PDA

View Full Version : If (or when) Barnett goes, who should replace him?

orange luvver
12-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Heres a couple thoughts and/or options:
How about Gary Kubiak, whom they canít talk to until the Broncos season is over, or Dave Logan? Logan played FB & BB at CU, was a wide receiver for the Browns and Broncos, is the sportscaster for the Broncos on KOA, and has coached three different Colorado high school FB teams to state championships. Or how about Steve Mariucci? Got any opinions on who YOU would like to see in there? I kind of like the Logan idea but that's probably a long shot.

BVP
12-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Why does everybody think that Dave Logan is going to Coach at CU. Everybody at my school thinks that he is a great coach. Just to let you guys know, Douglas County are the state champions. Also, Logan doesn't really coach that much, it is all of his assistant coaches, plus, he can get the best players from metro Denver because he has sent a lot of players to college. I don't think that he is suited to coach in college.

orange luvver
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
EVERYBODY was talking about Logan?...Just a thing I thought of while running by possibles...BTW...Barnetts out officially...Confrence later tonight...Maybe Bellichek as a Buff????

watchthemiddle
12-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Why does everybody think that Dave Logan is going to Coach at CU..... Also, Logan doesn't really coach that much, it is all of his assistant coaches.

Neither does any other coach. The credit and bashing should always go to the assistants.

I think Logan would be a great coach for CU. He will pull the instate recruits and pull the season ticket holders back and fill the seats.

orange luvver
12-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Excellent points about filling the stands and the season tickets...The alumni matter alot in that college atmosphere and Logan just might be a candidate- and a good fit...But, KOA will offer him more to be an announcer.

BVP
12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
UCLA's assistan coach is one of the people that might get the job. I also heard about Whyoming's head coach and Boise State's head coach.

Jared
12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Heres a couple thoughts and/or options:
How about Gary Kubiak, whom they canít talk to until the Broncos season is over, or Dave Logan? Logan played FB & BB at CU, was a wide receiver for the Browns and Broncos, is the sportscaster for the Broncos on KOA, and has coached three different Colorado high school FB teams to state championships. Or how about Steve Mariucci? Got any opinions on who YOU would like to see in there? I kind of like the Logan idea but that's probably a long shot.

Mariucci? No, he's a pro coach. I know he had that very brief stint at Cal, but I don't think any college job excites him.

He'll get a pro job somehwehre.

Jared
12-09-2005, 02:28 PM
EVERYBODY was talking about Logan?...Just a thing I thought of while running by possibles...BTW...Barnetts out officially...Confrence later tonight...Maybe Bellichek as a Buff????

I am assuming you mean some other Belicheck, not the one coaching the Pats?

Because I can't imagine any alternate universe where he he demotes himself from NFL head coach to college head coach.

thesaint
12-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I think Logan would be a great coach for CU. He will pull the instate recruits and pull the season ticket holders back and fill the seats.

Logan has always said he does not want the CU job. He has no interest in it.

Some prospects might be:
Dan Hawkins Boise St. Head coach
Steve Kragthorpe Tulsa Head coach
Tom O'Brien Boston College Head coach
David Gibbs Auburn Defensive coordinator
Jon Embree UCLA Tight ends coach
Charlie Strong Florida Defensive coordinator
Randy Shannon Miami Defensive coordinator

Buff_bronc_fan
12-09-2005, 04:28 PM

Some prospects might be:

Sportscenter just threw Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe (http://wakeforestsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grobe_jim00.html)
into the mix.. Apparently he was the linebackers coach at the AFA while Mike Bohn was the assistant AD there.

broncofan303
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM

Some prospects might be:

you're right, Logan and Kubiak both rejected it the first time around...

but can I add to the list?

Houston Nutt Arkansas head coach
Les Miles LSU head coach

I thought it was just speculation, still somewhat is, but both have shown interest in the CU job...

watchthemiddle
12-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Whoever it is, the School and administration better be 100% behind and let them build this team back to a top 20 or 10 team in teh country.

Barnett was a decent coach and did a lot of positive things for the school and probram and got a bad rap along the way with a lot of speculation around his name.

To get rid of him now, and if they don't bring in someone big or that has a lot energy and patience then they are waisting their time.

Lastly, I said it before and I will say it again. Logan might have turned the job down once, but sources around town think he reallly wants it now and a lot of people around town believe he could be the guy to turn things around.

1. Colorado guy
2. Can pull a lot of in state recruits
3. Everyone knows him
4. Parents would like for their kids to play for them because they would feel like he is a family member because he is so well known around the state.

rcsodak
12-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Why does everybody think that Dave Logan is going to Coach at CU. Everybody at my school thinks that he is a great coach. Just to let you guys know, Douglas County are the state champions. Also, Logan doesn't really coach that much, it is all of his assistant coaches, plus, he can get the best players from metro Denver because he has sent a lot of players to college. I don't think that he is suited to coach in college.
You do realize, don't you, that that IS what assistant coaches are SUPPOSED to do....... :duh:

.....I don't know of ANY superhuman coaches that can 'coach' an entire team's worth of players.

And if there IS, I doubt he'd end up at CU.

rcsodak
12-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Neither does any other coach. The credit and bashing should always go to the assistants.

So you think "instate recruits" can hold their own against the likes of Tx, FL and CA?

For the sake of the big 12, yeah....go ahead......:laugh:

rcsodak
12-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Les Miles LSU head coach

I thought it was just speculation, still somewhat is, but both have shown interest in the CU job...
That's hillarious!

He's out of the big 12 for one season, and wants back in?
Here I always thought the conference was upper echelon, but I might be mistaken.

He was quoted in an interview last week, that the defenses in the SEC are WAY better than what he ever saw in the big 12.

Does that mean that he can't handle it?

And did he receive an escape clause from LSU?

How sad.........

....and what a pathetic loser. :duh:

BVP
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
So you think "instate recruits" can hold their own against the likes of Tx, FL and CA?

Our recruits are not really that bad. We don't have stand out players like CA, TX, and FL, but we still have some BA players. The best RB in the state, that played for the state champs Douglas County, had over 2300 yards, and 38 TDs.

watchthemiddle
12-10-2005, 12:08 AM

Probably not, but I heard a interview with McCartney today and he said he was hired June 10th of 1982 and didn't get to recruit until the following winter. He went after all of the top instate recruits that year that were being recruited by OK, and NE and he got them. That is where it all started, and needs to start.