PDA

View Full Version : what it REALLY benefit the texans to draft bush?

bronx_2003
01-02-2006, 03:26 PM
let me start bu saying that bush is AMAZING and is easily the best player in college BUT is it any coincidence that davis could not run with them (a good back) and carr struggles (a good qb)?? it all points to there OL.

now, should they draft a OL? maybe ferguson, but i have heard ppl say it is a SAFE pick, just stick him at LT for 10 years and he will be great but ppl were saying the same with gallery and IMO he has struggled.

basically what i'm trying to say is, what will the texans do?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
*I* would trade down a slot or two and just take Ferguson, or if I trade down too far and miss him, then Jimmy Williams.

The best player on their team is Davis, and while he is injury prone, they can get by with Wells as his back up.

However, the media will go bonkers if they pass on Bush without trading the pick. And their fans would likely mutiny.

So, what will happen is this....

They will trade the pick or if on draft day they have not traded it, they will select Bush.

Broncosinindy
01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
look at the production they get from davis with a horrible o line .. he might even be better with a o line.. bush with out a olinewould be good but hes to small to take the pounding game in and out IMO...dont be stupid houston trade the first pick and stack up on your line

Almost Heaven
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
You have to take Bush there, this draft is full of good linemen and there second RD pick is only one pick away from the first RD. Rem. Sam Bowie over a guy named Jordan? NO one wants to make that mistake agian.

WABronco
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
You have to take Bush there, this draft is full of good linemen and there second RD pick is only one pick away from the first RD. Rem. Sam Bowie over a guy named Jordan? NO one wants to make that mistake agian.

I agree...

IMO, the pressure from the media, fans, and upper management will be too much. They will draft Bush.

myoung
01-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I also think that the Texans will need to evaluate the value Bush brings in selling tickets and selling jerseys. He will bring some coin with him as well. I think he would be tough to pass on.

With that being said the Chargers didn't hurt themselves too much by passing on Vick a few years ago and trading down to get Tomlinson. The Texans may be able to do something similar. I would not trade out of the top 4-5 though and this would put them in position to pick up extra picks and get a top tier guy.

SethGrandpa
01-03-2006, 10:21 PM
They'll trade down for more picks and get Furgeson. I think w/the 49ers.

ttejuco
01-03-2006, 10:46 PM
They'll trade down for more picks and get Furgeson. I think w/the 49ers.

49ers pick is too low, Ferguson wont be there at 7. Houston should switch with Tennessee or New Orleans.

Charlie Brown
01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
The team needs to get an offensive line PERIOD. All this talk about them winning the 'Bush Bowl' is idiotic. The team does not need a running back. The team needs protection!

Momentum
01-04-2006, 08:07 AM
No. There are many ways to get OL. There's 1 way to get Reggie Bush. Theyre taking him, just accept it and move on.

Momentum
01-04-2006, 08:10 AM
*I* would trade down a slot or two and just take Ferguson, or if I trade down too far and miss him, then Jimmy Williams.

The best player on their team is Davis, and while he is injury prone, they can get by with Wells as his back up.

However, the media will go bonkers if they pass on Bush without trading the pick. And their fans would likely mutiny.

So, what will happen is this....

They will trade the pick or if on draft day they have not traded it, they will select Bush.

Not going to happen. If you evaluate the draft, you will see that their best option is to work a trade with New Orleans, so they may safely take their guy Leinart #1, and simply take Bush #2. IMO, thats the scenario that will ultimately happen.

The|Snake#16
01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Through the later part of the draft and free agency they can find O-line, but bush is a premiere back, and they need him. Once they get him, see how well he does, and then look to trade Domonic.

If for some reason the Texans don't go for Reggie, I think the Cardinals REALLY need him, and will give a lot to try and pick him up.

Momentum
01-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Why would New Orleans ever agree to that? It just results in both teams getting the same players they would have gotten if they hadn't swapped, and New Orleans giving Houston a free pick or player.

Good offensive tackles are much more difficult to find than good running backs. I expect Houston will do their best to trade the pick and let someone else take Bush.

What?

78 Matt Lepsis, Tackle
Acquired: Rookie Free Agent, 1997

Momentum
01-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Er... are you actually disputing the fact that good tackles are harder to find than good running backs? Because if you are, you've got a whole lot more work to do than just providing one example of a good tackle who was undrafted.

You not getting the point?

Its harder to find a explosive, pass catching weapon like Reggie Bush than there is to find a servicable tackle.

Off the top of my head, I only can think of 4 guys that are those type of weapons, that can recieve the ball multiple ways and change defenses completely.

LT
Dante Hall
Westbrook
Faulk

myoung
01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
You not getting the point?

Its harder to find a explosive, pass catching weapon like Reggie Bush than there is to find a servicable tackle.

Off the top of my head, I only can think of 4 guys that are those type of weapons, that can recieve the ball multiple ways and change defenses completely.

LT
Dante Hall
Westbrook
Faulk

Your list is horrible but your point is solid. Dante Hall is too small to be on the field every play and does not change defenses. He changes special teams plays. But there are other guys that are just as explosive on returns now (Mathis, Sams, as examples)

Faulk is certainly not that type of back any more. If you want to use the past then you should put more names on the list. More realistically you just need more explosive current backs..... I would say that Bell, Barber, Larry Johnson. Those guys are a real threat to take it for long runs or too the house every play.

In my opinion Westbrook is the closest comparison and I think that Bush will take that role to a new level.

imanidb
01-06-2006, 05:40 PM
As a Bronco fan living in Houston, I still have a desire to see my hometown team succeed (they don't pose a threat yet...) I am of the firm opinion that O-lines are built through continuity and familiarity. You could draft an A+ O-lineman every year and the line would be no good if those guys didn't avoid injury and get to play together for substantial time. Point being, the O-line can come around, but we ain't EVER gonna get a chance at another player like Bush. The fact of the matter is that during the Rose Bowl, UT keyed specifically to stop this guy and he still had 170-somethin yards; and no, he won't carry 25 times a game, but any one touch he gets, he can score, or set him team up in great position to score. Additionally, I don't think any of the top tackles are a Jonathan Ogden or Lincoln Kennedy waitin to happen...