PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win this weekend in the AFC?

The Dark Knight
01-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Who's going to win the AFC wild card games and why?

LDB
01-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Pittsburgh takes care of Cincy. I just can't get Cincy's last 3 games out of my head. Man they picked the wrong time of year to hit a slump.

New England takes out Jax. Jax defense has some injuries, they will be playing in cold Foxboro, and NE is playing pretty well right now.

BANJOPICKER1
01-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Its almost a gimmee,,,Pits and the Pats...

The Dark Knight
01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Pittsburgh and New England.

Because of the last 2 games, Cincy will enter the playoffs as a very cold team. Unfortuantely for them, they are facing a Pittsburgh team that is really hot right now. Look for Pittsburgh to be able to run the ball all day on them.

Jacksonville will lose for only one reason. They are a Florida team going into cold weather against the best cold weather team in the league.

:cheers:

BroncFanIN
01-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Cincy and NE. While young, I think they can step up to the challenge. They know how to pick-off Big Ben, and while Pitt has a good run D, Cincy has some good passing weapons. I look to Chad Johnson and TJ to step it up this weekend. I think Deltha O'Neal will be back, which should help them. Paul Brown stadium is sold out (65,000+) and should be LOUD.

NE. Byron Leftwich hasnt played a game in 6 weeks. Thier D is hurt. They are playing in NE, COLD NE.

broncolitis
01-04-2006, 07:51 AM
I chose Pittsburg and New England, but anything can happen it's close.

Calif. Bronco
01-04-2006, 08:16 AM
I just got back from Vegas and I put some $$$ on Cincy and Jax. Both were underdogs so I got some points, but I do think Cincy wins outright. New England should win but I think Jax is a lot better than people give them credit for (they won 12 games for God's sake) and therefore should cover the spread, IMHO.

LDB
01-04-2006, 08:51 AM
I just got back from Vegas and I put some $$$ on Cincy and Jax. Both were underdogs so I got some points, but I do think Cincy wins outright. New England should win but I think Jax is a lot better than people give them credit for (they won 12 games for God's sake) and therefore should cover the spread, IMHO.

I am not sold on Jax. They did beat Seattle, Cincy, and Pittsburgh early in the season...but man talk about a really soft schedule.

VADER72
01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Cinci only because they are home and the crowd will be going nuts and be very loud. NE, well they play home and well, it's NE.

Mile High is going to be a nut house next Sat.

BroncFanIN
01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Cinci only because they are home and the crowd will be going nuts and be very loud. NE, well they play home and well, it's NE.

Mile High is going to be a nut house next Sat.
It will! I so wish I could be there! But no way can I afford tickets (airline or game tickets!) :mad: I will just turn on my surround sound and crank it up! Of course, I also yell at the TV a lot during Bronco games...so in a way, I help a little! :goofy:

VADER72
01-04-2006, 10:21 AM
It will! I so wish I could be there! But no way can I afford tickets (airline or game tickets!) :mad: I will just turn on my surround sound and crank it up! Of course, I also yell at the TV a lot during Bronco games...so in a way, I help a little! :goofy:

LOL, we are bronco fans. We all help. My wife always laughs because she thinks the team can actually hear me through the screen. I use to be able to toss things at the screen when the team messed up before this season. We bought a new HDTV just before the this season and nothing gets close to the screen now. :eek: Luckily the team played good this year.

BroncFanIN
01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
LOL, we are bronco fans. We all help. My wife always laughs because she thinks the team can actually hear me through the screen. I use to be able to toss things at the screen when the team messed up before this season. We bought a new HDTV just before the this season and nothing gets close to the screen now. :eek: Luckily the team played good this year.
:laugh: years ago someone bought my dad a "bad call brick"....a foam brick that bounces off the TV screen harmlessly. I'm sure it got used a lot this year! We ourselves have a "manly" TV set. It's great to watch games on! :D

BroncoAdam
01-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Wow, I was the ONLY one to vote Jacksonville and Cincy. Watch me be right! Those are my picks Im sticking to it! :D

jletourneau
01-04-2006, 03:35 PM
I really expect Cincy to step up and play like they had before.

They've played without toughness at all the last couple weeks, and I feel that they will put all of their defensive energy to stopping the run, that Marvin Lewis will really challenge their pride, and Cincy will force Roethlisberger to beat them. Cincy's offense will get back in gear and get the win.

I picked NE to win with Cincy, but I'm not as sold on that as most are. I don't thin Jacksonville is getting enough respect, and for Tom Brady to cry that they aren't is ludicrous since everyone in the world is picking them to AT LEAST get to the AFC championship, and many to beat the Colts and go to the Super Bowl.

So I picked NE just because they are tough at home and weather could be the wild card in this, but I believe that Jacksonville IS just the kind of team that can go in there and win. They have a tough head coach, a rock solid run defense, a good running game with depth 3 deep, playmaking WR's and good leadership at QB with Leftwhich coming back.

But IF JAX is going to have a shot to beat NE, they will have to have success that day in stretching the field deep to test the still somewhat inexperienced NE secondary. JAX has a very tall, physical group of WR's that goes 4 deep (Smith, Wlliams, Jones, Wilford) who have all proven of late they are capable of stepping up, if not being consistent. NE's DB's are rather short overall and without Rodney Harrison still this year the Jaguars' receivers could be their do or die point of attack. But they must give Leftwhich enough time to throw downfield, and THAT is what my biggest question mark of them is.

Cincy over Pitt
and I'll go out on a limb with JAX over NE after all.

BroncoAdam
01-04-2006, 03:39 PM
But IF JAX is going to have a shot to beat NE, they will have to have success that day in stretching the field deep to test the still somewhat inexperienced NE secondary. JAX has a very tall, physical group of WR's that goes 4 deep (Smith, Wlliams, Jones, Wilford) who have all proven of late they are capable of stepping up, if not being consistent. NE's DB's are rather short overall and without Rodney Harrison still this year the Jaguars' receivers could be their do or die point of attack. But they must give Leftwhich enough time to throw downfield, and THAT is what my biggest question mark of them is.

Cincy over Pitt
and I'll go out on a limb with JAX over NE after all.

Agreed. I think NE is having a poor season, if they don't lose here they'll lose the following week to Indy or to us. They've have such a shaky on/off season. They got on a roll towards the end of the season by: beating the Jets twice, Dolphins, and Bills.... all teams that aren't in the playoffs. I think Jax is a better team, sure the Patriots are a good postseason team, but it's an entirley different team this season. They'll lose.

_BrusT_
01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I think Steelers vs Bengals is hard to predict, but I just have no confidence in the Bengals. Steelers are playing very solid football, I would really like to see them playing the Colts, because I think that would be pretty tough for the Colts, as tough as it would be for us to face N.E in the Playoffs. Not sure about Jax, but I just can't imagine the Pats lose at home, they are still the team to beat and that is what we wanna do.

TXBRONC
01-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Just for the halibut I'm going with Jacksonville to upset the Patriots and I think Cinci beats the Steelers at home.

Vulcan
01-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Cincy and NE. The home teams win.

Archimedes Owl
01-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I chose Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

Now, admittedly, either of these games could go either way, but Jacksonville isn't getting the respect that they deserve and New England is getting way more than they deserve.

The Patriots have one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Even the Jags should be able to get a few big plays against them. Actually, the Pats aren't horrible at pass defense all around. They are actually fourth in the completion percentage yielded, but they are 30th in yards allowed per attempt. The combination of these two statistics suggests that they are easy to beat deep and that they give up the deep ball all day. This is because their secondary is just pathetic.

Now, the Jags actually blew out the Seahawks, beat the Steelers and Bengals and lost two of their three games to teams with at least 13 wins and yet they are looked upon as a weak team. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'll grant that they played some of the less quality teams on their schedule kind of close, but that's what defensive football teams do. Good defenses play teams close. A blow out by Cincy might look like 49-28, while an equally well dominated game by the Jags would be 16-7. Besides that, I can think back to quite a few games where the Colts played bad teams close (The Browns anyone) and we're not reading tons into that.

Anyway, I expect the Jags to win in New England. I give New England a chance, but I just can't favor them, even with Tom Brady.

As for the Cincy game, Cincy just looks pathetic on defense. They have a couple of decent corners (decent, not great), but their defense is pretty weak overall. I mean, god damn, they gave up 29 points to the Ravens. That's just not right.

Of course, the flip side is that their offense is damn good, but I expect for a defense like the Steelers to slow them down a bit and to force a couple of turnovers and I expect them to not slow down Pittsburgh's offense at all.

Even in the game that Cincy won at Pittsburgh, they let Pittsburgh's offense have a good day. I'd expect that to continue, but I would also expect for Pittsburgh's defense to contain them just a bit. It wouldn't surprise me to see them lose 35-27 or something. That seems realistic.

TonyGFortheTD
01-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I think the home teams will win this weekend for both the AFC and the NFC.

GridironChamp
01-05-2006, 05:39 PM
NE wins because, they know how to play in the playoffs. they have to much heart not to win.

Cincy will be playing very hard because bppl say they are overrated because they werent trying the past 3 games, and some ppl think they were. They weren't trying their hardest, but the way ppl talk about them, they will be out to prove stuff.

sportsgeist
01-06-2006, 01:01 AM
I voted Pittsburgh and New England

1. Pittsburgh will run all over Cincy's poor run defense and keep Cincy's offense off the field.

2. Peyton Manning isn't Jacksonville's QB.

Southstander
01-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Pat and Pitts

rogue719
01-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I want the Broncos to have home field advantage through the playoffs, to have a better chance of getting to the big dance. With that in mind, which team has the greatest chance of knocking off Indy in the RCA Dome before we would have to go there?

In my mind, there is no doubt: the Patriots.

I'm fully expecting them to win, but in order to keep them from coming to Denver, we need the Bengals to win their game so they come here. That would force the showdown between the Patriots and the Colts in Indianapolis.

I just don't see any way that Pittsburgh is going to knock off the Colts at home. Likewise, there isn't any way that the Jaguars would be able to do it, so it's got to be the Pats or us. I like our chances much better for any game we play at home.

(Yes, I do expect the Steelers to beat the Bengals in Cincy this weekend, but I will be cheering the Bengals and hoping that Delthea O'Neal and Tory James pick a half a dozen of Big Ben's passes and miraculously manage to stop the Steeler running attack.)

BoWdY
01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I want the Broncos to have home field advantage through the playoffs, to have a better chance of getting to the big dance. With that in mind, which team has the greatest chance of knocking off Indy in the RCA Dome before we would have to go there?

In my mind, there is no doubt: the Patriots.

I'm fully expecting them to win, but in order to keep them from coming to Denver, we need the Bengals to win their game so they come here. That would force the showdown between the Patriots and the Colts in Indianapolis.

I just don't see any way that Pittsburgh is going to knock off the Colts at home. Likewise, there isn't any way that the Jaguars would be able to do it, so it's got to be the Pats or us. I like our chances much better for any game we play at home.

(Yes, I do expect the Steelers to beat the Bengals in Cincy this weekend, but I will be cheering the Bengals and hoping that Delthea O'Neal and Tory James pick a half a dozen of Big Ben's passes and miraculously manage to stop the Steeler running attack.)]

Hold on there you say that there is no way that Jacksonville can knock them off, both times they played them this year they played tough and had a chance going into the fourth quarter.

I believe that it will be New England and Pittsburgh going on, which is good for us because we have already played and beat the Pats at home or did yall forget that. Pittsburgh can beat the colts dont get me wrong alot of things have to fall into place for that to happen but they can. I dont think that home field advantage is as important to us as it is to the other teams that are playing especially Indy....

But there is a reason that they play the games because until they play it out there is no way to determine what is going to happen on paper.....

SkyFlash1
01-06-2006, 12:34 PM
About a month and a half ago I predicted the AFC seeds as they are now. I also predicted Cincy and NE would win so I'm sticking with that. Of course, the remaining games are NE over Indy, Denver over Cinci, Denver over NE, and Denver over whatever slug team they dredge up from the NFC. :D

rogue719
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
]

Hold on there you say that there is no way that Jacksonville can knock them off, both times they played them this year they played tough and had a chance going into the fourth quarter.

And both times failed because they lacked the offense, and let's be really truthful: Indy's defense isn't that tough. it's just tough enough and they didn't really stop any good offenses all year, just outscored them.

I believe that it will be New England and Pittsburgh going on, which is good for us because we have already played and beat the Pats at home or did yall forget that.

We beat a crippled New England at home that was missing over half their regular season starters or did yall forget that?

Pittsburgh can beat the colts dont get me wrong alot of things have to fall into place for that to happen but they can.

Too many things have to fall into place for that, including Pittsburgh getting more pressure on the QB than they did last time, Big Ben playing up to his capability and the Pittsburch secondary playing above and beyond anything they have shown so far this season. It's a long, long shot that Pittsburgh would beat them. They are good, but it's more likely that NE beats them in the RCA dome.

I dont think that home field advantage is as important to us as it is to the other teams that are playing especially Indy....

We are undefeated at home and 5-3 on the road. Playing at home is a HUGE advantage for us and gives us a greater likelihood of getting to the Super Bowl. The Colts are 7-1 at home and 7-1 on the road. Yes, we can beat them in the Dome, but our chances of beating them are greater in Denver and our chances of beating anyone and everyone are much greater in Denver. Do we NEED to be at home to win? No. But it's a big advantage playing there, and our fans deserve it.

But there is a reason that they play the games because until they play it out there is no way to determine what is going to happen on paper.....

Nope, but the greater the odds against something means that it's not as likely to happen as in other scenarios. That's my point.

Archimedes Owl
01-06-2006, 06:33 PM
And both times failed because they lacked the offense, and let's be really truthful: Indy's defense isn't that tough. it's just tough enough and they didn't really stop any good offenses all year, just outscored them.
I didn't watch the first Jacksonville, Indy game, but I watched the second and Indy didn't beat Jacksonville. Jacksonville beat Jacksonville. They gave them points by committing personal fouls and doing other moronic things.

Honestly, I give Jacksonville a 45% chance to win. Ok, that's pretty arbitrary, but they've got a good shot. They've got as good a shot as anybody (Except us of course).

I wouldn't be surprised if this team that beat Seattle, Pittsburgh and Cincy was able to knock off New England and Indy. After all, by beating both Cincy and Seattle, they beat two very good offensive football teams. They have the defense to slow even the best offenses and they can exploit the weak defenses of the excellent offensive football teams.

jam1369
01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Cincy's goin south, Pitt is playing good ball, Pats are peaking at the right time, and JAX is just happy to be at the party.

My pick is Pitt and the Pats. :coffee:

PatrickdaDookie
01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Jacksonville will lose for only one reason. They are a Florida team going into cold weather against the best cold weather team in the league.

Don't forget, Jacksonville has a history of playing well in cold weather. I'm picking Jacksonville (who will do to NE what the Saints did to the Rams in 2000) and Cincinatti, who should be fired up at home versus their rivals.

BroncoBailey024
01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Pitt, they will be able to run all over the Bengals run d, and they have been on a roll. ;)

New England will put a beat down on the Jags, I don't think the Jags should be in. :coffee:

Shrugging Galt
01-07-2006, 12:55 AM
I kind of have a feeling about Jags upsetting the pats. I think Cinci beats Pitt and we have a rematch of last years Monday night debacle.

This time Champ gets the best of Chad Johnson and we run all over them on offense. I think they come into Invesco spent from the week before.

BigBen#7
01-07-2006, 10:23 AM
I pick the steelers and the jaguars. I think Jacksonville will pull one off. I dont think the Cincy could stop the Bus and Parker.