PDA

View Full Version : Who's under pressure to win...

Va_Pats_Fan
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Considering the history of these two teams and tomorrows game and all the surrounding hype...

which team is feeling the pressure more?

kilkizan
01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Considering the history of these two teams and tomorrows game and all the surrounding hype...

Honestly? I think the Pats, with all the national attention given to their record and possible dynasty if they end up losing the eastern US is going to be heart broken that the champs have failed.

In the local media here though if we lose will be calling for blood, so the Broncos have a reason to play hard but nationaly we have already been written off.

DAYNETRAYNE
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
of course with all the hype about 10 straight PO wins, 3 SB's in a 4yr span. re-vamped Defense, heathier, and the rest of that Blahzae Blah, i would say its plenty of pressure on N.E. Not as near much as Denver.

Archimedes Owl
01-13-2006, 12:58 PM

They're both under a ton of pressure. The Broncos have flopped a lot in recent years, so their fans will be very angry with them if they don't have some post-season success.

Everyone expects the Patriots to win and a dynasty is on the line, so they have a lot of pressure on them.

BANJOPICKER1
01-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Honestly? I think the Pats, with all the national attention given to their record and possible dynasty if they end up losing the eastern US is going to be heart broken that the champs have failed.

In the local media here though if we lose will be calling for blood, so the Broncos have a reason to play hard but nationaly we have already been written off.

Perhaps Kubs leaving could kill or atleast calm down the call for blood if we did lose!!Its going to be a whole NEW team next year now!

4team
01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I think the Broncos have the edge across the board here. They feel they've written off (though not by the patriots). They've ran into a streeking Indy team on the road the last 2 years without a bye week, so their motivation to make the most of this game has got to be higher than ever. Their at home and they feel they haven't been given the proper respect all year. No, the only real pressure for game is coming from themselves.

Tough call all around but if I had to make a pick I think I have to give this one to Denver.

But we'll have to wait and see.

Sam_Z
01-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Seeing the broncos interview on TV and hearing them on air this week, I didnt sense any pressure once so ever.
They are feeling calm and relaxed I just they are focused though over looking their current situation.
We will win if they keep their composure!

Conquistadita
01-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Ummmm it's the f'ing playoffs, who's not under pressure and when do they get cut? :huh:

I think the Broncos are under more pressure than the Patriots. The Broncos have been knocked out in the first round two years in a row. The Patriots have won two straight Super Bowls and a playoff game, so if they lose today, the team gets a free pass because of the good will they've built up and all the injuries.

However, I do not think media and fan pressure will affect the game.

rogue719
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM

Obviously the Patsies. They are the media pick and media darling. Even though the oddsmakers favor the Broncos, it's the Denver team that has already been written off. If the Broncos lose to the defending world champions, no one would be surprised (except for the folks in Vegas).

Sorry guy, the monkey is all on your team's back at the moment. We come out and kick New England butts and the media will be eating crow for a week while they find reasons to believe that the Broncos can't possibly beat the Colts.

Then we do it again.

Enjoy the last day and a half of your team's playoff run.

Edit:
from The Sports Network

Belichick is 2-7 in his career against the Broncos, including an 0-4 mark when he was at the helm of the Browns (1991-95). Denver's Mike Shanahan is 7-3 in his career against New England, and is 3-2 head-to-head with Belichick.

4team
01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Ummmm it's the f'ing playoffs, who's not under pressure and when do they get cut? :huh:

I think the Broncos are under more pressure than the Patriots. The Broncos have been knocked out in the first round two years in a row. The Patriots have won two straight Super Bowls and a playoff game, so if they lose today, the team gets a free pass because of the good will they've built up and all the injuries.

True. I just hope who ever comes out isn't too banged up I hate for Indy to get another hobbled chew toy. Not say I'm looking past Pittsburgh.

_BrusT_
01-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Well, it is hard to imagine playing a Div Playoff game without any pressure, I think even the Redskins will feel some kind of pressure. The Broncos are slightly favored for the game, so I think that pushes some more public pressure on them, also N.E as the defending Champ will also be in the spotlight, but because the Broncos haven't lost a homegame this season, I think the pressure is a bit higher on our side, but who cares, you got to deal with it anyways.

sammie1
01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
The Pats obviously play well under a ton of pressure (all those AFC championship games and Super Bowls show that), but I think the Broncos actually have more pressure. They are favored and should win. If the Pats lose, it will be blamed mostly on injuries. Because they've already won ten playoffs games in a row most people think it has to end sometime for the Pats.

svpearson
01-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I think the patriots probably have more pressure as a team...

However, I do think Plummer has alot of pressure. As good a season as he has had, if he has a bad game you will start hearing the jack smack talk all over again about how he sucks.....But if they win and he plays well, he will have earned a huge amount of respect.

I think this is the biggest game of his career so far....

RI_Patsfan
01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Nothing could ever convince me that the Broncos (and especially Shanahan) aren't under more pressure in this game. Coming off a 13-3 season, bye week, playing at home, and after laying two PO eggs back to back, how could they not be?

Who cares about the National media. Broncos have to answer to the Denver media and more importantly, their fans.

No pressure on the Pats whatsoever.

gobroncsnv
01-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Nothing could ever convince me that the Broncos (and especially Shanahan) aren't under more pressure in this game. Coming off a 13-3 season, bye week, playing at home, and after laying two PO eggs back to back, how could they not be?

Who cares about the National media. Broncos have to answer to the Denver media and more importantly, their fans.

No pressure on the Pats whatsoever.

Except everyone is forgetting that the Pats are without Crennel and Weiss... How's Mr Bill doing this year without them??? Better, or worse??? Seems pretty obvious, given their regular season "success" against us.
Mr Bill needs to see what it's like to be head coach without those two holding his hand in the playoffs. Yeah, yeah, now tell me how tough the Jags are again???
Pressure's on Billy Boy to prove he can do something by himself, without the real brains behind your PAST success.

RI_Patsfan
01-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Except everyone is forgetting that the Pats are without Crennel and Weiss... How's Mr Bill doing this year without them??? Better, or worse??? Seems pretty obvious, given their regular season "success" against us.
Mr Bill needs to see what it's like to be head coach without those two holding his hand in the playoffs. Yeah, yeah, now tell me how tough the Jags are again???
Pressure's on Billy Boy to prove he can do something by himself, without the real brains behind your PAST success.

That's a load of crap. BB has to prove himself? Laughable.....
You don't think that Shanasham better do something before Kubiak leaves town on a rail? Belichick has more job security than any coach in the league. and that includes Shanny and Cowher!!!!!!!

gobroncsnv
01-13-2006, 11:02 PM
You're whistling in the dark, pal

Seamus
01-13-2006, 11:21 PM

Sorry to pick on your statment or everyone else with less than 20 posts on this site, this is nothing, this isn't a reason for pressure. Bronco history 101, Shanahan knows what pressure is with this team back in the 1980's as the offensive coordinator to a team that couldn't win a superbowl. Then he went and worked for Al Davis! That is pressure.
There are a lot of veterans on this team that know they are here based on their ability. They also know they got to earn any respect (there was a good post on the players response to being under the radar). So what is the pressure? None, they just need to get the job done.

RI_Patsfan
01-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Sorry to pick on your statment or everyone else with less than 20 posts on this site, this is nothing, this isn't a reason for pressure. Bronco history 101, Shanahan knows what pressure is with this team back in the 1980's as the offensive coordinator to a team that couldn't win a superbowl. Then he went and worked for Al Davis! That is pressure.
There are a lot of veterans on this team that know they are here based on their ability. They also know they got to earn any respect (there was a good post on the players response to being under the radar). So what is the pressure? None, they just need to get the job done.

You don't get it...... :duh:

BroncoManiac_69
01-14-2006, 04:55 AM

This is a toss up but the Patriots and all this "Dynasty" talk has the most pressure in this game.

Shanny is also facing the "win without Elway" Scene.

But as stated on NFL Network, and I agree, the Colts with all this "we will win it all attitude" is the biggest team with the biggest "pressure problem" and they WILL LOSE"

I don't care where but the WILL lose

I hate Peyton Manning's Cheating, BS Crap he pulls at the line of scrimmage to give him the so called added edge. He can't just line up and run a play. He is a game time, line of scrimmage manipulator and always has been.

So Peyton... Just drop back and throw a pass ....

Without trying out for All My Childrenl.

I DARE YOU!!

I know we aren't that far yet but this Mo FO drives me nuts

husky71
01-14-2006, 07:18 AM
I think the fans and the media are putting more "pressure" on the players and coaches than the players and coaches are putting on themselves. The players and the coaching staffs of both teams are professionals. Once the game begins, the players will forget about any "pressure" they might have felt earlier today and realize that all they have here is another football game that needs to be won. The teams will not be thinking about dynasty talk or consecutive playoff wins or losses or 'your fans are better than ours' talk. It doesn't matter to them at all. As BB has stated at his news conferences and interviews during his entire tenure here (and I'm sure Mike Shanahan has done the same in Denver) is that the game is today and history, although mentionable, is totally irrelevant. The players know what they have to do to win. All they really want to do is perform at their best, and hope it is enough.

As a Patriots STH I obviously want my team to win, so GO PATRIOTS!. But, in reality all I can hope for is 100% from both teams, and let the chips fall as they may.

Conquistadita
01-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Well, that's why I said there's more pressure on the Broncos but that pressure wouldn't affect either team. My definition of pressure is this: the more unthinkable losing is, the more pressure you're under to win. The Patriots aren't under pressure because, win or lose, they still have good will built up. The Broncos will have to answer some questions if they go one-and-done three years in a row. I do not believe this will have any effect on the game.

If you want to say that being unaffected by pressure is the same as having no pressure, go ahead. :confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-14-2006, 08:01 AM
It has to be the Broncos. They are definitely under a lot more pressure. The Broncos are playing at home, they've had a great season, are the #2 seed, undefeated at home, haven't won a playoff game in 7 years. Today is a make or break for them.

The Pats on the other hand I think aren't under pressure at all. All streaks eventually end, Brady and Bellichick are in fact - human, and theycan blame anything they want if they lose today and it will be accepted as the "end of a great run".

greatestteam
01-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Neither team is under pressure. The Patriots Dynasty is complete, and the Broncos are believed not to have a defense to make a run. Indy is under the pressure.

Patriots as underdogs (again and again)? Hard for me to understand, but, Denver earned a 13-3 record.

We got spanked badly by the Broncs earlier.

Broncs at home. It looks bad for us.

Good news is, no respect and a chip on our shoulder.

Two great cities with great fans. Are you ready for some football?

Mil
01-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Sigh, whoever said that thing about the "possible dynasty" .. they already ARE a dynasty. Just accept the fact that a team which ones 3 SuperBowls in 4 years, no matter by how many points, is a dynasty in this day and age.

As for the hype. I think Denver is feeling more pressure, being at home and not having really won anything in a long time. More specifically, Jake Plummer has WAY more pressure on his shoulders than Tom Brady. Plummer has a lot to prove to critics in this game.

Seamus
01-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, that's why I said there's more pressure on the Broncos but that pressure wouldn't affect either team. My definition of pressure is this: the more unthinkable losing is, the more pressure you're under to win. The Patriots aren't under pressure because, win or lose, they still have good will built up. The Broncos will have to answer some questions if they go one-and-done three years in a row. I do not believe this will have any effect on the game.

If you want to say that being unaffected by pressure is the same as having no pressure, go ahead. :confused:

I will admit that last night when I posted this I didn't do a great job conveying the situation to people who are new to this message board or new to the Broncos, probably to the ones who frequent both. Anyhow, another day lets try again:

Pressure, hard to say when it really was at it's maximum this year, but I assure you that it isn't today.
Maybe it was when Claret showed up to training camp only to be in the press week after week until Jerry Rice showed up. Or was it when the whole deffensive line of the Browns were traded to Denver. yep we had a rocky start at the beginning of the year with a bunch of distractions happening in training camp. Also throw in Jake Plumber coming off last years "Throw to anybody" season high interception run, and a whole new set of corners right off the rookie wagon to try and stop the threats of the AFC West. We also need to trade away last years running game and revamp Anderson from the past and team him up with the unproven Bell.
Then week one rolls around and Miami in 90 degree 100% humidity makes the team look like it's coming off the tracks into mediorcity.
Week two didn't look any better until the Champ Baily INT and return for a touchdonw in a huge momentum swing in our own stadium against San Diego. A little pressure started to bleed off. However KC was the defending AFC West Champs with the Raiders re-tooled to throw long and far! We need to stay healthy and play hard to stay in it, then Bailey is hurt with a hammy.

In my opinion the most pressure was on this team for the first half of the season where they had to prove they could win and finish games with less mistakes from Jake, and keep games close with the new front D and Coyer unorthodox play calling. I felt that there was a change after going into Dallas, keeping that ugly game close, then having the third back break it big to win in overtime. (Dane the MAN!) So that is what I ment by they just need to do what they know how to do. Go in an handle the Pats like San Diego!

semperfi
01-14-2006, 10:42 AM
It has to be the Broncos. They are definitely under a lot more pressure. The Broncos are playing at home, they've had a great season, are the #2 seed, undefeated at home, haven't won a playoff game in 7 years. Today is a make or break for them.

The Pats on the other hand I think aren't under pressure at all. All streaks eventually end, Brady and Bellichick are in fact - human, and theycan blame anything they want if they lose today and it will be accepted as the "end of a great run".

If we lose tonight, it won`t necessarily mean the end of the run. We will have all our players back next year, AND we will have back our players on IR, like Rodney Harrison and Matt Light. Plus, don`t be surprised to see Ty Law back with us next year. We will be a stronger team than we are this year. This run won`t end until Brady or Belichick (or both), are gone.
I think the pressure is all on Denver to win, because its all gravy to us...hell, 6 weeks ago most everybody was writing us off, anyway.

Conquistadita
01-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm making a distinction between pressure and performance under pressure. The Eagles, for instance, were under immense pressure to win the NFC championship last year because they got popped out the last three times. However, they managed to play up to their abilities in spite of pressure. I suppose the Broncos will be the same way.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are under pressure in the sense that it's a playoff game and all teams are under pressure in playoff games, but they don't have the same sentimental pressure of having to win in order to avoid looking like failures.

Anyway, I don't understand what you're disputing.

BTW, there's always more pressure in the playoffs than the regular season. Whether or not you feel it is a different story.

Conquistadita
01-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Meh, how do you define dynasty in such a way that it excludes and will continue to exclude the Patriots but includes the Cowboys? :huh: Or do you not consider the Cowboys a dynasty?

highchiefboki
01-14-2006, 11:30 AM

I was watching th edenver nes last night and even they said we had no chance to win... So hwho do you think?

GO BRONCOS!!!!

Conquistadita
01-14-2006, 11:36 AM
My rule of thumb is eight straight years of consistently excellent play, with no fewer than three Super Bowls, so I don't include the Cowboys either. Just the 49ers and the Steelers.

OK, I can accept that. On the other hand, I'd argue that one or two off-years would be OK, especially considering the nature of football. 6 or 7 straight years of excellent play should easily constitute a dynasty. 8 out of 10 or so should also constitute a dynasty because that's 8 years of excellent play in a decade, so the team is dominating the majority of the decade.

By the way, I'd include Packers by your definition.

Crown&7
01-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Broncos for several reasons:

1) Broncos have never won a playoff game since #7 retired. Don't care what you say, THAT weighs on a competitor's (Shanahan's) psyche.

2) MOST of the informed football world is expecting Jake to throw some key interceptions tonight. But I am sure he won't let a silly thing like "picks" and no playoff wins impact his frame of mind, right?

3) Denver is favored to win and at playing at home.

4) Denver beat NE earlier this season

5) Informed football world is expecting the NE "run" to end at some point.

So...once the Broncos get finished handling this pressure effectively, via a 27-24 win, the Pats can find solace in the fact that "hey, it couldn't last forever."

Va_Pats_Fan
01-14-2006, 01:27 PM
This is exactly why I want the Patriots to lose. Because they're so intent on redefining "dynasty" to include their team.

I think if you knew the patriots, you would know that not one will ever refer to themselves as a "dynasty". They shun talking about, and refuse to comment when asked. The dynasty talk is from fans, media, and other football teams. Win or lose today, the pats have won 3 of 4 superbowls. The core of the team remains, and this season will neither be the end of thier run, nor thier defining moment. Its hard to say where this pats team will rate with the great ones, other to say it will be there with the great ones. In 10 years, we can then look back and better evaluate where thier place in football history is.

TXBRONC
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I think if you knew the patriots, you would know that not one will ever refer to themselves as a "dynasty". They shun talking about, and refuse to comment when asked. The dynasty talk is from fans, media, and other football teams. Win or lose today, the pats have won 3 of 4 superbowls. The core of the team remains, and this season will neither be the end of thier run, nor thier defining moment. Its hard to say where this pats team will rate with the great ones, other to say it will be there with the great ones. In 10 years, we can then look back and better evaluate where thier place in football history is.

Yep the core will be back possibly and many key parts will be another year older and closer to retirement. Regaurdless of what you or Bellick thinks some players are difficult to replace.