PDA

View Full Version : Stat Crunching/Scheming

BroncFanIN
01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Watching the Pats game last week vs. Jag-u-ars, certain...weaknesses in the New England Defense became apparent.

Was it me, or was Jacksonville actually completing short passes to the flanks, moving the football down the field?

How could Denver use this against NE, I am thinking?

So I went to the game center on NFL.com to see if my thinking was correct:

Play by Play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060107_JAC@NE)

Check out Jags at 14:90 and 12:02 in 2nd Quarter
and Jags 6:50 2nd Quarter

At this point in the game, both teams were still in it. There were even points in these posessions where Taylor ran for some decent yardage (6, 7 yards).

Could this be a true weakness in the NE defense? Maybe Denver should come out, use a combonation of TE's and short routes...spread out their D?

What do you guys think? Looking for good analysis and discussion of possible game plans. :cheers:

lynchandplummer
01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
i think that would be a good move for the Denver O to try, i really enjoyed watching Lelie across the middle during the Raiders game, he's so fast and elusive, as well as Jeb and SA, and how about a little Wesley Duke for good measure. With Rod and Lelie running short routes and our TE's doing the same we could really exploit that weakness I think.

husky71
01-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Watching the Pats game last week vs. Jag-u-ars, certain...weaknesses in the New England Defense became apparent.

Yes, the Patriots have a few weaknesses on D, especially the D backs, and those of us who are Patriots fans will not deny that fact. But BB will give up the short pass at times to keep the opponents from using the deep route, and here's why. I've stated in other threads that the Patriots D backs can be exploited successfully (as a Patriots STH I saw it too many times early in the season) BUT in order to exploit the D, the Denver O line/TEs have to be able keep the Patriots front 7 from playing as they have the past 6 games or so, keeping the opposing QB off balance. Everyone is healthy for nearly the 1st time all season long. You will probably see Seymour, Wilfork,and Warren up front with McGinnest and Colvin as the OLBs and Vrabel and Bruschi as the ILBs. BB also has been known to switch to a 4-3 sending either Mcginnest or Colvin up to the line. BTW, talk all you want about the "easy" schedule (you played whoever was on your schedule and the Patriots played whoever was on theirs) but those last 6 games allowed many of the front 7 to play together for the 1st time all season and become very, very healthy and ready to go. Beyond the front 7 I'm not discounting the fact that the D backs are still missing something (Rodney Harrisons leadership and tenacious play) but most recently they have played better as a group as the games go by. If Plummer has his way and can exploit the Patriots deep D, Denver should have no trouble winning the game but, we up in NE know that BB is a master at making adjustments (as I'm sure Shanahan is as well) almost on a play to play basis, and usually succeeds at covering up the Patriots weaknesses fairly well.

Here's to a great football game.

Go Patriots!

Medford Bronco
01-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Was it me, or was Jacksonville actually completing short passes to the flanks, moving the football down the field?

How could Denver use this against NE, I am thinking?

So I went to the game center on NFL.com to see if my thinking was correct:

Play by Play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060107_JAC@NE)

Check out Jags at 14:90 and 12:02 in 2nd Quarter
and Jags 6:50 2nd Quarter

At this point in the game, both teams were still in it. There were even points in these posessions where Taylor ran for some decent yardage (6, 7 yards).

Could this be a true weakness in the NE defense? Maybe Denver should come out, use a combonation of TE's and short routes...spread out their D?

What do you guys think? Looking for good analysis and discussion of possible game plans. :cheers:

I agree with the analysis, I would lull them to sleep then hit them with Lelie deep over the suspect seconday!
Then after you losen them up, run the ball down their throat. This is not the same Pats team that won 3 of 4 SBs. If they somehow win this game they will not win the SB! they are beatable, so the Broncos can exploit them!