PDA

View Full Version : Matt Linhart.."Where still the better team."???

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 10:49 PM
After the game a reporter interviewed Matt Linhart(SP)

He said with his nose high in the air, "yeh, whatever.....I still think we are the better football team, they just made the plays in the end."

No class on his part there, He's a hell of a player but he needs to show some respect to a QB and team that just ended his teams streak.

What ya'll think.

broncofan303
01-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, what a punk, earlier in the game when they blitzed and got that late hit call, he was just begging for them to bring it..taunting them and all that garbage... The better team won!

broncosfan247
01-04-2006, 10:52 PM
ya, the whole USC squad are very cocky. Thats why I had to pull for the Longhorns. Sure they have reason to be cocky, but show alittle sportsmanship. Especially since 1 guy, alone, pretty much schooled your entire defense. After tonights game, I think Young is gonna have a better NFL career than Bush or Leinart.

elwaysbrother
01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
um, he's right. They are a better team. Vince young running the ball is basically the longhorns offence. USC has a much better complete team. Honestly i wasn't that impressed with Texas. They fumble alot, they basically have no running game except for a quaterback who just runs the ball half the game. And i didn't really see anything great from their WR's. USC has a weaker defense. But not by much really. they were pretty good. So yeah, Matt is right and he will make a much better NFL QB.

broncofan303
01-04-2006, 10:54 PM
ya, the whole USC squad are very cocky. Thats why I had to pull for the Longhorns. Sure they have reason to be cocky, but show alittle sportsmanship. Especially since 1 guy, alone, pretty much schooled your entire defense. After tonights game, I think Young is gonna have a better NFL career than Bush or Leinart.

I think another guy that is going to have a better NFL career than all 3 of those guys...LenDale White, geez that guy really can play..

ImaBroncosFan
01-04-2006, 10:55 PM
LOL, thats hilarious. So basically what he said was that they were still better, they just got out scored :laugh: What a nit-wit :goofy:

broncofan303
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
LOL, thats hilarious. So basically what he said was that they were still better, they just got out scored :laugh: What a nit-wit :goofy:

A Spoiled Child that is :) ...

broncosfan247
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Honestly i wasn't that impressed with Texas. They fumble alot, they basically have no running game except for a quaterback who just runs the ball half the game.

If there was anyone out there tonight that was unimpressive, it was Reggie Bush.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
he will make a much better NFL QB

Possibly.......everyone doubted Vince from day one......what does he do?.......best passer rating in college football, thats what he does.

MAtt will be a great QB no doubt, problem is......you can't compare Vince Young with Vick....

Young will continue what he does in the NFL. THe boy can throw the football. I'm pulling for him 100% I love the underdog and for him to show the doubters once again.....the man is the best QB in football.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 10:59 PM
A Spoiled Child that is .

You got that right!!!!!! go Big 12 and the midwest BOYZ!!!!!

elwaysbrother
01-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Reggie bush was quadruple covered the whole game. Everytime he got the ball there was 4 or 5 guys around him. So they used him as a decoy on the far side, which in turn left thing more open for lindel white and the other recievers. He still ended up with about 180 yards even after all that. Except for that one mistake he made with the lateral i thought he played well considering their entire defense was focusing on him.

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Reggie bush was quadruple covered the whole game.

When you play Texas........who should you prepare for?

USC did not have the answer. Should have quad coverd Vince huh? O wait.....they tried to tackle his ass. Hard to Tackle a quick, fast, 6'5 233 pound frame........sounds like an NFL frame to me.

Wanobe
01-04-2006, 11:16 PM
its classless for him to say that but when young asks whos the hiesmen winner should be now thats ok? give me a break they are both young players...after a big loss (which they had won) wouldnt you be pissed off as well? i know i would be last thing i would wanna do is talk to reporters

Wanobe
01-04-2006, 11:18 PM
If there was anyone out there tonight that was unimpressive, it was Reggie Bush.

how?

im not sure on the exact stats but he had something like 100 rushing yards and 100 reciving and one TD

the only thing that kept texas in the game was young usc just couldnt stop him he is the team

DrunkPanda
01-04-2006, 11:21 PM
A Spoiled Child that is :) ...
he's like the college version of tom brady

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
he's like the college version of tom brady

Not quite.....what round was Brady drafted in again? No where nere the hype and attention Matt gets.

Matt will be damn good no doubt........just needs to learn one thing

R.....E.......S......P.........E.......C....T

Brady had something to prove.......Matt needs to live up to his hype.

DrunkPanda
01-04-2006, 11:27 PM
you completely missed the comparison. i meant they are spoiled by constantly winning and they are poor sportsmen

Bronco_f1
01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I think Leinart felt angry at himself and that is why he said that. I believe USC was the better team, but they made way too many mistakes and got big calls against them.

Texas played a great game, Young was the difference, but if USC wouldn't have made so many mistakes, they would have won it

IrishConrad
01-04-2006, 11:33 PM
you completely missed the comparison. i meant they are spoiled by constantly winning and they are poor sportsmen

My bad i guess.... I guess i haven't seen to much of Brady's little ***** side.

BroncoAdam
01-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Leinhart was a joke tonight.

Speaking of which, Leinhart proved to me tonight that he is NOT a better quarterback than Young. Why? He plays like an old man unable to move about in the pocket. How many times did he simply not run away from pressure but rather just stand there as an easy target tonight? On the last play of the game the idiot ran around the pocket and everywhere looking for an open receiver, wasting all time remaining on the clock and any shot at a possible game tying FG. Vince Young? He ran DOWNFIELD for First Downs, finding open receivers if he could, and if he couldn't he made the play with his legs. He is a straight drop back passer who is too dependent on his offensive line. I think a scrambling; accurate QB like Vince Young is the way of the future. Young proved one thing; he can WIN the game with his RUNNING ability.

rcsodak
01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
I think Leinart felt angry at himself and that is why he said that. I believe USC was the better team, but they made way too many mistakes and got big calls against them.

Texas played a great game, Young was the difference, but if USC wouldn't have made so many mistakes, they would have won it
I think that can prolly be said be almost any team, in any sport, can it not? :confused:

As far as Texass being a one-man team.....

....fans should look no further than their own front porch.

John Elway ring any bells?
He didn't exactly have a plethora of talent surrounding him, in his earlier years.

Jared
01-05-2006, 07:46 AM

He said with his nose high in the air, "yeh, whatever.....I still think we are the better football team, they just made the plays in the end."

No class on his part there, He's a hell of a player but he needs to show some respect to a QB and team that just ended his teams streak.

What ya'll think.

Well, I would be surprised ifhe didn;t say that.

But, Texas was the better overall team. Although USC's offense made that proud defense give up points, the Longhorns defense, UNLIKE USC's, was able to make key stops when it had to.

Plus, USC's special teams were atrocious all year, so I would say Texas is a better 'team', even before the game.

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, what a punk, earlier in the game when they blitzed and got that late hit call, he was just begging for them to bring it..taunting them and all that garbage... The better team won!
If Leinart does that stuff he's a punk?...I've seen Favre do pretty much the same thing, yet he's a warrior.

Calif. Bronco
01-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Well...as a USC fan/alum, I have to say I humbly disagree with Matt. I was at the game and cleary Texas was the better team last night - they made a lot more plays, a lot less mistakes, had a slightly better defense, and had the best player on the field.

That being said, Matt Leinert made that comment right after he lost the biggest game of his college career. I think emotion may have gotten the better of him. Matt is not, as others on here have suggested, a "crybaby" and he is not "classless" - he has always shown great respect and been a good guy. For evidence of this, did you see who the guy in the #11 USC jersey making his way through the throngs of Longhorns to seek out Vince Young and congratulate him after the game? I watched him from the moment the game ended and he practically had to fight his way through several Longhorn faithful to get to Vince. To me that shows class, not everything else others on here are saying.

Sevenis7
01-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Leinert was right. The game was lost by USC more than it was won by Texas. Things to consider: 1) USC left the ball within the Texas 20 three times in the first half (4 and 1, when leinert slipped on QB sneak; Bush's lateral; INT in endzone). Those could have easily been points on the board and put the game away early. 2) Jarrett overthrowing Smith on screen option in 1st quarter = should have been TD; Smith was 3 steps behind defender. 3) Why no review of Texas's first TD? Replay showed Young was down before he (forward) lateralled. 4) "Incomplete" that USC recovered in 3rd already up 12 points. Repklay clearly showed ball was possessed, yet refs gave it Texas. 5) Dumb call on USC's part on 4th and 2 in the waning minutes of the game. Try to get Texas to jump off-side. If not, punt the ball, pinning Texas on their own 20 w/3 minutes to go.

BVP
01-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Actually, Leinart and Bush went over to the Texas locker room and congradulated the Texas team, so he did give Texas respect.

mrsolo
01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Leinert was right. The game was lost by USC more than it was won by Texas. Things to consider: 1) USC left the ball within the Texas 20 three times in the first half (4 and 1, when leinert slipped on QB sneak; Bush's lateral; INT in endzone). Those could have easily been points on the board and put the game away early. 2) Jarrett overthrowing Smith on screen option in 1st quarter = should have been TD; Smith was 3 steps behind defender. 3) Why no review of Texas's first TD? Replay showed Young was down before he (forward) lateralled. 4) "Incomplete" that USC recovered in 3rd already up 12 points. Repklay clearly showed ball was possessed, yet refs gave it Texas. 5) Dumb call on USC's part on 4th and 2 in the waning minutes of the game. Try to get Texas to jump off-side. If not, punt the ball, pinning Texas on their own 20 w/3 minutes to go.

I guess you could say that USC lost more because they looked foolish trying to tackle Vince Young, but I'd rather give Vince the credit for that. Texas beat them....PERIOD! No excuses...Texas made the plays they needed to make to win. :coffee:

Kapaibro
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Um, USC is a better team, but they didn't play that way. They have a better reord than Texas, and they let themselves down. I don't think we should slate someone for being disappointed with himself and his team for letting themselves down.

Think about it.

He's on a better team, with a better record, and they let the game slip away at the end. No wonder he's pissed!

West
01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Leinhart is a classless punk. I was glad to see that his facemask was about to fall off after the first quarter!

uhhyeahagain
01-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Yeah, like the Denver Broncos and the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1996...oops.

How hard is this concept to grasp? The better team does not always win.

uhhyeahagain
01-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Let's not play that game. There were mistakes made by both teams (muffed punt after a USC 3-and-out, anyone?), and both the endzone INT and the 4th and 1 stop involved great defensive plays by Texas.

Yes, that play should have been reviewed. Nonetheless, USC got a call that more than made up for it when Leinart's interception on the last drive of the half was ruled incomplete.

The receiver did not make a football move. Incomplete was the right call.

You can second-guess that decision all you want, but most aren't going to agree with you. Texas hadn't stopped LenDale White all night, and the odds of converting a 4th and 2 are very good anyway. They had their shot at ending the game, and they took it.

I'll agree with you that this what-if game is pointless. From my perspective though, it seemed USC's mistakes could be considered "unforced errors" while the bulk of Texas' errors were a result of plays made by USC or "forced errors." Add in horrendous officiating and you've got enough what-ifs to last you a lifetime.

As for that 4th-2 call, I liked the decision but not the play call. Pitch it to the Heisman winner and tell him to get two yards. It was that simple.

GridironChamp
01-05-2006, 07:45 PM

What ya'll think.

If they play 10 more times the final record between them would be, USC-7 Texas - 3.

Vince Young can only run for so much 1 time befoere you figure out what to do, USC is still the better team, just Texas made bigger plays, mainly Young did. If you give Carrol 1 day to prepair for a rematch, i see a blow out by USC, cause they know the 1 thing Texas can do, use Vince Young.

tpryce93
01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
well they might be the better team but during the rose bowl they werent. :coffee:

broncofan303
01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
If they play 10 more times the final record between them would be, USC-7 Texas - 3.

Vince Young can only run for so much 1 time befoere you figure out what to do, USC is still the better team, just Texas made bigger plays, mainly Young did. If you give Carrol 1 day to prepair for a rematch, i see a blow out by USC, cause they know the 1 thing Texas can do, use Vince Young.

I'm sure the D knew what was coming every down, but the problem is SC's D is horrible and has been all year...it wasn't a surprise to me that Young dismantled them single handedly, because they simply couldn't stop them...

Both D's were bad IMO, but what made the Vince-sanity impressive was that he (unlike Leinart) had White, Bush, Jarrett, Smith..he had guys that were actually bringing him down by fumbling, dropped passes, etc...

GridironChamp
01-05-2006, 09:28 PM
You all are a lil off. Mostly right but USC's defense strategy was to stop Young, but they were tackling him at the knees, by dropping on the ground and just trying to wrap him up. They need to just flat out hit him. They werent just hitting him they were tackling him how you tackle like a micheal Vick. He is bigger and stronger than Vick, you have to hit him like he is a RB.

So if Carrol had 1 day before a rematch he would teach his Defense how to really tackle him. Like he said after the game, he didnt teach his D how to play Vince Young right, if they played again, Vince wouldnt break every tackle.

Calif. Bronco
01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Leinhart is a classless punk. I was glad to see that his facemask was about to fall off after the first quarter!

Care to explain? What exactly has he done to make you think he is "classless" or a "punk?"

armedequation
01-06-2006, 02:15 AM
the only thing that matters is who wins....which tells you who was the better team on the day that it mattered

Sevenis7
01-06-2006, 11:01 AM
both the endzone INT and the 4th and 1 stop involved great defensive plays by Texas.

Endzone INT was poorly thrown ball (USC mistake) AND a great catch by Texas CB. 4th and 1 stop can't be attributed to "great" Texas defense unless they had something to do w/Leinert's footing. Did they shorten his cleats or water the grass during the huddle?

Point I'm trying to make is that USC had more chances to score than Texas did. Yes, Texas should have had 4 more points (Botched extra point + missed FG); however, USC could have had 21 more points (3 possessions lost w/in Texas's 20 yard line).

The receiver did not make a football move. Incomplete was the right call.

Let me get this right...if I CATCH the ball (ie, hold on to it for about 1 second), but don't move, it's not a catch?

You can second-guess that decision all you want, but most aren't going to agree with you. Texas hadn't stopped LenDale White all night, and the odds of converting a 4th and 2 are very good anyway. They had their shot at ending the game, and they took it.

I would agree w/the call if it was 4th and 1, but 2 yards is a bit risky especially when you consider USC had gone for it on 4th and 1 earlier in the game and came up short. Correct call should have been to line up like they're going to go for it, and try to draw Texas offside. If they didn't jump offside, 1) time runs off clock and 2) you set up punt to pin Texas w/in their own 20. What happened instead? USC gave Texas the ball around mid-field. Those extra 30-40 yards could have used up the 19 seconds that were left on the clock when Texas scored.

RoorRipper
01-06-2006, 01:16 PM
The decision to go for it on 4th and 2 was not only dumb, it was atrociously pathetic.

Carroll... You were stopped twice earlier in the game, LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE! Punt the ball and try and down it behind the 10 yard line. Texas wouldn't have made it in time, they scored with 19 seconds left and they started on their own 40 yard line.

To deny that USC BEAT THEMSELVES is flat out wrong. Vince Young deserves all the credit in the world, but USC had a pathetic showing in the first half. Texas should send Carroll a thank you card.

Calif. Bronco
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
The decision to go for it on 4th and 2 was not only dumb, it was atrociously pathetic.

Totally disagree with you on that one - prior to the play, I turned to my friend and said they need to go for it. The strength of this year's USC team was their offense, and they needed to make a yard and a half to win the National Title. Their suspect defense was tired and couldn't stop Vince Young. Furthermore, Tom Malone hasn't pinned the ball inside the 10 more than twice all season. If they had punted, Texas would have gotten it at the 20, marched down the field and scored, then you and all the other second guessers would have been saying, "Why didn't they put the game away when they had the chance. With all their weapons, they could have went a yard and a half." :duh:

RoorRipper
01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Actually, from watching the game, you could see they were already 0/2 on 4th downs. They were constantly getting stuffed and getting penetration throughout the game. I called it that they wouldn't get it. I was yelling at Carroll to punt the ball. After they missed the conversion, I said "watch, Texas will march down and score and USC won't have any time left"... It came true.

It was too much of a risk to give up that field position.

mrsolo
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
You all are a lil off. Mostly right but USC's defense strategy was to stop Young, but they were tackling him at the knees, by dropping on the ground and just trying to wrap him up. They need to just flat out hit him. They werent just hitting him they were tackling him how you tackle like a micheal Vick. He is bigger and stronger than Vick, you have to hit him like he is a RB.

So if Carrol had 1 day before a rematch he would teach his Defense how to really tackle him. Like he said after the game, he didnt teach his D how to play Vince Young right, if they played again, Vince wouldnt break every tackle.

This is really a weak argument. You're not giving Pete Carroll ANY credit as a coach if you think this is the first time they saw how strong Vince Young is. For TWO YEARS now Vince has been running like this. If it was a surprise to the USC coaches, then they have NO BUSINESS being coaches. :duh:

Bellthebest
01-07-2006, 10:58 AM
i know i came into this convo a little late.... but im just gunna reply to the thread name.

I cant believe how much of a baby matt was about it. How could he say that they are still the better team. That is why they plyed that game, to determine who was better... and it ended up being texas..

Go Gators!!!!

Peerless
01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Yea, I watched it. I thought... what a little punk a$$! He can't say who the better team was, the better Qb, the Champs. What a joke.