PDA

View Full Version : Will Vince Young enter the draft?

Mount-n-Groan
01-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Just wondering what you guys think. I thought about asking "Should VY enter the draft?", but I think most people think that he should - especially now. The question is: Will he?

Emancipator
01-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, he demonstrated he can pass (he has a stong arm) and he can run. He's a winner. The question will be can he make someone's team better? I think he could. Take Vince Young as the 1st QB in the draft.

BroncosJETD
01-05-2006, 09:24 AM
after the game he said he would say for another year

y2cragie
01-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I'd imagine he want's to win the Hiesman first.

Mount-n-Groan
01-05-2006, 09:39 AM
after the game he said he would say for another year

He also said that he'd talk things over with his family and make a decision that was "best for everybody". That's a strange thing to say especially given his numerous comments in the weeks leading up to the game that he would definitely be back for his senior year.

When you're hot, you're hot, and the opportunity may not be as bright come this time next year. I think he's starting to see that now, but Mack and his family might convince him to stay, no doubt.

Mount-n-Groan
01-05-2006, 09:45 AM
It's difficult. If he comes out next year, he's still not assured of being the first quarterback taken because of Brady Quinn.

That's right. According to one "source", one of the reasons he wasn't going to come out this year was that he didn't think he'd be a top 5 pick. Well, there goes that. If he comes out this year he will definitely be in the top 5 and maybe even the first pick overall (imagine that - Kubes getting his first gig with VY as his QB).

There are no guarantees in any of this. Who knows what's going to happen next year. He most likely won't repeat THAT performance, but he may win the Heisman and have a bright NFL future regardless. Will he top Brady Quinn in the draft in 2007? I don't know...

He has a HUGE decision to make.

Jared
01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
It's difficult. If he comes out next year, he's still not assured of being the first quarterback taken because of Brady Quinn.
???

I like Quinn, but I don't think he is all that. He might make a solid starter, in the mold of Matt Hasslebeck. A system QB who needs to have some talent around him.

But not a game breaking, put the team on his back QB. Not in the Pros, anyway.

I am pretty sure Young will be picked ahead of Quinn in just about any draft scenario out there if Young stays and waits for next year.

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-05-2006, 09:59 AM
???

I like Quinn, but I don't think he is all that. He might make a solid starter, in the mold of Matt Hasslebeck. A system QB who needs to have some talent around him.

But not a game breaking, put the team on his back QB. Not in the Pros, anyway.

I am pretty sure Young will be picked ahead of Quinn in just about any draft scenario out there if Young stays and waits for next year.
I was shocked when I first heard this too, but 1) Quinn improved leaps and bounds this year..if he can make a similiar leap next year, who knows (coupled with a disappointing season by Vince and 2) I dont think you can underestimate how attractive it looks to NFL coaches to be under the tutelage of someone like Weis.
JMO.

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
That's right. According to one "source", one of the reasons he wasn't going to come out this year was that he didn't think he'd be a top 5 pick. Well, there goes that. If he comes out this year he will definitely be in the top 5 and maybe even the first pick overall (imagine that - Kubes getting his first gig with VY as his QB).

There are no guarantees in any of this. Who knows what's going to happen next year. He most likely won't repeat THAT performance, but he may win the Heisman and have a bright NFL future regardless. Will he top Brady Quinn in the draft in 2007? I don't know...

He has a HUGE decision to make.
Mount-n-Groan, I would still say it's very feasible he doesn't get drafted in the top 5..i mean think about it, of those teams in the top five, how many are even looking for a qb!? Maybe the Saints, but that's about it.
I personally don't think Vince Young is ready yet..yes, he's a game-breaker, but at the college level...

Jared
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
I dont think you can underestimate how attractive it looks to NFL coaches to be under the tutelage of someone like Weis.
JMO.

True.

But I think most scouts and GM's will always got for the better pure athlete when eveyrthing else is to close to call.

Except for the Steelers. They draft based on who fits what they are trying to do, and often pass up supposed 'better' prospects.

Yet, I think they are the best drafting team in the NFL.

DrunkPanda
01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
i don't think he will (i wish he did so buffs woudln't have to play him anymore). it's just stupid for him to go out early. this year he might be somewhere in the top 5. next year he would definitely be the #1 pick unless he gets injured.

mrsolo
01-05-2006, 11:12 AM
i don't think he will (i wish he did so buffs woudln't have to play him anymore). it's just stupid for him to go out early. this year he might be somewhere in the top 5. next year he would definitely be the #1 pick unless he gets injured.

If Adrian Peterson has a big year next year and stays healthy all year he'll have a good shot at being #1 overall. Scouts have been salivating over AD since his freshman season. It really depends on what the team with the first pick is looking for though. A team looking to build around a new QB would be nuts to not pick Young. If they have an established starter, AD would be a great bet.

TXBRONC
01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
If Adrian Peterson has a big year next year and stays healthy all year he'll have a good shot at being #1 overall. Scouts have been salivating over AD since his freshman season. It really depends on what the team with the first pick is looking for though. A team looking to build around a new QB would be nuts to not pick Young. If they have an established starter, AD would be a great bet.

If Vince stays and has big year the same can be said of him as well. I honestly wouldn't be surprised that if both players come out next year they would 1 and 2 (of coarse that's if are both healthy and so forth).

mrsolo
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
If Vince stays and has big year the same can be said of him as well. I honestly wouldn't be surprised that if both players come out next year they would 1 and 2 (of coarse that's if are both healthy and so forth).

Yeah...there are several "if"s there. I really hope Adrian can stay healthy.

If Vince has as good a year this next year, it should be his. That would be amazing.

BroncoBailey024
01-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I think he will come out, I'd rather come out on top, then lose. ;)

GridironChamp
01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
He will come out, but still end up a worse NFL QB than Leinert. If you look at what Vince Young did, only 250 passing yards and ) passing TD's. In case anyone doesnt know, all the running QB's in the NFL have slowed down. This season Micheal Vick ran less than any other season, its because everyone in the NFL is begger and faster and hits hard. A running QB cant run for 20 times like Young did in the Championship game and play for more than 3 years. He will have too many injuries, and he wont get that far, because in the NFL players arent scared to LAY OUT a QB like USC looked like they were scared to hit him.

West
01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
No, when's the last time a junior came out that went to Texas?

TXBRONC
01-05-2006, 05:58 PM
He will come out, but still end up a worse NFL QB than Leinert. If you look at what Vince Young did, only 250 passing yards and ) passing TD's. In case anyone doesnt know, all the running QB's in the NFL have slowed down. This season Micheal Vick ran less than any other season, its because everyone in the NFL is begger and faster and hits hard. A running QB cant run for 20 times like Young did in the Championship game and play for more than 3 years. He will have too many injuries, and he wont get that far, because in the NFL players arent scared to LAY OUT a QB like USC looked like they were scared to hit him.

Grid were talking about the college game not the pros. Vick in the college ranks ran alot even got the VT to a National Championship game. I don't know how Young will pan out in the NFL but has same tools to work with as Vick does with ideal height to boot.

BroncoManiac_69
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I voted No. I don't believe he will come out for all the reason's already stated here. He made a comment during post game interviews that "we" would be back.

He is disappointed he didn't win the Heisman and in my mind he should have. But I think he will stay on one more year with the Longhorns.

The NFL Network guys were discussing how the QB pool in the NFL is pretty low and there are not alot of guys out there to run their teams. If Vince takes another year of experience at the college level it will only benefit him in the long run.

kcchiefsrule
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Man... I would love to see Vince Young on my team, and hate to see him on any other team. He's a playmaker.

I actually, after thinking about it, believe he'll return to school. I don't think he cares if he's the first overall draft pick or not, because i'm sure he'd want to be somewhere he's going to start and be effective.

Vince Young is one of those guys you don't want to have on any other team in your division. Luckily, as we stand right now, the Chiefs are the only team that will need a quarterback within the next few years from whom we'd expect just to be an effective QB. I think the Raiders would expect a deep-throwing QB now, so that's why I said that.

I don't know everything, but if Young doesn't end up on my team, I hope he's in the NFC. I don't see any realism in him being on the Chiefs, either...

bronerines
01-06-2006, 07:59 PM
No he shouldnt and No he wont. Seriously people are overrated his Passing abilities since this season. Look at his last year stats he basically had a 1/1 Pass-Int ratio. So really his stats say he has had one good season passing. I doubt many scouts want to look for one good passing year. Now many scouts will be idiots and draft him and they might pay the consequences whn he isnt that experianced with NFL CB's. If he wanted a top 10 pick then wait a year show them this wasnt a bluff year and get a better draft pick. Now im not saying he is a bad player im just saying he really hasnt proved much beyond this season passing wise.

CaribouRanch
01-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Hi, Denver Bronco fans! We'll know by January 15 if Vince Young's fate will be to turn pro or not, ditto Reggie Bush of USC. :huh:

Orange_Crush21
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
He will come out, but still end up a worse NFL QB than Leinert. If you look at what Vince Young did, only 250 passing yards and ) passing TD's.

Only 250 yards? ONLY 250 yards? 250 yards passing is pretty impressive, especially when combined with 200 yards rushing. You do realize that he was 30 of 40. That's a 75% completion ratio, you will be hard pressed to find many QB's who can throw 40 passes with 75% accuracy.

I doubt many scouts want to look for one good passing year. Now many scouts will be idiots and draft him and they might pay the consequences whn he isnt that experianced with NFL CB's. If he wanted a top 10 pick then wait a year show them this wasnt a bluff year and get a better draft pick. Now im not saying he is a bad player im just saying he really hasnt proved much beyond this season passing wise.

Were you calling him a horrible QB when he single handedly beat your Wolverines in the Rose Bowl last year?

A few questions, how are "many scouts going to draft him?" Isn't it usually the head coach and general manager who make the draft picks? Second of all, why would a scout be an idiot if he were intrigued by VY's skills? Or do you know that much more about football than everyone else? Just asking.....

Spiderman
01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
I realize an exciting game was just played, and it's not that unusual or weird to get caught up in the moment, but I was both amazed and cracked up completely by the wildly outlandish hyperbole being seriously and breathlessly spouted by the commentators on ESPN after the Rose Bowl. :goofy:

Bottom Line -- Face It! -- Vince Young it seems is already the greatest NFL QB of all time. No Doubt. :O

One small problem -- the same overheated rhetoric and praise for Young is nearly identical to that frantically and feverishly handed out for Michael Vick earlier. (And by some, still.)

But, hey, apart from Young, Vick is the greatest NFL QB of all time, as we all know, so I guess all is right with the Universe. Not to mention ESPN. :duh:

LOL, times one million.

maruske845
01-08-2006, 11:27 AM
well he is going the the draft...according to espn news

BroncoManiac_69
01-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I heard that he is doing it too. I was a little surprised to hear it but anymore the NFL money is too attractive to these youngsters. I wish him luck.