PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Game Question #1

BVP
12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I am entering a bowl game poll, and I need help on deciding who to pick in two of the bowl games. This first one is:

Oregon (10-1)
vs
Oklahoma (7-4)

I am leaning towards going with Oregon, because they only lost to USC this year, but the experts are picking Oklahoma. I want to get your help on deciding who to pick.

mrsolo
12-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I am entering a bowl game poll, and I need help on deciding who to pick in two of the bowl games. This first one is:

Oregon (10-1)
vs
Oklahoma (7-4)

I am leaning towards going with Oregon, because they only lost to USC this year, but the experts are picking Oklahoma. I want to get your help on deciding who to pick.

I would take a look at Oregon's rush defense and OU's pass defense. OU's gonna try to run Adrian Peterson "all day", and Oregon is gonna try to pick apart OU's secondary. Oregon has been solid all year, and OU started horribly, but has improved each week.

It's a tough call. Oregon is pissed because they got left out of the BCS. Question for them is, will they come out flat and disappointed like Cal did against Texas Tech last year, or will they come out hungry and want to prove themselves?

Personally I think OU is the hungrier team. They had a horrible beginning to the season and it left a bad taste in their mouths. They want to be recognized as a national power again. I think athletically they easily match up with Oregon. If OU's O-line plays a decent game, look for them to run for about 200 yds. Bomar has mature and improved and is making very few mistakes.

Call it a homer pick, but I look for OU to take it. :beer:

BVP
12-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks. I know that both teams will come out hungry, and I think that it is going to be an awsome game. I am still in a strangle hold.

TDash85
12-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I do like Oklahoma, but I know Oregon is taking this Bowl.

mrsolo
12-15-2005, 01:48 PM
I do like Oklahoma, but I know Oregon is taking this Bowl.

I hope you're wrong. I'm pretty nervous about it. I know OU CAN win, just don't know if they will.

BVP
12-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I am going with Oregon, but I am not putting much on them, so if they loose I am not loosing many points.

DrunkPanda
12-15-2005, 03:21 PM
oklahoma's back on track. i think they win

ColRockies_5
12-15-2005, 04:00 PM
All you have to do is look at Cal last year in the same bowl...they got demolished after feeling left out for not making a BCS bowl. The same goes for Oregon this year.

Oklahoma has come on strong near the end of the year, and Oregon's starting QB got injured a few weeks ago.

I'm taking Oklahoma in my pool, but I'm not putting more than 10-15 points on it.

BVP
12-15-2005, 04:14 PM
All you have to do is look at Cal last year in the same bowl...they got demolished after feeling left out for not making a BCS bowl. The same goes for Oregon this year.

Oklahoma has come on strong near the end of the year, and Oregon's starting QB got injured a few weeks ago.

I'm taking Oklahoma in my pool, but I'm not putting more than 10-15 points on it.

I am taking Oregon, but only risking 2 points.

Calif. Bronco
12-20-2005, 01:37 AM
I think motivation is a huge factor in a lot of these so-called lesser bowls. Oklahoma was playing in the biggest game of them all last year and probably will be bored to be in something like this. Expect them to come out flat and Oregon to jump on them early. I like the Ducks pretty handily.

mrsolo
12-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I think motivation is a huge factor in a lot of these so-called lesser bowls. Oklahoma was playing in the biggest game of them all last year and probably will be bored to be in something like this. Expect them to come out flat and Oregon to jump on them early. I like the Ducks pretty handily.

There is no way they will be "bored". This is a team that began the year looking like they wouldn't even be bowl eligible. They have played more freshmen this year than most of the teams in the country. The young guys didn't play last year. They've heard all year how bad they are and are out to prove themselves. If anyone comes out flat it will probably be Oregon. They think they deserve to be in a BCS bowl(and I can't argue with them there) and they probably think they should be playing someone better than OU. I see a heavy dose of Adrian Peterson and a lot of pressure on their QB. OU wins a close one.

TXBRONC
12-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I think Oregon will win.

TXBRONC
12-20-2005, 06:15 PM
There is no way they will be "bored". This is a team that began the year looking like they wouldn't even be bowl eligible. They have played more freshmen this year than most of the teams in the country. The young guys didn't play last year. They've heard all year how bad they are and are out to prove themselves. If anyone comes out flat it will probably be Oregon. They think they deserve to be in a BCS bowl(and I can't argue with them there) and they probably think they should be playing someone better than OU. I see a heavy dose of Adrian Peterson and a lot of pressure on their QB. OU wins a close one.

Cali has good point OU has been playing BCS bowls so this could be a let down for them regardless of the struggles. Also as you mentioned OU started all those freshmen so they are still relatively inexperienced compared to Oregon.

I don't think Oregon will come out flat. As you mentioned they were snubbed by the BCS so they have alot to prove.

That being said it should be a good game, the Holiday Bowl has long history of close and exciting games.

mrsolo
12-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Cali has good point OU has been playing BCS bowls so this could be a let down for them regardless of the struggles. Also as you mentioned OU started all those freshmen so they are still relatively inexperienced compared to Oregon.

I don't think Oregon will come out flat. As you mentioned they were snubbed by the BCS so they have alot to prove.

That being said it should be a good game, the Holiday Bowl has long history of close and exciting games.

I was just referring to Cal last year. They got snubbed, came out and got their butts handed to them by a decent Texas Tech team. Whatever happens I hope it's a good game. I'd like to see the best from both teams.

rcsodak
12-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I look for OU to 'bring it'!
OU played THE toughest schedule in Div I football, this year. The 4 teams they lost to were a combined 35-4 or some absurd number.
The TT loss was anything BUT! They held down the #1 passing team in the nation and lost with the help of idiotic refs.
It could very well be close, but OU should win......

34-26

Calif. Bronco
12-21-2005, 06:56 AM

One of the things players in BCS bowls always talk about is how "special" it is - the treatment, the gifts, the atmosphere, etc. Therefore, isn't it reasonable to assume that a team that has routinely been in BCS bowls will be a little down or flat playing in a bowl that isn't even on New Year's Day?

rcsodak
12-21-2005, 10:01 PM
One of the things players in BCS bowls always talk about is how "special" it is - the treatment, the gifts, the atmosphere, etc. Therefore, isn't it reasonable to assume that a team that has routinely been in BCS bowls will be a little down or flat playing in a bowl that isn't even on New Year's Day?
I suppose.....if it was the same players, playing........ :D

Sevenis7
12-21-2005, 10:13 PM
UCLA kicked Oklahoma pretty good during the regular season. Oregon is a far better team than UCLA. Add to that, that the Ducks feel snubbed by BCS and now by the oddsmakers. They'll want to prove to people that they deserved better and will win in a cake walk....

Calif. Bronco
12-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I suppose.....if it was the same players, playing

I don't follow the Sooners as closely as you do RC (no one does, I suspect :cheers: ) but did they turn over their entire 80+-man roster after last year's loss in the Orange Bowl? :confused: :D

CR18
12-22-2005, 01:29 PM
oregon will kill oklahoma

mrsolo
12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't follow the Sooners as closely as you do RC (no one does, I suspect :cheers: ) but did they turn over their entire 80+-man roster after last year's loss in the Orange Bowl? :confused: :D

They did lose 10 players to the NFL draft last and lost another dozen or so to injury. OU has played more true freshmen than about 98% of the NCAA Div 1 teams. So, it is a VERY different team.

mrsolo
12-24-2005, 03:47 PM
UCLA kicked Oklahoma pretty good during the regular season. Oregon is a far better team than UCLA. Add to that, that the Ducks feel snubbed by BCS and now by the oddsmakers. They'll want to prove to people that they deserved better and will win in a cake walk....

The difference between then and now is that OU is playing about 20 times better football than they were against UCLA.

TXBRONC
12-25-2005, 08:14 PM
They did lose 10 players to the NFL draft last and lost another dozen or so to injury. OU has played more true freshmen than about 98% of the NCAA Div 1 teams. So, it is a VERY different team.

But point remains that OU still has plenty of players that were on last year's BCS team. Now if OU had a roster of about 80 players thats still 58 players after you take out the 10 lost to the draft and the 12 lost to injury.

mrsolo
12-27-2005, 09:45 PM
But point remains that OU still has plenty of players that were on last year's BCS team. Now if OU had a roster of about 80 players thats still 58 players after you take out the 10 lost to the draft and the 12 lost to injury.

This is getting a little nit-picky. They lost 10 to the draft, but a lot more than 10 to graduation. NOT MANY of OU's starters this year were involved in the last two BCS Championship games. I assure you, given the way this year began, they are not let down to be in this bowl game.

Mr. T
12-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, saying that THIS Oklahoma team will be bored in this bowl would make sense if they had as many seniors and such as they had last year.

Thing is, they are playing a ton of young guys who weren't playing in the Orange Bowl last year.

While I still don't think OU has quite enough to hang with Oregon...I think they've got a chance at the upset here.

Who cares...SOONERS IN 06!

plummer4presdnt
12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I would take a look at Oregon's rush defense and OU's pass defense. OU's gonna try to run Adrian Peterson "all day", and Oregon is gonna try to pick apart OU's secondary. Oregon has been solid all year, and OU started horribly, but has improved each week.

It's a tough call. Oregon is pissed because they got left out of the BCS. Question for them is, will they come out flat and disappointed like Cal did against Texas Tech last year, or will they come out hungry and want to prove themselves?

Personally I think OU is the hungrier team. They had a horrible beginning to the season and it left a bad taste in their mouths. They want to be recognized as a national power again. I think athletically they easily match up with Oregon. If OU's O-line plays a decent game, look for them to run for about 200 yds. Bomar has mature and improved and is making very few mistakes.

Call it a homer pick, but I look for OU to take it. :beer:

two stats

1) #6 in nation vs. unranked????
2) 10-1, loss to USC, vs 7-4, loss to TCU, TX, among others

is this a bowl game or a practice???

mrsolo
12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
two stats

1) #6 in nation vs. unranked????
2) 10-1, loss to USC, vs 7-4, loss to TCU, TX, among others

is this a bowl game or a practice???

Two observations:

1)#6 vs unranked is not a stat.....those are rankings
2)OU lost to TCU(BCS #14), Texas Tech(BCS #15)-although they were hosed that game on a horrible fourth down spot, UCLA(BCS #16), and Texas(BCS #2).

It's not like they lost to a couple of chumps. Those teams have lost 5 games combined, two of those being losses to USC and Texas. Not to mention the fact that OU is playing far, far better than they were at the beginning of the year. Oregon couldn't handle Adrian Peterson last year, and they might not have much more luck tomorrow night.

TXBRONC
12-28-2005, 07:02 PM
This is getting a little nit-picky. They lost 10 to the draft, but a lot more than 10 to graduation. NOT MANY of OU's starters this year were involved in the last two BCS Championship games. I assure you, given the way this year began, they are not let down to be in this bowl game.

I mean no offence but that's not an assurance you or anyone else can make. Also no its not nit-picky its just trying have friendly converstion.

Ok so many these starters were not involved with those teams. Are telling me that these kids didn't go to OU thinking they would be in a BCS game. Btw who did OU play down the stretch besides Nebraska?

DrunkPanda
12-28-2005, 08:26 PM
oklahoma's back on track. i think they win
wtf was i thinking? i don't even remember making this post.....
anyway, i think oregon will blow out oklahoma, no idea why i said i thought oklahoma would win when i posted that message.

rcsodak
12-28-2005, 10:50 PM
ANYBODY would have beat OU early in the season.
No Oline, no passing game. Just AD. Stop him and OU was done.

Fast forward to today. Bomar is more experienced and feels more at ease. The game has slowed down for him.
The Oline is better. AD is healthy again. The D isn't spending the entire game on the field anymore because of these things.

rcsodak
12-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I mean no offence but that's not an assurance you or anyone else can make. Also no its not nit-picky its just trying have friendly converstion.

Ok so many these starters were not involved with those teams. Are telling me that these kids didn't go to OU thinking they would be in a BCS game. Btw who did OU play down the stretch besides Nebraska?
Tx, OU played THE toughest schedule in all of DIV I football.
Did you not know this?
The win/loss record of those 4 teams? 38-5! Which includes 2 losses to TX/USC.

Yes, they lost 4 games. But NONE of them were stinkers.
EVERY OU fan KNEW they'd not be as good as they have been. They were breaking in a freshman QB, with an Oline missing arguably one of the best linemen in the nation last year (J Brown), and W Sims, and having to begin with a bunch of freshmen/non-starters.
Plus, they'd lost their best wr in the history of the team, in mark clayton. Along with numerous others on the D.

This year has been a testament to the character of everybody associated with OU.

To see them grow so much, from the first game to the last, has been absolutely amazing.

OU with a 'letdown'?

LMAO!

Not hardly! Every kid on that team will be ELATED to be playing ONE MORE GAME!

mrsolo
12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
From ESPN Insider......Scout's Edge

Oregon Offense vs. Oklahoma Defense
Oregon lost starting QB Kellen Clemens to a season-ending ankle injury earlier this year but it hasn't missed a beat. Dennis Dixon has done an excellent job of filling in with Brady Leaf seeing some time in relief. Dixon, who is just a sophomore, lacks ideal experience in big games but he has been accurate and he is capable of picking up critical yards with his feet when nothing is available downfield. Leaf hasn't performed as well so there's reason to believe he won't see much time. Both quarterbacks will look to get the ball into the hands of WR Demetrius Williams, who is averaging close to 19 yards per reception.

Pacific Life Holiday Bowl

vs.
Who: Oklahoma vs. Oregon
When: Dec. 29, 8 ET (ESPN)
Where:San Diego

The Ducks will try to take some pressure off their young quarterbacks by establishing an effective running game. However, that's far easier said than done working against an Oklahoma run defense that is giving up average of just 2.8 yards per carry. While RB Terrence Whitehead runs with adequate power and shows good burst though the hole, he has been inconsistent. If Oregon is to keep the Sooners off balance, it's critical that the senior and his offensive line have strong games.

Oklahoma Offense vs. Oregon Defense
Redshirt freshman QB Rhett Bomar has the natural ability to develop into an excellent starter and he showed progress late in the season, but he still makes poor decisions at times. That doesn't bode well for Oklahoma because TCU is the only team to record more interceptions than the Ducks who finished the season with 22. As a result, look for the Sooners to show a strong commitment to the run in an effort to keep Oregon's pass rush on its heels and avoid situations with pass-heavy tendencies.

The good news for Oklahoma fans is RB Adrian Peterson had his best game of the year in the season finale, and he has been impressive in the Sooners' past four games. Look for the Sooners to focus on attacking the perimeter of the Ducks' run defense for three reasons.
No. 1: DT Haloti Ngata (the Pac-10 Co-Defensive Player of the Year). He is a massive interior run stuffer that can regularly hold his ground working against double teams so Oklahoma will look to avoid him by getting outside. No. 2: All Big-12 LT Davin Joseph. Joseph is a powerful drive blocker with enough lateral mobility to seal the edge. No. 3: Peterson, who has the burst to turn the corner quickly and the strength to run over defensive backs once he gets into the open field.

Special Teams
Oregon PK Paul Martinez has connected on 19 of his 24 field goal attempts and he has shown that he can get the job done when the game is on the line. P Matt Dragich is averaging 36.9 yards per punt and he has placed six of his 24 punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line. KOR Jonathan Stewart has returned two kickoffs for touchdowns and PR Justin Phinisee has returned a punt for a touchdown. Both are capable of going the distance every time they touch the ball.

Oklahoma PK Garrett Harley has connected on 13 of his 21 field goal attempts and he has missed two of his last three attempts. P Cody Freeby is averaging 42.8 yards per punt and he has placed twelve of his 64 punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line

Three Key Individual Matchups
1. Oklahoma LOG Kelvin Chaisson vs. Oregon DT Haloti Ngata
2. Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson vs. Oregon MLB Blair Phillips
3. Oregon WR Demetrius Williams vs. Oklahoma DC D.J. Wolfe

Scouts' Edge
Inconsistent offensive line play and Bomar's lack of experience are reasons for Oklahoma fans to be concerned. However, a strong defensive effort and a big game from Peterson should give the Sooners the win. Oklahoma's aggressive front seven is capable of slowing Whitehead down and putting Dixon in plenty of situations with pass-heavy tendencies. Dixon has played well but he needs the ground game taking pressure off him to be truly effective. Peterson's ability to get outside against a Ducks' run defense that is giving up an average of four yards per carry will allow Oklahoma to sustain long scoring drives without asking Bomar to do too much. It's also worth mentioning that Oregon feels it should have received a BCS bid, and it could be overconfident heading into this game consequently.

Prediction: Oklahoma 28, Oregon 24

GO SOONERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsolo
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM

I'd say they weren't flat or disappointed to be there. With the exception of poor tackling at times, I'm really impressed with the way the defense played, especially in the third quarter.

Mr. T
12-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah, the Sooner defense really turned it on in the second half. Though they looked a little sloppy (ok, really sloppy) in the 4th, they were able to pull it out in the end.

CaribouRanch
12-30-2005, 02:45 AM
oregon will kill oklahoma

Ahem......Oklahoma Sooners defeated the Oregon Ducks 17-14 in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. :huh:

And the Broncos play the Chargers in the same field in 41 1/2 hours with at least 30-70% chance of rain come the 1:30pm kickoff on Saturday afternoon. ;)

mrsolo
12-30-2005, 07:21 AM

Too bad there weren't any cakes on the field, eh? Like I said, this isn't the same OU team that started off the season so terribly. Very much improved.

rcsodak
12-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Too bad there weren't any cakes on the field, eh? Like I said, this isn't the same OU team that started off the season so terribly. Very much improved.
It's always easier to kick a dog when its down.
I don't know of too many teams that would want to play OU right now.
They can run. Stop the run. Pass. Attack the qb. And actually slow down the pass.

DrunkPanda
12-30-2005, 11:51 PM
i think USC would like to play oklahoma now :D