PDA

View Full Version : Abraham trade immanent

WABronco
03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
"Abraham on way out

A trade of Jets defensive end John Abraham is "pretty much done," according to an NFL source, but that transaction along with many others by the Jets and other teams continued to be impacted by the league's growing labor crisis.

Details of the swap were sketchy -- the trading partner and what the Jets would get in return for dealing their disgruntled sackmaster were unspecified. But this much is known: An Abraham trade won't help the Jets get under the salary cap by today's 10 p.m. deadline.

By one accounting, the Jets are $11.1 million over the projected cap of $94.5 million, and a large portion of that figure is the $8.33 million for the franchise tag they pinned on Abraham for the second straight year.

But the Jets can't trade Abraham until the start of the NFL's new calendar year at midnight, meaning they must clear money by this afternoon in other ways.

They could do it by releasing center Kevin Mawae, guard Pete Kendall or both. Mawae is due to count slightly less than $4.5 million under the cap, Kendall slightly more. There are also talks aimed at reducing the cap figures of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and others.The Jets also will reluctantly allow tight end Chris Baker to become an unrestricted free agent Friday.

-- Randy Lange

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODg5NTM2"

Now, I got this off another board, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps it's a subscription piece...

More material:

--The Bergen Record has Abraham on the move, perhaps to Detroit or Denver, in exchange for a first-round pick, which would then be swapped, with the Jets' No.4 pick, to Houston for the top pick.

Champ>NFL
03-02-2006, 12:24 PM
As per my *source* (he's right 99% of the time), the Jets have traded John Abraham to Denver for either their 22nd OR 29th pick (he hasn't heard anything yet). The deal is done, however.

NEW INFO:

My *source* has confirmed that the Jets will be trading John Abraham to Denver in exchange for one of their first round picks. He says that although it is foggy, it should be for the 29th pick.

He is telling me that it could be announced today, but MOST LIKELY TOMORROW. He says that it will probably be announced with all of the other moves the Jets will make tomorrow.

-From a reiable source from the ign football board!!

Broncosfreak_56
03-02-2006, 12:26 PM
That would be awsome if it was official, but im not sure thats reliable, we dont have the cap space.

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2JmZnYmVs N2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2ODg5NTM2

Try this one.

With as much talk as there has been about the Broncos next targeting Abraham, and Mort's comments that these players the Broncos cut were leaving regardless, you can almost put two and two together and map the Broncos plan. What I don't get is that we haven't exactly created room to get him...

I sure hope it is us, but there are as many "yes's" as there are "no's" when looking for clues...

broncobuckeyes
03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
what about TO? we need some help on offense, i dont care about abraham bring so damn offense!!!!

WABronco
03-02-2006, 12:28 PM
As per my *source* (he's right 99% of the time), the Jets have traded John Abraham to Denver for either their 22nd OR 29th pick (he hasn't heard anything yet). The deal is done, however.

NEW INFO:

My *source* has confirmed that the Jets will be trading John Abraham to Denver in exchange for one of their first round picks. He says that although it is foggy, it should be for the 29th pick.

He is telling me that it could be announced today, but MOST LIKELY TOMORROW. He says that it will probably be announced with all of the other moves the Jets will make tomorrow.

Muahahahahaha, excellent......

I picked up a NY media report saying that Abraham will be dealt in the next few days as well, saying the trade is pretty much a done deal.

Frankly, I won't be jumping off a cliff if it is for the no. 29 (since we didn't have a suitable second rounder), but hopefully we'll be getting some extra pick compensation for giving up our first. Look at it this way: is there a better option available at no. 29 (one who is proven, established, and more talented)? Answer is no IMO...

robfra78
03-02-2006, 12:28 PM

NEW INFO:

I hope its true, we definitely need a passrushing DE, and Abrahams the best option out there.. but with us scrambling to get under the cap, is this possible??

The New Guy
03-02-2006, 12:29 PM

NEW INFO:

-From a reiable source from the ign football board!!Does this mean NO T.O.,THAT SUCKS

The New Guy
03-02-2006, 12:30 PM
what about TO? we need some help on offense, i dont care about abraham bring so damn offense!!!!PEOPLE WHO WANT JOHN ARE STUPID WE NEED TERRELL OWENS

WABronco
03-02-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2JmZnYmVs N2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2ODg5NTM2

Try this one.

With as much talk as there has been about the Broncos next targeting Abraham, and Mort's comments that these players the Broncos cut were leaving regardless, you can almost put two and two together and map the Broncos plan. What I don't get is that we haven't exactly created room to get him...

I sure hope it is us, but there are as many "yes's" as there are "no's" when looking for clues...

Agreed...

Maybe this means either Lepsis or Warren isn't coming back. A cap guy on the mane is saying that we will be approx. 12.5 mil under if we don't bring those two back together, so maybe it's just one of 'em.

Champ>NFL
03-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Look our O was fine but for like 3 years we have had no pass rush!! Imagine if we could get pressure on the Qb wwithout blitzing!! :jawdrop: :O

NeedDLinemen
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM

NEW INFO:

Firstly how do you anticipate that Denver can fit Abraham's $8.5m cap hit when they are only $900,000 under the cap at the moment, so he'd have to re-do a deal with the Jets and it'd be a sign and trade deal.

Secondly Clayton from ESPN has already stated the best the Jets will get is a second rounder.

I think your source is talking out his proverbial ass!!

Broncosfreak_56
03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
PEOPLE WHO WANT JOHN ARE STUPID WE NEED TERRELL OWENS
I great defence is a good offence all all we need to have a great defence is a dominant pass rusher. We can pick up chad jackson with our no. 22, he will be a good one.

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2006, 12:33 PM

Wow...I love the way you formulate an argument...You should be on the debate team or something...

To the thread starter: I don't know your source, nor will I attempt to discredit you, I just hope he is right.

I won't mind dropping pick 29 for John, as long as we work out a new deal for him. This paves the way for a top receiver or defensive tackle (Brunkley) at pick 22, with an outside chance at a surprise runner. If this deal does in fact go through, I will be overjoyed.

WABronco
03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Look our O was fine but for like 3 years we have had no pass rush!! Imagine if we could get pressure on the Qb wwithout blitzing!! :jawdrop: :O

If you're right (I'm following you blindly here), you will enter what is known as WAB's "top 5." That is all...

Champ>NFL
Firstly how do you anticipate that Denver can fit Abraham's $8.5m cap hit when they are only $900,000 under the cap at the moment, so he'd have to re-do a deal with the Jets and it'd be a sign and trade deal.

Secondly Clayton from ESPN has already stated the best the Jets will get is a second rounder.

I think your source is talking out his proverbial ass!!

well a 29th pick is pretty much a 2nd rounder.. duhh!

Grover

Just call me Stupid. :D

WABronco
03-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Wow...I love the way you formulate an argument...You should be on the debate team or something...

To the thread starter: I don't know your source, nor will I attempt to discredit you, I just hope he is right.

I won't mind dropping pick 29 for John, as long as we work out a new deal for him. This paves the way for a top receiver or defensive tackle (Brunkley) at pick 22, with an outside chance at a surprise runner. If this deal does in fact go through, I will be overjoyed.

Do ya think that NY may be throwing in an extra mid rounder or somethin', or is 29 straight up a good deal?

AdamantiumBronco
03-02-2006, 12:36 PM
please, god let this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :beer: :beer:

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Agreed...

Maybe this means either Lepsis or Warren isn't coming back. A cap guy on the mane is saying that we will be approx. 12.5 mil under if we don't bring those two back together, so maybe it's just one of 'em.

From what I understand regarding that situation, he sounds right. Remember that we can resign both players and watch our cap number lower! So while we may not get 12.5 million, even if we structure their new deals in a way that they both count around 3 mil. this year, that is still roughly 6 mil. in savings. We now just need some restructuring from other players...

Caliraiderhater
03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
on offence we were like 4th in ypg in 2004 and we were fifth in ypg this year! not to mention we did WAY better in the red zone than we did last year! so we are fine! BUT he is right our D is really good and we are a ball hawking D! now imagine if we could keep our safteys and linebackers running around in the field because we can get pressure on the QB without them! that means even more takeaways and sacks! it would be killer i hope we bring Abraham here!!!!!

GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeedDLinemen
03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
well a 29th pick is pretty much a 2nd rounder.. duhh!

What about the $8.5m cap hit, you think the fairies are gonna make that disappear?

broncobuckeyes
03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
no way were getting chad jackson, maybe santonio holmes. chad jackson may be faster than santonio but personnally i think santonio has more big game experience and more big plays than chad jackson. Forget chad jackson hes overrated from the combine, santonio is way better especially since he played for THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY

broncobuckeyes
03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
you guys act like abraham is that great. hes no simeon rice or julius peppers, heck i think trevor pryce is better than abraham, forget abraham we want TO

AdamantiumBronco
03-02-2006, 12:42 PM
you guys act like abraham is that great. hes no simeon rice or julius peppers, heck i think trevor pryce is better than abraham, forget abraham we want TO

LMAO ur funny

Jared
03-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Does this mean NO T.O.,THAT SUCKS

No, that would great.

Abraham would fill a desperate need with much less baggage, and for less money.

How does this suck?

WABronco
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Lol, yes it is some teenager reporting from his room, but it's a legit website...

http://jetstv.com/?p=38

And, here's the link to the IGN board...

http://boards.ign.com/football/b5105/111435425/p1/?21

RunYouOver
03-02-2006, 01:24 PM

PEOPLE WHO POST MESSAGES LIKE THAT ARE STUPID

:coffee:

dbjeff
03-02-2006, 01:25 PM
What about the $8.5m cap hit, you think the fairies are gonna make that disappear?

Are you under the impression the deal would be for 1 yr @ $8.5 mil (the franchise tender)? Obviously there is going to be a fair sized hit, but I wouldn't imagine it's going to be $8.5 mil.

NeedDLinemen
03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Are you under the impression the deal would be for 1 yr @ $8.5 mil (the franchise tender)? Obviously there is going to be a fair sized hit, but I wouldn't imagine it's going to be $8.5 mil.

There's no way this is happening until John signs a longer deal with the Jets and we'd have heard about that.

WABronco
03-02-2006, 01:40 PM
There's no way this is happening until John signs a longer deal with the Jets and we'd have heard about that.

You're right, and that takes at least a couple months.........

topscribe
03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
OH, STUPID ME!!

-----

WABronco
03-02-2006, 01:47 PM
OH, STUPID ME!!

-----

Count me in the "toopid" group as well...

Medford Bronco
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM

I must be Stupid as well. I would rather get the good DE. You can always get a WR in the Draft.

muse
03-02-2006, 02:47 PM
OH, STUPID ME!!

-----

Oh yeah, I'm in that club! Hey Top, how come I can't eat this soup with my fork. This is really unfair, what the hell am I doing wrong? :ugh: WhatdoIdowhatdoIdowhatdoIdo?

Champ>NFL
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I wasnt trying to sound stupid just informative!

Skywalker
03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
"Abraham on way out

A trade of Jets defensive end John Abraham is "pretty much done," according to an NFL source, but that transaction along with many others by the Jets and other teams continued to be impacted by the league's growing labor crisis.

Details of the swap were sketchy -- the trading partner and what the Jets would get in return for dealing their disgruntled sackmaster were unspecified. But this much is known: An Abraham trade won't help the Jets get under the salary cap by today's 10 p.m. deadline.

By one accounting, the Jets are $11.1 million over the projected cap of $94.5 million, and a large portion of that figure is the $8.33 million for the franchise tag they pinned on Abraham for the second straight year.

But the Jets can't trade Abraham until the start of the NFL's new calendar year at midnight, meaning they must clear money by this afternoon in other ways.

They could do it by releasing center Kevin Mawae, guard Pete Kendall or both. Mawae is due to count slightly less than $4.5 million under the cap, Kendall slightly more. There are also talks aimed at reducing the cap figures of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and others.The Jets also will reluctantly allow tight end Chris Baker to become an unrestricted free agent Friday.

-- Randy Lange

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODg5NTM2"

Now, I got this off another board, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps it's a subscription piece...

More material:

--The Bergen Record has Abraham on the move, perhaps to Detroit or Denver, in exchange for a first-round pick, which would then be swapped, with the Jets' No.4 pick, to Houston for the top pick.

oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please....

*prays on her hands and knees*

I've now heard from 3 people that we have traded for him...I sure hope its true....

Skywalker
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM

Count me in as well....

PEOPLE WHO WANT TERRELL ARE STUPID WE NEED JOHN ABRAHAM! :coffee:

Buff_bronc_fan
03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok, all you ESPN Insider crew, come forth for your CP's... I don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it... The headline says Rumor: Broncos clearing room for Abraham. I'd like to read what ESPN is saying before this thing gets done.

Skywalker
03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok, all you ESPN Insider crew, come forth for your CP's... I don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it... The headline says Rumor: Broncos clearing room for Abraham. I'd like to read what ESPN is saying before this thing gets done.

I just PMed Tatum26Bell...he has Insider! :beer:

plus he's nice and will post it for us ;)

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2006, 10:11 PM

It is just a re-quoting of this morning's Denver Post article. No news really, just trying to rile up fans to purchase insider...

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Let me get this straight... we can either sign a wide receiver who's a huge character risk, or fill our biggest need position with one of the best pass-rushing ends in the NFL, and you want the receiver?

yes indeed

WABronco
03-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Muhahahaha...

Abraham, Jets set to part ways
<Mar. 2> According to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, Abraham is ready to move on from the Jets and has already begun exploring his options.
"Right now we are in the process of not only looking at the Jets, but we are also looking at the possibility of a trade," Abraham's agent, Tony Agnone said. "We are exploring other possibilities along with the Jets. We feel John probably will not be back in New York."

Agnone has tried to contact every team in the league and there are four or five teams showing serious interest, but he has not started negotiations with those teams.

The feeling appears to be mutual as the Jets, who designated Abraham a franchise player for the second consecutive year, have been offering him in trade talks during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, and have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams.

While no deal appears imminent, the Redskins and Broncos have emerged as potential landing spots for the disgruntled defensive end.

The Broncos are looking to replace released DE Trevor Pryce might be Abraham, The Denver Post speculates, but it's doubtful the team will be able to accommodate Abraham's $8.33 million salary without making another round of cost-cutting moves.

According to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, the Jets were offering Abraham in trade talks during the NFL scouting combine. Although the Jets have discussed potential scenarios with a number of teams, it's believed the talks have not moved to the substantive stage with any suitors.

Among the teams with whom the Jets have spoken are the Redskins and the Broncos, reports Pasquarelli.

--Now wher's ma CP!

(jk, no worries)

Orange_Crush21
03-02-2006, 11:27 PM
And, here's the link to the IGN board...

http://boards.ign.com/football/b5105/111435425/p1/?21

Wow, reading the stuff on that board makes me appreciate this one even more.