PDA

View Full Version : did anyone think that bush was HUGELY underused?

bronx_2003
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
as a neutral watching he game i thought it was very good. i also thought that USC were alot better but bonehead plays (and a few dodgy calls) will lose you games. anyway, back to my point - reggie bush is the best player in college and one of the top running backs ever to play in college yet he was always splitting time with white or playing as wideout.

lendale white did a good job but i thought that they messed about with bush too much in that game.

bush should of played at least 75% of snaps at RB and they should of run him alot more, i think that would of won them the game and have white come in OCCASIONALLY.

on a side note i thought the 2 QB's were not that great, they both threw the ball with little velocity/power and had hardly any spiral. leinart was slow escaping pressure and young run alot but will not be able to do that in the nfl much.

i would not be surprised if they both slipped a little.

KnightOLB53
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes sir. I was thinking that in my head. Why isn't bush being used more? But i don't think it really mattered White did great its there defenses fault.

GridironChamp
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
as a neutral watching he game i thought it was very good. i also thought that USC were alot better but bonehead plays (and a few dodgy calls) will lose you games. anyway, back to my point - reggie bush is the best player in college and one of the top running backs ever to play in college yet he was always splitting time with white or playing as wideout.

lendale white did a good job but i thought that they messed about with bush too much in that game.

bush should of played at least 75% of snaps at RB and they should of run him alot more, i think that would of won them the game and have white come in OCCASIONALLY.

on a side note i thought the 2 QB's were not that great, they both threw the ball with little velocity/power and had hardly any spiral. leinart was slow escaping pressure and young run alot but will not be able to do that in the nfl much.

i would not be surprised if they both slipped a little.

Not only was he underused, he wasnt even used in pressure situations. On thier last 2 major drives that they could score on or take alot of time of the clock. They weren't usuing Reggie Bush at all. Give him the ball and let him attempt to make a play. It's not like he isnt used to making big plays.

If you have to throw him the ball or if you have to hand him the ball, get him the ball at least 20 times a game. ANd especially on that 4th down play, trust your Hiesman ppl.
Either let Lienert throw the ball and make a play or give the ball on a pitch or toss and let him get 1 freakin yard.

benjamincarr
01-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I agree thought they should have used their best player more

West
01-05-2006, 05:48 PM
No I do not. Early in the game Bush was shut down by that very very fast Texas defense. Texas matched up very very well with the rushing attack for BUSH. LenDale's power really worked good against them and Bush's slash style running didn't. Simple. Yes Bush had 82 yards on just 12 carries but he only had one run over 10 yards and that was a 30+ yard touchdown run.

Calif. Bronco
01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
The Bush/White rotation was no different than it has been for the last three years. It worked for 34 straight games so to question it in game #35 is a serious case of uninformed second guessing, IMHO.

SeekandDestroy
01-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Ya but Texas has one of the fastest defenses in the country and pete carroll probably though that running right at them with a big back would be more successful than tossing it outside to a smaller back. Though i do think that you have to have reggie in on fourth and two, at least as a decoy at WR or something. You've gotta let your best players make plays for you in big games!!!

armedequation
01-06-2006, 02:12 AM
well dont forget about bush's boneheaded move with the pitch at the end of a nice run.

West
01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Ya but Texas has one of the fastest defenses in the country and pete carroll probably though that running right at them with a big back would be more successful than tossing it outside to a smaller back. Though i do think that you have to have reggie in on fourth and two, at least as a decoy at WR or something. You've gotta let your best players make plays for you in big games!!!
Thanks for rewriting half my post. It's good to hear my thoughts twice. Bush should be in on 4th and 2? Are you serious? NO WAY. White was running through that Texas defense like Jamal Lewis through a Browns defense. It was the right play call. You haven't stopped him when running behind #71.

Right play call.

SeekandDestroy
01-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for rewriting half my post. It's good to hear my thoughts twice. Bush should be in on 4th and 2? Are you serious? NO WAY. White was running through that Texas defense like Jamal Lewis through a Browns defense. It was the right play call. You haven't stopped him when running behind #71.

Right play call.

I said reggie should be in as a DECOY at WIDE RECIEVER, with lendale at rb. and i do agree with you that it was the right call.

Sevenis7
01-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't say Reggie was "underused" as much as he was "misused". If the O-line is opening up holes in the middle for LenDale to run through, why wouldn't you also try to run Bush up the middle occasionally? I mean, the hole would be the same, and w/Reggie's speed, might break off a long run. We'll never know, since USC insisted on running Reggie exclusively on the edges....

LVNativeFan
01-08-2006, 12:55 AM
I don't think Reggie was underused.... I think he got a taste of what the NFL will be like, cause NFL defenses are all about speed. They have tons of it.. even though he is fast he will not make as many people look stupid at the next level. They tried to use him alot to begin with but Texas shut him down, so what do you do when speed is nagated by speed? You through strength and power at it, because think about it.. most fast guys are not that big so they are more hesitant to takle someone like White who is a power runner. Now if they were a big defense power type defense, then yes speed would wear them down in the end. Also on the last play, White was tearing them up, so I think Carroll made the right call, just they didn't execute the play. Why give Young the ball back when you couldn't stop him anyway... they would have enventually scored again regardless of where they got the ball back.