PDA

View Full Version : My 3-4 thread

JoRo
12-22-2005, 06:26 PM
IF we could get a hold of Ngata (i thinki spelt it right lol sorry otherwise) how far do you all think we would be from being able to successfully use a 3-4 type defense (at least part time?)

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, you'd have arguably the most important position locked down, that being NT. The other arguable position, that of rush linebacker, would need to be addressed.

I see no reason why Mike Myers, Demetrin Veal, or Pryce/Brown/Warren could not handle DE duties. I'd really like to see Warren at DE in a 3-4, that would be interesting since it plays to his strengths and allows him to rush on occassion as well.

WILL and the two inside positions at LB would be handled with some combination of Williams, Wilson, and Gold.

John Lynch would need to be replaced with a true Free Safety type, he does not translate to a 3-4 at all.

So, in my mind, you would need a rush linebacker (Ekuban, Engleberger, Chukurah, FA/draftee) and a Free Safety (Brandon, Cox, Browner, FA/draftee).

JoRo
12-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Do you think, wit a NT and our current players, we could pull it off? JW.. I know wut you said bout Lynch, would you take him out, liek say we had Ngata now...

could we switch to it on occasional change up? I was jus wonderin, cuz the possibilities we would have if we could do both would be very good, wed be a very versatile defense, and unpredictable

BroncoRT
12-22-2005, 08:40 PM
IF we could get a hold of Ngata (i thinki spelt it right lol sorry otherwise) how far do you all think we would be from being able to successfully use a 3-4 type defense (at least part time?)

If we were going to the 3-4 defense Ngata would be great and Manny Lawson would be awesome. Lawson is the hybrid type like Demarcus Ware from last year. The guy is a freak of an athlete and would be great as the other outside LB opposite of Gold. That would be a great defense!

Babatunde and Gabe Watson would also be good 3-4 NT's along with Manny Lawson at OLB/DE, which could be possible this year in the first round. Ngata is gone in the top ten and only in our dreams will he fall.

JoRo
12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
If we were going to the 3-4 defense Ngata would be great and Manny Lawson would be awesome. Lawson is the hybrid type like Demarcus Ware from last year. The guy is a freak of an athlete and would be great as the other outside LB opposite of Gold. That would be a great defense!

Babatunde and Gabe Watson would also be good 3-4 NT's along with Manny Lawson at OLB/DE, which could be possible this year in the first round. Ngata is gone in the top ten and only in our dreams will he fall.

How often are DTs taken in the top ten?

PsychoChicken
12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
How often are DTs taken in the top ten?
There's usually 1 or 2 in there. It's not unusual or anything.

JoRo
12-22-2005, 09:40 PM
There's usually 1 or 2 in there. It's not unusual or anything.

past couple a drafts there havent been, Des maybe, no DTS... not that i can member anyways

PsychoChicken
12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
No, they weren't any in the past two years. But in 2003, there were three of them (#4-Dewayne Robertson, #6-Johnathan Sullivan, #9-Kevin Williams), in 2002 there were two (#6-Ryan Sims, #9 John Henderson), and in 2001 there was Gerard Warren at #3. That's as far back as I'll go.

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, you'd have arguably the most important position locked down, that being NT. The other arguable position, that of rush linebacker, would need to be addressed.

I see no reason why Mike Myers, Demetrin Veal, or Pryce/Brown/Warren could not handle DE duties. I'd really like to see Warren at DE in a 3-4, that would be interesting since it plays to his strengths and allows him to rush on occassion as well.

WILL and the two inside positions at LB would be handled with some combination of Williams, Wilson, and Gold.

John Lynch would need to be replaced with a true Free Safety type, he does not translate to a 3-4 at all.

So, in my mind, you would need a rush linebacker (Ekuban, Engleberger, Chukurah, FA/draftee) and a Free Safety (Brandon, Cox, Browner, FA/draftee).

not to knock here but i thought that is the reason sf got rid of engle urger thinking he could not play the rush linebackerspot when they converted to the 3-4 position

i like ekubun more then i do brown i would put him on the defensive line though ..chukurah good question thats the the only unknown

well they are playing brandon at cornerbacak this season so they must like soemthing about his covering ability .. but does his speed hurt us?

browner hopefully he spent alot of this last year in rehablitation and in the defensive huddle tagging along with some of the vet guys ...

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 09:28 AM

Here is another interesting draft scenario on the 3-4. Sign Warren to a contract and have him be a 3-4 NT clogger, if he wants to. Restructure Brown to play DE. Draft either Dumervil or Lawson or both who can be a hybrid type OLB/DE. If Shanny wants to stack a position we could realistically get both.

But drafting one DE/OLB and a NT (Babatunde or Watson) to backup Warren would make more sense if we were going to a 3-4.

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 09:30 AM
i would restucture pryce contract .. and dump brown...

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 10:09 AM
i would restucture pryce contract .. and dump brown...

Brown is younger with more upside and is probably healthier. :laugh:

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 10:20 AM
true ... i still like pryce better even at his age.. and its amazing brown has stayed healthy but has not produced

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
true ... i still like pryce better even at his age.. and its amazing brown has stayed healthy but has not produced

He has played but I don't think he is 100%. The foot injury and the elbow injury have slowed him a bit this year, even though he isn't officially listed on the injury reports. I think he will play well next year whomever he plays for.

For a while Brown was playing very well with good games against SD and Jax. He also played well from the Philly game to the Dallas game, but the last few games he and the rest of the dline have stunk it up.

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 10:37 AM
he has played through the injuries but take a look at champ:)

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 10:51 AM
he has played through the injuries but take a look at champ:)

Champ doesn't have a 330lb OT sitting on his head every play. Champ also looked terrible with the hammy injury.

Broncosinindy
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
what do you think of Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee.. it seems hes falling off in the first round

BroncoRT
12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
what do you think of Jesse Mahelona DT Tennessee.. it seems hes falling off in the first round

I saw him play once this season against South Carolina and looked pretty good. Nothing specactular. I liked Wroten more and I think he will be a beast in the NFL.