PDA

View Full Version : Peerless price cut

Broncosfreak_56
12-03-2005, 03:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2246401

If we get him farely cheep do you think he would be a good addition?

Q-niverse
12-03-2005, 03:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2246401

If we get him farely cheep do you think he would be a good addition?

Only if Shannahan turned him around like other underachievers we've brought in...but no I think we have enough talent at WR although we could drop Watts for him without losing anything.

jletourneau
12-03-2005, 03:33 PM
That would be a big if, but he couldn't do any worse than what Terrell or Watts has done thus far.

For me, what it would come down to is knowing him from inside league circles, how does he do picking up the offense. We could certainly use an extra playmaking threat, and Price has proven he can be that as a #2 receiver in the past.

But, we have such good team chemistry going right now, I'd be very careful and very sure before I made such an addition.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 03:37 PM
He was a good #2 WR in the league with a receiver like Moulds on the other side of the field. He just couldn't cut it as the proposed #1 man on the field.

Elway1983
12-03-2005, 03:38 PM
I think we'll live. :beer:

BroncoBailey024
12-03-2005, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't mind picking him up, he has some experience and anyone is better than .....Watts. :ugh:

Peerless
12-03-2005, 03:45 PM
The reason he didn't pan out as a #1 is because he had Vick throwing to him... and no I'm not bashing Vick, I'm just trying to say it's hard to look good when you run a lot.

Emancipator
12-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Price still a good WR

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 03:47 PM
The reason he didn't pan out as a #1 is because he had Vick throwing to him... and no I'm not bashing Vick, I'm just trying to say it's hard to look good when you run a lot.

Possibly. But I don't think that was the main thing. I think Peerless was just one of those guys that can't be a #1, but is a solid #2.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
He was a good #2 WR in the league with a receiver like Moulds on the other side of the field. He just couldn't cut it as the proposed #1 man on the field.

Moulds will be a FA after this season, Buffalo won't pay his bonus. His value will be relatively diminished after this season, that's the guy I would target. Price is just an Ashley Lelie type with vision and intelligence issues.

Peerless
12-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Price still a good WR
He wouldn't be my go to guy. I think he can change a game with catching a bomb, or something else.

jletourneau
12-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Moulds will be a FA after this season, Buffalo won't pay his bonus. His value will be relatively diminished after this season, that's the guy I would target. Price is just an Ashley Lelie type with vision and intelligence issues.

Perhaps, but I have heard rumblings that coaches in Buffalo and elsewhere have now, throughout this season, noticed that Moulds really has lost a step.

I've always been a big Moulds fan, but I just don't see him being the answer. I'd rather look elsewhere and see if the trade market opens up once again. Never know who might become available.

BroncoBailey024
12-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Were getting TO lol. :D

Peerless
12-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Were getting TO lol. :D
That's........ just........ stupid.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 04:02 PM

I agree completely with this! I would love to have a moulds on our team.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Perhaps, but I have heard rumblings that coaches in Buffalo and elsewhere have now, throughout this season, noticed that Moulds really has lost a step.

I've always been a big Moulds fan, but I just don't see him being the answer. I'd rather look elsewhere and see if the trade market opens up once again. Never know who might become available.

He probably has lost a step. SO did Rod. THat doesn't take away from their abilities. We would still have Ashley to open up the field, and could use Moulds and Rod to be our possesion guys. I think that would be an incredible combo.

jletourneau
12-03-2005, 04:14 PM
He probably has lost a step. SO did Rod. THat doesn't take away from their abilities. We would still have Ashley to open up the field, and could use Moulds and Rod to be our possesion guys. I think that would be an incredible combo.

It definitely would be a great combo, however, I just prefer to go a route other than another 1 or 2 year stop gap and feel we have to get a wideout in here who we can build into our #1 receiver.

Maybe that's taking a chance on Charles Rogers, David Givens, making a trade, or using the draft if there is a player we are confident in at the right value spot.

But as of now, despite the abilities of Moulds, I'd prefer someone like Givens or Rogers. just my opinion though and I'm sure Mould would contribute very well for a couple years.

MKCC14
12-03-2005, 04:44 PM
we dont really need him right now, but he would be an ok addition to our recievers. im pretty satisfied at our reciever position. Rod gets the short passes and middle long passes, and lelie catches all the deep balls. along with the other recievers following behind. peerless might add a little more talent to our recievers position i think.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-03-2005, 05:30 PM
It definitely would be a great combo, however, I just prefer to go a route other than another 1 or 2 year stop gap and feel we have to get a wideout in here who we can build into our #1 receiver.

Maybe that's taking a chance on Charles Rogers, David Givens, making a trade, or using the draft if there is a player we are confident in at the right value spot.

But as of now, despite the abilities of Moulds, I'd prefer someone like Givens or Rogers. just my opinion though and I'm sure Mould would contribute very well for a couple years.

Rogers is one drug test away from a year's suspension, that would have to be a minimum salary chance. And he's injury prone. They can't get him out of Detroit fast enough. At least we finally know why Millen wanted a 3rd WR last draft, even though Mike Williams has been a colossal bust. (As predicted...now, where's Razor whom stated Williams would win RoY?).

David Givens would be a great #3 WR. He's not as good as Moulds, whom is a Rod Smith clone, but he's shifty and elusive and a solid #3. He has the dropsies though, which Moulds certainly does not.

And don't get me started on drafting a WR on the first day of the draft and hoping for immediate production. That's akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Moulds has 4-5 years left, and to be honest, Rod Smith might too. What we need is another red zone threat. Moulds fits that, Givens not so much, Rogers would be ideal, but man, that's such a big risk.

I do think the answer will be what you posted in the draft forum. Shanahan taking a WR in the 26-32 draft range, likely Baskett or Stovall. I think Adams will stick again next year as a backup return guy, Devoe may or may not, but I think Watts is done.

jletourneau
12-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Rogers is one drug test away from a year's suspension, that would have to be a minimum salary chance. And he's injury prone. They can't get him out of Detroit fast enough. At least we finally know why Millen wanted a 3rd WR last draft, even though Mike Williams has been a colossal bust. (As predicted...now, where's Razor whom stated Williams would win RoY?).

David Givens would be a great #3 WR. He's not as good as Moulds, whom is a Rod Smith clone, but he's shifty and elusive and a solid #3. He has the dropsies though, which Moulds certainly does not.

And don't get me started on drafting a WR on the first day of the draft and hoping for immediate production. That's akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Moulds has 4-5 years left, and to be honest, Rod Smith might too. What we need is another red zone threat. Moulds fits that, Givens not so much, Rogers would be ideal, but man, that's such a big risk.

I do think the answer will be what you posted in the draft forum. Shanahan taking a WR in the 26-32 draft range, likely Baskett or Stovall. I think Adams will stick again next year as a backup return guy, Devoe may or may not, but I think Watts is done.

I pretty much agree with you on most of what you wrote here.

The only place I'd differ is I'm not so sure that Moulds has 4 or 5 good years left. But it's hard to know how he would respond to coming into a new situation, it might rejuvenate him a little bit more.

But you can't not like Mould's abilities.

Baskett won't surprise me at all, though I'm still very intrigued by Chad Jackson because of the playmaking potential I believe he brings if Shanny goes the WR route through the draft, as we both expect he will probably do.

Stovall will probably sink or swim, and I'm just not sure which yet. Production worries me a little as he has disappeared often enough. But sometimes he scares me thinking he's a little bit of Reggie Williams, eh.

I still want to wait and see who becomes available via trade in the offseason. There might be some interesting middle of the road surprises who become available, similar to L. Coles and S. Moss this past year.

Any thoughts as to who might become available as a surprise trade candidate? I guess we can speculate on the coaching changes, and therefore the changes in offensive scheme and personnel. Who's production has dropped suddenly, who might me unhappy and will start making waves?

I might look into that a little more.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't believe we will use one of our 1st round picks on a WR. There are other spots that are more valuable to us right now. Not to mention the fact there really aren't any "Fitzgeralds" in the draft this year.

I LOVE the idea of getting Moulds for the other side of the field opposite of Rod Smith. That makes me giggly. He has GREAT hands. He runs GREAT routes. He's a HUGE threat in the endzone.

I don't CARE that he only have 5-6 yrs left. THe average contract and length of a contract is only 3-4 years in the NFL anyway. You can draft a player.. maybe. But just how MANY WRs are drafted each and every year, and how many turn out to be studs? Peronally, I'm fine with finding a quality veteran and using him for 3-5 years, then find another one. In the meantime, you draft WRs in the mid to late rounds,and hope you find a gem.

Moulds would be a perfect fit, imo. He's solid, he's smart, and he's a threat. At one time, he was a top 4-5 receiver in the league.

Of course somone like Reggie Wayne is exciting. I just don't think we could ever be in the running for a Reggie Wayne.

jletourneau
12-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Of WR's who might be available via trades or FA, this is probably the best the list will get of possibilities. In order of my personal preference, but, that will be different for everyone.

Javon Walker- Very interesting situation, coming off serious injury while awaiting contract extension. Had small riff with team and Favre, will they move on from him, would he be available via trade? That would sure be a deal worth looking into IMO.

Reggie Wayne- Probably too pricey and probably won't leave the Colts, but nice to think about.

Nate Burleson- Was supposed to sign a contract extension a few months ago, but because of the turmoil in Minnesota, plans may have changed. Burleson has been through an injury plagued and sub-par year, but has definitely shown flashes and is certainly young.

Eric Moulds- Great tools in every which way, especially the red zone, as has been mentioned. My only concern is that I just don't think his window is quite that 5-6 years. I look for his quality window to be between 2 or 3. Next year will be Moulds' 11th year, how many more quality years left? Do we go with that much of a vet instead of developing youth? Probably would come down to the price tag cause the talent is certainly tempting.

Joey Galloway- Probably the same concern as Moulds, has been very explosive this year, but sometimes carries an attitude that Moulds does not. I don't think Galloway is a perfect fit in the Broncos locker room.

Charles Rogers- BIG risk, BIG reward!!! Would come cheap, and better with the risk involved.

David Givens- Yet to be seen whether he will step it up to the next level.

Isaac Bruce- Will probably be let go by the Rams after this year, don't know how much tread he has left on the tires. If we're going the veteran route, we'd be much better off, MUCH better off with Moulds because Bruce carries the same wear and tear risk, but Bruce brings the injury factor as well.

My first plan would be to check in with Green Bay, and find out if Javon Walker is still indeed in their plans or not. They may be ready to move on and flush out a good bit of the team. There's a good chance Mike Sherman will be fired, if so, Favre very well might retire. Ahman Green is a FA, and probably will not be brought back due to a financial stalemate almost certain to occur. So, with the ups and downs they've had with Javon, he may be on the trading block for the right price. Perhaps Tatum Bell and a middle round pick since Green will be moving on and Davenport will be a FA as well.

Just a scenario worth looking into.

OtmShank
12-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Why is everyone talking about Moulds, wasnt it PEERLESS PRICE that was cut, not Moulds???

AZforBroncos
12-03-2005, 06:44 PM
peerless price would make a great 3rd option, and a decent 2nd option, but if we pick him up expecting him to take rods place we'll be dissapointed.
moulds is awfully good, but im not sure he's what we would need. it wouldn't make too much sense for him to replace smith as he's getting pretty old himself, and i would prefer someone to stretch the field more as a 2nd option.
reggie wayne would be perfect i'd think, but he's going to be pretty expensive, and with our cap situation i dont think we can afford him.
charles rogers is a huge risk, as has been said. if we could get him for say a minimum contract, the risk may be worth it, but i really doubt he'll fit in with shanny's system.
as for the draft, derek hagan is pretty good, but i dont think we should waste the pick from washington on him, and i think he'll be gone by the time he gets to our second first round pick. mike hass may be a good option in the second or third round, depending on whats available, and marcedes (i think?) lewis would help our TE position, but again i would hate to see us waste our first pick on him, and i think he'd be gone by the time he gets to our second first round pick.

i like the idea of grabbing hass in the second round (if he's available), but otherwise i really dont think there's may good options left.

rcsodak
12-03-2005, 07:32 PM
.....gee.....another "XXX is available" thread.....

....who'da thunk..... :coffee:

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 07:37 PM
.....gee.....another "XXX is available" thread.....

....who'da thunk..... :coffee:

yeah.. and who woulda guessed that you would've added so much to the discussion again. :coffee:

Snk16
12-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Dont' waste money on him. He hasn't done much all year. We're fine at WR.

NITROBOARD
12-03-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't think we need other WR's at all. I love Devoe and Adams. Terrell hasn't had a chance to contribute yet and Lelie is getting better every year. I think Rod has a couple of years left still. he still really hasn't even lost a step. He still has long yards after the catch like he did ten years ago. He still has some time left.

bronxs
12-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Only if Shannahan turned him around like other underachievers we've brought in...but no I think we have enough talent at WR although we could drop Watts for him without losing anything.
Uhh I don't think so, We need to vastly improve our wide recievers. Lelie is underachiving, and rod smith is producing nicely, however, he is getting up there in age. Rod smith still gets the job done, but if the broncos need to improve anywere, it's the wide recieving core. Besides smith, none of them strike fear into defenses.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Dont' waste money on him. He hasn't done much all year. We're fine at WR.

How are we FINE at WR? Rod is steady, but what other steady target do we have on the entire roster? We don't have one. Thats not fine. THats struggling.

PatrickdaDookie
12-03-2005, 08:31 PM
We're way over the cap for next season. We're going to have to ride with our cheap WRs for awhile.

NITROBOARD
12-03-2005, 08:44 PM
We need to realize that part of the "lack" of production for Lelie is the fact that the ball has been overthrown quite a few times this year to him in particular. An even bigger part is the fact that the Broncos run probably 55-60% of the time. This doesn't allow us to have big games with all of our WR's. The recievers really don't have much of a chance to shine because we run so well and we have been playing with the lead most of the season. I wouldn't say that other teams don't fear our WR's like someone posted earlier. I gaurentee that they need to gameplan them too. We need WR's like these that get the job done and block for our talented running game.

PatrickdaDookie
12-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Plummer's on pace to throw for 800 less yards than last season. Someone's stats are bound to go down.

rcsodak
12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
yeah.. and who woulda guessed that you would've added so much to the discussion again. :coffee:
.....funny you should add that..... :P

The Dyna$ty
12-03-2005, 11:06 PM
That's........ just........ stupid.

but its true we will likely pick up TO

How are we FINE at WR? Rod is steady, but what other steady target do we have on the entire roster? We don't have one. Thats not fine. THats struggling.

Lelie :coffee:

Ravage!!!
12-03-2005, 11:59 PM
but its true we will likely pick up TO

Lelie :coffee:

Look, I like Lelie. I'm not a basher. I don't expect him to be another Moss or anything, and am happy he's our deep ball threat. But our passing game worries me, and Lelie can be the homerun threat, but as of RIGHT NOW, he's nothing more than that.

We need another posession receiver. SOmething we used to benefit from with Rod and Eddie. OR, we need a BIG time threat at the TE.

Mr. T
12-04-2005, 12:27 AM
I agree...Lelie has a role in the offense, and that is to be the home-run threat, really. Sure, I'd like to see a little more consistency out of him, but he's a solid #2.

What we really need is a game-breaking TE...like Gates, Gonzalez, or Shockey.

Orange Crush 16
12-04-2005, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't mind having Peerless Price on the team. What would it hurt? Just release Darius Watts, he was a total bust and make Price possibly the 2nd WR if Lelie continues doing nothing. It would defiently make things interesting in the playoffs. The smallest things make the biggest difference sometimes.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Of WR's who might be available via trades or FA, this is probably the best the list will get of possibilities. In order of my personal preference, but, that will be different for everyone.

Javon Walker- Very interesting situation, coming off serious injury while awaiting contract extension. Had small riff with team and Favre, will they move on from him, would he be available via trade? That would sure be a deal worth looking into IMO.

Reggie Wayne- Probably too pricey and probably won't leave the Colts, but nice to think about.

Nate Burleson- Was supposed to sign a contract extension a few months ago, but because of the turmoil in Minnesota, plans may have changed. Burleson has been through an injury plagued and sub-par year, but has definitely shown flashes and is certainly young.

Eric Moulds- Great tools in every which way, especially the red zone, as has been mentioned. My only concern is that I just don't think his window is quite that 5-6 years. I look for his quality window to be between 2 or 3. Next year will be Moulds' 11th year, how many more quality years left? Do we go with that much of a vet instead of developing youth? Probably would come down to the price tag cause the talent is certainly tempting.

Joey Galloway- Probably the same concern as Moulds, has been very explosive this year, but sometimes carries an attitude that Moulds does not. I don't think Galloway is a perfect fit in the Broncos locker room.

Charles Rogers- BIG risk, BIG reward!!! Would come cheap, and better with the risk involved.

David Givens- Yet to be seen whether he will step it up to the next level.

Isaac Bruce- Will probably be let go by the Rams after this year, don't know how much tread he has left on the tires. If we're going the veteran route, we'd be much better off, MUCH better off with Moulds because Bruce carries the same wear and tear risk, but Bruce brings the injury factor as well.

My first plan would be to check in with Green Bay, and find out if Javon Walker is still indeed in their plans or not. They may be ready to move on and flush out a good bit of the team. There's a good chance Mike Sherman will be fired, if so, Favre very well might retire. Ahman Green is a FA, and probably will not be brought back due to a financial stalemate almost certain to occur. So, with the ups and downs they've had with Javon, he may be on the trading block for the right price. Perhaps Tatum Bell and a middle round pick since Green will be moving on and Davenport will be a FA as well.

Just a scenario worth looking into.

I'd add Jimmy Smith to the list of potential cuts.

And here's the FA list.

WRs

UFAs

1) David Givens NE
2) Reggie Wayne Ind
3) Josh Reed Buf
4) Randy Hymes Bal - He's like Jurevicious, just under utilized.
5) Antonio Bryant Cle
6) Antwaan Randle El Pit
7) Eric Moulds Buf
8) Joe Jurevicius Sea - Here's a good possession/redzone guy.
9) Peter Warrick Sea
10) Jabar Gaffney Hou
11) Rod Gardner Car
12) Corey Bradford Hou
13) Kevin Johnson Det
14) Peerless Price Dal
15) Dez White Atl
16) Koren Robinson Min
17) Quincy Morgan Pit
18) Az-Zhair Hakim NO
19) Tim Carter NYG
20) David Boston Mia
21) Ike Hillard TB
22) Troy Brown NE
23) Tim Dwight NE
24) Jerome Pathon Atl
25) Charles Lee Ari
26) Marc Boerighter KC
27) Reggie Swinton Ari
28) Troy Walters Ind
29) Patrick Johnson Bal

RFAs

1) Brandon Lloyd SF - This guy is nothing short of amazing.
2) Patrick Crayton Dal
3) Nate Burleson Min
4) Eddie Drummond Det-KR
5) Kevin Walter Cin
6) Shaun McDonald Stl
7) Willie Ponder NYG
8) Kevin Curtis Stl
9) Kelley Washington Cin
10) David Tyree NYG
11) Derick Armstrong Hou
12) Kaseem Osgood SD
13) Arnaz Battle SF
14) Chris Horn KC
15) Bryan Gilmore Mia

elwaysbrother
12-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Reggie wayne is the truth. He has some of the best hands i have ever seen. Hands down the best wide out on that list in my opinion. And i am not sure how old he is but i think he would make a great replacement for R. Smith when he retires but we should try and get him after this season. That would greatly step up our receiving core and we wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on a reciever.

BroncoFanCam
12-04-2005, 09:08 AM

DON'T FORGET he also got stuck with Bledose twice (as a Bill and a Cowboy) :D

Broncosinindy
12-04-2005, 09:09 AM
denver is going to have a hard time resiging our musts . let alone go after other free agents ... we dont need price

BroncoRT
12-04-2005, 09:55 AM

I am all for siging Rogers. He still has great talent. With his size and leaping ability he will be a TD machine in Denver. He was just caught in the mess of Detroit and they were not able to utilize his talent. In his rookie season he caught 3 TD's in his first five games and he looking very good before he got hurt.

Rogers doesn't have many injury issues, he just has one and that's the collar bone. Those two injuries were freak incidents and hopefully doesn't happen again.

His drug issues are related to his Michigan situation. He was born and raised in Michigan, went to Michigan State and now plays for the Lions. A lot of pro players that play in or near their home towns, still hang around old friends from thier childhood that brings them down. He needs a change of scenery and Shanny has been known for giving players second chances. He is a risk, but high risk equals high reward. If he is released by the Lions I think Shanny will make a big push for him.

Moulds is a decent WR, nothing special. He is not a game changer and he is not a red zone threat. In his prime he only had one season with 10 TD's. He is 4-7 TD year WR at the end of his career. Moulds would be a safe bet, but I am a gambling man, I want the higher reward in Rogers. Rogers would add an explosive threat that this offense hasn't seen and would improve the offense greatly.