PDA

View Full Version : He was "Ngata" first rounder tonight

OhNoKoolAid
12-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Haloti Ngata continued a trend I've hampered on all season, he simply doesn't string good games together and remains inconsistent. While only double teamed, Ngata rarely split it or held the point, and was allowed to get pushed off the line by a Sooner line that has struggled all season to push the pile. Now I've seen games where Ngata has appeared to be a stud in the making, but other nights he is just a space eater. His upside is higher than Gabe Watson's, but I'm not sure why everyone continually dogs Watson for inconsistency, but gives Ngata the free pass...

He's still the top tackle in the draft, and I would still consider him a top ten talent, but he isn't the end all of tackles and he is far from a finished product. I think he may take struggle upon his arrival in the pros and needs to correct his inconsistency struggles to be the great player he can be.

Other thoughts from tonight:

Anthony Trucks would be good fit in the Denver system at ROLB, and would help our blitzing packages as a pass rusher. I've not seen much mention on him and his tweener size likely makes him a day two pick, but you cannot deny his production. He would be a solid selection on day two for depth, and his history as a pass rusher could come in handy in our zone blitz scheme.

Davin Joseph is still a guard prospect to me. He held up okay tonight against both Long and Sanders, but he isn't in the league of the first round tackles, and his size is a detrminent to the position. He's a second round guard should be seen as one, and could stand out at the position more.

Demetrius Williams misses Clemens. I only saw one post Clemens game, but the games when Williams had a stable QB, he looked like a bonafide playmaker and could thrive in the west coast scheme employed by the Broncos. I've been quite impressed with this guy throughout the season and think he'd be a great fit in round two, if he was available. He looks like a serious burner, and if he times well, he may not be available in round two. Was more of an afterthought in tonight's game, mostly due to Oregon's pathetic line play disrupting the timing of deep routes.

Oregon's offensive line is dreadful. Quite simply, they are fat and slow. They are the main reason Oregon lost tonight, since Oklahoma has not mustered any type of pass rush against solid teams. That performance is worth an assistant firing, the worst positional talent display I've seen in the Bowl season thus far. That and Reggie Ball...

I pity Calvin Johnson for being stuck with Ball for one more season. If Gailey enjoys his job, he may want to explore other QB options. That offense looks like a sports car going 15 mph in a neighborhood driven by a driver's ed student/flunkee. It's terribly bland and ineffective despite serious talent in Johnson and Daniels. If you think Ball is a worthy ACC QB, you lack the aptitude to follow college football intelligently.

WABronco
12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
I pity Calvin Johnson for being stuck with Ball for one more season. If Gailey enjoys his job, he may want to explore other QB options. That offense looks like a sports car going 15 mph in a neighborhood driven by a driver's ed student/flunkee. It's terribly bland and ineffective despite serious talent in Johnson and Daniels. If you think Ball is a worthy ACC QB, you lack the aptitude to follow college football intelligently.

hehehe...

But yeah, I agree. Ngata, while constantly doubleteamed, didn't do enough in my book. He's still a stud though...

Lol, you get a CP for both that snippet and the thread title... :beer:

BroncoRT
12-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Haloti Ngata continued a trend I've hampered on all season, he simply doesn't string good games together and remains inconsistent. While only double teamed, Ngata rarely split it or held the point, and was allowed to get pushed off the line by a Sooner line that has struggled all season to push the pile. Now I've seen games where Ngata has appeared to be a stud in the making, but other nights he is just a space eater. His upside is higher than Gabe Watson's, but I'm not sure why everyone continually dogs Watson for inconsistency, but gives Ngata the free pass...

He's still the top tackle in the draft, and I would still consider him a top ten talent, but he isn't the end all of tackles and he is far from a finished product. I think he may take struggle upon his arrival in the pros and needs to correct his inconsistency struggles to be the great player he can be.

The other Samoan stud in Steve Fifita was more impressive for Utah than Ngata. He was in the backifield making plays all day long with great penetration. I heard that he was defensive MVP for them in last years bowl game. He is a little short at six feet but is a load at 320lb's. He showed great leverage and technique with a great motor yesterday. How come nobody is talking about this guy in the draft? Is it because he is playing in Utah where they get no media attention? He looks like he could be second or third round material.

This is the second entire game I have seen with Ngata the other being USC in which nobody looks good. He is a beast of a man, but he takes a lot of plays off. I saw at least a dozen plays or so where he is just going through the motions. Another thing that caught my eye was if he is such a stuffer how come Oregon has had so many teams run against them with a good dine and the best stuffer in college football?

Arizona- Mike Bell 158 yards
Cal- Marshawn Lynch 189 yards
WSU-Jerome Harrison -143 Yards
OSU-Bernard -128 yards

Peterson only had 83 yards but he was rusty and wasn't the same back as last year. This Oregon dline looks good but they get run on. I was very dissapointed in Ngata and Oregon. He was gettting double teamed a lot, but he didn't split them or penetrate like I thought he would and didn't make any plays, but OMG is he a mammoth of a man. His sheer size is going to get him drafted not his heart. He might be another Junior Siavii, all the potential and physical ability, but missing that intangible to be a star.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Think on this... there is not another NFL prospect on the entire Oregon defense, let alone the defensive line.

He was double or triple teamed almost every snap he played.

The running game was shut down the 1st half before he seemed to tire. It's also a relatively meaningless game at the end of a long season.

The difference between Gabe Watson and Ngata is that Watson is single blocked the majority of the game.

Part of Ngata's value is that you have to double team him, which theoretically should free up his teammates or a blitzer. Usually he still beats the double team anyway, but he didn't so much tonight. Not his best performance, but it won't impact him negatively in any way.

The thing about the bowl games is that they don't matter one bit, neither to scouts nor to players. They only matter in terms of finances to the schools. The top bowls matter for the National Championship or for pride, but most of them do not. The players will show their stuff in the all-star "practices" and the combine.

All-star practices, the combine, and the overall body of collegiate work is what matters. At this point of the season, most NFL prospects just want to get through the game without injury.

TheChampion
12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
At this point of the season, most NFL prospects just want to get through the game without injury.

i strongly disagree with this statement.

collegiate athletes have a tremendous amount of respect for their respective schools and fans loyal to that program. if bowl games don't count matter, then why do we have them?

also, as my junior high and high school football coaches have always said, the best way to avoid injury is to go 100% on every play. this is the case at every level with every player.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-30-2005, 01:11 PM
i strongly disagree with this statement.

collegiate athletes have a tremendous amount of respect for their respective schools and fans loyal to that program. if bowl games don't count matter, then why do we have them?

also, as my junior high and high school football coaches have always said, the best way to avoid injury is to go 100% on every play. this is the case at every level with every player.

Fair enough. The statement is the truth however.

Your coaches statement is a method of motivation, nothing more. It's common sense that going 100% into the trenches for example, puts you in position to have your leg undercut and broken, whereas simply holding up your block but staying out of the trench battle decreases your odds of injury. You know, the entire zone of impact x potential causers x focus on making the play, not avoiding people coming from behind...etc....

But as far as Bowl games go, it's the truth, most players that are "Top NFL prospects" do not view these games as important. Especially after what happened with McGahee and other players. Players playing in the top bowls will perform, those who are not, have no need.

Scouts will freely tell you that the Combine, All-Star practices, and the overall college season (including Bowl games) are the main factors. For example, Mathias Kiwanuka had little need to prove he was elite against Daryn Colledge, but Colledge needed to show he could stop Kiwanuka. One of those guys tried, one didn't. However, even though Colledge looked good, most scouts will know Kiwanuka did not try, and more importantly they won't care as long as he tests well.

TheChampion
12-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Fair enough. The statement is the truth however.

Your coaches statement is a method of motivation, nothing more. It's common sense that going 100% into the trenches for example, puts you in position to have your leg undercut and broken, whereas simply holding up your block but staying out of the trench battle decreases your odds of injury. You know, the entire zone of impact x potential causers x focus on making the play, not avoiding people coming from behind...etc....

okay, i agree with your point as pertains to a defensive tackle....however a skill position such as a running back...the best way to get hurt is to run like you are trying not to get hurt. as a HS running back i find this to be true. but back on topic...football is a very physically demanding sport and the only way to guarantee your health is to not play at all. any player can be seriously hurt on almost any given play, and that risk is one thing that makes football the greatest sport.

MindField
12-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Think on this... there is not another NFL prospect on the entire Oregon defense, let alone the defensive line.

He was double or triple teamed almost every snap he played.

The running game was shut down the 1st half before he seemed to tire. It's also a relatively meaningless game at the end of a long season.

The difference between Gabe Watson and Ngata is that Watson is single blocked the majority of the game.

Part of Ngata's value is that you have to double team him, which theoretically should free up his teammates or a blitzer. Usually he still beats the double team anyway, but he didn't so much tonight. Not his best performance, but it won't impact him negatively in any way.

The thing about the bowl games is that they don't matter one bit, neither to scouts nor to players. They only matter in terms of finances to the schools. The top bowls matter for the National Championship or for pride, but most of them do not. The players will show their stuff in the all-star "practices" and the combine.

All-star practices, the combine, and the overall body of collegiate work is what matters. At this point of the season, most NFL prospects just want to get through the game without injury.

I agree. NT's like Ngata are like what they used to say about Corners back in the Day.....that is, the less you hear about them, the better job they are doing. NT's like Ngata are there to take up space in the middle of the LOS (see Ted Washington), tie up O-linemen and let other players, namely the LB's make plays.

Ngata has had a string of nagging injuries, but I have not heard that he is a Dog and does not give the effort, and let's face it, 6'4"-345lb behemouth's like Ngata don't grow on tree's.

He sorta reminds me of Wilfork from a couple of years back. Scouts started to question his intensity and determination, but that did not keep the Patriots from jumping up to get him, and look what they have now.

I thknk if we get Washington's pick at No. 21, to get Ngata there would be a good, quality pick.

He is also an intimidating-looking SOB....shaved head with the long beard, yikes!

OhNoKoolAid
12-30-2005, 04:18 PM
The other Samoan stud in Steve Fifita was more impressive for Utah than Ngata. He was in the backifield making plays all day long with great penetration. I heard that he was defensive MVP for them in last years bowl game. He is a little short at six feet but is a load at 320lb's. He showed great leverage and technique with a great motor yesterday. How come nobody is talking about this guy in the draft? Is it because he is playing in Utah where they get no media attention? He looks like he could be second or third round material.

Or how about Martail Burnett? That guy showed impressive pass rushing instincts and athleticism. For a sophomore defensive end, he seemed to grasp the game very well and looked like he has the type of build to add weight while maintaining speed. Both Burnett and Fifita warrant NFL consideration when they reach the draft, Fifita this year and Burnett in likely two years. Granted, it also looked like Georgia Tech's line mailed it in.

Watching that game, I can see why Utah lost as many games as they did, they simply do not appear to be very deep talent-wise, but they are a well coached football team, and their QB race in the spring bears monitoring, with Ratliff, injured starter Johnson and OU transfer Grady.

I also think that Gaither is worth a late round look for a team like Denver. His late season rushing totals are pretty impressive, and he displayed size, burst, receiving ability, and blitz awareness. He looks like a jack of all trades master of none power back, and we've been successful with that type in the past (Droughns?).