PDA

View Full Version : The Winner of the Reggie Bush Bowl is....

Snk16
01-01-2006, 06:47 PM
The HOUSTON TEXANS!!!!!!

Although I think they'll take D'Brickashaw Ferguson, they are the winner of the Bush Bowl and have the best chance to get him. :beer:

TheChampion
01-01-2006, 07:36 PM
everyone in Houston is celebrating except some guy named Jonathan Wells :beer:

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Does the name Sam Bowie ring a bell?

Ferguson may have a nice career, but his legacy would be left as the player taken before the second coming of Gale Sayers, as Bowie was to Michael Jordan.

There comes a time where need is thrown out the window, and you take the guy that could be an all time great at a skill position. Besides, the tackle class is loaded, and the Texans can take whats left of the lot of tremendous left tackles. Somebody will be at the very top of round two, be it Winston, Scott, Justice, Whitworth...

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Does the name Sam Bowie ring a bell?

Ferguson may have a nice career, but his legacy would be left as the player taken before the second coming of Gale Sayers, as Bowie was to Michael Jordan.

There comes a time where need is thrown out the window, and you take the guy that could be an all time great at a skill position. Besides, the tackle class is loaded, and the Texans can take whats left of the lot of tremendous left tackles. Somebody will be at the very top of round two, be it Winston, Scott, Justice, Whitworth...

I have come to agree with this line of thinking as well.

Furthermore, Davis is a type of Reggie Bush RB as well. Meaning, he's not going to be able to hold up an entire season without sharing a large portion of the load, but he can play a variety of positions.

I can envision plenty of possibilities with Davis and Bush on the field at the same time, especially with such a limited WR/TE group. And then, in two years, they could always trade Davis as well.

Ferguson is the bigger on the field need, but Bush is going to energize a franchise in the eyes of its fans, kind of like what Mike Vick did with Atlanta. And like you mentioned, this is a deep OT class, the top pick in the 2nd round can net a solid LT.

jletourneau
01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I have come to agree with this line of thinking as well.

Furthermore, Davis is a type of Reggie Bush RB as well. Meaning, he's not going to be able to hold up an entire season without sharing a large portion of the load, but he can play a variety of positions.

I can envision plenty of possibilities with Davis and Bush on the field at the same time, especially with such a limited WR/TE group. And then, in two years, they could always trade Davis as well.

Ferguson is the bigger on the field need, but Bush is going to energize a franchise in the eyes of its fans, kind of like what Mike Vick did with Atlanta. And like you mentioned, this is a deep OT class, the top pick in the 2nd round can net a solid LT.

I completely agree with you and Ohno, I just don't know how they can pass up on Reggie.

The only "possible" scenario I could envision is if a team goes gangbusters and offers them a Herschel Walker type deal, then the Texans might have to look at it in a deep draft like this. Remember, McNair has been consulting some with Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones, and that was their route.

But in reality, I don't think anyone will give them a Herschel Walker deal, and the Texans are best off taking Bush and not risking missing out on a once in a decade prospect.

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 10:21 PM
I completely agree with you and Ohno, I just don't know how they can pass up on Reggie.

The only "possible" scenario I could envision is if a team goes gangbusters and offers them a Herschel Walker type deal, then the Texans might have to look at it in a deep draft like this. Remember, McNair has been consulting some with Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones, and that was their route.

But in reality, I don't think anyone will give them a Herschel Walker deal, and the Texans are best off taking Bush and not risking missing out on a once in a decade prospect.

Teams have become more guarded with their picks in recent years, but this draft is stocked with some superstar talent that wasn't seen in last year's draft. This draft appears both deep and talented in certain areas, and could rival 2004's in overall talent. What I see becoming a possibly trend is the increasing scarcity of QBs and teams urgency to find players to play the position. You could make a case for half of the league needing Leinart, which also may be the reason Cutler becomes a first round pick, a position I don't think he's suited for. Because of this, the phone may be ringing more for Rivers or the number two pick than it will be to aquire Bush.

jletourneau
01-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Teams have become more guarded with their picks in recent years, but this draft is stocked with some superstar talent that wasn't seen in last year's draft. This draft appears both deep and talented in certain areas, and could rival 2004's in overall talent. What I see becoming a possibly trend is the increasing scarcity of QBs and teams urgency to find players to play the position. You could make a case for half of the league needing Leinart, which also may be the reason Cutler becomes a first round pick, a position I don't think he's suited for. Because of this, the phone may be ringing more for Rivers or the number two pick than it will be to aquire Bush.

I wouldn't at all expect a Walker type deal either, but I would think that it's what it would take for the Texans.

The only team I could really see making concerted effort to move up would be the Jets, but that would leave the Texans out of play for D'brickishaw.

This draft is very deep IMO in most positions, excluding a few like WR.

I agree with you on Cutler, which doesn't mean I don't believe he "could" excel at the next level, but I don't think he's top half of the first round. Vince Young could play into this interestingly, depending on how the Rose Bowl goes for him.

I know he's leaning towards staying in school right now, but with the talent Texas is losing, it's not like he'll be returning to what Leinart returned to for this year. Vince would benefit from a playing and QB maturity standpoint to take another year, but if he is top 5 this year, I think he should go and remover risk as I do not see him beating out Brady Quinn next year anyway.

One thing I believe for sure is that Bob McNair will be very dilligent in his handling of the offseason with the top pick and coach, etc. He's been consulting with some of the best already and he does not strike me as someone who will settle. IMO, Houston WILL come out of this draft a much better team with either Bush or a gluttony of picks to stockpile their team, all depending on how they try and play it.

I'm preparing for a month leading up to the draft with LOTS of smokescreens from a number of teams trying to play chicken with each other on trades, etc. Should be fun. But in the end I expect the Texans to take Bush and find an OT like Scott or Colledge, etc. early round 2.

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't at all expect a Walker type deal either, but I would think that it's what it would take for the Texans.

The only team I could really see making concerted effort to move up would be the Jets, but that would leave the Texans out of play for D'brickishaw.

This draft is very deep IMO in most positions, excluding a few like WR.

I agree with you on Cutler, which doesn't mean I don't believe he "could" excel at the next level, but I don't think he's top half of the first round. Vince Young could play into this interestingly, depending on how the Rose Bowl goes for him.

I know he's leaning towards staying in school right now, but with the talent Texas is losing, it's not like he'll be returning to what Leinart returned to for this year. Vince would benefit from a playing and QB maturity standpoint to take another year, but if he is top 5 this year, I think he should go and remover risk as I do not see him beating out Brady Quinn next year anyway.

One thing I believe for sure is that Bob McNair will be very dilligent in his handling of the offseason with the top pick and coach, etc. He's been consulting with some of the best already and he does not strike me as someone who will settle. IMO, Houston WILL come out of this draft a much better team with either Bush or a gluttony of picks to stockpile their team, all depending on how they try and play it.

I'm preparing for a month leading up to the draft with LOTS of smokescreens from a number of teams trying to play chicken with each other on trades, etc. Should be fun. But in the end I expect the Texans to take Bush and find an OT like Scott or Colledge, etc. early round 2.

Like you, I'm not saying Cutler cannot succeed at the next level, because I think he can be pretty good, similar to Chad Pennington's pre-injury days. My concern is that he's real rugged and doesn't display the physical attributes of a first rounder. First round intangibles and make-up, but middle round physical tools and polish. He would be best served holding a clipboard for a year.

I think Vince Young is a top ten pick right now based on the need at the position. His game isn't built on fundamentals and mental maturity as it is, and he's starting to remind me of a young Donovan McNabb. As long as he doesn't collapse during the Rose Bowl, he won't see his value higher than it is right now. Ultimately I'd pass on Young, but it is just a difference in style than it is ability.

Quinn would not benefit from leaving early. Pocket passers with above average but not elite physical tools will always benefit from an extra year, physical marvels do not. One junior pocket passer I could see leaving early is Brian Brohm of Louisville, but if you watch him, he's quite clearly the exception to the rule.

Washington's success almost cripples are chance of trading both first rounders to get into the top ten, which will rule out any of the big time pass rushers, so my design is all but finished. I'm instead leaning towards best available running back (only if it is White, Maroney or Williams) and best pure pass rusher.

jletourneau
01-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Washington's success almost cripples are chance of trading both first rounders to get into the top ten, which will rule out any of the big time pass rushers, so my design is all but finished. I'm instead leaning towards best available running back (only if it is White, Maroney or Williams) and best pure pass rusher.

100% agree with you here.

This is really where my focus is seeing that I do not believe there is a WR in this draft who is a legitimate playmaker, so I would really like to see one of the big 3 backs after Bush.

As far as pass rushers go, I think a lot will depend on who skyrockets up the boards. Right now I'm hearing Tamba Hali, like you I believe Lawson has the athletics and measurables to make a jump, I'm sure one of the DT's other than Ngata will jump a little and then at late round pass rusher we have more hybrid types than traditional with the group of Adams, Moses, Dumervil, McClover, etc.

The safety's in this draft are deep enough that if Shanny really wants one, he can wait. But I don't really think it is his biggest priority. I'm still worried that Shanahan will look for a wideout in round 1, but there just does not seem to be value there this year.

Lepsis' future will determine a lot, as will Shanny's opinion of Foster and C. Green, P. Alexander, Carlisle, Myers, etc. We have so much versatility on the line that a lot will depend on Lepsis and Nalen. It would be rough on the consistency of production to lose both.

All I know is that I'm sure rooting for Tampa next week to make sure Washinton's pick doesn't keep climbing. But even if it does go around the 25 area we gave up last year, this year's talent at that spot should yield much more for our gain.

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 11:04 PM
100% agree with you here.

This is really where my focus is seeing that I do not believe there is a WR in this draft who is a legitimate playmaker, so I would really like to see one of the big 3 backs after Bush.

As far as pass rushers go, I think a lot will depend on who skyrockets up the boards. Right now I'm hearing Tamba Hali, like you I believe Lawson has the athletics and measurables to make a jump, I'm sure one of the DT's other than Ngata will jump a little and then at late round pass rusher we have more hybrid types than traditional with the group of Adams, Moses, Dumervil, McClover, etc.

The safety's in this draft are deep enough that if Shanny really wants one, he can wait. But I don't really think it is his biggest priority. I'm still worried that Shanahan will look for a wideout in round 1, but there just does not seem to be value there this year.

Lepsis' future will determine a lot, as will Shanny's opinion of Foster and C. Green, P. Alexander, Carlisle, Myers, etc. We have so much versatility on the line that a lot will depend on Lepsis and Nalen. It would be rough on the consistency of production to lose both.

All I know is that I'm sure rooting for Tampa next week to make sure Washinton's pick doesn't keep climbing. But even if it does go around the 25 area we gave up last year, this year's talent at that spot should yield much more for our gain.

I think Washington is too good and Simms is too average for Tampa to win, but they do play great defense and they are at home...

I think we will be in the market for some form of wide receiver, be it through draft or free agency. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Charlie Rogers and then drafting a Demeterius Williams in round two, should he not move up any. There still is no precedent for Shany taking a round one RB, but we WILL be drafting one, so there's always a chance. I also could live with Hagan...

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-01-2006, 11:34 PM
The thing which amazes me about Cutler is that he's going to end up a Top 15 pick, possibly Top 10 if he does well at the Combine and Young does not come out.

This is a guy that was pegged as a 3rd rounder all season until the last month. It's kind of wierd.

OhNoKoolAid
01-01-2006, 11:39 PM
The thing which amazes me about Cutler is that he's going to end up a Top 15 pick, possibly Top 10 if he does well at the Combine and Young does not come out.

This is a guy that was pegged as a 3rd rounder all season until the last month. It's kind of wierd.

It has to be supply and demand. When I started following the draft seriously, never would a QB like this be thought of so high, now in the era of running college QBs and the neo-option/spread attack, the QB position for the pro style offense is no longer being cultivated. I blame college coaches fascinated by the cheap fix more than anything else. Cutler may very well drop before this thing's over, but I instead find it to be a trend more than anything else. The QB position is simply too dilluted at the college level.

chickennob2
01-02-2006, 12:28 AM
texans trade down a spot or two, get their money's worth