PDA

View Full Version : Kiwanuka vs. Colledge

DURANGO BRONCO
12-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I just finished the tape of the BC - Boise State game, and was dissapointed that Kiwi was mostly a non-factor. I know he is highly rated, but when he lined up against Daryn Colledge he rarely made any headway. He was double teamed a lot, but Colledge did stop him on several occasions single handled. My guess is that the stock on Colledge went way up tonight, and Kiwi might have slipped a bit.

OhNoKoolAid
12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Rarely does a player's stock slip after bowl games, since scouts understand the unusual nature of such games (no pro games ever have an entire month between them) with little in the way of continuity and familiarity. Plus, with so many more events left to go before the draft, any drop he would experience will soon be negated. I also don't think Kiwi had much to gain in today's game from facing Colledge, whereas Colledge possibly used this game to springboard his name into the left tackle mix.

I do believe players can see their stock rise in bowl games, as Colledge's might have today. Also, a player I have touted almost all season as a raw but exciting wideout, Will Blackmon, had likely his best game of the year, and still looks similar to Chris Chambers to me. A Scouts Inc. article I saw recently had moved Blackmon to the second day, but I think he makes a great third round choice as a jack of all trades, and a boost to our kick return game that is near the bottom of the league (thanks to Darrent's value gradually pushing him out of the return game, and Roc's perpetual nature to run into the back of his wall.) In fact, both Colledge and Blackmon would be good fits in Denver, with Colledge being taken in round two.

All in all, this was a tough game to watch, that blue turf has zero appeal to me, and cheapens the experience in my opinion.

PsychoChicken
12-28-2005, 08:23 PM
I do believe players can see their stock rise in bowl games, as Colledge's might have today. Also, a player I have touted almost all season as a raw but exciting wideout, Will Blackmon, had likely his best game of the year, and still looks similar to Chris Chambers to me. A Scouts Inc. article I saw recently had moved Blackmon to the second day, but I think he makes a great third round choice as a jack of all trades, and a boost to our kick return game that is near the bottom of the league (thanks to Darrent's value gradually pushing him out of the return game, and Roc's perpetual nature to run into the back of his wall.) In fact, both Colledge and Blackmon would be good fits in Denver, with Colledge being taken in round two.
Just out of curiosity, do you see Blackmon playing WR or CB in the NFL? From what I've heard, he'll probably be put back at CB, but based on your post, it sounds like you seem as a WR.

OhNoKoolAid
12-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you see Blackmon playing WR or CB in the NFL? From what I've heard, he'll probably be put back at CB, but based on your post, it sounds like you seem as a WR.

I think he could play either, but if I had my choice, I'd like to see him continue his development at wide receiver. His run-after-the-catch ability excites me as a fan of a west coast oriented team, but he needs more work on route running. At the median, he's Antwan Randle El or Az Hakim should he continue at his current rate of development, and I think he would be an excellent future slot receiver that could line up in dime situations, kick return, run reverses, etc. The fact that Boston College liked him so much at receiver that they didn't want him to play 15 snaps a game at defense to keep him rested for offense should say enough about his ability. He's a very raw playmaker, but his utility makes him a worth while gamble. If we're talking Broncos, I like him at receiver first, and if we are just being neutral I'd still say receiver. A lot will depend on the needs of the team that drafts him. Either way, they are getting an exciting talent with a high ceiling.

BroncoRT
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
I just finished the tape of the BC - Boise State game, and was dissapointed that Kiwi was mostly a non-factor. I know he is highly rated, but when he lined up against Daryn Colledge he rarely made any headway. He was double teamed a lot, but Colledge did stop him on several occasions single handled. My guess is that the stock on Colledge went way up tonight, and Kiwi might have slipped a bit.

Both of these guys are going to be studs in the NFL. Colledge will be interesting if he is available in the second round along with Greg Eslinger of Minnesota.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, Mel Kiper said on his chat today that Kiwanuka has fallen due to inconsistency this season and is now in the mid-late 1st round. He said Tamba Hali and Mario Williams are top 10 picks.

WABronco
12-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, Mel Kiper said on his chat today that Kiwanuka has fallen due to inconsistency this season and is now in the mid-late 1st round. He said Tamba Hali and Mario Williams are top 10 picks.

Sweet...

Yea, he's really high on Hali though.

Lol, he's got Anthony Smith and Dwayne Slay in his top 25...

Skywalker
12-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Lol, he's got Anthony Smith and Dwayne Slay in his top 25...

Im sorry....but who is Anthony Smith and Dwayne Slay? :confused:

PsychoChicken
12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Im sorry....but who is Anthony Smith and Dwayne Slay? :confused:
Anthony Smith - The player's whose bandwagon I jumped on midseason. He's a free safety for Syracuse. He's the quintessential centerfielder, whom we could really use for coverage purposes. He's a big time playmaker, intercepts/defends lots of passes and is always around the ball by the end of a play. He's among the tops in the nation in interceptions and passes defensed all while leading Syracuse in tackles. He's also one of the best special teamers in college football, especially in blocking punts. As a late second-third round pick, he seems to fit the mold of some free safeties who were picked at similary spots and are starting in the league today. The fact that Mel Kiper has him as the #19 ranked senior might be a bit high, but it backs up my full support of him.

Dwayne Slay - Free safety for Texas Tech. I haven't seem him play this year, but from what I've heard, he's a big, physical safety who hits hard and he leads his team in tackles. Probably translates to strong safety in the NFL. About a 3rd-4th round pick.

Perry1977
12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Sweet, maybe we can pick up Kiwi with our first pick, and Colledge with the second one! ;)

Make no mistake, Colledge will be long gone by our round two pick...if we want him, and I think we do, we gotta burn our second first rounder on him.

Finally seeing him play has only gotten me on the Colledge bandwagon further, and he is the player I most hope we get out of this draft, because I believe we won't have a shot at Kiwi.

Sevenis7
12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
I think people are high on Kiwi's POTENTIAL rather than his REALITY. I'll preface my statement by saying that I haven't watched many BC games, but seeing Kiwi's performance (or non-performance) in last year's bowl game against Virginia and this year's game against Boise State, I really don't see what the fuss is all about. The guy's tall, but light. I really think someone's going to be disappointed in drafting him...

AZ Snake Fan
12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
--- did you know that Kiwi is the grandson of the first Prime Minister of Uganda, who was assassinated by the brutal Idi Amin ? ---

OhNoKoolAid
12-31-2005, 06:41 PM
--- did you know that Kiwi is the grandson of the first Prime Minister of Uganda, who was assassinated by the brutal Idi Amin ? ---

According to ESPN, he also plans on spending the majority of his signing bonus on rebuilding and resupplying areas of Uganda. He sounds like quite the humanitarian. Kiwi, Ngata and Gabe Watson have all had nice stories of humanitarian efforts this bowl season.

OrangePeel
01-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I think he could play either, but if I had my choice, I'd like to see him continue his development at wide receiver. His run-after-the-catch ability excites me as a fan of a west coast oriented team, but he needs more work on route running. At the median, he's Antwan Randle El or Az Hakim should he continue at his current rate of development, and I think he would be an excellent future slot receiver that could line up in dime situations, kick return, run reverses, etc. The fact that Boston College liked him so much at receiver that they didn't want him to play 15 snaps a game at defense to keep him rested for offense should say enough about his ability. He's a very raw playmaker, but his utility makes him a worth while gamble. If we're talking Broncos, I like him at receiver first, and if we are just being neutral I'd still say receiver. A lot will depend on the needs of the team that drafts him. Either way, they are getting an exciting talent with a high ceiling.

I am very excited at the how well blackmon is playing, and am very hopeful that at least the Bronco's are scouting him. Where do you project him in the draft?

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 03:45 PM
I am very excited at the how well blackmon is playing, and am very hopeful that at least the Bronco's are scouting him. Where do you project him in the draft?

He's a complete wildcard at this point, because I'm not sure where teams value him position-wise. I'll be safe and say rounds 3-5, but a lot will depend on postseason games and the combine. I think he could be a second round pick at best, but as of now, he's one of the toughest players to project.