jletourneau
01-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Top 5 picks in 2006 draft will be:

1. Houston Texans
2. New Orleans Saints
3. Tennessee Titans
4. NY Jets
5. Green Bay Packers

the rest is somewhat decided, but will be finished after tonights game.

Let the official mocks begin, soon!

jletourneau
01-01-2006, 06:02 PM
My initial thoughts on the top 5 would be:

1. Houston- Reggie Bush
2. New Orleans- Matt Leinart
3. Tennessee- D'brickishaw Ferguson
4. NY Jets- trade down- no pressing needs that can be filled in this spot IMO
5. Green Bay- Mario Williams

Kapaibro
01-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Houston need O-line players more than they need Reggie Bush. I say they take him and trade for other picks to stack up their O-line.

Broncosinindy
01-01-2006, 06:18 PM
i think like just about everyone else they should trade away from the first pick ... bush is a frigging stud but they need so much help and by trading it helps gain that

jletourneau
01-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Houston need O-line players more than they need Reggie Bush. I say they take him and trade for other picks to stack up their O-line.

Definitely that's what they NEED more, I would agree.

But Houston will have a lot of pressure to take Bush, he's being considered a once in a decade type of prospect.

They'll have to be overwhelmed by a trade offer, probably by the Jets if anyone in order to give up the rights to Reggie Bush. The problem with that is, the Jets pick 4th and that would take the Texans out of range to draft D. Ferguson at OT.

Perhaps they trade down a couple times and really stockpile picks for this year and next to build through the draft, similar to how Jimmy Johnson did with the Cowboys after their 1-15 season. Jimmy made the deal giving up Herschel Walker for a gangbuster deal of picks, and came out on top.

It should be noted that Bob McNair, the Texans' owner, has been consulting with the likes of Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones of late about what to do to get the team over the hump.

Perhaps a great deal for the Texans would be to trade down with the Jets for the 4th overall, 2nd rounder this year, 1st rounder next year and a 3rd rounder, then deal the 4th overall pick to a team who emerges by draft time with 2 first round picks. The Texans could try and come out of this draft with 2 first rounders, 3 second rounders, a couple 3rd rounders, and an extra first round pick next year.

Reggie Bush or D'brick would help, but that kind of lineup of picks could set a team up to be very young and ultra talented, especially in a very deep draft like this years.

mrbrightside111
01-01-2006, 08:04 PM
i see texans trading domanic davis for 2 draft picks and draft bush.

Kapaibro
01-01-2006, 08:07 PM
i see texans trading domanic davis for 2 draft picks and draft bush.
That's not a bad idea! Hmmmmmm? They're going to need some great O-line to protect Carr and give Bush time to get pass the line of scrimmage!

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
My initial thoughts on the top 5 would be:

1. Houston- Reggie Bush
2. New Orleans- Matt Leinart
3. Tennessee- D'brickishaw Ferguson
4. NY Jets- trade down- no pressing needs that can be filled in this spot IMO
5. Green Bay- Mario Williams

The Jets will likely have a HUGE need. John Abraham will be departing, which means Mario Williams will be incoming. They also need a NT to help that run defense, they never recovered when they lost Jason Ferguson to FA last year, which means Ngata.

But Williams, to replace Abraham, would come first. If they franchise Abraham, then Ngata.

Also, Grady Jackson will be leaving the Packers, which means they have to replace him at NT. And he's an elite NT to replace. Which means Ngata.

The Packers are set at DE. They have the best LDE in the NFL in Kampman, who is their top offseason guy to resign, and they have a speed rusher in KGB locked up long term on the other side. It won't be a DE.

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 09:07 PM
The Jets will likely have a HUGE need. John Abraham will be departing, which means Mario Williams will be incoming. They also need a NT to help that run defense, they never recovered when they lost Jason Ferguson to FA last year, which means Ngata.

But Williams, to replace Abraham, would come first. If they franchise Abraham, then Ngata.

Also, Grady Jackson will be leaving the Packers, which means they have to replace him at NT. And he's an elite NT to replace. Which means Ngata.

The Packers are set at DE. They have the best LDE in the NFL in Kampman, who is their top offseason guy to resign, and they have a speed rusher in KGB locked up long term on the other side. It won't be a DE.

The Jets are a real wildcard, since they appear to be in the market for a QB after the Heimerdinger comments in his press conference last week. They may have an interest in Rivers, but I doubt San Diego has an interest in a high first round pick (money) and Phillip probably is no longer worth such a laudy pick. You just can't expect the Jets to make the right decision though, this is a team that traded out for Doug Jolly and then drafted a kicker with their first pick, a position where around 90% of the good ones come from the second day.

Even though they aren't in the top five, I'm tired of seeing "experts" link Mario Williams to the 49ers. Not only is he too big to play rush linebacker, but no sane 3-4 team selects an end that high, since they are just space eaters. Williams is a 4-3 lineman only, and he could play either side. If 3-4 rush 'backer is what they are looking for, Hali's recent rise up the board may give him fit here. Before the smoke clears, I wouldn't be suprised if Manny Lawson became this year's Demarcus Ware, and shoot into the top half of the first round after the combine (he claims a sub 4.5 forty, if it's true, he will vault Hali, his production is comparable, he just doesn't happen to play for a feel good storybook team.) Gore is rather vanilla, so a running back could fit the 49ers, but Plummer is on his way out, and this team will be desparate for a corner. Although I think he will be a solid but not spectacular player in the NFL, Jimmy Williams looks like the best fit.

Kapaibro
01-01-2006, 09:34 PM
The fact that the 49'ers aren't even in there anymore is just plain freaky!

Titans need to ditch McNair. He used to be great, but now? Meh :huh:

jletourneau
01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I understand the possible need with Abraham, but if I'm the Jets I would have an awful hard time spending top 4 money on my defense with my offense in such need. I'd much rather trade down in a deep draft and address it cheaper with still good talent.

The Jets could use a number of things, possibly QB, RB, etc. They need to bring in something on offense, especially with the uncertainty of Pennington. LenDale White or DeAngelo would be a huge upgrade, but who knows what they'll be looking to do concerning Pennington. So far, there have been a lot of mixed signals.

As far as GB, it really depends on Kampman. Mario Williams would be a huge upgrade for them if he signs elsewhere and my thinking is, if he sees Favre perhaps retire and the team in further rebuilding mode that might push him out the door quickly in FA.

The Jets are the one team I could see attempting to put a package together to move up for Bush should the Texans blink in any way, or, they could go total wild cards on us if V. Young came out, but I don't know if that would be a very smart move and is doubtful.

Either way, the Jets are a real wild card and have to be VERY disappointed with their draft position. The best value at 4 is defense, and the Jets are in desperate need of offense. Should be interesting.

redneckrocker
01-02-2006, 12:46 AM
What about San Francisco? What pick are they? :confused:

Perry1977
01-02-2006, 11:09 AM
What about San Francisco? What pick are they? :confused:

They are 6th or 7th. Currently tied with Oakland, they will flip a coin to see who gets the 6th pick.

Jaws
01-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Anyone know which pick the Fins get?

jletourneau
01-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Anyone know which pick the Fins get?

They'll pick 16th. Don't be too hard on them now. ;)

Jaws
01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
They'll pick 16th. Don't be too hard on them now. ;)

Lol :cheers: