PDA

View Full Version : The 'Official' Fire Gary Barnett Thread

Buff_bronc_fan
12-04-2005, 01:44 PM
http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/buffzone_columnist/article/0,2585,BDC_23216_4288305,00.html

Woelk: CU has no choice but to change coaches
December 4, 2005

HOUSTON Case closed.

No matter what it costs, Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn has no choice but to make a change in head football coaches.

If he doesn't, the long-term expense of keeping Gary Barnett for even one more year will far exceed any money Bohn might save by not having to buy out the head coach's current deal. Clearly, Colorado's athletic department cannot afford another day such as Saturday.

Embarrassment is too kind of a description for what transpired in Reliant Stadium. Parents covered their children's eyes. Adults turned their heads.

Without doubt, it was a national humiliation but the situation is even deeper than that. To truly understand what has happened to Colorado's program, you must take into account the entire body of work over several seasons.

Saturday's loss simply magnified the problems for the nation.

In Colorado's last three Big 12 title game appearances, they have lost by an average of 38 points, and it's gotten worse every year: from 22 to 39 to Saturday's mind-boggling 67-point margin of defeat. The last time CU scored an offensive touchdown in one of those championship tilts came in the third quarter of the 2001 contest.

Since then, Colorado has endured 13 title-game quarters without the offense crossing the goal line.

As for this season? After a promising start and a brief appearance in the top 25, the Buffaloes collapsed. In Colorado's last three games, the Buffs were outscored 130-22. The last time CU scored a touchdown came in the second quarter of CU's 30-16 loss to Iowa State. Since then, it's been a pair of field goals while allowing 100 points.

And, if you include the championship games in CU's Big 12 record, the Buffs are 12-14 against conference foes in the last three seasons.

Those are not numbers that suggest progress.

Colorado has now lost its last nine games against top-15 opponents. The Buffs have absorbed 10 losses by 20 or more points in the last three seasons, including four this season. And, a program that once called the top 25 an annual home now lives in a complete different area code.

What's become clear is that there is no saving the program under the current regime. A change for everyone's sake must be made. For every step forward Colorado has taken since winning the 2001 Big 12 championship, the Buffs have stumbled two steps back.

That is too much for Barnett and his staff to overcome. Colorado must wipe the slate clean and begin again and Barnett also deserves the opportunity to begin again elsewhere.

By no means are all the problems associated with the program Barnett's fault. Many of the issues facing CU football are beyond his control.

But if anything has become clear in the last 10 days, it is this: As long as Barnett is the head coach, the firestorm of controversy that threatened to engulf the program in 2004 will never completely disappear.

That became apparent last weekend, when the actions of CU's fans in the Nebraska game rekindled the embers. Even though Barnett had nothing to do with the latest problem, the black eye received by the university also resulted in the opening of the wounds of the past. One could not be mentioned without the other.

It is an injury that will never completely go away not, at least, until all the connections with the past are gone.

But neither is Barnett faultless in the slow decline.

Saturday, we saw the fruits of UT coach Mack Brown's labors the recruiting class he compiled after losing the 2001 Big 12 title game, a group that included Heisman Trophy candidate Vince Young and one of his prime protectors, Colorado prep product Kasey Studdard.

Barnett, meanwhile, was unable to take full advantage of the recruiting opportunity presented him by that same 2001 game.

It proved to be a fatal mistake. In a period when Colorado could have become the dominant program in the Big 12 North, the Buffs instead faded with the crowd. While Nebraska and Kansas State stumbled badly, Colorado proved to be not far behind. The mirage of three more North titles kept reality from fully coming home to roost but every time the Buffs played a prominent national program, CU's deficiencies became apparent.

Last year, it was a 42-3 loss to Oklahoma in the league title game. This year, it ballooned to a 70-3 pounding by Texas.

No doubt, Colorado's abilities to maintain a competitive level against the nation's best teams were not helped by the recruiting scandal. Throw in the fact that CU has dropped dramatically behind in terms of facilities, plus the current recruiting restrictions, and it adds up to an incredibly difficult task for anyone.

But it's time for someone else to tackle the task.

As for Barnett, there's no question in my mind today that there's still a coaching position in his future. He has won too many games and a pair of league championships for anyone to deny that he can coach.

But when you assess the big picture at Colorado, when you objectively take everything into account, Barnett can no longer be part of that picture not if Colorado wants to begin anew.

And that is the only direction left for CU. If Bohn does not cut ties and take the program and the department in a different direction, it won't be long before it will be difficult to distinguish between Colorado's new A.D. and the department's difficult past.

That's a distinction that must be drawn now.

Colorado cannot afford to cling to the past. The Buffs cannot run on the fumes of a program that has been spinning its wheels, a program that has been unable to separate itself from the middle-of-pack.

The time for casting blame is past.

The time for change is now.

I think Woelk sums it up nicely... If it were up to me I'd make sure GB didn't coach this team again, meaning axe him before the bowl game. Absolutely unforgivable to get embarrassed that badly in a championship game... Unfortunately that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Woelk's best quote was "For every step forward Colorado has taken since winning the 2001 Big 12 championship, the Buffs have stumbled two steps back. "

IrishConrad
12-04-2005, 06:22 PM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=47805

bronxs
12-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Hire Steve Marriucci, or however his last name is spelled.

*Atwater*
12-05-2005, 01:55 AM
UNC(northern colorado) Just fired there head coach along with all the asstiants for having such a bad sesaon.

bronxs
12-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Really, I plan on going there next year, but not for football.

broncofan303
12-05-2005, 07:49 AM
UNC(northern colorado) Just fired there head coach along with all the asstiants for having such a bad sesaon.

Really? Wow, I thought they did a spectacular job in the last couple of years, it wasn't til the joined D-1aa and then they started losing...

But to fire Barnett, or get another coach, we need money...We don't have money to buy out Barnett's contract nor do we have the money to do anything else..

It should be interesting when the audit comes I believe the 9th of december, I think that's what they're waiting for before making a move...

Buff_bronc_fan
12-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Really? Wow, I thought they did a spectacular job in the last couple of years, it wasn't til the joined D-1aa and then they started losing...

But to fire Barnett, or get another coach, we need money...We don't have money to buy out Barnett's contract nor do we have the money to do anything else..

It should be interesting when the audit comes I believe the 9th of december, I think that's what they're waiting for before making a move...

303, I'm not very familiar with the financial situation of the athletic dept. other than they are struggling. Perhaps you could enlighten me more, is there some sort of financial penalty we face for terminating him? I don't see why buying him out would be a consideration. I'm sure the situation isn't ideal, but surely it beats the alternative which is giving Barnett another opportunity to embarass the program on the national stage.

Nick7
12-05-2005, 03:02 PM
How about Butch Davis? If you get really really lucky, you might land Billick, but probably not.

broncofan303
12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
303, I'm not very familiar with the financial situation of the athletic dept. other than they are struggling. Perhaps you could enlighten me more, is there some sort of financial penalty we face for terminating him? I don't see why buying him out would be a consideration. I'm sure the situation isn't ideal, but surely it beats the alternative which is giving Barnett another opportunity to embarass the program on the national stage.

Well, to buy GB out, we'll have to pay him 1.6 million for the last year of his contract (next year)... But if he finishes his contract, we have to pay him a 2 million bonus for finishing his 5-year contract... I don't have exact numbers of our financial troubles, but we can't afford either one right now...

I'd say we give him the 1.6 million we dont have (add to the debt) and invest in someone like Nick7 said, Butch Davis or I've heard rumors of Les Miles returning to Colorado...it's gonna be interesting to see what arrises within this month...

OhNoKoolAid
12-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Looking at the recruits as of now on scout.com (espn insider) things won't be improving any time soon. Credit Barnett with resiliency, but that alone can't make a gameplan, or win games for that matter. They have become an embarrassment on and off the field, and winning the North every season is no sign of success, especially when it was gift wrapped two straight seasons. It's time for Gary to go, and no, it won't hurt the program.

Two guys that may be interesting fits. One is Dan Hawkins of Boise State. Dan, to put it mildly, is quirky, ala Mike Leach, but like Leach, he has an innovative offense that puts points on the board in bunches without top teir talent. I always thought the Buffs should run a fast paced spread attack in that altitude, essentially running defenses to death in the mountains. If you can get past Hawkins' quirks, you'd have yourself a bright mind unfraid to take on the challenges of Colorado's circumstance, and is a proven winner with far less talent.

The other is local hero Steve Kragthorpe of Tulsa. Steve is a young coach who is a president's dream. Likeable personaility, great with the media, well-disciplined teams... I could go on for a while. Steve took an afterthought Tulsa team to a CUSA championship, and is considered by many as the best up-and-comer in the coaching ranks. Has NFL experience and brings a wide open attack that features the H-Back quite regularly, a position Colorado could easily fill. Only problem is the goofy defense Tulsa runs, the 3-3-5, but it works for them well enough and causes plenty of turnovers. He'd be my leading candidate and would give the Buffs a young, confident coach to ride out its troubles.

broncofan303
12-06-2005, 06:33 AM
The other is local hero Steve Kragthorpe of Tulsa. Steve is a young coach who is a president's dream. Likeable personaility, great with the media, well-disciplined teams... I could go on for a while. Steve took an afterthought Tulsa team to a CUSA championship, and is considered by many as the best up-and-comer in the coaching ranks. Has NFL experience and brings a wide open attack that features the H-Back quite regularly, a position Colorado could easily fill. Only problem is the goofy defense Tulsa runs, the 3-3-5, but it works for them well enough and causes plenty of turnovers. He'd be my leading candidate and would give the Buffs a young, confident coach to ride out its troubles.

I like this guy and he might be one that we can invest in...since he's young and somewhat proven, he might just be the fresh start that CU needs...again, it should be really interesting to see what transpires throughout this month...

And yeah, recruiting not looking good either... more 2 star athletes than 3 star...we're in the running for a couple of 4 star players, but after the last couple weeks, not sure if we're stilll in the running...

Nick7
12-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Another guy is Paul Patrino. He's the offensive coordinator of Louisville, and he is one coaching mutha. My dad remebers him from high school and, not that it matters, but he said he would lay beatdowns on people when necessary. :D

broncofan303
12-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Looks like fate becomes reality...

Bye Bye Barnett (http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=056fed62-0abe-421a-0173-027989d0be3a&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf)

Buff_bronc_fan
12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Looks like fate becomes reality...

Bye Bye Barnett (http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=056fed62-0abe-421a-0173-027989d0be3a&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf)

The story didn't address the bowl game, but I would assume they are keeping him on until then? I'm surprised 9News scooped this, I would assume the Camera or someone in Boulder would have gotten ahold of the story first. I'm thinking we'll know more tonight or tomorrow at the latest since today is the 1st day Bohn has been back in Boulder.

broncofan303
12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
The story didn't address the bowl game, but I would assume they are keeping him on until then? I'm surprised 9News scooped this, I would assume the Camera or someone in Boulder would have gotten ahold of the story first. I'm thinking we'll know more tonight or tomorrow at the latest since today is the 1st day Bohn has been back in Boulder.

I'd assume he'll coach that game regardless of having a future or not... but yeah, I'm surprised 9news was teh first to report it, the Daily Camera is usually the insiders.. I was listening to am950 the fan this morning and GB was on the morning show and said that he know nothing about it at all and that Bohn would meet with him later today....things already getting interesting, we'll see...

Buff_bronc_fan
12-07-2005, 02:07 PM
I'd assume he'll coach that game regardless of having a future or not... but yeah, I'm surprised 9news was teh first to report it, the Daily Camera is usually the insiders.. I was listening to am950 the fan this morning and GB was on the morning show and said that he know nothing about it at all and that Bohn would meet with him later today....things already getting interesting, we'll see...

I've gotta admit that now that it's become a reality, I feel a little bad for Gary Barnett. I don't know if you read the article in the Camera yesterday or the day before, they talked to Abraham Wright and he was talking about how GB was addressing the team on the verge of tears and then there were players BS'ing around in the back of the locker room. He was saying there's only so much a coach can do, then it's on the players...

I think GB really did care about the team and his players, but that also shows me that we need a head man who's going to have the respect of the entire team. 70-3 means that the problems go beyond the surface level, and so the fall guy has to be GB. It's unfortunate, because he seems like a genuinely good guy. He'll get another coaching job though, and he'll probably be a better coach there having gone through everything he has here.

broncofan303
12-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Some good rumors... Someone around the Arkansas area called in am950 and said that he had heard that the Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt was interested in the CU job, and the other good rumor included is that 5-star recruit Mitch Mustain will follow Nutt wherever he would go...

Just rumors, but if true, we've got a great coach that can recruit and what better way to start then to get a 5-star (17 overall) QB to lead the way...

Mitch Mustain (http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=30346)

watchthemiddle
12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
How about Dave Logan for the head coach at CU.

He's an alum, has strong ties to Colorado, is nationally known, and could pull all the recruits out of Colorado that we haven't gotten in years past.

rcsodak
12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
That's pretty bad, seeings how they're still new to Div1AA.

You'd think they'd have decided beforehand, whether their Div II coach was able to meet the new demands......

Southstander
12-08-2005, 01:45 AM
I've been Saying this for over 5 years!! I say bring in Mooch

BearsBronco Fan
12-08-2005, 02:15 AM
That's pretty bad, seeings how they're still new to Div1AA.

You'd think they'd have decided beforehand, whether their Div II coach was able to meet the new demands......

This was there last as Div 1AA next year they'll be joining the Big Sky confrence.

OhNoKoolAid
12-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Some good rumors... Someone around the Arkansas area called in am950 and said that he had heard that the Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt was interested in the CU job, and the other good rumor included is that 5-star recruit Mitch Mustain will follow Nutt wherever he would go...

Just rumors, but if true, we've got a great coach that can recruit and what better way to start then to get a 5-star (17 overall) QB to lead the way...

Mitch Mustain (http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=30346)

Are you sure on Mustain? Just the other day I read on Fox where he was pulling his commitment to Arkansas to explore other options. Maybe they're related, but that makes for one huge conspiracy theory.

Bronco_f1
12-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Hope good things happen to Barnett in the future, but most importantly, I hope GREAT things happen to CU in the future

OhNoKoolAid
12-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Looking at the recruits as of now on scout.com (espn insider) things won't be improving any time soon. Credit Barnett with resiliency, but that alone can't make a gameplan, or win games for that matter. They have become an embarrassment on and off the field, and winning the North every season is no sign of success, especially when it was gift wrapped two straight seasons. It's time for Gary to go, and no, it won't hurt the program.

Two guys that may be interesting fits. One is Dan Hawkins of Boise State. Dan, to put it mildly, is quirky, ala Mike Leach, but like Leach, he has an innovative offense that puts points on the board in bunches without top teir talent. I always thought the Buffs should run a fast paced spread attack in that altitude, essentially running defenses to death in the mountains. If you can get past Hawkins' quirks, you'd have yourself a bright mind unfraid to take on the challenges of Colorado's circumstance, and is a proven winner with far less talent.

BOOM BABY!!!!

I should go back into journalism...