. Let the other NFL teams riks their 1st rounders and pay them a high signing bonus along with a high salary for not proving themselves yet. I think the more draft picks Denver has the better chances they will find what they want.

I find it hard to consider Croel a bust when he was hurt so bad that he was forced to quit. Maddox, I would agree, but Delta O'Neal? For your info, he has more int's than our best CB. I'm not sayin' he's beter than Champ, but some might argue, with good reason. You didn't really make a point with Jason Elam. Only the Raiders are dumb enough to take a kicker in the first. ;)

Emancipator
11-30-2005, 03:00 PM
No way. They are 1st rounders because of the performance they've had in college and teams feel they can perform the same or better in the NFL.

ColRockies_5
11-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Sure you can find busts on every team if you look hard enough, but the reality of it is that these guys taken in the first round have much larger upsides (for the most part) than guys taken in the later rounds. They are drafted higher for a reason...and for every first round bust you'll find 3 superstars drafted in the first round...Look at Champ, he was the #7 overall pick....... :coffee:

PsychoChicken
11-30-2005, 08:41 PM

I have seen so many 1st round Denver's bust: Tommy Maddox, Mike Croel, Marcus Nash, Delta O'neal, ect. This is just one NFL team. I would rather trade a mid 1st rounder and get two 2nd round high picks.

It remains fact to this day that 1st rounders have the highest chance of success. That's why they are first rounders. Sure, you listed some great late rounders/undrafted players, but where do the vast majority of late rounders and undrafted players end up? Usually in other careers or in CFL/AFL within 3 years.

Free agency is a completely different story, because you already know a player's strengths and weaknesses, and how well he can play in the NFL. It's much less of a crapshoot, though there are still variables like systems/schemes and chemistry.