PDA

View Full Version : Browns in downward spiral since Elway's Drive, hilarious!

Cory81
12-30-2005, 12:32 PM
For those of you who don't know, Phil Savage (soon to be former GM of the Browns) was one of the masterminds behind the Baltimore Ravens drafts when they took Jon Ogden and Ray Lewis with their first 2 overall picks in team history, plus players like Chris McAlister, Jamal Lewis, Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, Todd Heap and Ed Reed.

And guess what the Browns did?

THEY FIRED HIM!

Sources: Browns ready to fire GM Savage
By ESPN.com news services
ESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Browns plan to fire senior vice president and general manager Phil Savage, NFL sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday.

The split is over "philosophical differences," primarily salary cap management. The announcement could come as early as Friday, Mortensen reported. Savage could not be reached for comment.

Atlanta Falcons chief administation officer Ray Anderson is a candidate to replace Savage, who joined the Browns on Jan. 6.

The Browns, who are 5-10 in coach Romeo Crennel's first season in Cleveland, play Baltimore on Sunday.

Savage spent the past nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens organization, including 2003-04 as the Ravens' director of player personnel. He is known as one of the NFL's top talent evaluators.

In Baltimore, the 14-year veteran of the league worked directly with general manager Ozzie Newsome to oversee college and pro scouting. While there, Savage was involved in many of the day-to-day operations of the team and also negotiated contracts of late-round draft picks.

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Whatever you say. Put this in rumor section. Savage is not getting fired. Savage has done a very good job in this last draft and is in no danger of gettng fired.

Cory81
12-30-2005, 12:36 PM
ESPN.com and ESPNNEWS Bottom Line say otherwise.

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 12:47 PM
That will never happen. Savage will not get fired. Furthermore what the F does Elway have to do with it? Maybe someone should mention where the Broncos have been sine Elway retired?

Cory81
12-30-2005, 12:53 PM
That will never happen. Savage will not get fired.

We'll see in a few hours if you're more accurate than ESPN, won't we?

DenverBroncosJM
12-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Maybe someone should mention where the Broncos have been sine Elway retired?

The Playoffs 3 times...thats umm three more times than the ahh well you get it :)

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Then why in the hell did he mention Elway? Elway has nothing to do with it. That is like saying the Colts lost to the Chargers because of what Elway did. That is stupid. The Drive was 20 freaking years ago.

Ravage!!!
12-30-2005, 01:16 PM
The Playoffs 3 times...thats umm three more times than the ahh well you get it :)

actually four times. We went with Griese as well.

But I have to agree. Elway has nothing to do with this statement or article. But apparently, there is talk about Savage getting fired.

I HOPE Denver takes a look at this and thinks about hiring him.

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Savage is going nowhere. Because if Lerner does agree with Collins (who is causing the problems - also took the spill for the Jackson halftime thing) and fires Phil. On Sunday everyone will let Lerner know - the same way they let Modell know. So by Sunday at least the tables will be turned and Collins will be gone and Savage will be back.

Buff_bronc_fan
12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Savage is going nowhere. Because if Lerner does agree with Collins (who is causing the problems - also took the spill for the Jackson halftime thing) and fires Phil. On Sunday everyone will let Lerner know - the same way they let Modell know. So by Sunday at least the tables will be turned and Collins will be gone and Savage will be back.

Hmmm, well you must know something that everyone else does not... www.profootballtalk.com is reporting the same thing. I believe Savage will be shown the door man. I don't know much about the situation, so if you know something we do not, then please share...

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Furthermore this all seems like smoke.

Anderson is an Administration person. Doesn't it seem odd that a team would fire a General Manager and replace him with a person that runs teams financially?

John Collins is getting fired. Not Savage. John Collins is the Team President and in charge of finances. This is the only logical choice. No way Savage is fired and replaced by this guy.

topscribe
12-30-2005, 03:11 PM
:confused:

-----

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 03:30 PM
After listening to WTAM (Cleveland news radio):

Savage overstepped his duties and interfered with the duties of the team president. So the team has issued an ultimatum to Savage: Let the team hire someone to help him in his duties or he will be fired.

Rookie mistake IMHO. His first GM job - he didn't exactly know what to do and didn't have help. Hopefully he accepts the teams offer and stays.

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Well,

looks like Savage refused to rework his contract and allow extra help. So he is gone.

:sick: :mad:

You have no clue how bad this is.

Lemme put it in sense related to the Broncos .. this would be like the Broncos firing Shanahan and hiring Norv Turner as his replacement

JRWIZ
12-30-2005, 04:04 PM
But I have to agree. Elway has nothing to do with this statement or article. But apparently, there is talk about Savage getting fired.

Greasy was not the QB of record, he was on duty for the first part of the season.

I know how much Y'all want to make him a great QB but PLEASE!

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Wait .. Collins is gonna get on the radio and answer everything. Will let you all know what he says.

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 04:12 PM
He's not fired!!!

They renewed their contracts
They merely held a conferance together on what could be done to help the team better. Some media person got the tape from what was mentioned and Savage was not fired and will NOT be fired.

rugbythug
12-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Greasy was not the QB of record, he was on duty for the first part of the season.

I know how much Y'all want to make him a great QB but PLEASE!

Just for your record this is the year he went to the PROBOWL

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 05:40 PM
For those that will not take my word - here is the team's response:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5017.0.html

Browns respond to Savage rumors
December 30, 2005

In response to rumors that were widely circulated today, the Cleveland Browns wish to reiterate that Phil Savage is and will continue to be our senior vice president and general manager.

“Although it is our policy not to respond to rumors, in fairness to our fans, we felt it necessary to dispel them,” Browns president and chief executive officer John Collins said. “It was unfortunate and very unfair to the organization and especially to our fans, but we are happy to put this behind us and focus on our game this Sunday and the busy offseason ahead.

“Together, we are going to continue to do whatever is necessary to reestablish the Browns as one of the premiere franchises in all of sports.”

BroncoFanCam
12-30-2005, 06:25 PM

If what that article says is true Mr. Bowlen and company need to do whatever it takes to get him here. :beer:

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Savage still running Browns
By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
December 30, 2005

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Browns president John Collins denied Friday that the club was planning to fire general manager Phil Savage, who was hired less than a year ago to help fix Cleveland's floundering franchise.

"Phil's not going anywhere," Collins said. "He hasn't been fired, and he's not going to be fired. There is no reduction of responsibility. There is no rift."

ESPN.com reported Friday that Savage, Baltimore's former personnel director who was hired on Jan. 6 to stabilize a fractured front office in Cleveland, was on the verge of being fired over "philosophical differences."

However, Collins said he and owner Randy Lerner are pleased with Savage's performance in his first season and have no intention of letting him go. With rumors running rampant about a shakeup two days before Cleveland's season finale against Baltimore, Collins met with Savage, Lerner and coach Romeo Crennel.

"We sat down and we basically renewed our vows," Collins said. "I'm not really sure where this got started."

Asked if Savage is going to resign, Collins said, "I don't think so. Phil is raw about what happened, and understandably so."

Savage, who had been planning to scout bowl games this weekend, could not be reached in his office or at his suburban home.

Collins, who joined the Browns in 2004, said the Browns' front office is about to undergo some changes, with financial vice president Doug Jacobs and chief operating officer Lew Merletti taking on new roles.

Collins said Mike Keenan, the NFL management council's finance director, will join the Browns to replace Jacobs and there have been ongoing discussions about bringing in others to upgrade Cleveland's management team.

Savage and Crennel are the most recent additions to a front office that hasn't worked together for a year. Collins said the group is still finding its way together, and that there are bound to be problems.

"We've felt our way through this season," Collins said. "Has there been moments when we could have made better decisions? Have there been times when the communication could have been better? Yeah. But we're getting better."

Collins said he and Savage "have a mutual respect and hopefully we can have some fun together."

Considered one of the NFL's top talent evaluators for his success in nine years drafting players for the Ravens, the 40-year-old Savage was brought to Cleveland to rebuild the Browns' roster, and he has spent most of this season on the road scouting college players.

Savage's strength is his ability to find quality players, and in his first draft with the Browns, he selected wide receiver Braylon Edwards (No. 3 overall) in the first round and quarterback Charlie Frye in the third.

Edwards, who sat out part of training camp in a contract holdout, tore a knee ligament in a Dec. 4 game against Jacksonville, ending his rookie season. Frye will make his fifth start on Sunday when the Browns (5-10) host the Ravens.

The rest of Cleveland's first draft class under Savage has gotten little playing time for Crennel.

Savage's arrival was heralded as a positive step for the Browns, who are just 35-77 since they returned to the NFL in 1999 as an expansion team. The club's progress has been undermined by poor draft picks, injuries and instability.

While speculation swirled about his future in Cleveland, Savage finalized a four-year contract extension Friday for cornerback Leigh Bodden, a three-year veteran who has played well filling in for the injured Gary Baxter.

In 10 starts this season, Bodden has 55 tackles, three interceptions and forced two fumbles.

Updated on Friday, Dec 30, 2005 7:51 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgKDGbM5Yd1AKHPnzuog5O45nYcB?slug=ap-browns-savage&prov=ap&type=lgns

PR-Broncomaniac
12-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Well,

looks like Savage refused to rework his contract and allow extra help. So he is gone.

You have no clue how bad this is.

Lemme put it in sense related to the Broncos .. this would be like the Broncos firing Shanahan and hiring Norv Turner as his replacement

I Guess the mediocrity in the Brown organization is assured for years to come....... :ugh:

Seems like being a Brown fan is tough these days, but at least you have LeBron to be hopeful about.

:heh:

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Browns president: Savage staying as GM

NFL.com wire reports

CLEVELAND (Dec. 30, 2005) -- Browns president John Collins denied that the club was planning to fire general manager Phil Savage, who was hired less than a year ago to help fix Cleveland's floundering franchise.

"Phil's not going anywhere," Collins said. "He hasn't been fired, and he's not going to be fired. There is no reduction of responsibility. There is no rift."

ESPN.com reported Dec. 30 that Savage, Baltimore's former personnel director who was hired on Jan. 6 to stabilize a fractured front office in Cleveland, was on the verge of being fired over "philosophical differences."

However, Collins said he and owner Randy Lerner are pleased with Savage's performance in his first season and have no intention of letting him go. With rumors running rampant about a shakeup two days before Cleveland's season finale against Baltimore, Collins met with Savage, Lerner and coach Romeo Crennel.

"We sat down and we basically renewed our vows," Collins said. "I'm not really sure where this got started."

Asked if Savage is going to resign, Collins said, "I don't think so. Phil is raw about what happened, and understandably so."

Savage, who had been planning to scout bowl games this weekend, could not be reached in his office or at his suburban home.

Collins, who joined the Browns in 2004, said the Browns' front office is about to undergo some changes, with financial vice president Doug Jacobs and chief operating officer Lew Merletti taking on new roles.

Collins said Mike Keenan, the NFL management council's finance director, will join the Browns to replace Jacobs and there have been ongoing discussions about bringing in others to upgrade Cleveland's management team.

Savage and Crennel are the most recent additions to a front office that hasn't worked together for a year. Collins said the group is still finding its way together, and that there are bound to be problems.

"We've felt our way through this season," Collins said. "Has there been moments when we could have made better decisions? Have there been times when the communication could have been better? Yeah. But we're getting better."

Collins said he and Savage "have a mutual respect and hopefully we can have some fun together."

Considered one of the NFL's top talent evaluators for his success in nine years drafting players for the Ravens, the 40-year-old Savage was brought to Cleveland to rebuild the Browns' roster, and he has spent most of this season on the road scouting college players.

Savage's strength is his ability to find quality players, and in his first draft with the Browns, he selected wide receiver Braylon Edwards (No. 3 overall) in the first round and quarterback Charlie Frye in the third.

Edwards, who sat out part of training camp in a contract holdout, tore a knee ligament in a Dec. 4 game against Jacksonville, ending his rookie season. Frye will make his fifth start on Sunday when the Browns (5-10) host the Ravens.

The rest of Cleveland's first draft class under Savage has gotten little playing time for Crennel.

Savage's arrival was heralded as a positive step for the Browns, who are just 35-77 since they returned to the NFL in 1999 as an expansion team. The club's progress has been undermined by poor draft picks, injuries and instability.

While speculation swirled about his future in Cleveland, Savage finalized a four-year contract extension Dec. 30 for cornerback Leigh Bodden, a three-year veteran who has played well filling in for the injured Gary Baxter.

In 10 starts this season, Bodden has 55 tackles, three interceptions and forced two fumbles.

from http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/9125289

But still on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275447

Collins has denied that the team plans to fire Savage -- including through a statement on the team's website that said Savage "is and will continue to be our senior vice president and general manager" -- but Mortensen has confirmed the team's plan with several sources.

Davii
12-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Who cares?

Why is this thread here?

Other than one Browns fan, who cares?

I thought this was the Broncos message area...

PR-Broncomaniac
12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Who cares?

Why is this thread here?

LMAO.

He is arguing with himself.................... :goofy:

It is insane.

ROFL!!!!

Charlie Brown
12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Who cares?

Why is this thread here?

I didn't create this thread.

Don't look at me.

Long ago I posted in feedback asking the moderators to delete this since it is a false report. But no answer as of yet.

JRWIZ
12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Just for your record this is the year he went to the PROBOWL

He did not play a complete season and had good stats in those games. I think had he completed the season his numbers would have decreased.

Just MHO.

Broncosinindy
01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
That will never happen. Savage will not get fired. Furthermore what the F does Elway have to do with it? Maybe someone should mention where the Broncos have been sine Elway retired?
been to three playoffs with out elway.. is clevland still trying to get hte first pick year in and year out?