PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about

broncofan27
01-11-2006, 08:46 AM
I think eveyone including Pats fans can agree that Jacksonville should not have been in the playoffs. The chiefs were a much better team than Jacksonville and if it weren't for a very tough schedule and division they would have been in playing the Pats. I think we can all agree the chiefs would have ruined the Pats like they did earlier in the season. I think Jacksonville was not a true test of the pats being so called "back". We destroyed Jacksonville earlier this year. The Pats/Jags game was much closer than it appeared. Nobody seems to remember it was 7-3 at halftime. But hey thats my take. I just think Denver has played much better teams than the pats this year and saturday will prove it we handle them and send them to the golf courses.

GoPatsGo
01-11-2006, 08:48 AM
I certainly don't agree at all with that statement. If Jacksonville didn't belong in the playoffs - they wouldn't have made it and the Chiefs would have. I also don't agree that the Chiefs would beat us this time around just as I strongly believe that the Broncos won't beat us this time around.

elwaywasbest
01-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I certainly don't agree at all with that statement. If Jacksonville didn't belong in the playoffs - they wouldn't have made it and the Chiefs would have. I also don't agree that the Chiefs would beat us this time around just as I strongly believe that the Broncos won't beat us this time around.

Of course you believe that. You're a Pats fan. You have no reasonable basis for that belief, but you believe it because you want to. But the FACT is that Jacksonville was a weak playoff team, and the FACT is that the Patriots looked horrible against them for the first half of that game.

Enjoy your last three nights of sleep as a fan of the superbowl champions. At least the Celtics are good this year. . . oh, wait.

:D

sammie1
01-11-2006, 08:58 AM
The Pats will win on Saturday because they have the edge at the two most important positions -- quarterback and coach. Belichick and Brady will not allow the Pats to lose this weekend.

Archimedes Owl
01-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I think eveyone including Pats fans can agree that Jacksonville should not have been in the playoffs. The chiefs were a much better team than Jacksonville and if it weren't for a very tough schedule and division they would have been in playing the Pats. I think we can all agree the chiefs would have ruined the Pats like they did earlier in the season. I think Jacksonville was not a true test of the pats being so called "back". We destroyed Jacksonville earlier this year. The Pats/Jags game was much closer than it appeared. Nobody seems to remember it was 7-3 at halftime. But hey thats my take. I just think Denver has played much better teams than the pats this year and saturday will prove it we handle them and send them to the golf courses.
I try not to read too much into a single game.

Wasn't our game against the Bills tied at seven at the half??

And KC was a good team, but I can't say that they really deserved to make the playoffs more than Jacksonville or Pittsburgh.

Now, as the divisions are now, the best team from each division will go to the playoffs. This is guaranteed because each team from each division has nearly an identical schedule, so the one team with the best record will make it. Of course, in some years there are two fantastic teams in a division. This is why the wild card exists. It's in case a fantastic team that is a legitimate contender can make the playoffs. An example of this was when Denver was 12-4 in '97 and the Chiefs were 13-3. Of course a 12-4 team (Even if they've played a fairly easy schedule) should be considered a legitimate playoff contender. A 10-6 team is much more iffy, however. Since there has been a sixth seed, none has made a conference championship game let alone a superbowl and to include the Chiefs would require adding a seventh seed.

As for the idea of just taking the top six teams in the conference, it is really screwy. I mean, then a division that played a pretty hard schedule may not make it and a couple of teams from a division that played a really easy schedule might make it. This type of thing works somewhat decently in the NBA because there are enough games to guage a team, but with only 16 games it's not like each team can play eachother.

As for 10-6 teams missing the playoffs here and there (Not very often though), I haven't a problem with that. In a year like this where there are a lot of bad teams and a lot of good team, but no mediocre teams, it is easy to win the games that you should and come out with a better record, so it is less impressive. Kansas City's record is eclipsed by the records of five other teams in the conference, so it's hard to claim that they got shafted by not being considered as good.

It's not like 1985 when the Broncos went 11-5 and had the second best record in the conference, but missed the playoffs while the 8-8 Cleveland Browns made the playoffs. Such years are very rare. And there were only five seeds back then. Now there are six, so such things really almost never happen. Sure, a situation like that may present itself again some time, but it will still be incredibly rare.

EDIT: Sammie, you don't have an edge at the coaching position.

And even if Brady is damn excellent (And he is), he won't be able to alone win you the game. The Patriots as a team will have to beat the Broncos as a team. His play will help more than the play of any other Patriot, but if he has a fantastic day, but your defense sucks you will lose.

EDIT2: I thought this was one of those "Expand the playoffs threads". Sorry.

GoPatsGo
01-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Of course you believe that. You're a Pats fan. You have no reasonable basis for that belief, but you believe it because you want to. But the FACT is that Jacksonville was a weak playoff team, and the FACT is that the Patriots looked horrible against them for the first half of that game.

Enjoy your last three nights of sleep as a fan of the superbowl champions. At least the Celtics are good this year. . . oh, wait.

yeah it's easy to say that now in hindsight but if jacksonville came in and trounced the Pats and then shut the Broncos out at Mile High - would you still be downplaying them as a weak playoff team?

Jacksonville had a poor game- I agree with that. However before the game their fans were saying the same thing you are saying.

I am fully confident that we will remain super bowl champions and I don't like the Celtics, Red Sox or Bruins for that matter.

Go Whalers! Oh wait.... :\

broncofan27
01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
yeah it's easy to say that now in hindsight but if jacksonville came in and trounced the Pats and then shut the Broncos out at Mile High - would you still be downplaying them as a weak playoff team?

Jacksonville had a poor game- I agree with that. However before the game their fans were saying the same thing you are saying.

I am fully confident that we will remain super bowl champions and I don't like the Celtics, Red Sox or Bruins for that matter.

Go Whalers! Oh wait.... :\
Well jacksonville fans are some of the wierdest fans in the NFL. I went to the Jags/Broncos game earlier this year and on the drive home after the game was listening to their post game show. People were calling for the heads of the coach running back, quarterback offensive line, etc., etc. They had about 6 fans in the stadium and the rest were bronco fans. I don't think the 70+ year old community down there fully understand football.

AlWilsonizKING
01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
The Pats will win on Saturday because they have the edge at the two most important positions -- quarterback and coach. Belichick and Brady will not allow the Pats to lose this weekend.

How are those two gonna do it? Are they gonna play D also? I'd like to see that. The entire Broncos roster vs. The coach and the QB?!?!?!

Whatever?!?!

PEACE!!!

rogue719
01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I think eveyone including Pats fans can agree that Jacksonville should not have been in the playoffs. The chiefs were a much better team than Jacksonville and if it weren't for a very tough schedule and division they would have been in playing the Pats.

But then you can make the same claim about the Colts and the Chargers.

I think we can all agree the chiefs would have ruined the Pats like they did earlier in the season.

I don't agree. The Chiefs are tough playing at home but if they had gotten into the playoffs as the wild card, they would have played in New England, and the Chiefs aren't that great a road team.

I think Jacksonville was not a true test of the pats being so called "back".

Perhaps, but they were a 12-4 team playing a 10-6 team. Both teams played pretty sloppy ball, though. The Pats won't be able to play that kind of game in Denver this weekend and win.

We destroyed Jacksonville earlier this year.

And Miami destroyed us 34-10. That doesn't mean that they would beat us in Denver this weekend. It also doesn't mean that Jacksonville would have fared any better or worse than the Chiefs on the same weekend.

The Pats/Jags game was much closer than it appeared. Nobody seems to remember it was 7-3 at halftime. But hey thats my take. I just think Denver has played much better teams than the pats this year and saturday will prove it we handle them and send them to the golf courses.

And I think we will win the game as well. However, the Pats have had a week to clean up the problems they had last week and an extra week for Bruschi to heal. We have had two weeks to do prelim game plans for all possible opponents and then a more in-depth game plan for the Pats game this week. Darrent Williams has had an extra week to heal, though he may or may not need more.

Atwater His Ass
01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
How can you honestly say a 12-4 team shouldn't have made the playoffs? :duh:

broncofan27
01-11-2006, 11:18 AM
How can you honestly say a 12-4 team shouldn't have made the playoffs? :duh:
THE SCHEDULE!!...Look at it. Even the analysts said it all year about how weak of a schedule the jags had. The hot start got them in not a super strong finish.

TheFifth
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Belichick and Brady will not allow the Pats to lose this weekend.

45*** Denver Broncos PLAYERS will though. By the way, when did Belichick start playing for the Pats? What's his player number? Oh, that's right. He's the Head Coach.

*** I know there are 53 Players, but the NFL limits the number who dress on game day to 45.

Bronco_Buster
01-11-2006, 11:26 AM

I think the fact that you have an Elway picture in your sig leads me to believe you're living in the past. JAKE PLUMMER is your QB! End of argument. Denver is like one of the hoe's that Chamberlain banged en route to his 10,000. You and your team are just another speed bump in the parking lot of Patriots lore...