PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun

billymischke_33
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
hey guys, with the Washington pick, we could get a good player. i was thinging Calhoun RB, Wisconson, they played Auburn, a tough rush defence and he had 213yrds 1TD, hes obvisly a clutch player, he was even though to be a heisman canadate, but one bad game knocked him outta that. if shannahan gets the shot, will he draft him? i hope he holds out that long

myoung
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Calhoun is too small to be drafted that high. He may spend some time in the NFL but he will not get anything near a first round grade. As it looks right now there are potentially 4 backs that could make it into the first round. I will list them in the order I would rank them. I realize most scouts rate Maroney a little higher than I do.

Bush
DeAngelo Williams
Lendale White
Laurence Maroney

jletourneau
01-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Calhoun is too small to be drafted that high. He may spend some time in the NFL but he will not get anything near a first round grade. As it looks right now there are potentially 4 backs that could make it into the first round. I will list them in the order I would rank them. I realize most scouts rate Maroney a little higher than I do.

Bush
DeAngelo Williams
Lendale White
Laurence Maroney

I'd agree with you here, Calhoun if lucky will crack the second round. He's in a tier of backs with others similar to him like Jerome Harrison, Maurice Drew (I've heard rumblings he WILL declare) etc.

And in my personal opinion I would definitely have Joseph Addai ahead of the aformentioned second tier.

My order as of right now goes something like:

Bush
L. White
DeAngelo Williams
Maroney
Addai
M. Bush (if comes out)
Maurice Drew
DonTrell Moore (not rated this highly, but a personal favorite)
Jerome Harrison
Calhoun

Off the top of my head I'm probably forgetting someone, but that should work for now.

RunYouOver
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd agree with you here, Calhoun if lucky will crack the second round. He's in a tier of backs with others similar to him like Jerome Harrison, Maurice Drew (I've heard rumblings he WILL declare) etc.

And in my personal opinion I would definitely have Joseph Addai ahead of the aformentioned second tier.

My order as of right now goes something like:

Bush
L. White
DeAngelo Williams
Maroney
Addai
M. Bush (if comes out)
Maurice Drew
DonTrell Moore (not rated this highly, but a personal favorite)
Jerome Harrison
Calhoun

Off the top of my head I'm probably forgetting someone, but that should work for now.

I disagree, I think Calhoun could easily be the 5th best RB in the draft, he's dominated nearly every team this year. Have you watched him play at all?

jletourneau
01-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I disagree, I think Calhoun could easily be the 5th best RB in the draft, he's dominated nearly every team this year. Have you watched him play at all?

yes I have, have you seen what most other Wisconsin backs have done in the NFL? Not much, even the one's who have set records like Dayne and Anthony Davis.

Calhoun's size may translate really well to college, but he is very lean to handle too many carries in the NFL for a franchise to invest too high a pick on him.

Calhoun is very talented, but this was also the only year where he played at that high of a level that consistently.

I have nothing against Calhoun because again he has A LOT of talent, but he has done it in a system that produces great college backs and very little for the NFL, not to mention his size DOES leave a lot to be desired for the poundings he will take on Sundays.

If Calhoun is the 5th best back, have you watched the others play like Maurice Drew and Jerome Harrison who are also undersized at the next level and put up better stats than Calhoun?

RunYouOver
01-03-2006, 02:02 PM
yes I have, have you seen what most other Wisconsin backs have done in the NFL? Not much, even the one's who have set records like Dayne and Anthony Davis.

Calhoun's size may translate really well to college, but he is very lean to handle too many carries in the NFL for a franchise to invest too high a pick on him.

Calhoun is very talented, but this was also the only year where he played at that high of a level that consistently.

I have nothing against Calhoun because again he has A LOT of talent, but he has done it in a system that produces great college backs and very little for the NFL, not to mention his size DOES leave a lot to be desired for the poundings he will take on Sundays.

If Calhoun is the 5th best back, have you watched the others play like Maurice Drew and Jerome Harrison who are also undersized at the next level and put up better stats than Calhoun?

Yeah, the Ron Dayne comparison is a good one I guess...I don't know though, Calhoun seems to have a nose for the endzone...

myoung
01-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Calhoun is just too small (see Griffin, Sproles, etc....) he can be a third down back and may develop but it will be from the 3rd or 4th round of the draft not from the first round. If he runs very fast he may break into the second round but that would take a 4.3. Keep in mind Bell ran a 4.3 and Griffin ran a 4.45 at pro days and the combine and look where they went. And there is no way you can believe that Calhoun had a better college career than Griffin.

Broncosinindy
01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah calhoun in a nfl offense i just dont see i see him doing a jj arrington i like him but in the nfl i just dont think he has it

billymischke_33
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
yeah but denver is a great system for small backs, griffin, gary, portis, all good backs while in denver. and some all time greats are small, Emmit Smith is tiny. but i get your points thanks.

DURANGO BRONCO
01-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Calhoun is definietly the one cut slasher that the Broncos like. Would be valuable in the late 2nd or 3rd rd.

armedequation
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
its been covered but he is definitely NOT a top 5 running back. Wisconsin's system is alot like ours. They always have a runner that does this

myoung
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM
yeah but denver is a great system for small backs, griffin, gary, portis, all good backs while in denver. and some all time greats are small, Emmit Smith is tiny. but i get your points thanks.

what are you talking about. Griffin did not work out and those other two backs have 20-25 pounds on Calhoun. Calhoun is closer to Sproles than he is Portis. Emmit Smith still played most of his career listed at 212. calhoun is listed in the Wisconsin program as 194 but most out there feel he is closer to 180. Based on Calhoun's listed weight he is 20 lbs less than Smith and you feel Smith is tiny.

If you want a comparison that would work in your favor try Warrick Dunn. He is the same type of back and has been very successful.

DAYNETRAYNE
01-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Calhoun would be a perfect fit for this team. He would do better than Tatum. Wisconsin has a similar scheme to denver's running game. Look at how Dayne is progressing. Its plain to see that NYG was missusing him to the fullest, and its just a matter of time b4 they plug him in there as the featured back, and he runs wild. Calhoun is clutch,matter of fact Wisc has a couple clutch players in the league. (ie. Chris Chambers, Mike Bennet when healthy, Dayne) So i wouldnt be surprised if Coach drafted this guy, he's a good option..............

myoung
01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Calhoun would be a perfect fit for this team. He would do better than Tatum. Wisconsin has a similar scheme to denver's running game. Look at how Dayne is progressing. Its plain to see that NYG was missusing him to the fullest, and its just a matter of time b4 they plug him in there as the featured back, and he runs wild. Calhoun is clutch,matter of fact Wisc has a couple clutch players in the league. (ie. Chris Chambers, Mike Bennet when healthy, Dayne) So i wouldnt be surprised if Coach drafted this guy, he's a good option..............

Let's just refer to him from this point on as Q2

DAYNETRAYNE
01-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Let's just refer to him from this point on as Q2

why refer to him as that, when he's the same size a Portis

JoRo
01-10-2006, 03:01 PM

You know why those backs were exceptional in Denver?
They were coachable, and they had great vision. Everythin else we can adapt our offense to, but they need those two qualities.

myoung
01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
why refer to him as that, when he's the same size a Portis

The heaviest source I can find lists him at 195. So he is easily listed at 10-15 pounds less than Portis. He is shorter than Portis. Most scouts believe he will weigh in closer to 185 than 195. He should run in the 4.4 range and not the 4.2 range. So how close is he to Portis?

he is alot closer to Q...... That is where the comparison came from.

DAYNETRAYNE
01-11-2006, 07:37 AM
The heaviest source I can find lists him at 195. So he is easily listed at 10-15 pounds less than Portis. He is shorter than Portis. Most scouts believe he will weigh in closer to 185 than 195. He should run in the 4.4 range and not the 4.2 range. So how close is he to Portis?

he is alot closer to Q...... That is where the comparison came from.

he is the same size as portis when he was coming out of college. if not the same, they are similar. :coffee:

Perry1977
01-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Moore! Moore! Moore!!!!!

Momentum
01-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Calhoun would be a straight beast in this system. *passes out thinking of it* :eek:

Full Name: Brian Calhoun
Born: May 8, 1984
Birth Place: Atlanta, GA
Height: 5-10
Weight: 194 lbs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135500

I do notice he gets almost 30 carries a game... but look at his rush avg.... its incredible

myoung
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Calhoun would be a straight beast in this system. *passes out thinking of it* :eek:

Full Name: Brian Calhoun
Born: May 8, 1984
Birth Place: Atlanta, GA
Height: 5-10
Weight: 194 lbs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135500

I do notice he gets almost 30 carries a game... but look at his rush avg.... its incredible

I will be anxious to see what he weighs in at during the combine. I have concerns he is closer to 185. he looks very small.

the reason I say Q is that he is the same size as Q and will have similar college stats (go look up Q's stats and compare them to Calhoun). he will run in the 4.45 range like Q did. That got Q a fourth round draft pick and I think Calhoun will probably go early third. Q also ran the ball alot in college. I don't think he is the best fit for our system and I believe he is closer to Q than he is to Portis. Portis ran a 4.25 out of college and went in the second round because of size concerns. Calhoun is not anywhere near as fast as Portis.

He is a smallish scat back which is good for college and typically doesn't translate to the NFL. But there are examples; Barber and Dunn to name a couple of them.I just don't think Calhoun is there yet and he is certainly not one of the top 4 backs in this draft.

West
01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Calhoun would be a good fit in our zone running scheme. But simply: we don't need him. We have 3 solid backs who can go over 100 yards in a game.

Calhoun is too small? If I'm not mistake D'Angelo Williams is 5'10 202. And he's projected to be a top 15 if not top 10 pick. Calhoun quite possibly could be a first round pick. I could see the Niners picking him in round 2 or quite possibly the Jets if they miss out on Bush.

myoung
01-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Calhoun would be a good fit in our zone running scheme. But simply: we don't need him. We have 3 solid backs who can go over 100 yards in a game.

Calhoun is too small? If I'm not mistake D'Angelo Williams is 5'10 202. And he's projected to be a top 15 if not top 10 pick. Calhoun quite possibly could be a first round pick. I could see the Niners picking him in round 2 or quite possibly the Jets if they miss out on Bush.

Currently most scouts don't have him in the top 5 RBs in the draft. I would be highly surprised to see him going in the first round.

What do you mean if the Jets miss out on Bush? Do you really think he will fall to them or are you so sure your trade scenario is coming true? Give me a break. The Jets will not get Bush. They may jump on another RB but they won't get bush at this point. They have nothing to trade (in terms of current assets) and they can't afford the draft picks it would take to move up. They need draft picks alot more than the Texans do. houston at least has some good young talent. I can't say so much for the jets.

West
01-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Currently most scouts don't have him in the top 5 RBs in the draft. I would be highly surprised to see him going in the first round.

What do you mean if the Jets miss out on Bush? Do you really think he will fall to them or are you so sure your trade scenario is coming true? Give me a break. The Jets will not get Bush. They may jump on another RB but they won't get bush at this point. They have nothing to trade (in terms of current assets) and they can't afford the draft picks it would take to move up. They need draft picks alot more than the Texans do. houston at least has some good young talent. I can't say so much for the jets.
I strongly believe the Jets/Texans trade could/will happen. If they miss out on Bush I think the Jets go for a QB in Jay Cutler or Whitehurst.

jletourneau
01-11-2006, 05:05 PM
I strongly believe the Jets/Texans trade could/will happen. If they miss out on Bush I think the Jets go for a QB in Jay Cutler or Whitehurst.

Are you saying you think if the Jets don't get Bush with their 1st rounder that they'll draft Cutler or Whitehurst #4? Please say no.

The Jets are out in la-la land right now until they get a head coach, because there isn't much direction for the franchise, and they have a lot of questions that will originate with that head coach.

Like whether Chad Pennington is healthy enough, or even if he isn't what you do since you have so much cap money already invested in him.

West
01-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Are you saying you think if the Jets don't get Bush with their 1st rounder that they'll draft Cutler or Whitehurst #4? Please say no.

The Jets are out in la-la land right now until they get a head coach, because there isn't much direction for the franchise, and they have a lot of questions that will originate with that head coach.

Like whether Chad Pennington is healthy enough, or even if he isn't what you do since you have so much cap money already invested in him.
Who's to say the Titans pass on Leinhart/Young, the Titans aren't too short of QBs with 2 very capable QBs in McNair and Volek. Yes McNair is old but Volek is under 30 and has played to a very very good caliber when he has been in. And would start on about 10-15 teams in this league.

jletourneau
01-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Who's to say the Titans pass on Leinhart/Young, the Titans aren't too short of QBs with 2 very capable QBs in McNair and Volek. Yes McNair is old but Volek is under 30 and has played to a very very good caliber when he has been in. And would start on about 10-15 teams in this league.

What do the Titans have to do with what you said and what I responded to.

You said that if the Jets didn't land Bush that you could see them taking either Cutler or Whitehurst.

And I asked if you truly meant the Jets would take Cutler or Whitehurst with pick #4. I didn't say anything about Tennessee, so I don't know where that came from into the conversation.

myoung
01-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Are you crazy. Whitehurst as and early first round pick???? Cutler might go in the 10-15 range but this is a reach for him. With the other players on the board the Jets would be crazy to draft this way.

West
01-12-2006, 05:51 AM
What do the Titans have to do with what you said and what I responded to.

You said that if the Jets didn't land Bush that you could see them taking either Cutler or Whitehurst.

And I asked if you truly meant the Jets would take Cutler or Whitehurst with pick #4. I didn't say anything about Tennessee, so I don't know where that came from into the conversation.
I was having a huge brain mishap about Cutler and Whitehurst. The Titans could very pass on Young/Leinhart and pass them on to the Jets who needs a QB.