PDA

View Full Version : If we were to trade for a top 5 or 10 draft pick...

BroncoRT
12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
...what would we have to give up. I am thinking both our firsts and a second next year. Does that make sense? Is it too little or too much?

jletourneau
12-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Based on the pts. system where each pick is worth a certain amound that most GM's use, our two first rounders this year alone would net us approximately pick #7 at the highest. With a 2nd rounder next year included, we could probably get pick 5.

Here's a link to Gil Brandt's article that includes the points chart for trades that most GM's use.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8358748

WABronco
12-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Based on the pts. system where each pick is worth a certain amound that most GM's use, our two first rounders this year alone would net us approximately pick #7 at the highest. With a 2nd rounder next year included, we could probably get pick 5.

Here's a link to Gil Brandt's article that includes the points chart for trades that most GM's use.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8358748

You gotta wonder what the Skins' GM was usin...

Perry1977
12-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Hell no I don't want to trade up that high. Having two firsts increases our chances of hitting, plus we dont have to give up all those picks and THEN pay an astronomical salary to some top-5 guy who has a 50% chance of being a bust anyways. I'll take two mid to late 1st rounders over 1 top-5 any day.

Besides, there's ALWAYS a player or two who fall unexpectedly due to team needs, you never know who we could get. Last year, Aaron Rodgers was in a competition with Alex Smith for the top overall pick....but because of team needs he fell all the way to the 24th pick into the laps of the Green Bay Packers.

I would be totally bummed if we traded either of our picks.

jletourneau
12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Hell no I don't want to trade up that high. Having two firsts increases our chances of hitting, plus we dont have to give up all those picks and THEN pay an astronomical salary to some top-5 guy who has a 50% chance of being a bust anyways. I'll take two mid to late 1st rounders over 1 top-5 any day.

Besides, there's ALWAYS a player or two who fall unexpectedly due to team needs, you never know who we could get. Last year, Aaron Rodgers was in a competition with Alex Smith for the top overall pick....but because of team needs he fell all the way to the 24th pick into the laps of the Green Bay Packers.

yeah, I don't want to deal either. I just posted the info in regards to the question asked as a hypothetical.

I'm with you, I believe this is a VERY deep draft at many positions and the perfect draft to get two first rounders, no matter where they are in the first.

PsychoChicken
12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
You gotta wonder what the Skins' GM was usin...
Crack.....

BroncoRT
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM

I don't to trade up either, I was just curious. I just hope Claude Wroten drops to us with the first pick. Huff and Bing are probably going to be gone. That's what I wanted this year, a Dlineman especially Wroten and a Safety (either Huff or Bing) in the first round, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. :mad:

JoRo
12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't to trade up either, I was just curious. I just hope Claude Wroten drops to us with the first pick. Huff and Bing are probably going to be gone. That's what I wanted this year, a Dlineman especially Wroten and a Safety (either Huff or Bing) in the first round, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. :mad:

I would love to get Bing.... heir apparent to John Lynch, everyone talks of how we have Brandon Browner and Sam Brandon... well Bronwers hurt, and what has Sam done when he has started? (look back to 03....)
Bing is fast, and big, I belive hes gonna be a real playmaker, might even make up for us passin on Ed Reed?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd trade up for Ngata, Kiwanuka, or Williams if after the offseason, our only glaring hole is on the defensive line. Especially Ngata, he's as can't-miss as they come in my opinion.

It kind of all depends on what we need come draft time and how our offseason went. If we resign Warren, there's less of a need for Ngata. If we restructure Price and sign a DE but lose Warren, then I trade up for Ngata if he makes it out of the top picks.

DE can be easily filled in free agency but probably not both sides unless we restructure Pryce. If all we need is one DE, then I try and trade up for Kiwi, Williams, or maybe even Hali.

The truth, in my eyes, is that we are only a couple players away from a Superbowl. And those players are at #3 WR and RDE and LDT.

The problem with this draft is that we will positioned perfectly with the first pick to get a 2nd tier DT, and postioned perfectly with the 2nd pick to get a 1st tier WR prospect. But the RDEs, probably the most important position, will be gone, or at least the sure-thing ones. And while we can easily fill LDE in Free Agency, RDE likely can't be.

Thus, the end dilemma....

Trade up for a sure thing RDE or stay pat and take a potential bust DT and WR?

I trade up I think.

Broncosinindy
12-22-2005, 02:53 PM
i am not really up for trading up ... i would want to trad e down to be honest with you if we could trad e our pick from washington to be in the low to mid twentie ..and get a second or a third ou of that .. id jump onn it the draft is hit and misss and if you load up the picks its harder to miss..you might get a few less allstars but you could definelty pick up some quality future vets ... look at odell thurman ..the linebacker from the seahawks.. denvers three corners and the reciever from cincy

JoRo
12-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I'd trade up for Ngata, Kiwanuka, or Williams if after the offseason, our only glaring hole is on the defensive line. Especially Ngata, he's as can't-miss as they come in my opinion.

It kind of all depends on what we need come draft time and how our offseason went. If we resign Warren, there's less of a need for Ngata. If we restructure Price and sign a DE but lose Warren, then I trade up for Ngata if he makes it out of the top picks.

DE can be easily filled in free agency but probably not both sides unless we restructure Pryce. If all we need is one DE, then I try and trade up for Kiwi, Williams, or maybe even Hali.

The truth, in my eyes, is that we are only a couple players away from a Superbowl. And those players are at #3 WR and RDE and LDT.

The problem with this draft is that we will positioned perfectly with the first pick to get a 2nd tier DT, and postioned perfectly with the 2nd pick to get a 1st tier WR prospect. But the RDEs, probably the most important position, will be gone, or at least the sure-thing ones. And while we can easily fill LDE in Free Agency, RDE likely can't be.

I trade up I think.

I would love to get a passrusher, an in my post bout Bing, I aint sayin it like id trade up for him, but if hes there when we pick, I think we should take him.... Honestly if we traded up, Id be pretty peeved to take Bing or somethin other than a "surefire" prospect such as KiWi or Mario...

I dont see us keepin Pryce unless he restructures or just plain takes a cut, and if that happens then I see the only need bein fillin the other end, I dont see us keepin Brown past this season, hes gonna prolly want more money, and though Id love for us to keep him, I just dont see it happening.

Warren May stay, all the talk is that he loves it here, but at the samet ime we still could use another DT. If we could somehow get that big DT (cant spell his name) at the redskins pick (too bad they wont lose out :P) i would be happy with our draft, at 340 lbs (thats what ive heard he weighs) he would be a big clog for our run stoppin for years to come, and give us a chance to draft some smaller ends for pass rushing (somethin we havent done latley in Denver...)

BroncoRT
12-22-2005, 03:50 PM
i am not really up for trading up ... i would want to trad e down to be honest with you if we could trad e our pick from washington to be in the low to mid twentie ..and get a second or a third ou of that .. id jump onn it the draft is hit and misss and if you load up the picks its harder to miss..you might get a few less allstars but you could definelty pick up some quality future vets ... look at odell thurman ..the linebacker from the seahawks.. denvers three corners and the reciever from cincy

If Denver were a team on rebuilding, trading down would be a good and logical idea. We did it once last year, I don't know if we will do it again. Like Mug said we are only a few players away from a championship team. We need quality now and not quantity. I am still up in the air on the draft as it is changing every day. We still might get two quality players at the mid and end of the first round and that is what I am hoping for. Trading up will be an option if Denver feels the players they want will not be around at their pick.

Trade up or trade down? Draft WR or sign FA? Draft Oline or Dline in the first round? The Browncos and Pryce will they be back?? Lepsis and Nalen???Safety??? Draft one or sign FA? Does Lynch have another year in him? What about Browner? RB, does MA have another year in him? Can Bell carry more on his back? Ron Dayne???

There are going to be so many different scenarios this coming off season for Denver, it is going to make everybody go crazy. :goofy:

DiehardinAlaska
12-22-2005, 08:16 PM
We desperately need a safety who can cover. Lynch and Ferguson are cut from the same cloth! I love Ferguson on special teams and I hope he stays around long enough to return to his natural position that Lynch currently occupies. We also need an upgrade from Myers and apparently Pope ain't it and probably a stud to fill Ekuban/Engelburger/Brown/Pryce/Colemans shoes. It's hard to imagine we can keep all those guys. Do we risk our d-line on Brown and Pryce staying healthy and productive. I'm not badmouthing them I'm just wondering aloud whether they will both be marquee-super-bowl-caliber DEs NEXT year. I'd love to see a speed guy like on one side and move Pryce over to the other with Brown and have him also spell the speed guy and the other tackle position (kind of a permanent five man rotation).

So.... yes I'd trade up to get the best safety, or I'd trade up to a get DE/DT beast if there's a can't miss kind of guy. I'm still ticked we didn't get Wilfork because a stud DT just never falls that far, especially from a big-time U.

Buffalo118
12-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I would trade our 1st round pick from Washington. Trade New Orleans our Washington pick and next year receive an earlier pick, because the Saints always suck.

Another option would be trading the Washington pick down for two early 2nd round picks from another team. The team wanting our 1st rounder would have to find a way to get another second rounder though.(We could take their 2nd round pick in the draft 2007 next year.

I would rather have two picks instead of just one.

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
If Denver were a team on rebuilding, trading down would be a good and logical idea. We did it once last year, I don't know if we will do it again. Like Mug said we are only a few players away from a championship team. We need quality now and not quantity. I am still up in the air on the draft as it is changing every day. We still might get two quality players at the mid and end of the first round and that is what I am hoping for. Trading up will be an option if Denver feels the players they want will not be around at their pick.

Trade up or trade down? Draft WR or sign FA? Draft Oline or Dline in the first round? The Browncos and Pryce will they be back?? Lepsis and Nalen???Safety??? Draft one or sign FA? Does Lynch have another year in him? What about Browner? RB, does MA have another year in him? Can Bell carry more on his back? Ron Dayne???

There are going to be so many different scenarios this coming off season for Denver, it is going to make everybody go crazy. :goofy:

one quick question if we are so close only one or two players away ..how do you have So many questions i mean shoot if we lose nalen and lepsis(hopefully lepsis wont demand millions a nd nalen wants to play another year) .. thats a BIG hit shoot pryce and born big cap hits ...(i say restructure trevor and cut brown) gerrard warren i would like to brign back but not with a BIG paydayid give him a short tender of a year so we can get another year of his play and a chance for him o prove he is great

i would imagine joe jerevicious is gonna go back to seattle and would cost a big amount of money to get him here but .. he can block and he can catch the tough catch ...i wouldnt take a chance on a reciever until late in the draft if we do....draft speaking i would wate tell next year to go higher on this one

i love john lynch he is a great player but we HAVE to address our saftey position bring in a guy with cover ability i mention that denver is 29th in the league in pass defense while they have faced a league high passing attempts... the defense has been burned both saftey and dline are to blame i dont think you can put all the blame on either position..

browner he is a question ... he had a year to learn the defense hile it be the playbook i would gie him a extensive look

MA i think we can get another decent year out of him move the pile sort of stuff ...

tatum bell is working on hs pass blocking and recieving out of the back field .. if i was mike shanahan i would defentely empahasize his strength this offseason i think he can if he does

ron dayne is getting up there i years and has never been the fetured back...here is another position i would expect the broncos to focus on in the draft late ..with there ability to pick up good players late...

in my mind that leaves us further away from th goal next year then when we came in this year...denvers picks will be mid to late picks this year nothing sure fire in those picks over a second round guy...that and above all that we dnt have alot of cash to sign those guys...i like hte idea of trading down this year... thats what san deigo and new england have done over the past few seasons ..and have grown into GREAT teams

if it was up to me i would keep our oline intact as much as possible ..as it has been the staple of our success the last few years...cut some of the high priced vets or ask them to resturcture ...id go with our first couple picks a saftey defensive end and a deffensive tackle

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE]one quick question if we are so close only one or two players away ..how do you have So many questions i mean shoot if we lose nalen and lepsis(hopefully lepsis wont demand millions a nd nalen wants to play another year) .. thats a BIG hit shoot pryce and born big cap hits ...(i say restructure trevor and cut brown) gerrard warren i would like to brign back but not with a BIG paydayid give him a short tender of a year so we can get another year of his play and a chance for him o prove he is great

The Dline is the biggest question. Who are they going to keep and who to cut loose. People can make arguments all day on this. I think Shanny is going to bring back Warren and restructure for Brown. I think Pryce and Ekuban are gone unless they resign for dirt cheap. We will also address Dline in one form or another in the draft.

I think that Nalen and Lepsis are going to be gone, I want to keep Nalen, but a gut feeling tells me he is going to be gone. From what I hear they are very happy with Myers' progress and he will probably be a LG next year. Hamilton will move to Center and Carlislsle will stay at RG. The play of Cornell Green this season tells me that he will be at RT next year and Foster will move to left. PJ Alexander will be back next year who Shanny has always been high on, and be back up guard for Myers and Carlisle.

They still need one or two more lineman and this draft has a couple of Denver type lineman in it with Eslinger and Setterstrom from Minnesota, Eric Winston from Miami, Winston Justice from USC, Daryn Colledge from Boise State. Just to name a few.

i would imagine joe jerevicious is gonna go back to seattle and would cost a big amount of money to get him here but .. he can block and he can catch the tough catch ...i wouldnt take a chance on a reciever until late in the draft if we do....draft speaking i would wate tell next year to go higher on this one

WR is a weird situation for Denver. This draft isn't very deep with great talent so I think Shanny might go into the FA to nab a WR. Jurevicious is an option along with Wayne (he will be too expensive) and Charlie Rogers will probably be released. Rogers would be my choice, take a gamble on a great talent and have Rod and Shanny groom him to be an elite WR. Adams can be a solid #3 and Lelie #2. But we need that clutch #1 to replace Rod when he leaves.

i love john lynch he is a great player but we HAVE to address our saftey position bring in a guy with cover ability i mention that denver is 29th in the league in pass defense while they have faced a league high passing attempts... the defense has been burned both saftey and dline are to blame i dont think you can put all the blame on either position..

browner he is a question ... he had a year to learn the defense hile it be the playbook i would gie him a extensive look

This draft is loaded with Safety's. If we draft either Huff or Bing in the first I would be very happy. Also Jason Allen and Jimmy Williams will be first rounders. LaRon Landry also might be a first rounder. You also have guys like Greg Blue, Pat Watkins, Anthony Smith from Syracuse, Nate Salley from OSU and Brandon Merriweather from Miami who will be good second - fourth rounders. This draft is loaded with saftety's and we will probably get one of them.

MA i think we can get another decent year out of him move the pile sort of stuff ...

tatum bell is working on hs pass blocking and recieving out of the back field .. if i was mike shanahan i would defentely empahasize his strength this offseason i think he can if he does

ron dayne is getting up there i years and has never been the fetured back...here is another position i would expect the broncos to focus on in the draft late ..with there ability to pick up good players late...

RB's do we need to even question this position anymore? I think Shanny has proven he knows what he is doing with RB's.

in my mind that leaves us further away from th goal next year then when we came in this year...denvers picks will be mid to late picks this year nothing sure fire in those picks over a second round guy...that and above all that we dnt have alot of cash to sign those guys...i like hte idea of trading down this year... thats what san deigo and new england have done over the past few seasons ..and have grown into GREAT teams

if it was up to me i would keep our oline intact as much as possible ..as it has been the staple of our success the last few years...cut some of the high priced vets or ask them to resturcture ...id go with our first couple picks a saftey defensive end and a deffensive tackle

In the NFL teams are changing from year to year and I feel that we are in a decent position this off season to continue winning. There will be obvious changes next year, but this years draft and FA market will hopefully address our issues.

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 10:32 AM
so the possiblity of getting a decent saftey with our round two pick is possible?

i like the change up on the o line if we can get myers to play broncos style bal

what do you think lepsis free agency value will be? i really dont see him comanding a HUGE salary i think he is would like to stay in denver

if it plays out this way i would defeintly look at changing to a three four and nabbing a run clogger and a rushing linebacker with our first two picks ... although i still would like to get more picks out of it ... considering our first rounder from washington maybe a 20 pick

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
so the possiblity of getting a decent saftey with our round two pick is possible?

i like the change up on the o line if we can get myers to play broncos style bal

what do you think lepsis free agency value will be? i really dont see him comanding a HUGE salary i think he is would like to stay in denver

if it plays out this way i would defeintly look at changing to a three four and nabbing a run clogger and a rushing linebacker with our first two picks ... although i still would like to get more picks out of it ... considering our first rounder from washington maybe a 20 pick

Lepsis will get a big offer from either Atlanta or Houston. He is from Texas so I could easily see him playing for the Texans next year. It would be a good fit for both him and the Texans.

Even if we have #20 and #32 ;) we still have a chance to nab Dumervil and Lawson if we switch to a 3-4. Some people say Dumervil is a top 15 pick and others say his size will drop him to low first round or second rounder. Lawson will probably be a late first rounder or second rounder.

Honestly I don't think we will change to a 3-4 because Shanny doesn't like it. We are a good team and we run into the same problem every year... the Colts. The Colts have a big problem with the 3-4 as seen with SD last week and with a healthy New England team. If we play Indy again this year and get spanked, Shanny better switch to the 3-4. Three woopings in Indy better open his eyes and make a change.

If we stay with the 4-3, I like Claude Wroten. He is a great playmaker inside getting good penetration into the backfield, but I don't know if he has size to play in a 3-4 defense. We need more of a 330lb clogger for the 3-4.

We can probably get a good safety in the third round since this draft is loaded with safety's.

TheChampion
12-23-2005, 09:39 PM

I trade up I think.

i really don't think we draft a wide receiver this year in the first couple of rounds, simply because this is a very, very thin WR class with no real standouts. also WR can very easily be found via free agency in my opinion, especially a #3 receiver. WR is the most likely position to bust and another bust certainly won't get us to the super bowl very fast

Broncosinindy
12-24-2005, 06:02 PM
thats why joe jerevicious gets the nod