PDA

View Full Version : No Smack, No Drivel...Just Some Analysis

pikman
01-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Can the drivel and the smack talk. Let’s really look at this Bronco-Patriot matchup for what it is…a true test for both teams.

So far I am seeing a lot of talk about a different Patriots team, a more experienced Patriots team, and oh yeah, my personal favorite “The Defending Champs”. Here’s how I see it…

Week 6 Denver beats a Patriot team that has injuries at Invesco. Denver plays a great first half and then lets off the gas in the second half making the game look a lot closer than it really should have been. Jake Plummer threw for 250yds against a weak NE secondary, a secondary BTW that has remained virtually unchanged all season. The Bronco’s rushed for 178 on a defense that has undoubtedly gotten healthy and improved since then. The Pats put up 300 in the air against a young and inexperienced Bronco secondary, and rushed for nothing (89yds).

Flash ahead to the conference semi finals. New England has Bruschi back and are undoubtedly a better team than the one Denver faced in week 6, however this is also not the same Bronco team that played in week 6. Denver’s 3 headed rushing attack should have the Pat’s D stacking the box early and often in hopes of containing MA, RD, and TB. To me this seems like the perfect opportunity to exploit the weak New England secondary early in the contest. If the Pats are up playing the run, Jake and the bootleg and play action will pass all over the Pats early. Shanahan and company will use the pass to set up the run. Denver has learned how to step on the opponents neck, and if they get an early 10-14 point lead this time they will not let the Pats back in it.

Everybody knows that New England will not be able to run on Denver, unless they pull off some kind of playoff trade for Larry Johnson. This puts all of the heat on “The Champ”, Darrent, Foxworth, and the safties. Multiple blitz packages have proven to rattle Tom Brady, and I think Coyer knows how to attack. The Patriots will try and short pass the Broncos to death, but beware, Brady throws a deep ball very well. I think that defensively the Broncos secondary can handle the Pats receivers 1 on 1, and did I mention that John Lynch is going to the Pro Bowl AGAIN.

Here’s the intangibles and take them for what they are worth. The Patriots have been here before, they know how to handle the pressure and not panic. Our beloved Orange and Blue has a great deal of pressure on them to finally get over the hurdle. As long as Shanny can keep them focused and calm, the Broncos will win this game. If the playoffs get to their heads, and they can’t keep it together under pressure, it’s a tough NE team.

Oh Yeah…BTW…This is truly Jake Plummer’s coming out party. He has had an incredible year, has shown he can manage a game and still make the plays when he has too. Now he must do it when it really counts…time to earn your dough No Mistake Jake.

Just One Mans Thoughts

LordTrychon
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Just One Mans Thoughts
Good ones at that... :cheers: :beer:

oldrover
01-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Good analysis. I agree this is a big game for both teams... my Pats have not beaten anyone this year with the offensive firepower you guys have, though their defense has improved markedly over the past month.

If you guys run for 150 yards, we're toast.

LordTrychon
01-09-2006, 10:23 AM
If you guys run for 150 yards, we're toast.
Well, that's usually the case in any game... but point taken...

And thank you for being reasonable... most honest Bronco fans are not expecting this game to turn into a blowout by any means... My anticipation of this game is huge... it's gonna be a great game.

It's just nice to run into a Pats fan who doesn't believe in their own invincibility.

LVNativeFan
01-09-2006, 10:28 AM
My opinion, Plummer is gonna have to have the game of his life. The coaching staff for the Pats will take away our running game, but we still can not abandon it. The Patriots coaching is one of the best in history, if they are gonna do one thing it will make be to make Plummer beat them. We still have to try and run the ball though... gonna be a tough game to win.

BroncFanIN
01-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Other intangables to add to the list:
Mile High Magic. I have a feeling Invesco will be ROCKING on Saturday night. loud would be an understatement.

The 12th man will have an impact on the game.

Leaders: Rod Smith, John Lynch, Al Wilson, Mike Anderson, Jake Plummer and Champ. Rod and John, along with Kube and Shanny, will keep our players in check. They all know what it takes to win.

This will be a tough game, no doubt. Close. We play Broncos football, run, run, bootleg, play action, run some more, we'll control the clock, keep Brady off the field, and walk out with a hard fought W. :D

oldrover
01-09-2006, 10:37 AM
It's just nice to run into a Pats fan who doesn't believe in their own invincibility.

Hey, we've lost 6 games this year, one to you guys that wasn't as close as the final score. Invincibility is a non-starter. The real key will be our rush D. We've shut down everyone recently except when the backups played Miami... but no one had the rushing attack that you guys do. Or the QB.

If... IF... we DO win this one, we'll definitely have earned it.

BroncFanIN
01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
My opinion, Plummer is gonna have to have the game of his life. The coaching staff for the Pats will take away our running game, but we still can not abandon it. The Patriots coaching is one of the best in history, if they are gonna do one thing it will make be to make Plummer beat them. We still have to try and run the ball though... gonna be a tough game to win.
The Pats D wont shut down our run. No one has all year. Though it will be a tough match-up. But have faith in our rushing attack and coaching. We've earned the 2nd seed in the playoffs and got here with our ground attack and great coaching.

Deck
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey, we've lost 6 games this year, one to you guys that wasn't as close as the final score. Invincibility is a non-starter. The real key will be our rush D. We've shut down everyone recently except when the backups played Miami... but no one had the rushing attack that you guys do. Or the QB.

If... IF... we DO win this one, we'll definitely have earned it.
It will definately be a case of "Best team winning."
I love dogfights.... I just hope that whoever wins doesn't get too banged up... I STILL wanna see Indy go down regardless... :cheers:

NJfan26
01-09-2006, 10:55 AM
heres another intangible that was missed: We are underdogs once again and we play better when we are underdogs. Shutting down this NE offense isn't as easy as some are making it out to be. Corey Dillion is a beast when hes healthy and tom brady well hes mr. playoffs. We can't over look this offense, they are as dangerous as the Colts offense and the key to this game just like if we were playing the colts is to keep the ball out of tom brady's hands. RUN RUN and RUn some more until their D is breathless and then we can go over the top on a tired and frustrated defense.

oldrover
01-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I just hope that whoever wins doesn't get too banged up... I STILL wanna see Indy go down regardless...

Amen to that. :D

Boxer21
01-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Original quote:
The Pats D wont shut down our run. No one has all year. Though it will be a tough match-up. But have faith in our rushing attack and coaching. We've earned the 2nd seed in the playoffs and got here with our ground attack and great coaching.

If you love defensive games, you should love this one. If you think the Pats won't stop the run, you are still watching the Pats from week 6. A lot has changed. Broncos will have to rely on Plummers arm.

pikman
01-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Original quote:

If you love defensive games, you should love this one. If you think the Pats won't stop the run, you are still watching the Pats from week 6. A lot has changed. Broncos will have to rely on Plummers arm.

The Pat's rushing D is receiving far too much credit right now. Since week 10 they have had a stifling run defense, but it stifled; Miami, NO, Jets (2x), Buffalo, TB, Jacksonville. The only top five rushing team they played was KC, and they laid 112yds on the Pats.

Too much credit is being given to a rushing defense that has held teams that rank 12, 14, 18, 20, 31 to below 100yds.

This week end they are facing the second ranked rushing offense in the league and probably the most diverse at that. The Broncos can pound you with Anderson or Dayne, and then floor you with the speed and explosiveness of TB.

If NE aren't careful they are going to buy into the hype, and get it handed to them by the Broncos ground game.

broncoswin
01-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Other intangables to add to the list:
Mile High Magic. I have a feeling Invesco will be ROCKING on Saturday night. loud would be an understatement.

The 12th man will have an impact on the game.

Leaders: Rod Smith, John Lynch, Al Wilson, Mike Anderson, Jake Plummer and Champ. Rod and John, along with Kube and Shanny, will keep our players in check. They all know what it takes to win.

This will be a tough game, no doubt. Close. We play Broncos football, run, run, bootleg, play action, run some more, we'll control the clock, keep Brady off the field, and walk out with a hard fought W. :D

Could not agree more! Remember the last game of the season- San Diego? We were supposed to lose that game and ended up winning BIG in their backyard with nothing to play for. That, in itself should show everyone the seriousness of the Broncos' goal to winning the Superbowl.

Time of possession will be key... making those 1st downs and running it down New England's throat.

Like the Monday night game vs. Kansas City...the crowd will be pumped and LOUD!!

PatrickdaDookie
01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Multiple blitz packages have proven to rattle Tom Brady, and I think Coyer knows how to attack.

When has this ever been the case? I recall Denver knocking Brady down all the time in week 6, and he kept getting up and firing accurate passes.

LordTrychon
01-09-2006, 12:10 PM
When has this ever been the case? I recall Denver knocking Brady down all the time in week 6, and he kept getting up and firing accurate passes.
Yeah... he did look rather shaken up though... and extremely frustrated...

Then they started to score... don't know if we were getting to him at that point...

:coffee:

pikman
01-09-2006, 12:13 PM

He was 24/46 for 299. Give me a break, you throw the ball 50 times you better put up some yardage.

As far as accurate passes the above number is barely 50% :confused:

Brady was pressured and rushed and he made poor throws and lots of them.

denver7_30
01-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Oh Yeah…BTW…This is truly Jake Plummer’s coming out party.

i agree, am expecting a good game from him saturday night.

greatpilgrimNE
01-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Can the drivel and the smack talk. Let’s really look at this Bronco-Patriot matchup for what it is…a true test for both teams.

So far I am seeing a lot of talk about a different Patriots team, a more experienced Patriots team, and oh yeah, my personal favorite “The Defending Champs”. Here’s how I see it…

HOW YA DOIN', DENVER????? :D

Week 6 Denver beats a Patriot team that has injuries at Invesco. Denver plays a great first half and then lets off the gas in the second half making the game look a lot closer than it really should have been. Jake Plummer threw for 250yds against a weak NE secondary, a secondary BTW that has remained virtually unchanged all season. The Bronco’s rushed for 178 on a defense that has undoubtedly gotten healthy and improved since then. The Pats put up 300 in the air against a young and inexperienced Bronco secondary, and rushed for nothing (89yds).

Yes, we were injured, but we were also - as you pointed out - young and inexperienced. Week 6 is week 6 for all. And if you consider Starks having been revoked and Hobbs entering the corps a virtually unchanged secondary you're mislead there, and that is to put it mildly.

Flash ahead to the conference semi finals. New England has Bruschi back and are undoubtedly a better team than the one Denver faced in week 6, however this is also not the same Bronco team that played in week 6. Denver’s 3 headed rushing attack should have the Pat’s D stacking the box early and often in hopes of containing MA, RD, and TB. To me this seems like the perfect opportunity to exploit the weak New England secondary early in the contest. If the Pats are up playing the run, Jake and the bootleg and play action will pass all over the Pats early. Shanahan and company will use the pass to set up the run.

See, the thing is - not just Bruschi, Seymour also is back. We don't know if Tedy will play though. Richard, Rosie, Mike, and Willie should be more than enough to give you guys fits, however. Expect Jake to have very little time in the pocket. I'm expecting you to do equally well on your offense.

Denver has learned how to step on the opponents neck, and if they get an early 10-14 point lead this time they will not let the Pats back in it.

10-14? No. Anything above 17? Yes.

Everybody knows that New England will not be able to run on Denver, unless they pull off some kind of playoff trade for Larry Johnson.

Well, you certainly hope so. I've no illusions about our running game either, but it's not like there won't be a couple 10 yard runs here and there.

This is truly Jake Plummer’s coming out party. He has had an incredible year, has shown he can manage a game and still make the plays when he has too. Now he must do it when it really counts…time to earn your dough No Mistake Jake.

Amen to that. :beer:

PatrickdaDookie
01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah, you never know how NE's running game will do. It's like playing a game of roulette.

pikman
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you never know how NE's running game will do. It's like playing a game of roulette.

Kinda like Plummer and the passing game. C'mon lucky 16.

Boxer21
01-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Would you believe the NFL's best run defense in the second half of the season was the Patriots? It's true and that defense will get a great test against the Broncos. The Patriots gave up only 68.6 yards a game rushing in the second half of the season.

37Harrison
01-09-2006, 12:57 PM
First off, hello and here's to a good, injury free game!
Now, some things that you bronco fans are off on. First, the secondary... the faces have changed since the last time we saw you guys and they have finally gotten their stuff together as a cohesive unit. Earlier in the year, guys were way out of position on almost every play, now they know where they are supposed to be and the biggest nonstat there is.... they are confident that their teammate will be there to back them up.
The D line, possibly the best in football. With Seymour back, the Broncos will have to double team him leaving a linebacker (McGinest, Colvin) to rush the pass depending on where he lines up. This also allows them to be more flexible on D as to how they line up. 3-4, 4-3, 2-6.. whatever, I can't even tell you how many different packages he opens up.
The run D while going up against some bad teams, the RB's (C. Williams, W. McGahee, C. Martin) were not bad and to hold any back to under 50 yards a game and to do it in succesive weeks is impressive, if you think otherwise well then you're fooling yourself.
The D itself is much much better than the one that showed up at Mile High during the season. Again, I know that every team has improved but how much the Pats D has improved cannot be overstated.
The offense is also healthier... while the run game is still lacking, the Pats have mastered the screen pass. I know that you have fast LB's but to watch Brady with PA is a thing of beauty, it was virtually lost in the prior game they played there and your LB's will bite on it.
Coaching, Shanahan is a great coach no doubt about that however, BB is too and I think he gets a slight edge here.
Playing at Mile High, Denver is tough to beat at home and it is going to take exceptional Patriot play to win there but I believe they can do it.
This game is a true test for the Pats as it is for Denver and I believe who ever wins this game, wins the Super Bowl. Again here's to a great, injury free game!

BANJOPICKER1
01-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Something I just found..

1. I know New England is a trendy pick to reach its fourth Super Bowl in five years, but here's what could stop the Patriots from getting there: 1) Tom Brady is a different quarterback on the road, and New England must play its next two away from Gillette Stadium to reach Detroit. OK, OK, so Brady is a perfect 10 in the playoffs and beat Pittsburgh in two AFC Championship games at Pittsburgh (once, with help from Drew Bledsoe), but look what happened this year. Including this weekend's playoff game, Brady has 17 touchdowns and two interceptions at home; on the road he has 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Yeah, I'd call that a trend.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9153181

rcsodak
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Something I just found..

1. I know New England is a trendy pick to reach its fourth Super Bowl in five years, but here's what could stop the Patriots from getting there: 1) Tom Brady is a different quarterback on the road, and New England must play its next two away from Gillette Stadium to reach Detroit. OK, OK, so Brady is a perfect 10 in the playoffs and beat Pittsburgh in two AFC Championship games at Pittsburgh (once, with help from Drew Bledsoe), but look what happened this year. Including this weekend's playoff game, Brady has 17 touchdowns and two interceptions at home; on the road he has 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Yeah, I'd call that a trend.

key point, picker......

I'm amused at how most of the patsies' fans have bought into this 'new and improved' team.
For being a team that can 'plug-n-play' everybody on the roster, I don't think there'll be much of a difference.

I think the only difference is the caliber of teams they played, to end the season.
Playing that lineup would make the Texans beam with confidence.

They're in for a rude awakening, methinks..... :coffee:

37Harrison
01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Something I just found..

Something that the Jag fans were doing that I see you guys doing as well... they were looking at the regular season stats. Those stats are SO misleading right now. The Pats team that is coming into Invesco is not the same Pats team that produced those numbers in the begining of the year.
This is a completely different Pats team than when they played in Week 6, hell it's a completely different team from Week 11.

The other trend that you are looking at, most of those road games were when the team was decimated by injuries, again another stat I wouldn't put too much into.
I know that you guys are going to look at those stats but honestly, I'm trying to tell you just like I told the Jag fans, it's not the same team.

pikman
01-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Something that the Jag fans were doing that I see you guys doing as well... they were looking at the regular season stats. Those stats are SO misleading right now. The Pats team that is coming into Invesco is not the same Pats team that produced those numbers in the begining of the year.
This is a completely different Pats team than when they played in Week 6, hell it's a completely different team from Week 11.

The other trend that you are looking at, most of those road games were when the team was decimated by injuries, again another stat I wouldn't put too much into.
I know that you guys are going to look at those stats but honestly, I'm trying to tell you just like I told the Jag fans, it's not the same team.

I can assure you of one thing...even if the fans are looking at this game the wrong way, Mike Shanahan sure isn't, they don't call him the mastermind for nothing.

bronxs
01-09-2006, 05:16 PM

Flash ahead to the conference semi finals. New England has Bruschi back and are undoubtedly a better team than the one Denver faced in week 6, however this is also not the same Bronco team that played in week 6. Denver’s 3 headed rushing attack should have the Pat’s D stacking the box early and often in hopes of containing MA, RD, and TB. To me this seems like the perfect opportunity to exploit the weak New England secondary early in the contest. If the Pats are up playing the run, Jake and the bootleg and play action will pass all over the Pats early. Shanahan and company will use the pass to set up the run. Denver has learned how to step on the opponents neck, and if they get an early 10-14 point lead this time they will not let the Pats back in it.

Everybody knows that New England will not be able to run on Denver, unless they pull off some kind of playoff trade for Larry Johnson. This puts all of the heat on “The Champ”, Darrent, Foxworth, and the safties. Multiple blitz packages have proven to rattle Tom Brady, and I think Coyer knows how to attack. The Patriots will try and short pass the Broncos to death, but beware, Brady throws a deep ball very well. I think that defensively the Broncos secondary can handle the Pats receivers 1 on 1, and did I mention that John Lynch is going to the Pro Bowl AGAIN.

Here’s the intangibles and take them for what they are worth. The Patriots have been here before, they know how to handle the pressure and not panic. Our beloved Orange and Blue has a great deal of pressure on them to finally get over the hurdle. As long as Shanny can keep them focused and calm, the Broncos will win this game. If the playoffs get to their heads, and they can’t keep it together under pressure, it’s a tough NE team.

Oh Yeah…BTW…This is truly Jake Plummer’s coming out party. He has had an incredible year, has shown he can manage a game and still make the plays when he has too. Now he must do it when it really counts…time to earn your dough No Mistake Jake.

Just One Mans Thoughts
Excellent, Better break down then espn. All of this is true. On the offensive side, denvers bread and butter is the running game, while new england is the passing game. any playoff team can take away the other's strength, it's the winners that find another way to win. In new englands case, they HAVE to run the ball a little, and denver needs to playaction pass and jake needs to be EFFICIENT in the pocket. Unlike new england, no one man has to win it for them. If each bronco player executes their job, then we should win.

bronxs
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM

I know, but both teams have inproved, I know MOST pats fans are not taking the broncos into consideration as a team that has improved. As the season went on, Denver became MORE efficient on offense, and more stingy on defense. It should be a good game.

Deck
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Would you believe the NFL's best run defense in the second half of the season was the Patriots? It's true and that defense will get a great test against the Broncos. The Patriots gave up only 68.6 yards a game rushing in the second half of the season.
Oct 30 Buffalo Won 21-16...............................20th in the league rushing
Nov 7 Indianapolis Lost 21-40.....................16th
Nov 13 @Miami Won 23-16.............................12th did good, held a decent team
Nov 20 New Orleans Won 24-17.................18th are they even a team?
Nov 27 @Kansas City Lost 16-26 .................4th Can't call 119 yards rushing successful
Dec 4 N.Y. Jets Won 16-3..........................31st
Dec 11 @Buffalo Won 35-7.......................20th
Dec 17 Tampa Bay Won 28-0.................... 14th did awesome there def. speaking
Dec 26 @N.Y. Jets Won 31-21.....................31st
Jan 1 Miami............................................. ........Lost 26-28 28 carries for 108... starters weren't in right?

Anyways.... the teams that really ran on you.... well... simply... you lost.... now wait till you feel the heat of the number 2 :)
Good luck on Sat regardless

Boxer21
01-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Oct 30 Buffalo Won 21-16 20th in the league rushing
Nov 7 Indianapolis Lost 21-40 16th
Nov 13 @Miami Won 23-16 12th did good, held a <b>decent</b> team
Nov 20 New Orleans Won 24-17 18th are they even a team?
Nov 27 @Kansas City Lost 16-26 4th Can't call 119 yards rushing successful
Dec 4 N.Y. Jets Won 16-3 31st
Dec 11 @Buffalo Won 35-7 20th
Dec 17 Tampa Bay Won 28-0 14th did awesome there def. speaking
Dec 26 @N.Y. Jets Won 31-21 31st
Jan 1 Miami Lost 26-28 28 carries for 108... starters weren't in right?

Anyways.... the teams that really ran on you.... well... simply... you lost.... now wait till you feel the heat of the number 2 :)
Good luck on Sat regardless

Pats D got better as the 2nd half went on. I guess we'll see how much. Don't underestimate.

Deck
01-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Please keep in mind I'm not even taking into account where they are NOW... W/L ratios.... how good of a team, etc..... just rushing averages and such

SkyVortex
01-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I actually believe the Pats will be a harder game then the Colts would be.
Whoever wins this game, wins the Superbowl.
I feel its time we stop using the previous Pats/Broncs game as a gauge.
Its not.
This is not the same Patriots team.

This game will be fought on the ground and will come down to field position.

Boxer21
01-09-2006, 08:45 PM
I actually believe the Pats will be a harder game then the Colts would be.
Whoever wins this game, wins the Superbowl.
I feel its time we stop using the previous Pats/Broncs game as a gauge.
Its not.
This is not the same Patriots team.

....and clock management

Deck
01-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree 100 percent... although.... I think anytime someone makes that statement about any football game..... I agree....

Denver Native
01-09-2006, 08:47 PM
From the Colts message board:

The Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patriots are not the problem, I believe it’s the Broncos we have to face-off with in the Conference Championships to win against, yes the Steelers must be dealt with, but it’s the Broncos we must watch out for afterwards or we may be blindsided.

bronxs
01-10-2006, 12:33 AM
From the Colts message board:

The Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patriots are not the problem, I believe it’s the Broncos we have to face-off with in the Conference Championships to win against, yes the Steelers must be dealt with, but it’s the Broncos we must watch out for afterwards or we may be blindsided.
Broncos are the only team that they haven't beaten this year. Yes you could say last year blah blah blah, but the we and the colts know this is a new year, this year they finally beat the patriots in foxboro, and they know denver is gunning for them. But first, we must beat the defending champs, If we win, I hope the game doesn't take to much out of the players to play the following week, against well, we all know who.