PDA

View Full Version : Preach it! Mr. Simms

jletourneau
01-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I really enjoy Phil Simms as an announcer compared to many who are out there, and I believe he typically takes a good objective and level headed view of the NFL in his write ups for NFL.com.

But I thought this article was hilarious to read how into it he's getting in highlighting how little respect Shanahan and the Broncos have gotten since last offseason.

I don't care much about the respect card right now, I just want the Broncos to take care of business next Saturday and make it to the AFC championship game. But Simms is reiterating much of what has been said on these boards, and there is a lot of truth to how little mention the Broncos have gotten. Which is okay! Under the radar is good and will hopefully amp us up for our first game even more.

Simms really goes to bat for us in this RMN article and even gets a little excited while doing so. A good read.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4371075,00.html

BroncFanIN
01-07-2006, 08:58 AM
great article! :beer:
From the sounds of our guys, they are fired up! They know they need to prove something, and are ticked they are not getting the coverage due them. Its a motivator to these guys!

WOOHOO!!! GO BRONCOS!!!!

Den21-Bal19
01-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Good read, cheers.

There's a couple of interesting little bits in there -

Another significant factor has to do with the overall strength of the playoff field. The 12 teams have combined for the most wins in postseason history (138), so there are plenty of story lines.

I knew it was a strong field this year, but damn...................

Another one I'm sick of hearing is this one -

And the Chargers, they might be the greatest team in history not to make the playoffs - the greatest ever.

Now, I realise from the tone of the article that Simms doesn't believe this tripe..........and in contention to this fact I'd like to nominate the '85 Broncos who missed out on the playoffs despite an 11-5 record with a +51 points differential, despite the Browns going in as Division Champions with an 8-8 record and a -7 points differential.

The two wild card sides that year were the 11-5 Jets (+129 points) and the 11-5 Patriots (+72), who went on to be destroyed by the Bears.

N.Y. Jets were first Wild Card based on better conference record (9-3) than New England (8-4) and Denver (8-4). New England was second Wild Card ahead of Denver based on better record against common opponents (4-2 to Broncos' 3-3).

So we missed the playoff despite having a better record than one of the divisional champions. The Chargers, this year were the 2nd best team to miss the playoffs in the AFC, the Chiefs had a better record ;)

SmithOverTO
01-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I've got the actual article in front of me, and it is a great read. Mr. Sims really steps up to bat for us.

Thank you Mr. Sims.

Denver Native
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
No respect - totally under the radar = BRONCOS SHOULD BE FIRED UP FOR THE PLAYOFFS - WANTING TO PROVE THEY ARE WORTHY OF RESPECT.

Fat Joe
01-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Excellent article. I like Simms as an analyst, not as much as a commentator though.

rogue719
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
No respect - totally under the radar = BRONCOS SHOULD BE FIRED UP FOR THE PLAYOFFS - WANTING TO PROVE THEY ARE WORTHY OF RESPECT.

Good article, but again, I prefer flying under the radar. Let everyone talk about how little press we are getting but we typically come into a game playing better when we have a chip on our shoulder. Even though the LV oddsmakers are giving us the nod, you can't tell that from the media and a number of the fans.

And you won't see much press on the Broncos until we play two weeks from now for the AFC Championship. Then they don't have a lot of choice, but if it's the Colts again, be prepared for a deluge of stories on how we were blown out the last two years by the Colts and that we don't play well in the RCA Dome and everything favors the Colts.

Steedstampede
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
"I think we haven't proven ourselves," Broncos tight end Jeb Putzier said. "We have to prove ourselves in the playoffs. Of course, we did it in the regular season. Just look at our record. But we have to do something in the playoffs to get that recognition."

I think that pretty much sums it up. Yes, we have a good record this year...but people remember what you do after the regular season. Really...we haven't proven anything. Which is exactly why no one talks about us. Personally...I think we are more dangerous being "under the radar". I relish the underdog role. I just hope we shut a lot of people up this year...then when they want to give us props, we give them the..."bird"... :D

One thing is for sure...we are going to put up a :fight:

TXBRONC
01-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Good read, cheers.

There's a couple of interesting little bits in there -

I knew it was a strong field this year, but damn...................

Another one I'm sick of hearing is this one -

Now, I realise from the tone of the article that Simms doesn't believe this tripe..........and in contention to this fact I'd like to nominate the '85 Broncos who missed out on the playoffs despite an 11-5 record with a +51 points differential, despite the Browns going in as Division Champions with an 8-8 record and a -7 points differential.

The two wild card sides that year were the 11-5 Jets (+129 points) and the 11-5 Patriots (+72), who went on to be destroyed by the Bears.

So we missed the playoff despite having a better record than one of the divisional champions. The Chargers, this year were the 2nd best team to miss the playoffs in the AFC, the Chiefs had a better record ;)

I would sure like to know where some of these guys come up with the Chargers being the best team to miss the playoffs. Even if they had beaten us last week their home record would have only been 5-3 with a matching 5-3 road record. Imo that still wouldn't be the mark of team getting the playoff shaft.

Thanks for bringing back what happened to us in '85 I knew that had happened I just couldn't remember for sure if we had gone 11-5 or 10-6.

Den21-Bal19
01-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I would sure like to know where some of these guys come up with the Chargers being the best team to miss the playoffs. Even if they had beaten us last week their home record would have only been 5-3 with a matching 5-3 road record. Imo that still wouldn't be the mark of team getting the playoff shaft.

Thanks for bringing back what happened to us in '85 I knew that had happened I just couldn't remember for sure if we had gone 11-5 or 10-6.

My pleasure TX, like I said the important thing was that there was another team, in the Chiefs, between the Chargers and the playoffs, and if memory serves, they were, unlike the Chargers, still in with a chance in the last week of the season of making the playoffs.

So surely that makes the Chargless the SECOND best team ever to miss the playoffs :confused: ?

TXBRONC
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
My pleasure TX, like I said the important thing was that there was another team, in the Chiefs, between the Chargers and the playoffs, and if memory serves, they were, unlike the Chargers, still in with a chance in the last week of the season of making the playoffs.

So surely that makes the Chargless the SECOND best team ever to miss the playoffs :confused: ?

It ridiculous to say that, I mean 4-4 at home and 5-3 on the road yeah a true contender. :rolleyes:

Deck
01-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the read! Three more hours till football time! :beer: