PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith

Skywalker
01-13-2006, 08:57 PM
this Buckeye really came on at the end of the year. I began liking him more and more.

I just want to know what you draft experts think of him?

WABronco
01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
this Buckeye really came on at the end of the year. I began liking him more and more.

I just want to know what you draft experts think of him?

Probably the same ol' same ol', ya know?

He's too short, inaccurate, poor arm strength, etc etc. I'm looking forward to see how he does next year though.

Skywalker
01-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Probably the same ol' same ol', ya know?

He's too short, inaccurate, poor arm strength, etc etc. I'm looking forward to see how he does next year though.

I think he'll improve on the inaccurate part....he can't help his height....he sure looked accurate to me in the ND game.....

WABronco
01-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I think he'll improve on the inaccurate part....he can't help his height....he sure looked accurate to me in the ND game.....

Lol, I don't know if he's an inaccurate passer. I was just crackin on some of the common points critics make. You know, there's guys like Brad Smith (or Reggie Ball, OhNo's personal fav) who can't hit a barn door, and guys like Vince Young who have tools to work with.

Momentum
01-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Troy Smith can make all of the throws and is pretty mobile for a QB. He's kinda short, but I think he can make it in the NFL. He will be huge next year. The Bucks might even win it all :D

jletourneau
01-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I haven't been a fan of those like Brad Smith, Chris Leak, etc., etc. at QB making the jump. Arm strength is typically the biggest question mark with height sometimes entering the mix as well.

But, I won't say for sure yet until I can see a full, healthy season with him as a starter, but compared to many others who have been similar to Troy and not made it, I think Troy's got what it takes to succeed at the next level. I would expect him to fall no farther than the 3rd round next year.

He's not the tallest, but he's a good leader, seems to have gotten some character issues under wraps, and has begun to show what a dynamic "passer" he has the potential to be.

xX-Bronco-Xx
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
That was because Ohio pretty much went long on most passing plays against a sluggish ND defense :ugh:

Skywalker
01-14-2006, 06:43 PM
That was because Ohio pretty much went long on most passing plays against a sluggish ND defense :ugh:

you still have to be accurate with the throw.....no matter how wide open they were :duh:

The thing with Troy Smith is that he's not a Brad Smith....he looks to throw first instead of run first. I would love to get him next year if its not like a 1st-rounder or something...

Bronco_In_Ohio
01-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Troy Smith has improved greatly on his accuracy since coming to OSU. He played QB in high school but actually was recruited as more of an athlete. Played some RB/WR/KR/QB as a redshirt Frosh. Got a chance at QB the next year and has been there ver since. Struggled early...But has really improved alot
The one thing he does not lack is Arm strength. This guy has a cannon. In fact I think he sometimes throws is way to hard. He could learn to work on his touch sometimes on those shorter throws.
When he first started playing QB at OSU he was always looking to run first then passs. He now looks pass until he has nothing then takes off. Also very good at geeting away in the pocket and then mak,ing a play throwing the ball.
The biggest thing wil be his height. I think he is listed at 6'1 but that's generous I think. In the Denver system though he could be good. Running that bootleg he could be very dangerous becasue he can still be a drop back passer.
I'd love him as a Bronco...But of course I'd love every Buckeye as a Bronco!!

MauriceClarett
01-16-2006, 07:25 AM
I too am a buckeye from Ohio and I think this kid has really matured as a quarterback. I too think he would look great in a Bronco uniform. :D :beer: :cheers:

West
01-16-2006, 11:09 AM
He'll be a 3rd-6th round pick at best next year in the draft. And he might not be drafted as a QB. I see him being another Antwan Randle El.

dogfish
01-19-2006, 05:49 PM
i watched some osu games this year, and his improvement from the beggining of the season to the end was tremendous. . . in the notre dame game, he really looked like a legit pro prospect to me-- the biggest thing was that he improved his mechanics, he was moving in the pocket like a QB, not a runner who might throw-- he was taking time to properly set his feet and step into his throws, and was much more accurate than earlier in the year-- his accuracy looked pretty good to me, he was hitting receivers in stride and putting the ball where it needed to go. . . he also just looked more composed in the pocket, i think he is really transforming from an ATHLETE into a QUARTERBACK, he was taking time to go through his reads before taking off, and he was looking to make time with his feet and then throw it, rather than just pulling it down and looking to take off. . . arm strength is NO problem. . . earlier this year, i would have said he wasn't much of a pro prospect at QB, but if he continues to develop next year, with his athletic ability and strong leadership (the other players love him), i think he can definitely be a first day pick-- probably not 1st round, but first day, absolutely.