PDA

View Full Version : I wanna hear this from a Patsy fan

BroncoTyger
01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I am just curious why you guys or that crying quarterback think you get no respect.. I don't know if this is a thread somewhere else..but with everyone talking about you guys being Super Bowl contenders everyday, how are u guys being disrespected?

Just want an honest answer

InBillWeTrust
01-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I am just curious why you guys or that crying quarterback think you get no respect.. I don't know if this is a thread somewhere else..but with everyone talking about you guys being Super Bowl contenders everyday, how are u guys being disrespected?

I think there's a pretty simple explanation: motivation. The Patriots leaders (Brady, Bruschi, and Harrison when healthy) say that they get no respect as even extra motivation for the games. If you listen to the post game interviews or press conferences, the first thing you hear out of the players' mouths is, "Not many people gave us a chance, nobody thought we could do it." So, if you ask me, the Pats leaders bring up the question of lack of respect so they can use it to their advantage. And, you can't really blame them; they were underdogs vs. the colts in 03 and 04, underdogs vs the Steelers in 04, and huge underdogs in 01 vs the Rams and Raiders.

RI_Patsfan
01-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Totally agree with IBWT,

And, you gotta admit, it always comes at this time of the year when Pro Bowl announcements come out and they usually are forgotten cuz the flavor of the year like a Chicago, Seattle, Carolina, Cinncinatti puts 6 guys in there, etc.

I think this year Brady played the card cuz he felt he should have been getting more consideration for MVP and I think he's right.

bronxs
01-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Totally agree with IBWT,

And, you gotta admit, it always comes at this time of the year when Pro Bowl announcements come out and they usually are forgotten cuz the flavor of the year like a Chicago, Seattle, Carolina, Cinncinatti puts 6 guys in there, etc.

I think this year Brady played the card cuz he felt he should have been getting more consideration for MVP and I think he's right.
Doesn't that stray away from the team concept, but anyways, this year is different and they got all the respect. Hey, if it works, I'd do it, but I don't think that really works.

TheMastermind
01-10-2006, 09:34 PM
I think there's a pretty simple explanation: motivation. The Patriots leaders (Brady, Bruschi, and Harrison when healthy) say that they get no respect as even extra motivation for the games. If you listen to the post game interviews or press conferences, the first thing you hear out of the players' mouths is, "Not many people gave us a chance, nobody thought we could do it." So, if you ask me, the Pats leaders bring up the question of lack of respect so they can use it to their advantage. And, you can't really blame them; they were underdogs vs. the colts in 03 and 04, underdogs vs the Steelers in 04, and huge underdogs in 01 vs the Rams and Raiders.

who cares what respect the media gives.....

jake plummer threw 2 picks against the chiefs....and the media said he was going back into his slump again...."jake the mistake".....

and he didnt go back......

do you see him complaining?

RI_Patsfan
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Doesn't that stray away from the team concept, but anyways, this year is different and they got all the respect. Hey, if it works, I'd do it, but I don't think that really works.

No I don't think it does, because they don't call attention to themself. They each, to a man, talk about the other guys on the team. I've never heard one guy on this team refer to himself in the third person, or celebrate records by teamates, etc. You've gotta see it on a daily basis to get it. It's unbelievable.

InBillWeTrust
01-10-2006, 09:47 PM
who cares what respect the media gives.....

jake plummer threw 2 picks against the chiefs....and the media said he was going back into his slump again...."jake the mistake".....

and he didnt go back......

do you see him complaining?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you, but I don't see how the facts you stated have to do with my post...

SwampFoot
01-10-2006, 11:40 PM
...how are u guys being disrespected? Just want an honest answer

Before the playoffs started, the Patriots looked awful on defense (especially week 6) and few in "the media" were expecting them to make the playoffs. Everyone thought the key to beating them was simply to pick on the replacements. I'm pretty sure Brady was playing the "disrespect" angle because no one expected the DB's to get better and the front seven to get healthier.

One thing a lot of people forget is: while the Patriots were losing personnel to injuries, they had to fall back to some generic looking defenses that the noobs could comprehend. Vanilla cover 2 with very little pressure on the QB from the front 7 was killing the secondary. In the Jacksonville game, you could see the disguised defenses the Patriots are known for, especially the man-fake/under-double-TE Assante Samual pulled off for the INT/TD.

The Patriots are getting a lot of respect now, but it wasn't all Pats-love a few weeks ago.

Archimedes Owl
01-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Before the playoffs started, the Patriots looked awful on defense (especially week 6) and few in "the media" were expecting them to make the playoffs. Everyone thought the key to beating them was simply to pick on the replacements. I'm pretty sure Brady was playing the "disrespect" angle because no one expected the DB's to get better and the front seven to get healthier.

One thing a lot of people forget is: while the Patriots were losing personnel to injuries, they had to fall back to some generic looking defenses that the noobs could comprehend. Vanilla cover 2 with very little pressure on the QB from the front 7 was killing the secondary. In the Jacksonville game, you could see the disguised defenses the Patriots are known for, especially the man-fake/under-double-TE Assante Samual pulled off for the INT/TD.

The Patriots are getting a lot of respect now, but it wasn't all Pats-love a few weeks ago.
I don't know. When I was watching television back then, everyone expected them to make the playoffs in that division. I mean, around midseason, Miami went into a slump and was even blown out by Cleveland.

Most people also recognized that the Pats had some injuries and that this would hurt them. Still, their defense was playing horribly back then and the criticism was justified in the same way that it was justified after Miami torched us in the opener.

I think that both teams have improved since then, but the Pats haven't dominated any good offensive football teams. They've done a terrific job on beating up on some bad offensive football teams and they should be commended for doing this, but us Broncos fans look at who they've beaten and think that the media takes a few good victories against bad to mediocre teams and glorifies them. Now, I would expect the Pats to put up a good fight, but I also expect the Broncos to win. Still, I hold the possibility that the Patriots will lose.

As for the Patriots being disrespected by the national media, that's just silly, but I'm not one to complain. Let them think whatever they like. Really, I think that football players shouldn't need to use the media and respect to motivate themselves to get up for a game, but if that's what it takes, all the power to them, I suppose.

BroncoFanCam
01-11-2006, 12:06 AM

Honest answer: Because they're a bunch of friggen whiners. :duh:

SwampFoot
01-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Honest answer: Because they're a bunch of friggen whiners. :duh:

I'm not sure if they're whining but it does seem to motivate them. On the flip side of the disrespect coin, the Patriots show a lot of respect for their opponents. You can be sure that every Patriot starter will know the tendencies, strengths and weaknesses of their key matchup and his backup. Both teams will come out with a game plan to execute and I'm sure both will be making half-time adjustments because of the different looks they will receive. The team that can make adjustments and still execute their game plan will be victorious.

In the end, it will be a classic game of chess orchestrated by two of the leagues best head coaches.

Eldritch
01-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure if they're whining but it does seem to motivate them. On the flip side of the disrespect coin, the Patriots show a lot of respect for their opponents. You can be sure that every Patriot starter will know the tendencies, strengths and weaknesses of their key matchup and his backup. Both teams will come out with a game plan to execute and I'm sure both will be making half-time adjustments because of the different looks they will receive. The team that can make adjustments and still execute their game plan will be victorious.

In the end, it will be a classic game of chess orchestrated by two of the leagues best head coaches.

What's it like to root for a team of Mary Poppinses? "Practically Perfect in Every Way"

RC is right. Where do I take my genuflection lessons...

Viva ManchVegas
01-11-2006, 07:24 AM
What's it like to root for a team of Mary Poppinses? "Practically Perfect in Every Way"

RC is right. Where do I take my genuflection lessons...
LOL. Not bad at all. When you go from possibly the biggest joke in the league to winning three out of four Super Bowls, it's a bit easier to ignore the holier than thou aura around the Pats. Not really hard to see why the rest of the league wants to kick our asses. I get sick of it myself, but on game day all the talk and genuflecting is over, and it's great to watch this team play such great, hard hitting football; especially after having to watch such awful Patriots teams for the previous 40 years.

BroncoFanCam
01-11-2006, 07:26 AM
WOW two down to earth Pats fans in teh same thread... I am speechless... you gys should ban the others, cause they really make you guiys look like idiots (well not you guys, but Pats fans in general).

Bronco_Buster
01-11-2006, 07:44 AM
The Patriots, despite their run of 3 in 4 years haven't really gotten the love that the Cowboys or 49ers got during their reigns. Despite their sucess, each of the last two years the Pats have been underdogs to the Colts on the heels of them B-slapping the Broncos in the divisional round. All they heard about heading into the Carolina SuperBowl was how dominant the Panthers front seven was and how thier offensive line, according to fat ass Warren Sapp, was mediocre and wouldn't hold up. Last year, I'm sure they were tired of hearing about T.O and his ankle and the vaunted Eagles defense. A team as dominant as NE has indeed gotten a lot of praise from front runners like Sean Salisbury and Peter King but they have to listen to Dan Marino each sunday before their games gush over Peyton Manning and the Colts. Marino has taken Peyton under his wing because he can relate to Peyton's lack of team sucess despite his great individual talent. I think the palyers' disrespect card is overplayed, just as it is by every other player and team in North American pro sports. None of this matters though. As someone pointed out in previous reply, this game is going to be about which team makes the proper in game adjustments and excecutes. Based on both teams' personell and coaching staff's we'd have to agree the Patriots are better off. They can beat teams any number of ways both offensively and defensively. They can go spread, no huddle, two tight end, or empty backfield on offense etc.... They can grind it out or shoot it out, doesn't seem to matter. Defensilvely they can go 3-4 or 4-3. In the 3-4, they can rush any of the 4 linebackers or drop any of the four into coverage. They once went without a single down lineman against Buffalo two years ago in the first half and then stacked them with 8 in the box in the second half with 5 guys with a hand on the ground. To me Denver has one hope, allbeit a strong hope, and that is to run the ball and allow Jake to run his play action bootleg. If that's not there, than Denver has little else to fall back on. To me, that's why I like NE's chances on Saturday night. I'm just not sold on the Denver defense. I think there are a few very good players in Big Al Wilson and Champ Bailey and Ian Gold, but I don't see much a of a sack threat particularily on an offense that allows very few sacks. D. Williams had a very strong game against NE in October and he's already announced he's at 60% and will be in on nickel packages so there's a problem as well....

Va_Pats_Fan
01-11-2006, 08:14 AM
WOW two down to earth Pats fans in teh same thread... I am speechless... you gys should ban the others, cause they really make you guiys look like idiots (well not you guys, but Pats fans in general).

There are some ppl in the patriots MB that are doing the same for the Broncs :) Take any group of ppl, and chances are a certain percentage are idiots.

Jared
01-11-2006, 08:26 AM
There are some ppl in the patriots MB that are doing the same for the Broncs :) Take any group of ppl, and chances are a certain percentage are idiots.

My theory is that the percentage is around 90 on these types of boards.

Not because 90% of all people are idiots, but I get the feeling that the really bright, literate, rational fans don't need places like this as an outlet for extreme emotions for their team, as some people do.

Also, I generally find that the visitors from any team are not even close to a true representation of what goes on on their home site, because most of the cool ones have no interest in trolling other boards.

so, that is why most vistors end up being trolls. Not all. But alot of them. Because they are predisposed to the behavior that makes the trolls to begin with.

Viva ManchVegas
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Also, I generally find that the visitors from any team are not even close to a true representation of what goes on on their home site, because most of the cool ones have no interest in trolling other boards.

I have to disagree with you here. The reason I visit other team's boards is to find out about the other team. When I go to work, read the papers, or listen to the radio all I hear is about the Patriots. I already know about the Pats: I watch all of the games. I want to hear the Bronco fans say why they think their team will win. I know that they're good just by looking at the record: I want to know why they're good.

Jared
01-11-2006, 09:00 AM
I have to disagree with you here. The reason I visit other team's boards is to find out about the other team. When I go to work, read the papers, or listen to the radio all I hear is about the Patriots. I already know about the Pats: I watch all of the games. I want to hear the Bronco fans say why they think their team will win. I know that they're good just by looking at the record: I want to know why they're good.

Ok, that's you personally.

Based on my experiences here, and when I have been asked to visit other sites, the Bronco fans who troll are either not the same fans we have posting here, or if they are, they are suffering from disassociative disorder. Because its like reading the words of a completely different person.

PatsGirl
01-11-2006, 09:09 AM

The Boston Media is absolutely brutal. I have watched the coverage from them all season and many didn't think they could do anything.You don't have to listen to this crap everyday, so it would be hard for you to understand. Also, earlier in the season after the first Bronco's game, many ESPN and Fox analysts have said they are not good. I think the important thing is that the two teams respect each other and who cares about the media.

LordTrychon
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
The Boston Media is absolutely brutal. I have watched the coverage from them all season and many didn't think they could do anything.You don't have to listen to this crap everyday, so it would be hard for you to understand. Also, earlier in the season after the first Bronco's game, many ESPN and Fox analysts have said they are not good. I think the important thing is that the two teams respect each other and who cares about the media.
Pats have female fans too? Interesting. How YOU doin'? j/k... Welcome to the boards...

That's an interesting perspective that nobody's managed to explain in the past several days that our board has been innodated with Pats fans. Thanks for the input.

I'm torn like I believe many other fans to be... I truly don't care what the media thinks... but I love reading good stuff about my team. Semi-schizophrenic.... :beer:

Medford Bronco
01-11-2006, 09:50 AM

Maybe in the past it rang true, but not now! They are the most respected team in the league, more the Indy! They should not need that crap to get ready for playoff games!

Go Broncos and we can here more crying from the media and in Boston! (except for the few Bronco fans here!)

oldrover
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't think they WERE respected back when you guys beat them... and for good reason. They sucked. Each week since (with a hiccup in the Chiefs game), the media has been coming back to them. So, I agree... when Brady said it, it wasn't exactly true. It was EARLIER, but not then.

SwampFoot
01-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Does anyone really care if the Patriots feel disrespected ? Let's face it, when the Super Bowl is over and free agents are not getting the salary they are expecting, your going to hear this whole disrespect issue all over again from all teams. Brady set himself up for this idiotic discussion in order to motivate his team but do we have to beat this dead horse ?

For everyone stating that the Super Bowl Champs are silly for using this for motiviation, think about this: did any of you make a New Year's resolution this year ? If you did, you know the chances are high that you won't pull it off, but you do it anyway for that short-term motivation. It sounds silly, but we all have done it.

InBillWeTrust
01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Maybe in the past it rang true, but not now! They are the most respected team in the league, more the Indy! They should not need that crap to get ready for playoff games!

Go Broncos and we can here more crying from the media and in Boston! (except for the few Bronco fans here!)

I still think in rings true. The respect business is the card the Patriots have played in the playoffs since 2001. It has worked in the past, and I don't blame Brady (or whoever else) for sticking with a winning hand.