PDA

View Full Version : I just don't see it happening

chickennob2
01-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Corey Dillon has had a very inconsistent season. In a blowout win against the Jags in which you would expect the running game as a means of running out the clock Dillon still struggled, gaining a grand total of 40 yards. Faulk had an uncharacteristically decent game, making it all the way to 51 yards. Denver is tops in the league in run defense. The pats ground game will do exacty what it has done all year: stagnate. This will force Tom Brad to take the team on his shoulders, glorious and angelic though they may be. Al, DJ, and Ian, not to mention Lynch and Ferguson will not miss the tackles on Ben Watson that the Jags missed. Givens, Brown, and Branch should be pretty well contained by Champ and the youngsters. Our safeties will be pretty suspect in pass coverage, their typical focus of the running game being necessarily forgotten early on. Expect Brady to make some plays and have decent numbers, but playing from behind will lead to at least one big interception.

On the other side of the ball, Marine Mike will pound it inside, but I expect he will have a little trouble against the Pats' front seven. I expect Tatum to have a decent game, though maybe not quite a redskins-game-like performance as his speed will burn the aging vets. Jake will have to man up and be a big part of our success. I look for Putz to have a good game, and Rod should be reliable as always against the suspect New England secondary. But by the second half we should be in ball control mode protecting a lead, and provided we donít become too conservative, we should take home the victory.

chickennob2
01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
So the media can dress up the pats however they want, but history and mystique really meanss much less than the fairy tell sportswriters would liek you to believe. Bellechick is a great coach, and Brady has 3 rings. But lets face the facts. Theyre done.

letsgoavs1921
01-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I really agree with you. I think if we don't think too much about this being the New England Patriots, and how Tom Brady has never lost a playoff game we will be fine. They will be one dimensional all game. The bottom line is this...If our run game is doing average or above, we should win as long as we arent turning the ball over. If they have to honor the play actions we will be fine. If our run game is struggling, then it probably will come down to the wire. I think we will be fine.

Broncs 24, Pats 14

InBillWeTrust
01-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Corey Dillon has had a very inconsistent season. In a blowout win against the Jags in which you would expect the running game as a means of running out the clock Dillon still struggled, gaining a grand total of 40 yards. Faulk had an uncharacteristically decent game, making it all the way to 51 yards. Denver is tops in the league in run defense. The pats ground game will do exacty what it has done all year: stagnate. This will force Tom Brad to take the team on his shoulders, glorious and angelic though they may be. Al, DJ, and Ian, not to mention Lynch and Ferguson will not miss the tackles on Ben Watson that the Jags missed. Givens, Brown, and Branch should be pretty well contained by Champ and the youngsters. Our safeties will be pretty suspect in pass coverage, their typical focus of the running game being necessarily forgotten early on. Expect Brady to make some plays and have decent numbers, but playing from behind will lead to at least one big interception.

On the other side of the ball, Marine Mike will pound it inside, but I expect he will have a little trouble against the Pats' front seven. I expect Tatum to have a decent game, though maybe not quite a redskins-game-like performance as his speed will burn the aging vets. Jake will have to man up and be a big part of our success. I look for Putz to have a good game, and Rod should be reliable as always against the suspect New England secondary. But by the second half we should be in ball control mode protecting a lead, and provided we donít become too conservative, we should take home the victory.

Coming from a Pats fan, I think that is a pretty good analysis. I think the Denver running game will struggle some, like you said. The Patriots had a rush defense that went unnoticed this year, it was 8th in the NFL in the season as a whole, and was even better from the time Bruschi and Seymour came back to play. Plus, the Patriots run defense seems to perform even better in the playoffs.

For the Broncos, I think Jake needs to do what Leftwich did, just on a more consistant basis: pass the ball the edges of the field. The middle of the field is pretty anchored with more veterans. Jake should be throwing more to the sidelines: it worked for the Jags, even though they didn't do it as often as they should have. While the Pats secondary may be "suspect," as you said, I think they have really performed well the second half of the season. Duane Starks no longer plays (thank god!--remember he gave up at least one 50 plus yard pass against Denver in week 6?) and Ellis Hobbs has done a remarkable job filling in. He is a rookie that has really been one of the highlights of the Patriots defense, as a whole. The acquisition of Artrell Hawkins has also helped. Those 2 guys you didn't see in week 6.

When the Patriots have the ball, look for Faulk to be more productive than Dillon on the ground. The Pats should not expect the running game to be productive, just use it as a means to open up the passing game for Brady. Faulk, had he played more this year, would have a lot more yards than people might expect. He has looked great in the limited time he has played this year. He is a great screen RB, which is what the Pats used him for pre-dillon collapse. He may not have a great game against the stellar Broncos run defense, but he'll at least open up the passing game for Brady.

Brady is so good in the playoffs, and both he and the Bronco's secondary should have their hands full. With proper protection, Brady is virtually flawless in the playoffs, it seems. One advantage I think the Pats have that other teams that played the Broncos may not have had is the variety of receivers. The Patriots do not have one receiver that the Broncos, or any opponent for that matter, can single out and say, "O.K. we need to stop HIM." Brady spreads the ball to all receivers. While the Bronco's secondary has the height advantage over the receivers it seems, the WR's have tons of speed. Branch, Andre Davis, Givens, and Bethel Johnson are all speedy. The Patriots enjoy and are usually successful in using their tight ends to their potential, as well. Benjamin Watson has impressed us all in his "rookie" year (He was a rookie last year but had a season ending injury the first game of the season). He has stepped it up big and has shown great hands. He is a deep threat as well as a short screen threat, which is somewhat unusual for a TE.

Good luck!