PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hawkins: The 23rd CU Football Head Coach

Buff_bronc_fan
12-14-2005, 09:44 PM
I posted this earlier, but it's kind of buried in another thread. ESPN, The Daily Camera, The Rocky Mtn News and The Denver Post are all reporting that Dan Hawkins of Boise State is going to be CU's next head coach. He has an $850,000 buyout clause which will further bury the program in debt, but he is an up-and-comer so to speak and he's not a big name guy that would be out the door in 5 years for a bigger job. He was making about $500,000 a yr at Boise St., so he'll get a raise and it'll still be less than what Barnett would have cost the U. Sounds like a good move for everybody to me.

I'm interested to see his fast paced offense here at CU, and I'm wondering if Bernad Jackson will be taking snaps at QB next year running an option style O. "Hawk" has a winning record and no controversy, so the future is a little brighter now than it was a couple weeks ago.

Here's the Denver Post Story on their main page.

Barring any last minute glitches, Colorado has found its new football coach, Dan Hawkins of Boise State.

CU athletic director Mike Bohn said Wednesday evening that he's hoping to announce the hiring of Hawkins by week's end once final negotiations are worked out. While saying ''the process is not complete,'' Bohn sounded confident CU would finalize details Thursday and make an official announcement on Friday. Hawkins met with Boise State officials Wednesday after getting the offer from CU to replace Gary Barnett, who was fired last week.

CU officials are expected to meet Thursday to review the deal that needs to be signed off on by university president Hank Brown and the regents. Hawkins could not be reached for comment.

chickennob2
12-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Heres the ESPN story

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2259394&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

BulldogRed
12-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Good now we can beat them more often.

armedequation
12-15-2005, 04:59 AM
how do you think is this going to affect recruiting?

thesaint
12-15-2005, 06:10 AM
how do you think is this going to affect recruiting?

If Hawkins got kids to go to BOISE, IDAHO...I would think he could get kids to go to Boulder.

It will take some time to clean some things up but Hawkins can coach...

BVP
12-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Honestly, I am very worried as a CSU fan. I think that he will be able to recruit the best of the Colorado prospects, while he runs a great offense next year with a solid defense.

I was talking to my friend earlier this week, and he told me that a QB named James Cox will be taking over at QB next year, and that he is somewhat of a scrambling QB.

Buff_bronc_fan
12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Honestly, I am very worried as a CSU fan. I think that he will be able to recruit the best of the Colorado prospects, while he runs a great offense next year with a solid defense.

I was talking to my friend earlier this week, and he told me that a QB named James Cox will be taking over at QB next year, and that he is somewhat of a scrambling QB.

Cox has been the #2 man for the last 2 years. He's got a little more scrambling ability than Klatt, but I would not classify him as a scrambling QB. You'll probably get a look at him on Dec. 27th in the Champ Sports Bowl because Klatt's still getting over a concussion. Personally I'd like to see them give Bernard Jackson a look, who is a running/scrambling QB who was impressing everyone in spring ball. Remember that name, he could be valuable in a fast paced running offense.

As far as Hawk's recruiting, I've heard that he's very enthusiastic and very relatable.. Also Hawkins' son, Cody, was recently named the Idaho Statesman's 4A All-Idaho Player of the Year. A quarterback, Cody Hawkins led Bishop Kelly High to back-to-back 12-0 state championship seasons.

TDash85
12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm glad he is gone. He was a great coach though. But now that he is gone the Buffs can now do better in my opinion.

DBFan4Ever
12-15-2005, 02:17 PM
If Hawkins does go to CU. Count your blessing CU Fans. As Jeb Putzier says he is great coach. He has done so much for BSU and for Boise. A class act which CU needs badly now. Way to Jeb for showing your BSU pride. I love it when he put his BSU cap on during the interview.

DrunkPanda
12-15-2005, 03:12 PM

yeah, cox is assumed to get the starting role next year. but if he DOES start, i'm about ready to write that season off as a losing season. the guy is not good. i dunno nothing about hawkins, but the fact that he makes csu fans nervous makes me happy :D.
EDIT: what the heck? it says his lifetime record is 53-9? is that some sort of mistake? cuz of not, he has half of his lifetime losses in this season alone