PDA

View Full Version : Drafting for the 3-4

WABronco
12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Since there's been a lot of talk of changing to the 3-4 fulltime next year, how do you guys think our draft strategy would change? Who would we keep for next year? Would guys like Gerard Warren or Courtney Brown fit the 3-4?

In my opinion, we might have to use 2, 3, or 4 picks on 3-4 type players, realistically all in the first four rounds.

I3IzOnCoF4n24
12-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Since there's been a lot of talk of changing to the 3-4 fulltime next year, how do you guys think our draft strategy would change? Who would we keep for next year? Would guys like Gerard Warren or Courtney Brown fit the 3-4?

In my opinion, we might have to use 2, 3, or 4 picks on 3-4 type players, realistically all in the first four rounds.
Just curious, but why so many picks? Just someone like Dumervill would be good enough i think...

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Probably would only need to draft a rush OLB/DE tweener and a NT.

3-4 DEs are very cheap and can be found in FA. They really only need to play their gaps and provide an occasional rush. Just basically quick, strong 275-300 lb DTs. The 3-4 is all about the LBs, and we have that covered.

WABronco
12-19-2005, 05:36 PM

3-4 DEs are very cheap and can be found in FA. They really only need to play their gaps and provide an occasional rush. Just basically quick, strong 275-300 lb DTs. The 3-4 is all about the LBs, and we have that covered.

That's what I like to hear...

MindField
12-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Except, none of them, save Wilson, is a good fit for the 3-4, as Gold and Williams are 4-3 guys all the way...not to mention that Coyer is not a 3-4 Coordinator.

But maybe we can get Dom Capers if we want to go in that direction.

Perry1977
12-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Hell no, I want to fire Coyer and bring in Singletary! :beer:

WABronco
12-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Hell no, I want to fire Coyer and bring in Singletary! :beer:

That'd be sweet...

WABronco
12-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Except, none of them, save Wilson, is a good fit for the 3-4, as Gold and Williams are 4-3 guys all the way...not to mention that Coyer is not a 3-4 Coordinator.

But maybe we can get Dom Capers if we want to go in that direction.

***Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSpirit
I love the 3-4 defense. I always have.

Still, I hope we don't try to run it any time soon. We may be able to pick up players that can fill the NT and 3-4 DE spots, but a permanent 3-4 scheme would take away too much: namely Ian Gold and Al Wilson. Wilson is simply not big enough to dominate in a 3-4. He can't take on 350lb guards with consistent success being only 6' 240lbs. Ian Gold has it even worse. He weighs 225, and there is no place for him in a 3-4 at all. Even a weakside rush LB needs more weight than Gold has.

Also, every dominating 3-4 defense has had excellent play at the SS position. Take a look at every good and bad 3-4 defense over the years and tell me otherwise. Neither Ferguson or Lynch is a dominating performer... good, but not dominating.

Cornerbacks, as well, are usually larger and more physical in a 3-4 scheme. Our corners are excellent in coverage, but (except for Champ) are more of the "cover corner" variety.

In all respects our defensive scheme and personel are based on totally different things than a standard 3-4 defense. We would need to spend far too much in the draft to change schemes in one year, and our offense would suffer from such a strategy. Our offense, as it is, is comprised entirely of blue collar, average to above-average players. Since Sharpe and Portis left there has been no one to take our offense to a new level. We need at least one player with that kind of promise in the draft.***

"Completely disagree, here's why...

1) Donnie Edwards is one of the best 3-4 LBs in the NFL. He's 225 lbs.

2) Every LB (8 or 9) on the Pittsburgh Steelers are around 6 foot, 240 lbs.

3) Andra Davis is 6'1, 250 lbs and the mirror image of Al Wilson.

4) Zach Thomas is 5'11, and 230 lbs, look at his season this year in the 3-4.

5) Every LB on the Dolphins is around 240 lbs.

6) Every LB on the Texans is around 240 lbs.

7) Teddy Bruschi, Chad Brown? Yep, 6'1-2", 245 lbs.

It's obvious that 3-4 LBs are generally around 240 lbs, many in the 230s. So, I completely disagree with you there.

I do however agree with you concerning teh safety position. Since a 3-4 is typically stronger against the run then a 4-3, the strong safety position would be deemphasized. However, San Diego is a dominating 3-4 defense and they have no safeties whatsoever. What they do have is a great NT, great ILB, and great OLB in Shawne Merriman who completely dominated the Colts this past week."

Courtesy of MUG, from a different thread, but it's essentially the same answer...

TheChampion
12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
my draft if we went to a 3-4 would look something like

1A-Elvis Dumervil OLB/DE
1B-Gabe Watson or best NT available
2-Daryn Colledge
3-Orien Harris (3-4 DE)
3-value pick, best available player