PDA

View Full Version : I Player We Really Should Draft-EPSN Agrees

SethGrandpa
12-30-2005, 04:22 PM
This was on ESPN.com....the article was about undervalued players:

Greg Eslinger, OC, Minnesota
His feet, intelligence, technique and athleticism are unparalleled in the 2006 center class. Will fit best in the NFL on a team that covets mobility and precision over size and strength. He has the zone-blocking experience to immediately contribute in a similar scheme; could be the perfect heir-apparent for OC Tom Nalen in Denver.

This guy really is sick. I think he's the best OL in college this year, but his stock isn't very high. Picking him up would be huge for depth and the Broncos' future. Nalen isn't gonna play forever, so why wait till' he retires to get a heir-apparent.

MindField
12-30-2005, 04:54 PM

His feet, intelligence, technique and athleticism are unparalleled in the 2006 center class. Will fit best in the NFL on a team that covets mobility and precision over size and strength. He has the zone-blocking experience to immediately contribute in a similar scheme; could be the perfect heir-apparent for OC Tom Nalen in Denver.

This guy really is sick. I think he's the best OL in college this year, but his stock isn't very high. Picking him up would be huge for depth and the Broncos' future. Nalen isn't gonna play forever, so why wait till' he retires to get a heir-apparent.

Problem is, he's a Center, and Ben Hamilton will assume that positon once Nalen calls it a career.

I am interested in Eslinger's teammate, though, LG Mark Stetterstrom. I need to learn more about him, though.

WABronco
12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Problem is, he's a Center, and Ben Hamilton will assume that positon once Nalen calls it a career.

I am interested in Eslinger's teammate, though, LG Mark Stetterstrom. I need to learn more about him, though.

He doesn't have to, honestly. They could just leave Hamilton at G...

PsychoChicken
12-30-2005, 07:00 PM
He doesn't have to, honestly. They could just leave Hamilton at G...
I'm pretty sure I read that Hamilton would rather play C than G and would be even better there, though it was from a coach (obviously, Hamilton can't talk to the press). I'd rather have a highly experienced player at C than a rookie anyways. After all, the C makes the blocking adjustments.

WABronco
12-30-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that Hamilton would rather play C than G and would be even better there, though it was from a coach (obviously, Hamilton can't talk to the press). I'd rather have a highly experienced player at C than a rookie anyways. After all, the C makes the blocking adjustments.

Huh, ok, didn't know that.

Man, if he can be even better at C, then by all means. DANG!

TXBRONC
12-30-2005, 07:12 PM

We already have the heir apparent in Ben Hamilton. Ben was drafted with this purpose in mind that one day he would replace Nalen.

Btw dyk that Ben played center for Minnesota before we drafted him. In fact, he was considered the best center in his draft class.

OhNoKoolAid
12-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Huh, ok, didn't know that.

Man, if he can be even better at C, then by all means. DANG!

I'm not so sure he can be. Watching Hamilton closely this year, I've been amazed at how well he's played at the size he plays at. He's the only offensive lineman in football whose shoulder pads stick out further than his stomach, yet that doesn't stop him from manhandling his opponent. I read in a SN article that Hamilton's playing weight is closer to 265, which is remarkable. That same article said Hamilton is the best guard in football in both technique and ability. He's so unreal on traps, pulling and "crab" blocking that he may be too valuable a left guard to move. It's difficult for me to invision moving a player away from a position that some consider him to be the league's best at. But, hey, as long as he's a Bronco, I'll live with wherever he plays.

Eslinger could suceed at center in his first year if need be. I'm almost sure of it. After watching him play, his mental aptitude for the game is probably more sophisticated than any lineman in the draft this year.

BroncoRT
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM

I watched the game today and he was solid. The announcers siad that there are many scouts at the game to watch Ferguson and Eslinger and they mentioned the Broncos and the Colts. Denver would have to use a first rounder on him which is pretty high for a center, but he might be worth it.

PsychoChicken
12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
I watched the game today and he was solid. The announcers siad that there are many scouts at the game to watch Ferguson and Eslinger and they mentioned the Broncos and the Colts. Denver would have to use a first rounder on him which is pretty high for a center, but he might be worth it.
End of the first round should be fine for Eslinger. I actually like him a bit more than Chris Spencer and Spencer was picked 26th overall. What I like most about Eslinger is his ability to get to the second level in run blocking every single time. That's really impressive to watch.

Still, at the end of the first round, I'd rather take a higher ranked player at a different position. But between Eslinger and Hagan, per se, I'd rather draft Eslinger.

BroncoRT
12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
End of the first round should be fine for Eslinger. I actually like him a bit more than Chris Spencer and Spencer was picked 26th overall. What I like most about Eslinger is his ability to get to the second level in run blocking every single time. That's really impressive to watch.

Still, at the end of the first round, I'd rather take a higher ranked player at a different position. But between Eslinger and Hagan, per se, I'd rather draft Eslinger.

I have my prefrences on what I want Denver to draft, but if Shanny selects him in the first I wouldn't be disappointed.

Hagan might be a decent WR in the NFL, but Eslinger could be a perennial pro bowler. It is a perfect match with Denver and Eslinger. We have a late first round pick, where he will probably be picked, we need a center to replace Nalen if he leaves and he could start as a rookie which doesn't happen often in Denver. I honestly haven't heard any negative things about this guy. All scouts are loving him.

OhNoKoolAid
12-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I have my prefrences on what I want Denver to draft, but if Shanny selects him in the first I wouldn't be disappointed.

Hagan might be a decent WR in the NFL, but Eslinger could be a perennial pro bowler. It is a perfect match with Denver and Eslinger. We have a late first round pick, where he will probably be picked, we need a center to replace Nalen if he leaves and he could start as a rookie which doesn't happen often in Denver. I honestly haven't heard any negative things about this guy. All scouts are loving him.

Let me propose this to you:

Whould you oppose Denver selecting two Gophers in round one, those being Eslinger and Maroney. Forget more pressing needs at the moment and focus on what each player brings to the team. Would you be disappointed from a talent standpoint if this were to occur?

My answer is no. I still feel that Maroney is a similar back to the current Edgerrin James, albeit his overall size and athleticism may be lower. If he were to play the bulk of his career in Denver, though, he would likely put up numbers comparable to James.

Just a fun topic to debate...

rcsodak
12-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I've heard people comparing Maroney to Maurice.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :ugh:

PsychoChicken
12-30-2005, 10:45 PM
I've heard people comparing Maroney to Maurice.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :ugh:
Where the hell did you hear that? They're practically polar opposites as running backs.

rcsodak
12-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Where the hell did you hear that? They're practically polar opposites as running backs.
Howso?
I've not seen Maroney play, so I can't compare them, myself.
Is he fast? Strong?
Inside runner? Outside runner?
One cut? Juker?
Downhill runner?

'Splain, please.

OhNoKoolAid
12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Howso?
I've not seen Maroney play, so I can't compare them, myself.
Is he fast? Strong?
Inside runner? Outside runner?
One cut? Juker?
Downhill runner?

'Splain, please.

Maroney will likely weigh in at the combine around 5'10-5'11, 210-215 and should run in the range of 4.45-4.5, but it wouldn't suprise me if he was a hair above 4.5, which is average for a running back. On the field though, Maroney's vision and quickness separate him from the average backs. Maroney is a downhill, one cut slasher with great acceleration and the ability to find the cutback line. He has a bit of make-you-miss ability, but really flashes a fine stiff arm and good running balance. His ability to shift gears in the open field and through holes give the impression that he plays faster than his timed speed. Very tough to tackle and appears to be remarkably durable and football saavy. He's been a return guy in college, and he's shown good vision and quickness in that department as well. Basically, Maroney's combine numbers could leave him looking average as far as size and speed go, but he's been a playmaker throughout college, and has the instincts to suceed at the position.

I think attitude is what ultimately held Clarrett back, not talent. I see Maroney having a bright future with his vision, football intelligence and work ethic.

BroncoRT
12-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Let me propose this to you:

Whould you oppose Denver selecting two Gophers in round one, those being Eslinger and Maroney. Forget more pressing needs at the moment and focus on what each player brings to the team. Would you be disappointed from a talent standpoint if this were to occur?

My answer is no. I still feel that Maroney is a similar back to the current Edgerrin James, albeit his overall size and athleticism may be lower. If he were to play the bulk of his career in Denver, though, he would likely put up numbers comparable to James.

Just a fun topic to debate...

It wouldn't be my ideal draft, but with Washington winning every week my ideal draft is going down the toilet. I would be happy with these picks and our offense wouldn't miss a beat, in fact they would be better.

I know it sounds cheesy but drafting Eslinger appears to be Denver's Destiny. All of the chain of events leading up to the draft point towards Eslinger. Eslinger is the #1 center, not just in this draft but the past few drafts. He is the proto typical Olineman for Denver. Shanny traded for the extra first round draft pick this year, where he will probably be taken. Also with Nalen possibly retiring, a mobile, athletic, precise, and nasty center is needed to replace him, who has familiarity with the blocking scheme. He fits the bill. :coffee:

OhNoKoolAid
12-30-2005, 11:37 PM
It wouldn't be my ideal draft, but with Washington winning every week my ideal draft is going down the toilet. I would be happy with these picks and our offense wouldn't miss a beat, in fact they would be better.

I know it sounds cheesy but drafting Eslinger appears to be Denver's Destiny. All of the chain of events leading up to the draft point towards Eslinger. Eslinger is the #1 center, not just in this draft but the past few drafts. He is the proto typical Olineman for Denver. Shanny traded for the extra first round draft pick this year, where he will probably be taken. Also with Nalen possibly retiring, a mobile, athletic, precise, and nasty center is needed to replace him, who has familiarity with the blocking scheme. He fits the bill. :coffee:

It almost appears as if Denver has been handed Eslinger already. Every scout that mentions Eslinger cannot comment on him without using the words "Denver" or "Nalen." I think his size will eventually scare most teams off, he is a small 285. Minnesota was a team I actually was able to see in person, and I was floored by his play downfield and to (sometimes after) the whistle. He is often the first player to greet Maroney in the end zone! I'm not convinced that he is first round material, but expecting him late in round two may also be wishful thinking, but if he only fits a small handful of teams, you never know...

BroncoRT
12-30-2005, 11:45 PM
It almost appears as if Denver has been handed Eslinger already. Every scout that mentions Eslinger cannot comment on him without using the words "Denver" or "Nalen." I think his size will eventually scare most teams off, he is a small 285. Minnesota was a team I actually was able to see in person, and I was floored by his play downfield and to (sometimes after) the whistle. He is often the first player to greet Maroney in the end zone! I'm not convinced that he is first round material, but expecting him late in round two may also be wishful thinking, but if he only fits a small handful of teams, you never know...

I don't think centers are first round worthy, but he will not be around for our second round pick. We have two first rounders and I feel that using one on him makes sense. It would be a gutsy pick and not popular with a lot of fans taking a center in the first round, but when he is sealing off blocks on cut back lanes for future 1,000+ yard Denver RB's and going to pro bowls, Bronco fans won't be complaining.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
12-31-2005, 09:37 AM

I thought Eslinger would go 1st round to the Vikings before the season, but I'm starting to think he's a 2nd round guy now, maybe even 3rd round. There are some really good (and bigger) OCs in this draft that might push him down a round or two, but perhaps not.

I think if we want him in Round 2, we can probably get him. My only problem is that we have so much young talent at the interior of our O-line, that I can't see the need.

The coaches love PJ Alexander and they've spoken highly of Chris Myers as of late. We have Cooper Carlisle who played well this season. Assuming Hamilton moves to OC, we still have three talented young OGs for two positions, and Myers can shift to OC if there is an injury. And that's before we figure out what we're doing with Nalen.

I can't see the team taking an OC or OG remotely high in the draft. An OT maybe, but not the interior of the line.

TheChampion
12-31-2005, 09:54 AM
i agree with MUG's view that with the youth on the interior line, he is not needed.

that said he is a tremendous talent and would be welcomed with open arms if available in the third round. a tremendous reach that he falls that far, but you never know funny things happen on draft day

DURANGO BRONCO
12-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Eslinger would be a perfect fit in Denver. He projects mid to late 2nd rd and would be a valuable pick at that point. However, with the positive things being said about Chris Myers I doubt we draft Eslinger, unless our coaches think we need more depth. Shanny's style has been to pick up this type of player late in the draft.

Maroney will be a first rd pick, and we have more glaring needs to address than running back.

Broncosinindy
01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
i dont think his size will really matter denver has hogs up front they use quick smart smaller guys on there line i think he would do alright playing at 285 specially if koolaide is right saying ben hamilton plays at 265..i dont like him in the first round i think there is more areas that are in need then OC /OG

WABronco
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not so sure he can be. Watching Hamilton closely this year, I've been amazed at how well he's played at the size he plays at. He's the only offensive lineman in football whose shoulder pads stick out further than his stomach, yet that doesn't stop him from manhandling his opponent. I read in a SN article that Hamilton's playing weight is closer to 265, which is remarkable. That same article said Hamilton is the best guard in football in both technique and ability. He's so unreal on traps, pulling and "crab" blocking that he may be too valuable a left guard to move. It's difficult for me to invision moving a player away from a position that some consider him to be the league's best at. But, hey, as long as he's a Bronco, I'll live with wherever he plays.

Eslinger could suceed at center in his first year if need be. I'm almost sure of it. After watching him play, his mental aptitude for the game is probably more sophisticated than any lineman in the draft this year.

That's kinda what I was thinkin-if he's such a good guard, why bother moving him...

265 lbs?!?!? That's amazing!

WABronco
01-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Maroney will likely weigh in at the combine around 5'10-5'11, 210-215 and should run in the range of 4.45-4.5, but it wouldn't suprise me if he was a hair above 4.5, which is average for a running back. On the field though, Maroney's vision and quickness separate him from the average backs. Maroney is a downhill, one cut slasher with great acceleration and the ability to find the cutback line. He has a bit of make-you-miss ability, but really flashes a fine stiff arm and good running balance. His ability to shift gears in the open field and through holes give the impression that he plays faster than his timed speed. Very tough to tackle and appears to be remarkably durable and football saavy. He's been a return guy in college, and he's shown good vision and quickness in that department as well. Basically, Maroney's combine numbers could leave him looking average as far as size and speed go, but he's been a playmaker throughout college, and has the instincts to suceed at the position.

I think attitude is what ultimately held Clarrett back, not talent. I see Maroney having a bright future with his vision, football intelligence and work ethic.

Quite honestly, as much as I'd like a stud DL, if Maroney (or Williams or White) drops to our first pick (or second pick, depending on how the draft falls) I'm gonna flip the ESP switch and pleed to Shanny to take him.

chickennob2
01-02-2006, 01:28 AM
I would hope that the first three picks are DLine, DLine, and OT. in any order. With the possible offseason losses of Pryce, Warren, Brown, Ekuban, and Lepsis, we are in dire need. Jake is an above average QB, AnderBell or DayneBell have been and could continue to be successful. Our Oline is strong except perhaps for the loss of Lepsis. Putz with an emerging Duke are more than servicable at TE. WR is a need, but could be addressed in FA or later rounds. On the Defensive side of the ball, the line needs help. Big help. The Browncos have been an improvement, but as previously mentioned, most of our improved line could be leaving town. We are more than set at LB with possibly the best corps in the leage. Champ in the young guns are great as far as CBs. We could use some help at Saftey, but Ferguson has shown some decent ability this year. Our safties are servicable.

Which leaves me with OT, Dline, and Dline. Come on Shanny, please dont do something stupid like draft a runningback in the first round.