PDA

View Full Version : OT-Seahawks '06 Draft

WABronco
12-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey, Draft Gurus!

Who do you see the 'Hawks taking in the first few rounds?

I, off hand, cannot think of a glaring need...

Maybe Guard, or even RB if they choose to let Alexander go, but that's about it.

Actually, come to think of it, they should address WR in the first two rounds. D-Jack's a stud, but Bobby Engram's gettin' old and JJ's most likely gone in FA. They've got a good lookin' youngster in DJ Hackett too...

Opinions?

OhNoKoolAid
12-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey, Draft Gurus!

Who do you see the 'Hawks taking in the first few rounds?

I, off hand, cannot think of a glaring need...

Maybe Guard, or even RB if they choose to let Alexander go, but that's about it.

Actually, come to think of it, they should address WR in the first two rounds. D-Jack's a stud, but Bobby Engram's gettin' old and JJ's most likely gone in FA. They've got a good lookin' youngster in DJ Hackett too...

Opinions?

Seattle faces a very critical decision regarding Alexander this off season. While the decision may not be popular, letting him walk may be a wise decision for a number of reasons. First of all, a bell cow back that carries his type of load will see a decline after the age 30 season, sometimes a sudden collapse, as was the case with Eddie George and to some degree, Stephen Davis. Locking Alexander up long term may look great for two seasons, but in the remaining four years, there is a chance they will be paying 8 million to a shell of the former player (remember, there are more Eddie George's than there are Curtis Martin's.) Second, how much of Alexander's success can be attributed to their outstanding line? And third, is there anyone available that could come in and replace Alexander without knocking this team off the NFC throne? Seattle is in Super Bowl mode for about two or three seasons from now, so anyone replacing Alexander would need to be able to aid the cause rather than freeload.

With that in mind, I would not like to be in position to make that call. So, when looking a the draft, I'll assume that Alexander is with the team. Obviously wide receiver will be a position to be addressed, but I'm going to stray from all the obvious and offer an different position, weakside linebacker. With Hill and Tatupu, Seattle has the makings of an elite linebacking core. Tatupu has defied my expectations, but I did love LeRoy Hill, comparing him to our own Ian Gold, but even then he has gone beyond my expectations, and should be mentioned in the same breath with Demarcus Ware, and possibly right after Shawne Merriman (?). D.D. Lewis, although solid, is the type of player that is always in line to be upgraded. Looking at late first linebackers, D'Qwell Jackson of Maryland would be a good fit, as hs ability to fly around sideline to sideline will give Seattle arguably the best very young, playmaking unit in the league.

WABronco
12-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Seattle faces a very critical decision regarding Alexander this off season. While the decision may not be popular, letting him walk may be a wise decision for a number of reasons. First of all, a bell cow back that carries his type of load will see a decline after the age 30 season, sometimes a sudden collapse, as was the case with Eddie George and to some degree, Stephen Davis. Locking Alexander up long term may look great for two seasons, but in the remaining four years, there is a chance they will be paying 8 million to a shell of the former player (remember, there are more Eddie George's than there are Curtis Martin's.) Second, how much of Alexander's success can be attributed to their outstanding line? And third, is there anyone available that could come in and replace Alexander without knocking this team off the NFC throne? Seattle is in Super Bowl mode for about two or three seasons from now, so anyone replacing Alexander would need to be able to aid the cause rather than freeload.

With that in mind, I would not like to be in position to make that call. So, when looking a the draft, I'll assume that Alexander is with the team. Obviously wide receiver will be a position to be addressed, but I'm going to stray from all the obvious and offer an different position, weakside linebacker. With Hill and Tatupu, Seattle has the makings of an elite linebacking core. Tatupu has defied my expectations, but I did love LeRoy Hill, comparing him to our own Ian Gold, but even then he has gone beyond my expectations, and should be mentioned in the same breath with Demarcus Ware, and possibly right after Shawne Merriman (?). D.D. Lewis, although solid, is the type of player that is always in line to be upgraded. Looking at late first linebackers, D'Qwell Jackson of Maryland would be a good fit, as hs ability to fly around sideline to sideline will give Seattle arguably the best very young, playmaking unit in the league.

Yea, forgot to mention D.D. He's a fiery-leader type, but yea, he could be replaced quite easily.

LeRoy Hill's an absolute stud, especially on the pass rush.

I'd be happy with a WR/LB combo in rounds 1-2. cool...