PDA

View Full Version : The Beer thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I am a beer snob. A big one. I hate the crappy American lagers that get shoved down our throats with their multimillion dollar advertising blitzes.

Because I haven't seen a thread like this, I'll post one. What are the best beers that people might not have heard of? Any recommendations?

I'm personally a big fan of Bells brewery. They've got a great beer called "Double Cream Stout." It tastes like a really heavy porter. Good stuff if you haven't tried it.

Gyro
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I am a beer snob. A big one. I hate the crappy American lagers that get shoved down our throats with their multimillion dollar advertising blitzes.

Because I haven't seen a thread like this, I'll post one. What are the best beers that people might not have heard of? Any recommendations?

I'm personally a big fan of Bells brewery. They've got a great beer called "Double Cream Stout." It tastes like a really heavy porter. Good stuff if you haven't tried it.

lol, this all started because I said we had a party... :P

Amigo_Bronco
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
One of my favorites is Negra Modelo. It's a dark beer. Good stuff.

Gyro
03-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Like I said on a previous thread, I gotta go with my roots, Molson Canadian!! :beer:

GO CANADA! :rockon:

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 02:36 PM
One of my favorites is Negra Modelo. It's a dark beer. Good stuff.
One of the few Mexican beers out there that you don't have to put a lime in to make taste good. You ought to try Pacifico, too. Interesting lager. The lime helps, but it's still good without. :)

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Like I said on a previous thread, I gotta go with my roots, Molson Canadian!! :beer:

Molson's alright, but I don't trust any beer maker that makes an "ice" variety of beer. Beer should be filtered above freezing, IMO. :)

RoorRipper
03-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Coors Light. I drink to get a nice buzz going not to sit and admire the hops used or all that other superfluous stuff. If I cared that much i'd drink whine. Nasty beers are Keystone Light and that knockoff crap, Coors and Bud are not that bad.

Miller High Life, MGD, Coors Light, Blue Moon are my favorite but if I am partying I go strictly Coors Light.

Bronco_f1
03-06-2006, 02:57 PM

I don't drink beers, but I know people who have good taste about them

The best I can recommend you is Heineken :beer:

xX-Bronco-Xx
03-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Hmmm beer tastes bad but thats because the last time I've had beer was when I was 10 and that was on accident so idk.

oldustyballs
03-06-2006, 03:08 PM

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale
Celebrator Dopplebock
We have a microbrewery here in Nebraska called Emperium they make a beer called Dark Side that is really good. Its a vanilla porter. Burning Skye is pretty good too.

RoorRipper
03-06-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't drink beers, but I know people who have good taste about them

The best I can recommend you is Heineken :beer:
Heineken must be an acquired taste because from the beers i've drank I find it pretty damn nasty.

WhoDey, are you familiar with Blue Moon? If not, go buy it now.

oldustyballs
03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Heineken must be an acquired taste because from the beers i've drank I find it pretty damn nasty.

Blue Moon is the best wheat beer made. It tastes awesome with an orange slice in it.

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 03:19 PM

I am. If you have to put an orange slice in it for it to taste "right," it's not my cup of tea... er, beer. :)

I'm not a big fan of wheat beers. And I find Belgian whites to be unbelievably disagreeable to my palate. Give me dark beer any day of the week.

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale
Celebrator Dopplebock
We have a microbrewery here in Nebraska called Emperium they make a beer called Dark Side that is really good. Its a vanilla porter. Burning Skye is pretty good too.
All great recommendations! Celebrator is on my top 5 all time favorites. I love that stuff. No refridgeration required! :beer:

Emperium, eh? I'm not familiar with them, but that sounds pretty tasty. Vanilla porter... mmmm. Yum. If you've got a link, I wouldn't mind tracking them down to see if I can't get a case shipped out this way.

RoorRipper
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I am. If you have to put an orange slice in it for it to taste "right," it's not my cup of tea... er, beer. :)

I'm not a big fan of wheat beers. And I find Belgian whites to be unbelievably disagreeable to my palate. Give me dark beer any day of the week.
Ahhh man it's not even worth talking about it now. We do not see eye to eye when it comes to great beers.

"Black lager... This beer is really smooth"... YEA RIGHT. Absolutely disgusting is what it is.

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Ahhh man it's not even worth talking about it now. We do not see eye to eye when it comes to great beers.

"Black lager... This beer is really smooth"... YEA RIGHT. Absolutely disgusting is what it is.
Hey, not everyone is accustomed to the aggressive taste of a truly good beer. :)

Like I said in my original post, American lagers are definitely NOT what I like to drink. I'll kill a 12 of Miller Light every now and again, but that's when I'm drinking on the cheap. ;)

LordTrychon
03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey, not everyone is accustomed to the aggressive taste of a truly good beer. :)

Like I said in my original post, American lagers are definitely NOT what I like to drink. I'll kill a 12 of Miller Light every now and again, but that's when I'm drinking on the cheap. ;)
I'll try any beer, and I'm a card carrying member of the World Beer Tour at Old Chicagos... but it's pretty expensive to drink there. I do enjoy trying new tastes in beer, but I'm far from a snob...

We drink ALOT at my house... and there's 3 of us.... so we tend to buy 'Cheap' beer... but we enjoy it. That's what matters in the long run anyway, right?

RoorRipper
03-06-2006, 03:28 PM

The TRUE way to go! What do you think of High Life's? Thats my favorite drink during the day, at the pool, summertime, when its 100 degrees outside.

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 03:30 PM
The TRUE way to go! What do you think of High Life's? Thats my favorite drink during the day, at the pool, summertime, when its 100 degrees outside.
LOL! Okay, in that case, I guess I can deal with "the Champaigne of Beers" every now and again. :)

Gyro
03-06-2006, 03:33 PM
LOL! Okay, in that case, I guess I can deal with "the Champaigne of Beers" every now and again. :)

Best light beer is "Corona", love that stuff especially in the summer! :beer:

In-com-plete
03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm a pale ale fan myself. If I go out and some place has a pale ale draft, I'm all over that. Otherwise, Heineken or Killians or Sam Adams or Yuengling or Bass (which I just recently tried for the first time) is my choice. Another great beer is Majic Hat #9. Haven't had it in a bottle, just once draft and it was great.

If I'm drinking a bottled beer, I gotta take Corona. Lime or no lime it's the ****. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a very close second.

If I'm drinking a watered down beer, it's Miller Light.

Oh, and the wheat beers suck.

RoorRipper
03-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I change my vote to Red Stripe.

HOOOORAY BEER!!!!

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I change my vote to Red Stripe.

HOOOORAY BEER!!!!
Funniest. Marketing. Evar.

I freakin' love Red Stripe Commercials.

The responsibility commercial is the best. The Red Stripe guy convinces someone to give him his pants after the guy refuses to give up his car keys. "Hoooray Responsibility!"

Big Buck 1981
03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
WhoDey,

That Nebraska brewery is actually Empyrean Brewing Company (http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/). (link provided)

Here's the one you're after. Vanilla Porter (http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/Porter-bottle.jpg)

Fins4Life
03-06-2006, 03:57 PM
WhoDey,

That Nebraska brewery is actually Empyrean Brewing Company (http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/). (link provided)

Here's the one you're after. Vanilla Porter (http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/Porter-bottle.jpg)

What up BB :beer:

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
WhoDey,

Bah! Looks like they're only available in Nebraska right now. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait for them to get more popular.

oldustyballs
03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
WhoDey,

Thanks BB for doing that for me. :beer:

Who Dey I dont know if you get colorado beers out there but 1554 black ale by the makers of fat tire is good too.

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks BB for doing that for me. :beer:

Who Dey I dont know if you get colorado beers out there but 1554 black ale by the makers of fat tire is good too.
I can't say I've ever seen those around here. The main small breweries that we can get down here are all pretty much in Michigan and Northern Ohio.

Bells
Great Lakes
Kalamazoo
Flying Dog
...and a few others I can't remember

I gotta say, though. One of my favorite up-n-comers has got to be Stone Breweries. They've got a great product in Arrogant Bastard. They're right, it's not for everyone, but it's my kind of beer. If that's too crazy for you, pick up a pint 9 of their Imperial. It's really a tasty beer.

Drew303
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
My favorite beers are Coors Light(bottle) and Blue Moon(draft, with an orange).
I have been known to buy a case of "30 Stones"(keystone light) when I need to get a lot of beer for cheap.

biglenny
03-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I make my own here is one of my favs

8 lbs.. Amber Malt Extract
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Corn Sugar (priming)
OR
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (priming)

Grains:
Amount Type
1 lb. Cara-Pils Malt
1 lbs Medium Crystal Malt (120L)
1 lb Two Row Malt

Hops:
Amount Type
2/3 oz British Blend (bittering)
1/2 oz Fuggles (flavoring)
1/2 oz Fuggles (finishing)

Yeast: dry ale yeast, or Wyeast # 1007, 1728 or 1056, or White Labs WLP007, 028 or 029
Yeast nutrient (optional)
1 tbsp Burton Water Salts
Starting Gravity: 1.070
Ending Gravity: 1.015

Directions:

Make any water adjustments first. It is best to boil as much (up to 5 gallons) as your brew-pot will hold. Be careful not to overfill or cover your brew-pot when boiling, this will cause a boil over.

The use of a grain bag is highly recommended. Place grains in grain bag, and put into 160 degree water. Cover, turn fire off, let steep for 30 min. Remove grain bag and bring water to a boil. Turn off the heat (to prevent scorching), and mix in the malt extracts and any other adjuncts. When fully dissolved, turn the heat back on and return the wort to a rolling boil. Add the bittering hops, continue to boil for 50 min. Add the flavoring hops, continue to boil for 5 min. Add the finishing hops and continue to boil for 5 more min. The use of hop socks make the addition and removal of hops much easier.

After you have boiled your wort for a full 60 min, remove all hops and add water to reach 5 gallons. Cool to 75 degrees and add yeast nutrient and yeast. Shake your fermenter vigorously for 5 min. to aerate the wort. Remember, your yeast needs oxygen to live and grow. Attach the blow-off hose to the fermenter and place the other end into a container of water to form an air-lock. Rack into secondary fermenter after krueson has begun to subside.

Takes a little paitants but deff worth the wait.

Charlie Brown
03-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I hate grain beers. But I do like drinking the following:

Vodka (in general)
Absente (Absinthe)
Fraoch
Red Rum
Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum :)
Birra Moretti (only grain beer I like)

NJBRONCOSFAN
03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Coors light or Miller Lite is my beer of choice when tailgating or playing beirut.
Yeungling is my fav. American Beer.
Heineken is alright, but it's a little heavy for me.
Amstel Light is definitely my bottled bar beer of choice. Stella is up there as well.

16milehigh87
03-06-2006, 09:16 PM

I agree with you by going with your roots. I like a dark beer with a lot of body.It must be chilled to a cold 33 degrees. I rich frothy top. My favorite is A & W. I don't drink alcohol. So it's got to be Rootbeer........Hahahahaha :D

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I hate grain beers. But I do like drinking the following:

Vodka (in general)
Absente (Absinthe)
Fraoch
Red Rum
Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum :)
Birra Moretti (only grain beer I like)
Of the things you've named, the only beer on there that I like is the Fraoch. Heather ale is yet another top 5 choice for me.

Notice I said "only beer." ;)

I'm not a fan of Absente - I haven't tried the real stuff, and the crap that you can get here in the states isn't as good as Sambuca. Cap'n is awesome, though. One of the few liquors I can drink straight without wincing.

I'm not familiar with Moretti, though.

Charlie Brown
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Yea, I noticed you said 'Beer' WhoDay.

The only thing that really classifies as beer is Birra Moretti.

It's imported from Italy. Really good stuff. Next time you drop by the liquor store ya might wanna grab a bottle to try out. It's a really dark beer.

biglenny
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Of the things you've named, the only beer on there that I like is the Fraoch. Heather ale is yet another top 5 choice for me.

Notice I said "only beer." ;)

I'm not a fan of Absente - I haven't tried the real stuff, and the crap that you can get here in the states isn't as good as Sambuca. Cap'n is awesome, though. One of the few liquors I can drink straight without wincing.

I'm not familiar with Moretti, though.

ever had sailor jerrys navy rum?

bcbronc
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
of beers that are available 'every where', i give the nod to stella artois, guiness or killkenny (dont think that is how you spell it, but i give a little nod to south park).

but micro-brews, or better yet brew pubs, are the way to go. british columbia has 5 or 6 really solid micro breweries. shaftburry cream ale is one of my favourites. they also make a nice hemp ale, which is very dark and very yummy. sleemans honey brown (i dont think that is a micro brewery anymore) is also a personal favorite. okanagon springs has a lager called bavarian 1816 that is 'brewed to the bavarian purity law of 1816' that is quite tasty, especially for a lager. then for a bit of a novelty beer there is black bear ale. its hard to find, but it has blackberry juice in it. its a great summer patio beer.

i also am not into the wheat beers. i like the stouts and the bitters. especially when they are brewed on sight. i think im going to be hitting the canoe brew pub pretty quick now.

:beer:

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Yea, I noticed you said 'Beer' WhoDay.

The only thing that really classifies as beer is Birra Moretti.

It's imported from Italy. Really good stuff. Next time you drop by the liquor store ya might wanna grab a bottle to try out. It's a really dark beer.
Well, "ale" says "beer" to me. :)

I think I've had it before, but it's been a long time. Fortunately, we have a nice italian place that stocks all the major italian imports. I'll give it a shot next time I get a chance. If not then, we've got a major beer emporium in Northern Kentucky I can get it at for sure.

Thanks for the tip!

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
ever had sailor jerrys navy rum?
Can't say that I have. Do tell.

biglenny
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Can't say that I have. Do tell.

go to the package store get one or more bottels of sailor jerrys navy rum and some

****&bull ginger beer and limes

in a glass add ice 1 and a half shots of SJs navy rum and a lime wedge
we call this murkey water
:cheers: enjoy

WhoDeyBengals
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
go to the package store get one or more bottels of sailor jerrys navy rum and some

****&bull ginger beer and limes

in a glass add ice 1 and a half shots of SJs navy rum and a lime wedge
we call this murkey water
:cheers: enjoy
Ginger beer and rum together?

Interesting. That has potential. I'm copying this somewhere I can get to it this weekend. Thanks!

biglenny
03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Ginger beer and rum together?

Interesting. That has potential. I'm copying this somewhere I can get to it this weekend. Thanks!

dont forget the limes and make sure you use the good ginger beer a friend of mine tryed to use schwepps genger ale and was unimpressed but hes a cheap bugger so go figure :duh:

bcbronc
03-06-2006, 11:32 PM
dont forget the limes and make sure you use the good ginger beer a friend of mine tryed to use schwepps genger ale and was unimpressed but hes a cheap bugger so go figure :duh:

and it has to be dark rum. preferrably carribean. and ginger ale is NOTHING like ginger beer. you would think they would be similiar, but thats like comparing grape juice to wine. the ginger beer has to have some bite to it.

we call that a dark n stormy.

biglenny
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
and it has to be dark rum. preferrably carribean. and ginger ale is NOTHING like ginger beer. you would think they would be similiar, but thats like comparing grape juice to wine. the ginger beer has to have some bite to it.

we call that a dark n stormy.

gota use the sailor jerrys my friend
:D

bcbronc
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
gota use the sailor jerrys my friend

is it dark? im not familiar with it, but if it is dark then im sure it would be quite tasty! i usually go with appletons myself. mmmm-mmmmmm. :cheers:

Jared
03-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Sam Adams, most of the varieties are good.

Yuengling Lager, a PA and NJ fave, brewed at America's oldest brewery.

Moretti (from Italy). Pretty good, the wife likes it.

Boddington's (tap only....smoothest beer I have ever had. It's the, er...... creamy head).

Brewery Hill Caramel Porter (only available in parts of Northeast and Northcentral Pennsylvania, but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.)

Bellhaven (...because if it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!)

Karl Strauss (San Diego)

A number of Belgian lambics that I can neither spell or pronounce.

I do not remember the brewery, but the Yard House (or the ones in San Diego and Rancho Cucamonga, at least) carry something called "Purple Haze".

Firestone (Santa Barbara) has a Double Barrel Ale that's good for hanging with friends, but the Walker's Reserve. OH MY GOD! WhoDey, you would LOVE this. It's aged in oak, like wine.

http://www.firestonewalker.com/sections/firestonebeers/beers/walkers_reserve.html

Bottom line, if it is lighter than urine, I avoid it. And so should you.

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Words to live by! :beer:

Bellhaven is one of my more recent favorites. Recently, a chain of british places called simply "The Pub" have been springing up around the area. I had tried the pub draught in the can before, but the stuff on draft is just incredible. Easily one of my favorite Scottish brews.

I need to make a grocery list for this stuff - there have been a lot of good suggestions!

Big Buck 1981
03-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Sailor Jerry's is basically a higher proof version of Captain Morgan, costs less too. It's pretty good.

oldustyballs
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
I can't say I've ever seen those around here. The main small breweries that we can get down here are all pretty much in Michigan and Northern Ohio.

Bells
Great Lakes
Kalamazoo
Flying Dog
...and a few others I can't remember

I gotta say, though. One of my favorite up-n-comers has got to be Stone Breweries. They've got a great product in Arrogant Bastard. They're right, it's not for everyone, but it's my kind of beer. If that's too crazy for you, pick up a pint 9 of their Imperial. It's really a tasty beer.

Arrogant Bastard is freaking awesome. Can you get that in Ohio? If you can I hate you.jk The only place I have found it is California.

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Arrogant Bastard is freaking awesome. Can you get that in Ohio? If you can I hate you.jk The only place I have found it is California.
Yeah, all the good beer stores in Ohio and N.KY have all of the Stone line. I'm surprised that it's not national.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I'm conceited! ;)

oldustyballs
03-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Sam Adams, most of the varieties are good.

Yuengling Lager, a PA and NJ fave, brewed at America's oldest brewery.

Moretti (from Italy). Pretty good, the wife likes it.

Boddington's (tap only....smoothest beer I have ever had. It's the, er...... creamy head).

Brewery Hill Caramel Porter (only available in parts of Northeast and Northcentral Pennsylvania, but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.)

Bellhaven (...because if it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!)

Karl Strauss (San Diego)

A number of Belgian lambics that I can neither spell or pronounce.

I do not remember the brewery, but the Yard House (or the ones in San Diego and Rancho Cucamonga, at least) carry something called "Purple Haze".

Firestone (Santa Barbara) has a Double Barrel Ale that's good for hanging with friends, but the Walker's Reserve. OH MY GOD! WhoDey, you would LOVE this. It's aged in oak, like wine.

http://www.firestonewalker.com/sections/firestonebeers/beers/walkers_reserve.html

I absolutly love all of Sam Adams beers. I think its one of the best american breweries out there. I wish more people would try it instead of Coors, Miller or Bud. It just has so much more flavor than those piss-water beers.

I had a carmel porter out of Minnesota(cant remember the name of it) and it had an amazing after taste. Probably not as good as Brewery Hill though.

NJBRONCOSFAN
03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I know it's off topic, but dawgfan mentioned absinthe....great stuff! (but it gives me horrible heartburn)

x_predator89
03-07-2006, 09:33 AM

:beer: A Beer thread. My fancy has been struck. purple haze is good. If its the one I am thinking of its of a brewery named abita. My current favorite is Smithwicks, and Hoegarden, (unfiltered wheat).
I also agree with the looks like urine thing.
I hate many of the mass produced american beers. Does anyone frequent the great american beer festival?

Big Buck 1981
03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Guess I forgot to post this before, but I'm pretty simple when it comes to beer. I like Bud Light, Coors Light, or when I'm feeling "spendy", a little Corona or Michelob is high class living. If I'm looking to get straight-up drunk for cheap, you can't beat a few 40's of Miller High Life. :beer:

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
:beer: A Beer thread. My fancy has been struck. purple haze is good. If its the one I am thinking of its of a brewery named abita. My current favorite is Smithwicks, and Hoegarden, (unfiltered wheat).
I also agree with the looks like urine thing.
I hate many of the mass produced american beers. Does anyone frequent the great american beer festival?
One night I ordered a Hoegarden because I thought that the name sounded funny.

Belgian whites are not my thing. Too sweet! :cheeky:

Smithwicks, on the other hand, is some tasty stuff. :)

Charlie Brown
03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I really liked that Arrogant Bastard as well...

bcbronc
03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
i recently had a pint of a chocolate port. cant remember who brewed it, but it was one of the best beers i have ever had.

Jared
03-07-2006, 02:00 PM
i recently had a pint of a chocolate port. cant remember who brewed it, but it was one of the best beers i have ever had.

Young's makes a double chocolate stout. Maybe that?

It is interesting to have that cocoa/chocolate essence with no sugar.

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
May I just interject that I love this thread?

It's been said before, but HOOOOORAAAAAAAAAY BEEEER. :beer:

bcbronc
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM

i cant remember. i just saw 'chocolate' and was sold. i was surprised just how well beer and cocoa works together. its just a nice chocolately finish without being sweet or overbearing.

NJBRONCOSFAN
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
regardless of political affiliation, we can all agree....

Beer is delicious! :D

Big Buck 1981
03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
regardless of political affiliation, we can all agree....

Beer is delicious! :D

And it's a food group! Liquid bread baby!!! :beer:

broncolitis
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I vote no beer at all. I like to keep my liver in tact.

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I vote no beer at all. I like to keep my liver in tact.
Well, now we know how they roll in Beaver ;)

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Of COURSE it's a food group! (http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/519/)

Big Buck 1981
03-07-2006, 03:16 PM
You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to WhoDeyBengals again.

Nice find, I'll shoot a CP your way when I can.

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Nice find, I'll shoot a CP your way when I can.
No big deal, man. I'm sure you'll get me back at some point. Funny side note - you got my last one of the day, and here I am sitting at 190 with no more to bribe the big contributors! ;)

NJBRONCOSFAN
03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
This is the only pyramid i live by....

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/mke/img/jun05/foodpyramid23_big.jpg

WhoDeyBengals
03-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Remind me I owe you a CP at some point. I can't give anymore today. :(

oldustyballs
03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
another good dark beer(kinda funny name too) is Moose Drool from Montana.

http://www.bigskybrew.com/index.php/fuseaction/home.beers

Have not had any of their other beers but would like to try.

dogfish
03-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Whodey, you sly dog, why didn't you tell me there was a beer thread?! this is as much my natural home as the "talkin' smack" forum is yours. . .

fellas, there's a REAL beer snob in the house now!

j/k! but i am a snob on the subject. . .

whodey, props to you for mentioning the best brewery discussed in this thread, which is Stone. . . they rock! the russian imperial stout is indeed tasty stuff. . . and the Ruination IPA is awesome-- very funky hops with a stronger barley flavor than most IPAs. . . definitely an imperial. their anniversary ales are also really good. . . and if you guys like the arrogant bastard, you need to rush out and grab a bottle of the double bastard, it's even better-- and make sure you read the diatribe on the back of the bottle, it's hilarious. . . ahh, Stone-- i love 'em because they're hopheads like yours truly. . .

and now, allow me to introduce you guys to the best brewery in the world imo. . . Dogfish Head (http://www.dogfish.com/) in milton, deleware!! that's right, i got my MB name from my favorite brewery-- shows ya where my priorities are, huh? i have tried at least 600-700 beers if not more, and these are the best around. . . better than any european imports that i've had-- german, belgian, anything! better than the best american micros. . . made with premium ingredients (organic whenever possible), and very interesting recipes, they are all intensely flavorful and very interesting. . .

for fans of brown ales, they make the best brown ever brewed, indian brown-- as rich and thick as a porter, it's still sweet and creamy, with coffe notes and an extra dose of hops that gives it a clean, bitter finish. . . immort ale is a dark amber ale brewed with maple syrup and vanilla, and aged in oak barrels. . . extremely sweet and rich, with a complex, earthy flavor. . . midas touch is one of the most interseting beers you will find-- it is almost more of a mead than a beer, it's brewed with barley, honey and grapes. . . very crisp and dry. . . and their IPAs are the best ever!! the 90 minute IPA is the standard, an imperial IPA that is very strong and satisfying. . . and the "hopheads holy grail" is the 120 minute IPA!!

Dogfish Head beers are the cream of the crop-- you will find them to be very expensive, but for the true beer lover, they are worth it!! it is strong stuff, ranging in ABV from 7.2% to a whopping 23.5% -- most of their beers are around 10-11%, plenty stiff. . .

for those in the denver area, you can get Dogfish Head at liquor mart on s. colorado, on the west side of the street across from the wild oats and EMS, in the strip mall with king soopers. . . or at the Wine Company on s. university next to the wild oats. . .

Whodey, i did a little research for ya-- to get Dogfish Head in cincy, call cavalier distributing (513-247-9222)-- i talked to 'em and they said you should call and tell 'em where you live, they can direct you to the closest retailer that handles the line. . . you want to make that call-- TRUST ME!

i'm also a little surprised that no one has mentioned Avery Brewing (www.averybrewing.com/Home) in boulder-- colorado's best brewery! their standard production lines are decent, but their big bottle singles are where they are outstanding. . . the reverend especially, which is a belgian style quadruple. . . they do lots of belgians. their special editions are some of the best beers ever brewed-- the czar is one of my all-time favorites. it's a russian imperial stout that's even better than the one by Stone. . . seriously complex and intense, it's a beer that should be served at cellar temperature so you can taste all of the different notes, including mocha, toffe and anise-- the best stout i have ever tried, period! their maharaja IPA is awesome, and the kaiser imperial ocktoberfest is a great beer too-- massive malt flavor with a nice finish of spicy, floral hops. and the beast-- WOOOO!! their grand cru, it's brewed with at least six different grains including barley and wheat, honey malt, molasses, belgian candy sugar, raisins, six kinds of hops, the kitchen sink-- and some other stuff that i can't remember right now! my favorite beer brewed after the 120 IPA, the Beast is truly a monster-- the most complex beer i have ever tried, and it's 18% ABV!

these beers are also available at liquor mart-- whodey, call premium beverage (614-275-4282). . . i wasn't able to get ahold of them, but i'm sure they must be in cincy somewhere. . .

alright fellas, that's enough for the moment-- now go out and treat yourselves!!

The Dark Knight
03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
This girl I know brought me back some Beers that from Scotland that were pretty good.

Tennent's Special Ale I think the name was.

It was some of the best beer I've tasted.

dogfish
03-09-2006, 10:17 AM

probably the best chocolate stout that i've tried. . . very sweet and rich, and as smooth as a stout can be. . . pleasnat aftertaste. . . this is a chocolate stout that is actually made with real choclate, as is the rougue chocolate (brewed in oregon). . .

some so-called chocolate stouts actually aren't brewed with real chocolate, but rather with chocolate malt, which is barley that's kiln-toasted to a dark color. . . for example the brooklyn brewery dark chocolate stout, which is actually a russian-style imperial stout. . . and doesn't taste like chocolate at all!

also, one of my personal favorites, the english stout mackeson triple stout-- it's the english style of "sweet stout," and is also a "lactose stout, which is brewed with lactose (milk sugar) as a brewing adjunct in addition to the barley. the mack has a sweeter flavor than, say, guiness, but finishes off with a nice clean roastiness. . . another excellent lactose stout that's brewed in colorado is the left hand milk stout. . . and the japanese brewery hitachino brews a lacto-sweet stout that is also very good. . .

BANJOPICKER1
03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I like whatever is on sale..Hamms,Miller or even Busch,,I dont care..Just as long is there are 12 of them for no more than 6 bucks or so,then I am happy..

WhoDeyBengals
03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Whodey, you sly dog, why didn't you tell me there was a beer thread?! this is as much my natural home as the "talkin' smack" forum is yours. . .

whodey, props to you for mentioning the best brewery discussed in this thread, which is Stone. . . they rock! the russian imperial stout is indeed tasty stuff. . . and the Ruination IPA is awesome-- very funky hops with a stronger barley flavor than most IPAs. . . definitely an imperial. their anniversary ales are also really good. . . and if you guys like the arrogant bastard, you need to rush out and grab a bottle of the double bastard, it's even better-- and make sure you read the diatribe on the back of the bottle, it's hilarious. . . ahh, Stone-- i love 'em because they're hopheads like yours truly. . .

and now, allow me to introduce you guys to the best brewery in the world imo. . . Dogfish Head (http://www.dogfish.com/) in milton, deleware!! that's right, i got my MB name from my favorite brewery-- shows ya where my priorities are, huh? i have tried at least 600-700 beers if not more, and these are the best around. . . better than any european imports that i've had-- german, belgian, anything! better than the best american micros. . . made with premium ingredients (organic whenever possible), and very interesting recipes, they are all intensely flavorful and very interesting. . .

for fans of brown ales, they make the best brown ever brewed, indian brown-- as rich and thick as a porter, it's still sweet and creamy, with coffe notes and an extra dose of hops that gives it a clean, bitter finish. . . immort ale is a dark amber ale brewed with maple syrup and vanilla, and aged in oak barrels. . . extremely sweet and rich, with a complex, earthy flavor. . . midas touch is one of the most interseting beers you will find-- it is almost more of a mead than a beer, it's brewed with barley, honey and grapes. . . very crisp and dry. . . and their IPAs are the best ever!! the 90 minute IPA is the standard, an imperial IPA that is very strong and satisfying. . . and the "hopheads holy grail" is the 120 minute IPA!!

Dogfish Head beers are the cream of the crop-- you will find them to be very expensive, but for the true beer lover, they are worth it!! it is strong stuff, ranging in ABV from 7.2% to a whopping 23.5% -- most of their beers are around 10-11%, plenty stiff. . .

for those in the denver area, you can get Dogfish Head at liquor mart on s. colorado, on the west side of the street across from the wild oats and EMS, in the strip mall with king soopers. . . or at the Wine Company on s. university next to the wild oats. . .

Whodey, i did a little research for ya-- to get Dogfish Head in cincy, call cavalier distributing (513-247-9222)-- i talked to 'em and they said you should call and tell 'em where you live, they can direct you to the closest retailer that handles the line. . . you want to make that call-- TRUST ME!

i'm also a little surprised that no one has mentioned Avery Brewing (www.averybrewing.com/Home) in boulder-- colorado's best brewery! their standard production lines are decent, but their big bottle singles are where they are outstanding. . . the reverend especially, which is a belgian style quadruple. . . they do lots of belgians. their special editions are some of the best beers ever brewed-- the czar is one of my all-time favorites. it's a russian imperial stout that's even better than the one by Stone. . . seriously complex and intense, it's a beer that should be served at cellar temperature so you can taste all of the different notes, including mocha, toffe and anise-- the best stout i have ever tried, period! their maharaja IPA is awesome, and the kaiser imperial ocktoberfest is a great beer too-- massive malt flavor with a nice finish of spicy, floral hops. and the beast-- WOOOO!! their grand cru, it's brewed with at least six different grains including barley and wheat, honey malt, molasses, belgian candy sugar, raisins, six kinds of hops, the kitchen sink-- and some other stuff that i can't remember right now! my favorite beer brewed after the 120 IPA, the Beast is truly a monster-- the most complex beer i have ever tried, and it's 18% ABV!

these beers are also available at liquor mart-- whodey, call premium beverage (614-275-4282). . . i wasn't able to get ahold of them, but i'm sure they must be in cincy somewhere. . .

alright fellas, that's enough for the moment-- now go out and treat yourselves!!
dogfish, I definitely will look into the Avery line that you recommended. The Czar is definitely the most intriguing of your suggestions (I love imperial stouts!!!). The distributor you mentioned has a Columbus exchange, so I'll give them a shout when I get off work (probably a bad idea mail ordering beer from the office!).

Check your PM's. And I owe you a CP.

Great post, dogfish!!!

oldustyballs
03-09-2006, 11:21 AM

I always wanted to try their brews, but they dont ship anywhere close to Omaha. :sad:

I was also wondering if that wasnt where your name came from.

dogfish
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
dogfish, I definitely will look into the Avery line that you recommended. The Czar is definitely the most intriguing of your suggestions (I love imperial stouts!!!). The distributor you mentioned has a Columbus exchange, so I'll give them a shout when I get off work (probably a bad idea mail ordering beer from the office!).

Check your PM's. And I owe you a CP.

Great post, dogfish!!!

only if they catch you!!
:laugh: :laugh:

dogfish
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I always wanted to try their brews, but they dont ship anywhere close to Omaha. :sad:

I was also wondering if that wasnt where your name came from.

that's too bad. . . if you ever get a chance, check 'em out-- you won't be disappointed!

biglenny
03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
At least i think thats how you spell it

this is a style of beer that I made a few weeks ago that is ready to drink tonight you make it like any other amber ale but before you boil your grains you smoke the crytal malt for a bit. then proceed like any other beer man im tellin you it is goooood!

Reidman
03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Oh I know this one. Rogue brewery. We have that here. This area is synonymous for micro beers.

My favorite is India Pale Ales (Bridgeport brand in particular) The tend to have a very strong hoppy flavor which I could just sit and swill in my mouth for hours.

I do like porters and stouts but they tend not to agree with my stomach very well and I'm usually paying for it the next morning.

WhoDeyBengals
03-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Oh I know this one. Rogue brewery. We have that here. This area is synonymous for micro beers.

My favorite is India Pale Ales (Bridgeport brand in particular) The tend to have a very strong hoppy flavor which I could just sit and swill in my mouth for hours.

I do like porters and stouts but they tend not to agree with my stomach very well and I'm usually paying for it the next morning.
Arrogant Bastard's actually made by Stone, but I'm glad you brought up Rogue, because I am a fan of their beers. The Dead Guy Ale is actually really good, and it's pretty popular around here. We've even got a couple places around here that have it on tap.

Reidman
03-09-2006, 09:52 PM

I live by this pyramid! (http://www.pyramidbrew.com/home.php)

Reidman
03-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Arrogant Bastard's actually made by Stone, but I'm glad you brought up Rogue, because I am a fan of their beers. The Dead Guy Ale is actually really good, and it's pretty popular around here. We've even got a couple places around here that have it on tap.
Thanks whodey, I stand corrected. I think I thought Rogue made it because the labeling has a similar style to it.....

Dead guy ale is good. I like it's strong, malty flavor. Anything with bite is for me!

dogfish
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM

rogue is a pretty good brewery-- their best beer that i've tried is the brutal bitter, which may be the best bitter i've had. . . they describe it as an "imperial bitter," and it is pretty strong-- hoppier than your average bitter, but very smooth and drinkable, with some intense grapefruit notes. . . YUMMY!

they brew so many beers, i've only had a few of 'em, but the hazelnut brown is decent (a little too sweet for my taste), and the chocolate stout, as previously mentioned, is good. . .

dogfish
03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Its funny, this one bar I go, to the bartender would ring a bell if you ordered a Coors, Coors light, Budweiser etc... They have some really great beers on tap, you better not order a Budweiser while you're there.

Me, I like alot of different types of beer, but anything with a heavy malt flavor is what I really go after.

you definitely want to try the avery kaiser that i mentioned in my earlier post-- another super malty beer is the german EKU 28, see if you can find that one-- really sweet, caramelly malt flavor.

dogfish
03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks!

Im gonna go through this thread and make one really good beer run to the store :laugh:

better take your credit card-- and make sure you've got the next day off work!
:laugh:

oldustyballs
03-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Somebody should make a list of all the beers people listed in this thread.

This way we can all crab our credit cards make a run to the store and get soiled this weekend on some new beers. :beer:

broncolitis
03-10-2006, 12:35 PM
I hate beer. I have never had it but it has killed several of my relatives and I never got to meet them because of it!

WhoDeyBengals
03-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I hate beer. I have never had it but it has killed several of my relatives and I never got to meet them because of it!
I don't think you're going to talk anyone in this thread into quitting their beer habits. Besides, you're too young. Anything in excess can kill you.

I love beer!!! :beer:

Gyro
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't think you're going to talk anyone in this thread into quitting their beer habits. Besides, you're too young. Anything in excess can kill you.

Amen to that!

Beer rocks, haven't you ever heard the beer song!? :beer:

broncolitis
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM

I will still never taste it!

WhoDeyBengals
03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Amen to that!

Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

That's it, right? :)

NJBRONCOSFAN
03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
When I was 17
I had some very good beer
I had some very good beer
That I purchased
With a fake ID
My name was Brian McGee
I stayed up listening to Queen
When I was 17

biglenny
03-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Amen to that!

How about "Beee double E double r u n beer run"

biglenny
03-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I will still never taste it!

Thats ok leaves more for ME

WhoDeyBengals
03-24-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm posting to bump the beer thread :)

I had a great beer over the weekend that I think you all need to try. Yeti Oak Aged Stout. I have never had a stout like this before. It had a brown head, and it was one of the roastiest beers I've ever had (roasty = good, IMO). Definitely look it up.

Here's its Beer Advocate Profile page. (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/19216/)

dogfish
03-24-2006, 01:25 PM

I had a great beer over the weekend that I think you all need to try. Yeti Oak Aged Stout. I have never had a stout like this before. It had a brown head, and it was one of the roastiest beers I've ever had (roasty = good, IMO). Definitely look it up.

Here's its Beer Advocate Profile page. (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/19216/)

nice work whodey-- i was just thinking about posting something to bring this thread back to life. . .

i've seen the yeti, but i've never tried it-- maybe i will now sometime. . . i agree with you that roasty is good-- my favorite roasty stout is mackeson, the english triple stout. . . . it's a lactose stout, very dark and sweet, and the roastiness gives it a nice clean finish.

the bell's best brown ale is also very roasty, much more so than any other brown i've had-- fairly light for a brown and very drinkable. . . .

this past weekend i had one of the most intense beers i've ever tried. . . a new one from avery, the bottle was marked batch #1, january of this year-- the mephistopheles stout! lived up to the name! sweet with an overwhelming barley flavor, strong and almost syrupy. . . very rich aftertaste-- a real kick in the teeth! and it should be, as it's an exremely stiff 15% abv. . . i highly recommend it!

i've also got a few new-to-me brews in the fridge right now, so i'll be sharing those sometime soon. . . .

:beer: :beer:

edit: have you ever tried the weyerbacher heresey? it's an oak-aged imperial stout. . . personally i wasn't a huge fan of it, but if you like oak-aged stouts you may like it better than i did-- the oak flavor was a little overwhelming for me, it gave kind of a funky bitterness that i didn't like as well as the crisp, clean bitterness of hops. . . my favorite oak-aged beer is the immort ale i was telling you about, and even that one i like to cellar for about a year to let the oak notes mellow a little. . . dogfish also did a limited edition oak-aged IPA, burton baton, and i've got a six of those aging in my basement right now. . .

dogfish also makes a chicory stout which you might like-- it's made with roasted chicory root and mexican coffee, very rich witha white head and an earthy, rooty flavor. . . dry, not very sweet-- and actually not one of the stronger stouts that i've tried. . . mild but pleasant.

i also just tried the bell's double cream stout, which lived up to it's name. . .

armedequation
03-24-2006, 01:35 PM
two different kinds that rock:

Chimey
Allegash

dogfish
03-24-2006, 02:07 PM
two different kinds that rock:

Chimey
Allegash

i've never had the allegash. . .

as for chimay (sp?). . . i'm only lukewarm on the belgians. some of them i really like a lot, and some of them i just don't. . . obviously a personal preference thing, but belgians overall just aren't one of my favorite styles. i've tried several of the chimays, and only rate them as mediocre-- they're good, but certainly didn't blow me away. . . i honestly thought they were pretty average as far as belgians go, pretty spicey but without the complex grain flavors that my favorite belgians have. . . sometimes the spiciness of the belgians is a little strong for me, it can cover up the flavor of the other ingredients, which i don't like. . .

as far as true belgians go, my favorites are tripel karmeliet and affligem, both the dubbel and the tripel. . . . i describe tripel karmeliet as the "champagne of beers" because it is light, sweet and extremely carbonated, the sweetness from the three grains (it is a true tripel, with barley, oats, and wheat) is very apparent and gives it a mild fruitiness. . . the affligems are extraordinarily rich and complex, especially the dubbel, which is the darker of the two (dubbels are generally brewed with dark belgian candi sugar, whereas the tripels are brewed with light candi sugar-- both forms are made from beets originally). . . the affligem tripel, one of my very favorite beers, is incredibly fruity with a great aftertaste. . . the affligems are bottle-conditioned and highly carbonated, and should be served at cellar temperature to fully enjoy the flavor. . . . highly recommended!!

armedequation
03-24-2006, 02:14 PM
i've never had the allegash. . .

as for chimay (sp?). . . i'm only lukewarm on the belgians. some of them i really like a lot, and some of them i just don't. . . obviously a personal preference thing, but belgians overall just aren't one of my favorite styles. i've tried several of the chimays, and only rate them as mediocre-- they're good, but certainly didn't blow me away. . . i honestly thought they were pretty average as far as belgians go, pretty spicey but without the complex grain flavors that my favorite belgians have. . . sometimes the spiciness of the belgians is a little strong for me, it can cover up the flavor of the other ingredients, which i don't like. . .

as far as true belgians go, my favorites are tripel karmeliet and affligem, both the dubbel and the tripel. . . . i describe tripel karmeliet as the "champagne of beers" because it is light, sweet and extremely carbonated, the sweetness from the three grains (it is a true tripel, with barley, oats, and wheat) is very apparent and gives it a mild fruitiness. . . the affligems are extraordinarily rich and complex, especially the dubbel, which is the darker of the two (dubbels are generally brewed with dark belgian candi sugar, whereas the tripels are brewed with light candi sugar-- both forms are made from beets originally). . . the affligem tripel, one of my very favorite beers, is incredibly fruity with a great aftertaste. . . the affligems are bottle-conditioned and highly carbonated, and should be served at cellar temperature to fully enjoy the flavor. . . . highly recommended!!

I only like darker beers, or beers with good flavor. Im just starting to get into beers now (was and still am a jack fan). So I am trying out new things. Thanks for the heads up on some belgians :beer:

dogfish
03-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I only like darker beers, or beers with good flavor. Im just starting to get into beers now (was and still am a jack fan). So I am trying out new things. Thanks for the heads up on some belgians :beer:

no prob-- if you like darker beers, you should definitely try the affligem dubbel, and possibly look for westmalle's dubbel as well. . .

i also highly recommend looking for the dogfish head indian brown that i mentioned in my first post in this noble thread. . . by far the best dark ale i've ever tried!

you should also try some porters-- porter is a dark, sweet beer, almost as dark as stout but generally not as dry and bitey, and not as thick and heavy. . . still tends to be rich and satisfying though. . . if you're a whiskey fan porter should be a style you'll enjoy. . . several good ones include bell's porter, deschutes brewery's black butte porter, left hands blackjack porter, and my personal favorite, anchor porter from anchor brewery in san francisco!

speaking of anchor (best known for their anchor steam lager), my best friend and his girl are out in san fran right now touring the brewery-- i'll give everyone a report once i hear from them. . . anyone on here like anchor? they're one of the american breweries that i like a lot-- the anchor steam is good for a lager, their seasonals are always good, and as i said, the porter is proably my favorite beer of that style. . .

edit: st. peter's english porter is also very good. . . one of the smoothest porters i've had, not particularly robust, goes down easy and has a nice aftertaste. . .

Broncs Bomber
03-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Yous guys are gonna kill me for this, but I am gonna defend this to the death....

A nice cold Budweiser - From a tap - not a bottle/can - is by far my favorite. When it comes to bottled beers, Yuengling Lager (Pennsylvania) has a nice flavor that's not overpowering or bitter.

MTRaiderHater
03-24-2006, 04:09 PM

WHO DEY! CP to you for starting and bumping this thread! I read every word, and have made my shopping list for the next few months (I'm still a poor college student w/ a fam!).

I just wanted to represent the Northern Rockies and the Northwest a bit!

1. Fat Bastard from the Silver City Brewery (http://www.silvercitybrewery.com/), in Silverdale, WA. Great Dark Beer, finishes smooth. Everything there was great. Get the onion rings too. They're made from Wala wala Onions!

2. The Terminator Stout and the Hammerhead Pale Ale from McMenamins Brew Pubs in Portland, Oregon. Basically anything from here rocks too.

3. Bozone Amber Ale, only available here on tap, sorry guys, at Bozeman Brewing Company (http://www.bozemanbrewing.com/Select_Amber_Ale.htm).

4. Mirror Pond Pale Ale (Draught) but the bottle (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/5830.aspx) has to do here in MT.

5. Red Lodge Hefeweizen, brewed by a Bozeman guy in Red Lodge MT (http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordId=14452&SiteId=1).

6. Anything From Full Sail Brewing Co. (http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/brewmastersmore.cfm) in Hood River, Oregon.

This kind of thread kicks political thread butt any day of the week! :beer:

EDIT: Also, if you're in Portland, there is a great British Pub called the Horse Brass, check it out if you can.

dogfish
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
WHO DEY! CP to you for starting and bumping this thread! I read every word, and have made my shopping list for the next few months (I'm still a poor college student w/ a fam!).

I just wanted to represent the Northern Rockies and the Northwest a bit!

1. Fat Bastard from the Silver City Brewery (http://www.silvercitybrewery.com/), in Silverdale, WA. Great Dark Beer, finishes smooth. Everything there was great. Get the onion rings too. They're made from Wala wala Onions!

2. The Terminator Stout and the Hammerhead Pale Ale from McMenamins Brew Pubs in Portland, Oregon. Basically anything from here rocks too.

3. Bozone Amber Ale, only available here on tap, sorry guys, at Bozeman Brewing Company (http://www.bozemanbrewing.com/Select_Amber_Ale.htm).

4. Mirror Pond Pale Ale (Draught) but the bottle (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/5830.aspx) has to do here in MT.

5. Red Lodge Hefeweizen, brewed by a Bozeman guy in Red Lodge MT (http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordId=14452&SiteId=1).

6. Anything From Full Sail Brewing Co. (http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/brewmastersmore.cfm) in Hood River, Oregon.

This kind of thread kicks political thread butt any day of the week! :beer:

EDIT: Also, if you're in Portland, there is a great British Pub called the Horse Brass, check it out if you can.

hmmm. . . not familiar with most of these-- i'd swear i've had the fat bastard, but i can't remember for sure. . . i believe full sail was served at one of the bars i used to go to in boulder-- i think it was an ale of some kind, and was pretty solid. . .

the mirror pond pale ale is good, very smooth and crisp-- i mentioned deschutes' black butte porter in an earlier post, and i like their IPA also. . . overall a good brewery! what else do they brew?

also-- do you like rogue?

MTRaiderHater
03-24-2006, 04:30 PM
i mentioned deschutes' black butte porter in an earlier post, and i like their IPA also. . . overall a good brewery! what else do they brew?

also-- do you like rogue?

I've yet to try Rogue, but from what everyone here has said about it, I think it would be right up my alley.

Deschutes Brewing Co. brews several great beers, check out their website! I tried one of their seasonals (the Jubilale winter brew, but I didn't like it at all.) They have one called the Obsidian Stout, that one is great. They're in Bend, OR, and my friends in Bend go to their Brew Pub, food's great, beer's the best on tap there.

13 He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;
the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work.

14 He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate—
bringing forth food from the earth:

15 wine that gladdens the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine,
and bread that sustains his heart.

Psalm 104:15

Bronco Debbie
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna walk myself down to the local dive and get either a Fat Tire (we just started getting it in So. Cal) or a Newcastle. San Diego has some decent beer: Stone and Karl Strauss (esp. the Red Trolley ale), but the Tire is a sentimental favorite. Someday I'll go to Ireland and have a proper pint of Guinness.

For a strong beer with a kick, I like Old Rasputin.

dogfish
03-24-2006, 10:29 PM
After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna walk myself down to the local dive and get either a Fat Tire (we just started getting it in So. Cal) or a Newcastle. San Diego has some decent beer: Stone and Karl Strauss (esp. the Red Trolley ale), but the Tire is a sentimental favorite. Someday I'll go to Ireland and have a proper pint of Guinness.

For a strong beer with a kick, I like Old Rasputin.

it's been a while since i drank one of the rasputins, but i remember it being pretty strong, as you would expect from a russian style imperial stout. . . if you like that, you should look for the avery czar that i mentioned in my initial post-- best imperial stout i've ever had! you should definitely be able to find the stone imperial stout, which is also very good. . . baltica may also make an imperial, and they seem to be widely available. . . now i'm getting thirsty also!!

dogfish
03-25-2006, 01:22 AM
OK, i'm halfway through a beer that i've never had before, so i'll share it here-- gotta keep this thread current, right whodey?

it's jah-va imperial coffee stout-- the name is a pun because it's brewed with jamaican blue mountain coffee, LOL! it's from southern tier brewery in lakewood new york, and it's the first beer of theirs that i've tried. . .

pretty damn good! the coffee flavor is more pronounced than in any other coffe beer i've had before-- definitely gives it a distinct, roasted earthy flavor that goes well with the barley. . . says on the bottle that they use roasted, chocolate, and black patent malt in addition to the regular pale and caramel malts and the hops and coffee. . . i love beers that list their ingredients! it's also 12% abv, pretty decent!

definitely a quality brew, dark and rich, and more interesting than your average stout. . . for those who like stouts and dark beers in general, i would recommend this one. . .

KCLadyFan
03-25-2006, 01:33 AM

me too WhoDey...I drink long neck Bud...so good when its realy cold...

my hubby drinks beer that I can't pronounce it...let alone spell it...lol...

SeekandDestroy
03-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I've always liked Fat Tire!

dogfish
03-27-2006, 01:28 AM
i WILL keep this noble thread alive! little help would be appreciated though, i don't wanna sound like a total alchy just 'cause i like my brew. . . :heh:

in any case, i'm enjoying another new beer and thought i would share it. . . another southern tier, this one is called unearthly, it's their imperial IPA. . .

surprisingly mild for an IPA, very smooth and drinkable-- actually one of the mellower IPAs i've had, it's got very intense hop flavor but without the usual bitterness (this is accomplished by adding more hops later in the boil, i believe). . . layer upon layer of hops, but it lacks the bite of a truly assertive IPA (such as the avery maharaja, which i drank last weekend-- one of the most bitter beers i've ever had). . .

really sweet, distinctive barley flavor, especially the after taste-- without the bitterness, the hop flavor just doesn't linger as much as a normal IPA. . .

overall, pretty darn good-- probably won't be a favorite for the true hophead, but this is an IPA that's perfect for those who aren't generally big IPA fans. . .

WhoDeyBengals
03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
i WILL keep this noble thread alive! little help would be appreciated though, i don't wanna sound like a total alchy just 'cause i like my brew. . . :heh:

in any case, i'm enjoying another new beer and thought i would share it. . . another southern tier, this one is called unearthly, it's their imperial IPA. . .

surprisingly mild for an IPA, very smooth and drinkable-- actually one of the mellower IPAs i've had, it's got very intense hop flavor but without the usual bitterness (this is accomplished by adding more hops later in the boil, i believe). . . layer upon layer of hops, but it lacks the bite of a truly assertive IPA (such as the avery maharaja, which i drank last weekend-- one of the most bitter beers i've ever had). . .

really sweet, distinctive barley flavor, especially the after taste-- without the bitterness, the hop flavor just doesn't linger as much as a normal IPA. . .

overall, pretty darn good-- probably won't be a favorite for the true hophead, but this is an IPA that's perfect for those who aren't generally big IPA fans. . .
I'm personally not a big fan of the hoppiest of the IPA's, so this sounds like it's right up my alley. Even though I don't do IPA's regularly, I've got two reviews for you anyhow! (weird, how's he do that?!;))

McEwan's Scottish IPA is one of the mildest IPA's I've ever come across. The hop undertones are understated to the point of barely being noticeable, and it's got an apple taste to it that makes it more comparable to a Strongbow or a Woodchuck than any ale you'll drink. It's deliciously smooth, though. Beer drinkers who don't like IPA's would do well to give it a chance, because they'll be surprised by just how vast the differences are between different IPA's.

Victory's Hopdevil IPA, on the other hand, is one of the most aggressive IPA's you'll be able to find in a grocery store. The bite of the hops can be felt almost immediately upon introduction to the palette, and the finish is a bite fitting of the beer's devilish name. It'll clear out your sinuses faster than a shot of moonshine. It's an aberration - an excessively hoppy beer that I actually like.

Hooray beer! :beer:

dogfish
03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm personally not a big fan of the hoppiest of the IPA's, so this sounds like it's right up my alley. Even though I don't do IPA's regularly, I've got two reviews for you anyhow! (weird, how's he do that?!;))

McEwan's Scottish IPA is one of the mildest IPA's I've ever come across. The hop undertones are understated to the point of barely being noticeable, and it's got an apple taste to it that makes it more comparable to a Strongbow or a Woodchuck than any ale you'll drink. It's deliciously smooth, though. Beer drinkers who don't like IPA's would do well to give it a chance, because they'll be surprised by just how vast the differences are between different IPA's.

honestly, i didn't like it at all-- probably my least favorite IPA that i've ever tried! of course, i'm a certified, card-carrying hophead, so it's really not a surprise. . . still, as evidenced by my last post, i can appreciate a less assertive IPA. . . but the mcewans i thought had kind of a funky flavor, it's been a while since i've had it so i can't describe it exactly, but i definitely remember not liking it very much! i really didn't even think it should be called an IPA, it just didn't have enough of a hop flavor or aroms-- i was pissed, i thought it was false advertising! :laugh:

some of the scotch ales seem to have a strange flavor, i have to wonder if some of the grains aren't peat smoked or something like that-- i have read that they sometimes do that with the scottish ales like skullsplitter, which i actually like in small doses. . . one of the more unusual ales i have had, for sure. . .

Victory's Hopdevil IPA, on the other hand, is one of the most aggressive IPA's you'll be able to find in a grocery store. The bite of the hops can be felt almost immediately upon introduction to the palette, and the finish is a bite fitting of the beer's devilish name. It'll clear out your sinuses faster than a shot of moonshine. It's an aberration - an excessively hoppy beer that I actually like.

Hooray beer!

i liked this one pretty well-- actually like the name better than the beer, but the beer was pretty good too. . . not as layered as your typical IPA, to me it tasted like they really piled in a ton of just one variety of hops, where i believe most IPAs use three or four varieties anyways. . . i thought the flavor was a little thin, but it was pleasant-- definitely a bitey, strong flavored beer. . .

i like intensely flavored brews, the stronger the better, so imperials tend to be my faves-- and IPAs are no exception! i find they tend to have more subtle flavor notes and complexity, and generally the barley flavor is more noticeable, giving them a sweetness to counterbalance the hop bitterness-- as well as even higher abv!

as far as regular IPAs go, the bells two-hearted ale is a fave-- has a nice warm flavor with almost metallic notes, sort of a coppery kind of bite that i associate with certain IPAs. . . it finishes clean, but the hop flavor lingers. . .

and speaking of victory-- have you tried their tripel? it's called golden monkey or some such. . . if you haven't, i really reccomend against it-- i thought the chit was straight-up nasty! too heavily spiced with not enough grain flavor, one of the poorest attempts to mimmick a belgian that i've ever tasted. . . i have had a few american brewed "belgian-style" ales that have been pretty good, but generally i've not been impressed with them. . .

the ommegang brewery in new york does halfway decent belgian take-offs, their beers that i know are ommegang, hennepin, and rare vos. . .

new belgium ( the brewers of fat tire) do an abbey ale that is pretty darn good. . . and i've had one called angry monk that i really liked a lot, can't remember who brewed it. . .

another american "belgian style" that i've had was ale smith's grand cru-- total rip off!! it was like 12 bucks for a bottle, and i thought it was crap-- didn't even finish it! i was pissed!! they're supposed to be a good brewery-- i've had their old numbskull barleywine and liked it pretty well-- but the grand cru was absolute junk! for anyone who wants belgians brewed in the states, i think avery is the way to go. . .

In-com-plete
03-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Why is it that I can drink a few Coronas when I get home and be completely fine. But I bought a 12 of Heineken this evening, just finished my second, and am completely buzzed.

I guess that means Heineken is better than Corona huh. :beer:

dogfish
03-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Why is it that I can drink a few Coronas when I get home and be completely fine. But I bought a 12 of Heineken this evening, just finished my second, and am completely buzzed.

I guess that means Heineken is better than Corona huh. :beer:

or you're just lucky! ;)

honestly, i don't think there's a great difference in the abv-- just at a guess i'd say corona is probably around 5-5 1/2 percent, maybe heineken is 5 1/2 -6 percent, but realli it can't be that much difference. . .

oh, well-- whatever works right?!

dogfish
03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
OK, time for a new entry-- gotta bump the beer thread, don't we whodey?

sometime last week i had an old favorite-- to continue the belgian theme for another post, it was one of the better belgians i've had, and it had been a long time since i'd had one. . .

orval trappist, one of the "official" trappists, which means it was actually brewed in a monastery-- oh those clever monks! guess they've gotta have something to do other than pray, right?

anyways, the orval is light but still a little spicy, not overwhelming as some belgians tend to be-- a nice balance. . . fruity but just a little bit sour, and the aftertaste made me think of peaches! interesting!! a very highly carbonated brew, probably best served cool but not cold. . .

the trappists are pretty expensive (must be labor-intensive for all those monks, LOL!), but if you want to try something different they are worth checking out-- as i said, this one is one of my favorites of the style, and comes highly reccomended!

Reidman
03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Where do you buy your beer...? I notice you've tried many different brands and varieties and posted them here but they aren't exactly common so I'm curious where you purchase them.

We have an outlet named QFC which carries a pretty vast array of brews but nothing like what you've described. Surprising to since I always considered portland to be the microbrew capital of the west.

dogfish
03-31-2006, 01:04 AM
Where do you buy your beer...? I notice you've tried many different brands and varieties and posted them here but they aren't exactly common so I'm curious where you purchase them.

We have an outlet named QFC which carries a pretty vast array of brews but nothing like what you've described. Surprising to since I always considered portland to be the microbrew capital of the west.

reid, that surprises me as well, i would have thought that washington and oregon would have an excellent beer selection. . . :confused:

as for where i buy my beer-- a lot of what i've mentioned on this thread i first tried when i lived in colorado, but since i've moved back to ohio i've managed to find most of it here. . . i did have to wheedle the buyer at my local liquor store into special ordering some things for me, and you might wanna try the same thing. . .

now, obviously the belgians i've been talking about are imports, so i'm really not sure where to tell you to look for those. . . but as for the american brews, most breweries should have a website, and most of them will help you to find a local distributor, who in turn can direct you to the nearest retailer who carries the beer. . .

if you go back to my initial post in this thread, there's a link to dogfish head, my favorite brewery (and namesake, lol!) and avery brewing-- follow those and you should be able to track down a local place that sells 'em. . . if i can help ya out, let me know!

EDIT: had to go back and see what you'd posted earlier in the thread so you wouldn't have to repeat yourself. . . i like rogue, although they make about a bazillion different beers, and i've only tried a few of them-- the brutal bitter is my favorite of theirs that i've had, and as it sounds like you're a hophead like i am, i think you'd like it. . .

i hope you can get the dogfish head IPAs somewhere, they are some of the most aggressive, intense, well-rounded IPAs available. . . and the avery maharaja is killa also!

HOORAY BEER!!

Reidman
03-31-2006, 01:31 AM
reid, that surprises me as well, i would have thought that washington and oregon would have an excellent beer selection. . . :confused:

as for where i buy my beer-- a lot of what i've mentioned on this thread i first tried when i lived in colorado, but since i've moved back to ohio i've managed to find most of it here. . . i did have to wheedle the buyer at my local liquor store into special ordering some things for me, and you might wanna try the same thing. . .

now, obviously the belgians i've been talking about are imports, so i'm really not sure where to tell you to look for those. . . but as for the american brews, most breweries should have a website, and most of them will help you to find a local distributor, who in turn can direct you to the nearest retailer who carries the beer. . .

if you go back to my initial post in this thread, there's a link to dogfish head, my favorite brewery (and namesake, lol!) and avery brewing-- follow those and you should be able to track down a local place that sells 'em. . . if i can help ya out, let me know!

EDIT: had to go back and see what you'd posted earlier in the thread so you wouldn't have to repeat yourself. . . i like rogue, although they make about a bazillion different beers, and i've only tried a few of them-- the brutal bitter is my favorite of theirs that i've had, and as it sounds like you're a hophead like i am, i think you'd like it. . .

i hope you can get the dogfish head IPAs somewhere, they are some of the most aggressive, intense, well-rounded IPAs available. . . and the avery maharaja is killa also!

HOORAY BEER!!

Great link man. I think I found a distributor, columbia distributors. My mouth was actually watering reading up on some of those IPA's and the chicory stout, lol. Ok people will think I'm an alchy and I'm not I just love a flavorfull beer.

You are right, they don't make a beer too hoppy for my taste buds. That's what gives a beer it's distinct taste and aroma. I was laughing at the fact there is almost 300 calories in one of their 12 oz IPA's, holy cow.. :eek: I am definitely going to have to get my hands on some of that for sure.

The closest thing to a good IPA we have here (and there are probably many more, I just haven't researched enough) is Bridgeport made by the Portland brewing co. I need to start researching more to find more brands.

Man, I also like a good stout. They used to carry an oatmeal stout here but I haven't been able to find it lately and I don't know if they discontinued it or what. Probably my second most well received beer behind the IPA's. Thanks for the info fellow conosouier (sp..?)

dogfish
03-31-2006, 01:39 AM
Great link man. I think I found a distributor, columbia distributors. My mouth was actually watering reading up on some of those IPA's and the chicory stout, lol. Ok people will think I'm an alchy and I'm not I just love a flavorfull beer.

You are right, they don't make a beer too hoppy for my taste buds. That's what gives a beer it's distinct taste and aroma. I was laughing at the fact there is almost 300 calories in one of their 12 oz IPA's, holy cow.. :eek: I am definitely going to have to get my hands on some of that for sure.

The closest thing to a good IPA we have here (and there are probably many more, I just haven't researched enough) is Bridgeport made by the Portland brewing co. I need to start researching more to find more brands.

Man, I also like a good stout. They used to carry an oatmeal stout here but I haven't been able to find it lately and I don't know if they discontinued it or what. Probably my second most well received beer behind the IPA's. Thanks for the info fellow conosouier (sp..?)

my pleasure, i love talking about beer (not to mention drinking it of course!). . . i won't clutter the thread by re-typing a bunch of stuff that's already here, but read through my posts and you'll find mention of pretty much all my current favorite stouts and IPAs-- very briefly, the ones that i'd put on the top of your list are the avery czar and maharaja, and the dogfish head 120 minute IPA if it's available in WA, which it should be somewhere-- be prepared to pay nine bucks for a single 12 oz. bottle of that one, but you have my solemn promise it's worth every penny! at 120+ IBU's (international bitterness units), it's the hoppiest beer i've ever found, and also a whopping 23% abv-- can you say "yoowza?!" let me know how the search goes!

Jewels
03-31-2006, 06:17 AM
I'm on my second this morning!

To me, it's like 11pm.

I love beer.

Just wanted to share that with you.

WhoDeyBengals
03-31-2006, 06:42 AM

To me, it's like 11pm.

I love beer.

Well then cheers to you! :beer: Congrats on being done with graveyard shift, by the way!

Jewels
03-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Well then cheers to you! :beer: Congrats on being done with graveyard shift, by the way!

Thanks, ;)

delaranta
03-31-2006, 06:57 AM
I am personally a fan of Guiness, but I just had a whiskey night and am about 10 minutes from passing out. Gotta respect the Jameson.

dogfish
03-31-2006, 11:57 AM

To me, it's like 11pm.

I love beer.

anytime is a good time to drink beer!

dogfish
04-03-2006, 07:33 PM
haha, looks like the beer thread needs another bump-- back to the first page with ya, LOL!!

WTM was drinking an IPA in the cafe and it made me jealous, so i had to crack one. . .

maximus, by lagunitas brewing co. in petaluma, california. . .

pretty darn good! initially very bitey and aggressive, very crisp and refreshing. . . but definitely more barley than your average IPA, almost like an imperial in that aspect, but without the complex layering of hop flavor that marks a true imperial-- gives it a nice creamy flavor after the initial bitterness. . . and it's got a weird, funky aftertaste, almost like some aged cheese or something. . . and if that sounds weird, it's really not-- don't worry, it's a beer and it tastes like a beer, LOL!!

overall very good!

mattos
04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
WTM was drinking an IPA in the cafe

now there's a beer i have yet to develop a taste for. or maybe i just haven't had a good one yet.

my current favorite is red stripe. dark and buttery.

anyone have a "taco mac" near where they live? consider joining this: http://taco-mac.com/passport/
since you only get credit for a beer once, it seems like a great way to try a lot of beer. i just started last week - so far i've checked a smithwicks and highland gaelic ale of the list.

Reidman
04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, I'll add that I was drinking IPA tonight as well. A new one in fact (for me anyway) called Thunderhead by Pyramid brewing co. It was bursting with hops and had a distinct bite but that faded quickly and left that good ole fashion hoppy taste in your mouth, Mmmm! I love IPA's, my favorite beer hands down.

Oh, I also had a couple Apricot ales also by Pyramid but don't recommend mixing anything with IPA, I should know better...you lose a lot of flavor that way.

I've yet to inquire on the dogfish head yet dogfish (that was weird) but I will call the distribution co. maybe tomorrow to find out where they stock. And now it's bed time.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

watchthemiddle
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Well, I'll add that I was drinking IPA tonight as well. A new one in fact (for me anyway) called Thunderhead by Pyramid brewing co. It was bursting with hops and had a distinct bite but that faded quickly and left that good ole fashion hoppy taste in your mouth, Mmmm! I love IPA's, my favorite beer hands down.

Oh, I also had a couple Apricot ales also by Pyramid but don't recommend mixing anything with IPA, I should know better...you lose a lot of flavor that way.

I've yet to inquire on the dogfish head yet dogfish (that was weird) but I will call the distribution co. maybe tomorrow to find out where they stock. And now it's bed time.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Just posted this in the cafe, but am still tossing back a few of these....

Estes Park Renegade

Or award-winning India Pale Ale (1993) is a hop lovers dream. We load up on the Chinook and cascade to create high bitterness and wonderful aroma. We even dry-hop this beer to give it even more hop flavor. Our IPA has a rich copper color and lots of body. Alc / vol 5.5 %

YEAH BABY!!

Your right Reid, mixing with IPA kills the flavor and for me destroys the taste buds. Once I start on one, I usually try not to mix whatever it is with anything else.

dogfish
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
now there's a beer i have yet to develop a taste for. or maybe i just haven't had a good one yet.

my current favorite is red stripe. dark and buttery.

anyone have a "taco mac" near where they live? consider joining this: http://taco-mac.com/passport/
since you only get credit for a beer once, it seems like a great way to try a lot of beer. i just started last week - so far i've checked a smithwicks and highland gaelic ale of the list.

honestly, it really took me a long time to develop a taste for IPAs-- for years, brown ales and stouts were my favorites (i still like both a lot), and i never liked the IPAs all that much. . . it's really only been the last few years that i've grown to like them so well-- i find the bitterness refreshing, and the better ones have intensely complex flavors. . .

when i first started drinking beer, red stripe was one i liked a lot-- a good solid lager. . . over the years i've come to prefer stronger beers, but red stripe is still good for a hot summer day! makes perfect sense considering where it's from. . .

there's no taco mac anywhere near where i live-- that's probably a good thing, i try enough beer as it is, LOL! the smithwicks i've only had once, it's definitely solid-- smooth and a little dry if i remember. . .

dogfish
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM

the pyramid apricot is pretty good for a fruit beer (not generally a favorite style of mine). . . you may find this amusing-- dogfish head's summer brew is aprihop! yeah, you guessed it-- an apricot IPA! sound weird? it's actually pretty good!

unlike too many fruit beers, the fruit flavor is very mild, more noticeable in the aftertaste than anything-- the combination of flavors is better than you might expect. . . it has a quote from playboy on the label, and they pretty much got it right on :"over the top smoothness". . . the fruit flavor helps to mellow the bitterness of the hops, and the result is a very refreshing summer beer!

i am not usually a huge fan of summer brews because they tend to be brewed with wheat, and i am just not a big fan of wheat beers, though there are exceptions-- pretty cool to find a summer beer brewed from barley, especially one in my favorite style

dogfish
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Just posted this in the cafe, but am still tossing back a few of these....

Estes Park Renegade

Or award-winning India Pale Ale (1993) is a hop lovers dream. We load up on the Chinook and cascade to create high bitterness and wonderful aroma. We even dry-hop this beer to give it even more hop flavor. Our IPA has a rich copper color and lots of body. Alc / vol 5.5 %

YEAH BABY!!

Your right Reid, mixing with IPA kills the flavor and for me destroys the taste buds. Once I start on one, I usually try not to mix whatever it is with anything else.

i have never had that one, if i see it i will definitely give it a try-- i'm always on the look-out for new IPAs. . . good to see ya in the beer thread WTM!!

Reidman
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Ok, just found out that a local Brewery here, Widmere Bros., is releasing a new IPA to hit shelves next week--Broken Halo IPA!! There must be some sort of hophead movement around here because it's the second new IPA I've seen surface in as many weeks. I can't wait to try it.........I'll let you guys know how it is!

the pyramid apricot is pretty good for a fruit beer (not generally a favorite style of mine). . . you may find this amusing-- dogfish head's summer brew is aprihop! yeah, you guessed it-- an apricot IPA! sound weird? it's actually pretty good!
Hey this sounds really good. This dogfish head is sounding better and better. I really need to find out where it is distributed around here. Too bad you can't order online.......:laugh:

MTRaiderHater
04-04-2006, 09:49 AM
WhoDey et al,

I thought I'd let you know that I just bought some seasonal beer from one of my fav breweries.

Its called Cinder Cone. Its a red ale that has great contrast in flavor. Deschutes Brewery makes it, and I think those of you in So. Cal. and Colorado can get it.

Try it if you can. :beer:

Reidman
04-04-2006, 10:50 AM
WhoDey et al,

I thought I'd let you know that I just bought some seasonal beer from one of my fav breweries.

Its called Cinder Cone. Its a red ale that has great contrast in flavor. Deschutes Brewery makes it, and I think those of you in So. Cal. and Colorado can get it.

Try it if you can. :beer:
That is a great seaonal brew and yes they do deliver to Colorado as well as Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Northern California, Hawaii, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Wyoming. I was visiting their website and for the sake of sounding like a broken record found yet another new Pale ale due out sometime this month:

"After several months of experimentation, energy and obsession, Deschutes Brewery’s brewers have triumphed once again. Inversion I.P.A.'s trio of American hops delivers an over-the-top nose with hints of orange and grapefruit. Inversion is then dry-hopped for seven days resulting in an added hoppy kick. To balance the hop character, Deschutes’ brewers used crystal and caraston malts that weave throughout the beer providing soft, complex caramel flavors.

Just like clear days up on the mountain, Inversion I.P.A. will deliver a path to higher ground. Inversion I.P.A. is a phenomenal NW-style I.P.A., beckoning all beer drinkers and enticing I.P.A. lovers to invert their world and find clarity above the routine of the everyday."

IBUs 75, Alcohol Content: 6.8%

If that doesn't entice your buds, then I don't know what will!! :beer:

Dry Kill Logic
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Petes wicked ale, Groulsh, honey brown, and Bud Ice

Broncofan-13
04-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, If you like a heavy beer, come visit me and we'll head to oktoberfest. great beer, great beer food. hot women (at least after the beer. ;) )

WhoDeyBengals
04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, If you like a heavy beer, come visit me and we'll head to oktoberfest. great beer, great beer food. hot women (at least after the beer. ;) )
This post begs the question of whether or not we need to create the inevitable redheaded stepchild of the beer thread:

"The Official Beer Goggle Thread."

:O

dogfish
04-04-2006, 12:13 PM
That is a great seaonal brew and yes they do deliver to Colorado as well as Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Northern California, Hawaii, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Wyoming. I was visiting their website and for the sake of sounding like a broken record found yet another new Pale ale due out sometime this month:

"After several months of experimentation, energy and obsession, Deschutes Brewery’s brewers have triumphed once again. Inversion I.P.A.'s trio of American hops delivers an over-the-top nose with hints of orange and grapefruit. Inversion is then dry-hopped for seven days resulting in an added hoppy kick. To balance the hop character, Deschutes’ brewers used crystal and caraston malts that weave throughout the beer providing soft, complex caramel flavors.

Just like clear days up on the mountain, Inversion I.P.A. will deliver a path to higher ground. Inversion I.P.A. is a phenomenal NW-style I.P.A., beckoning all beer drinkers and enticing I.P.A. lovers to invert their world and find clarity above the routine of the everyday."

IBUs 75, Alcohol Content: 6.8%

If that doesn't entice your buds, then I don't know what will!! :beer:

unfortunately, i can't get deschuttes here in the midwest. . . :ugh:

that IPA sounds really frickin' good!

dogfish
04-05-2006, 12:18 AM
ok, here's the official "since we don't have enough posts about IPAs already" post, LOL! this one is a colorado product, so all you mile high folks can definitely get this one. . .

small batch 471 double-hopped IPA from the breckenridge brewery. . . pretty light in color for an IPA, and not initially as bitey or bitter as some that i've had-- the overwhelming characteristic of this beer is DRY!! extremely dry, even for an IPA! it has a rather "woodsy" flavor, a little reminiscent of the piney flavor that gin has, and a very strong hop aftertaste. . .

not amazing compared to some of the IPAs i've mentioned in this thread, but nontheless a very solid brew, and definitely worth trying if you're an IPA fan!

LordTrychon
04-05-2006, 07:06 AM
I like :beer: :beer: :beer:

Jared
04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
This post begs the question of whether or not we need to create the inevitable redheaded stepchild of the beer thread:

"The Official Beer Goggle Thread."

:O

LOL.

Wouldn't you have to be drunk to post in it? Or worse yet, have photographic proof of the theory (which I would guess would not be able to be posted)?

JWinn
04-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Thought you beer drinkers might like it;

"Living Will

Me and my better half were sitting in the living room and I said to her,

" Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."

She got up, unplugged the TV, and threw out all my beer .

B***h !"

dogfish
04-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thought you beer drinkers might like it;

"Living Will

Me and my better half were sitting in the living room and I said to her,

" Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."

She got up, unplugged the TV, and threw out all my beer .

B***h !"

beautiful!

:laugh: :laugh:

dogfish
04-09-2006, 11:47 PM
BUMP!!

here's one that i reccomended to NASurfer, but i'll describe it in more detail since i had one recently. . . to be precise, i drank the last bottle that i had aging in my cellar-- 18 months old, it had a nice chance to mellow. . .

EKU 28-- a german brew. . . honestly, i'm not as fond of german beers as some people, too many of them are wheat beers which i really don't like, but this is a barley beer and a very nice one. . . it has a rich amber color, and is somewhat similar to an oktoberfest-- heavy malt flavor with a spicy finish. . . i believe the spiciness is from the hops, but it has very little discernible hop bitterness. . .

the initial flavor is sweet and caramelly, a little bit flat with toffe notes and a toasted, nutty flavor, and the described "spiciness" quickly takes over and gives it a lingering aftertaste. . . interesting and pretty strong. . . too sweet for me to drink many of them, but definitely worth trying, especially if you like malty beers like NA does. . .

dogfish
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
ok, how about a little discussion-- or am i the only one who has any interest in this thread anymore? :laugh:

i know a fair number of people on this board live in colorado, or have at one time. . . so you're probably all familiar with flat tire. . .

who's tried some of new belgium's other beers?

i myself really like the blue paddle pilsner (a crisp, refreshing beer that isn't too strong), and the 1554 black lager, which is very smooth for a darker beer. . .

the bier de mars is good, as is the frambozen, the tripel, loft, and the abbey ale. . .

anybody else out there like any new belgium brews besides flat tire?

Reidman
04-11-2006, 11:46 PM
ok, how about a little discussion-- or am i the only one who has any interest in this thread anymore?

i know a fair number of people on this board live in colorado, or have at one time. . . so you're probably all familiar with flat tire. . .

who's tried some of new belgium's other beers?

i myself really like the blue paddle pilsner (a crisp, refreshing beer that isn't too strong), and the 1554 black lager, which is very smooth for a darker beer. . .

the bier de mars is good, as is the frambozen, the tripel, loft, and the abbey ale. . .

anybody else out there like any new belgium brews besides flat tire?

I haven't had too many new belgium's besides the Fat tire and I think I had another but I can't remember the name (Hay loft I think.... :confused: ) They were both pretty good but I have nothing else to compare them to in the way of belgium beers.

I need to entertain my palate more....... :beer:

dogfish
04-11-2006, 11:51 PM
I haven't had too many new belgium's besides the Fat tire and I think I had another but I can't remember the name (Hay loft I think.... :confused: ) They were both pretty good but I have nothing else to compare them to in the way of belgium beers.

I need to entertain my palate more....... :beer:

they make a berr that's called just plain "loft," so i don't know if that's the one you mean or if it's a different one-- loft was pretty malty, i really don't remember it that well, it's been a while-- i definitely liked it though. . .

and new belgium makes all sorts of beers, not just belgian tale-offs. . . flat tire, for example, is a pretty basic amber ale-- the only true "belgian-style beers they make, as far as i can remember, are the tripel and the abbey ale, though they probably have more that i'm not familiar with. . .

overall a pretty good brewery, and one i figured people who live in colorado would know. . .

Reidman
04-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Another great maker of strong brew is this place. now I've only had their La Fin Du Monde which literally translated means "end of the world" but it is far from that. For a 9% malt it is actually pretty smooth and leaves a spicy after taste.

Not a beer you would want to party with on a Friday night however. I am still curious to try out some of their other stuff.

Here's a link to the website: Unibroue (http://www.unibroue.com/products/bieres.cfm) :beer:
It's under construction but you can still navigate the various brews!

dogfish
04-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Another great maker of strong brew is this place. now I've only had their La Fin Du Monde which literally translated means "end of the world" but it is far from that. For a 9% malt it is actually pretty smooth and leaves a spicy after taste.

Not a beer you would want to party with on a Friday night however. I am still curious to try out some of their other stuff.

Here's a link to the website: Unibroue (http://www.unibroue.com/products/bieres.cfm) :beer:

i tried the ephemere several years ago, and i've also had the quelque chose. . . both very good, unusual beers. . . honestly, it's been a while since i've had either of them, but i remember liking them. . .

i'm not generally a big fan of fruit-flavored beers, but they can be a nice change once in a while, and some of them are really good. . . i definitely like to keep my mind open and try different things. . . the fruit beers i generally can't drink more than one of at a time. . . they tend to be sweeter than what i really like. . .

if you recommend it, i will try the fin du mond sometime, i believe i can get that one locally, though i'm not sure what else is available around here-- probably the ephemere, now that i think about it. . .

have you ever tried any lambics?

Reidman
04-12-2006, 12:25 AM
i tried the ephemere several years ago, and i've also had the quelque chose. . . both very good, unusual beers. . . honestly, it's been a while since i've had either of them, but i remember liking them. . .

i'm not generally a big fan of fruit-flavored beers, but they can be a nice change once in a while, and some of them are really good. . . i definitely like to keep my mind open and try different things. . . the fruit beers i generally can't drink more than one of at a time. . . they tend to be sweeter than what i really like. . .

if you recommend it, i will try the fin du mond sometime, i believe i can get that one locally, though i'm not sure what else is available around here-- probably the ephemere, now that i think about it. . .

have you ever tried any lambics?
Just framboise and that's almost like fruit juice. Get you spinning if you drink it too fast though.. :goofy:

Are you on the belgian kick tonight dog...??

dogfish
04-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Just framboise and that's almost like fruit juice. Get you spinning if you drink it too fast though.. :goofy:

Are you on the belgian kick tonight dog...??

nah, honestly i just brought up new belgium because i figured colorado people would be familiar with them-- and talking about fruit beers made me think of lambics. . .

as i've said in some of my earlier posts, i like some belgians a lot, but they're pretty hit-or-miss for me. . . all of my absolute favorites are brewed here in the states for the most past. . .

Reidman
04-12-2006, 12:34 AM
nah, honestly i just brought up new belgium because i figured colorado people would be familiar with them-- and talking about fruit beers made me think of lambics. . .

as i've said in some of my earlier posts, i like some belgians a lot, but they're pretty hit-or-miss for me. . . all of my absolute favorites are brewed here in the states for the most past. . .
I was thinking we might as well merge this thread with the cafe.

I always find myself jumping between the two......

dogfish
04-12-2006, 12:39 AM

why have one good thread when you can have two?

not like we can't bring beer into the cafe, kap is cool with it. . . .

dogfish
04-12-2006, 11:18 PM

ok, i went out and got the la fin du monde-- i'll let you know what i think when i try it! always appreciate recommendations. . . ;)

i also grabbed the ephemere-- the apple one, they also have another ephemere that's a cranberry wheat. . . FAUGH!! sounds horrible!!

this one is really good though, better than i remembered. . . extremely light in color, it could pass for american schwill beer if it wasn't so cloudy-- obviously unfiltered. . .

initially sweet and crisp, but with a definite spiciness that is immediately noticeable without being overbearing. . . the apple flavor really gives it a nice tart finish. . . not your average beer by any means-- this is the kind of beer a wine drinker could probably get into. . .

if i like the other one as well, i think i'll have to try some more of their brews-- my local place has them in 12 oz singles, which is a real blessing-- so much easier to sample beers when you don't have to buy a whole six of something just to see if you like it!! for anyone who wants to sample a lot of different beers, finding a place with a large selection of singles is a must, even if they're marginally more expensive that way. . .

Reidman
04-13-2006, 02:42 AM
ok, i went out and got the la fin du monde-- i'll let you know what i think when i try it! always appreciate recommendations. . . ;)

i also grabbed the ephemere-- the apple one, they also have another ephemere that's a cranberry wheat. . . FAUGH!! sounds horrible!!

this one is really good though, better than i remembered. . . extremely light in color, it could pass for american schwill beer if it wasn't so cloudy-- obviously unfiltered. . .

initially sweet and crisp, but with a definite spiciness that is immediately noticeable without being overbearing. . . the apple flavor really gives it a nice tart finish. . . not your average beer by any means-- this is the kind of beer a wine drinker could probably get into. . .

if i like the other one as well, i think i'll have to try some more of their brews-- my local place has them in 12 oz singles, which is a real blessing-- so much easier to sample beers when you don't have to buy a whole six of something just to see if you like it!! for anyone who wants to sample a lot of different beers, finding a place with a large selection of singles is a must, even if they're marginally more expensive that way. . .

That's aproblem around here. I could only find that brand in 20 Oz'ers but perhaps across the river they sell them in 12's. I hope you like it. Let me know here when you drink it what you thought....

That ephemere sounds unique, not so sure about an apple flavor but it can't be too much different from the apricot ale that I like.

Fruity beers are good occasional beers but not something I like to drink all the time. I usually drink the fruit styles maybe once a month for variety.

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 06:42 AM

I'm personally still holding out hope for a sticky to this thread, considering how often it gets bumped ;)

dogfish
04-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm personally still holding out hope for a sticky to this thread, considering how often it gets bumped ;)

we'll just keep bumping it. . . . :D

LordTrychon
04-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Won't happen... but you may be able to bribe Summerz to change her 'sports threads' sticky to a 'popular threads' sticky and throw in a link...

But other than that... I wouldn't bet on it getting stickied.

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Won't happen... but you may be able to bribe Summerz to change her 'sports threads' sticky to a 'popular threads' sticky and throw in a link...

But other than that... I wouldn't bet on it getting stickied.
Party pooper. :coffee:

dogfish
04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Party pooper. :coffee:

we doan need no steenking sticky!!

this thread will never die while i'm around. . . . :D

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh, and really quick: I recently tried one of the Unibroue beers, per Reidman's recommendation, and I've got to tell you, if you haven't tried Trois Pistoles (http://www.unibroue.com/products/3pistoles.cfm), you haven't lived. The stuff is awesome. I'm not as good at describing tastes as dogfish is, so I'll let the link suffice to get you thirsty for it. :)

dogfish
04-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh, and really quick: I recently tried one of the Unibroue beers, per Reidman's recommendation, and I've got to tell you, if you haven't tried Trois Pistoles (http://www.unibroue.com/products/3pistoles.cfm), you haven't lived. The stuff is awesome. I'm not as good at describing tastes as dogfish is, so I'll let the link suffice to get you thirsty for it. :)

dude, don't sell yourself short-- you describe tastes every bit as well as i do. . .

and this sounds really good! unfortunately, i don't think i can get it here in town-- i'm going to c-bus to hang with my friends this weekend, i'll look around for it while i'm there. . . we always visit several stores. . . ;)

Sanluisboltfan
04-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body. It is now sold in over 30 countries worldwide, and can be drunk on tap in places as far a field as New Zealand and Hong Kong. Boddingtons is positioned as a premium import in its overseas markets, and this sector has seen rapid growth in the last ten years, as drinkers are keen to experiment with different beer styles and tastes, and often drink beers they remember from places they have traveled to.

Boddingtons . It is English and the perfect Beer to go with a dart game. I first had some last year on a ski trip to Whistler. I found it in San Luis Obispo at this Irish Pub called the Frog and Peach.

Check it out. :beer:

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Boddingtons . It is English and the perfect Beer to go with a dart game. I first had some last year on a ski trip to Whistler. I found it in San Luis Obispo a this Irish Pub called the Frog and Peach.

Check it out.
There are a couple of places in the Cincinnati area that serve this on tap, and I will order it on occassion. Thing is, the same places that serve Boddingtons are the only places where I can get a proper black & tan. :beer:

Thanks for dropping in, though. We need more non-Broncos in the ABF forum! :)

Kapaibro
04-13-2006, 05:02 PM
My favourite beer from New Zealand is Mac's Gold(from Macashin's)

Mac's Brewery (http://www.macs.co.nz/beers.asp)

I'm also a fan of Speight's(one of the best advertising campaigns ever), Tui(brewed in Mangatainoka since 1889), and DB Export Gold.

Probably the biggest selling NZ beer is Steinlager, but I'm not a fan, it always leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, but that's just me.

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 05:05 PM
My favourite beer from New Zealand is Mac's Gold(from Macashin's)

Mac's Brewery (http://www.macs.co.nz/beers.asp)

I'm also a fan of Speight's(one of the best advertising campaigns ever), Tui(brewed in Mangatainoka since 1889), and DB Export Gold.

Probably the biggest selling NZ beer is Steinlager, but I'm not a fan, it always leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, but that's just me.
The rings attached to the caps make the bottles look like tasty little hand grenades. When I'm traveling the world some day, I plan on having at least one of each of the beers you've mentioned. Mmmm international alcohol.

Ooohhhh. :)

Kapaibro
04-13-2006, 05:09 PM
The rings attached to the caps make the bottles look like tasty little hand grenades. When I'm traveling the world some day, I plan on having at least one of each of the beers you've mentioned. Mmmm international alcohol.

Ooohhhh. :)
The Stout they do (Black Mac's) is great too! Man's beer, put hairs on your chest!

The company I worked for before I left home would have drinks in the board room on Friday afternoons, and they always bought Mac's Gold for me! I was the only one who drank it!

Kapaibro
04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
For any beer afficianados visiting New Zealand

Brewery Listings (http://www.realbeer.co.nz/nz_breweries/)

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 05:33 PM
For any beer afficianados visiting New Zealand

Brewery Listings (http://www.realbeer.co.nz/nz_breweries/)
Alright! The Beer thread has gone international! :beer:

Kapaibro
04-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Beer is an international language!

slick7
04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Shiner Bock is a nice, mild, brown beer. If that was said already, apologies.

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 06:02 PM
No, it hasn't! Who makes it?

slick7
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Its a little brewery in Texas near Austin I think. I used to get it at bars when I lived in Denver. They have it in the grocery stores sometimes here in NC and at some bars. Yellow and Orange label with a ram on the bottle. Its not so filling that you can't have it with a meal.

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Its a little brewery in Texas near Austin I think. I used to get it at bars when I lived in Denver. They have it in the grocery stores sometimes here in NC and at some bars. Yellow and Orange label with a ram on the bottle. Its not so filling that you can't have it with a meal.
I've got news for you, my newfound beer thread friend, there's no beer that's so filling I can't have it with a meal :beer:

I'll see if I can't find it this weekend.

Sanluisboltfan
04-13-2006, 06:15 PM

I like that beer. I had it once in Austin.

homestar
04-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Coors Light. I drink to get a nice buzz going not to sit and admire the hops used or all that other superfluous stuff. If I cared that much i'd drink whine. Nasty beers are Keystone Light and that knockoff crap, Coors and Bud are not that bad.

Miller High Life, MGD, Coors Light, Blue Moon are my favorite but if I am partying I go strictly Coors Light.

Coors light is basically badly flavored water. I'm a big Coors fan but I can not stand that crap.

Sanluisboltfan
04-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Coors light is basically badly flavored water. I'm a big Coors fan but I can not stand that crap.

:eek: :D Rocky mountain water?! It's all right.

Do they have Firestone Beer down in SD? If so, that is another outstanding Beer.
I don't think they sell it outside of California.

Firestone website (http://www.firestonewalker.com/default.htm)

KCLadyFan
04-13-2006, 06:34 PM
we doan need no steenking sticky!!

this thread will never die while i'm around. . . . :D

lol...this is funny... :D

dogfish
04-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Boddingtons . It is English and the perfect Beer to go with a dart game. I first had some last year on a ski trip to Whistler. I found it in San Luis Obispo at this Irish Pub called the Frog and Peach.

Check it out. :beer:

i used to get boddington's on tap at a bar down the street from my last place in denver-- it's a smooth, creamy ale, very easy to drink. . .

for english beers, i tend to like their bitters-- bluebeard bitter is excellent, and the fullers ESB is a standby that i like. . .

dogfish
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM

WOOT WOOT!!

as it should be. . . :D

WhoDeyBengals
04-13-2006, 06:45 PM
WOOT WOOT!!

as it should be. . . :D

Actually, given that BF-13, Jaws, and alan have all posted in this thread, that means that we've got three continents covered! Alright! Any of our Asian, African, or South American friends want to get in on some beer thread action? We're taking this baby transcontinental! :beer:

Reidman
04-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Dog, how did you like the La Fin Du Monde....?? Did you try it yet..?

Whodey, glad you liked the Trois Pistoles. That's one I haven't tried yet but should they have it around here I will give it a try. Unibroue makes some pretty unique stuff and it's not for light beer drinkers to be sure.

Glad I could be of assistance! :D

Hmmm, all of a sudden I'm very thirsty............ :beer:

broncolitis
04-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Bud Dumber!

NJBRONCOSFAN
04-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Tonight I had beer.
Twas wonderful.

dogfish
04-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Dog, how did you like the La Fin Du Monde....?? Did you try it yet..?

Whodey, glad you liked the Trois Pistoles. That's one I haven't tried yet but should they have it around here I will give it a try. Unibroue makes some pretty unique stuff and it's not for light beer drinkers to be sure.

Glad I could be of assistance! :D

Hmmm, all of a sudden I'm very thirsty............ :beer:

reid, i'm drinking it right now-- pretty damn good, but honestly a little spicier than i truly prefer. . . definitely worth trying though!

i know it's brewed in canada, but it was influenced by belgium for sure! tastes very similar to the belgian affligem blonde. . . pale but plenty strong with a rich, intense flavor. . .

tastes like a tripel to me, i will check their site in a minute and see if it says, but it definitely has the underlying sweetness of a beer brewed with more than one grain-- for me though, it's a little over-spiced, the main complaint i have with some belgians. . . the spice seems to overwhelm the flavor of the grains. . . good though! i will see if i can get some of their other brews, i'd say they're absolutely worth trying based on how interesting this one and the ephemere are. . .

thanks for the recommendation, i always like sampling new beers!

dogfish
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
when you go to spend the weekend with some old friends from college, it's always a good sign when you go to the LS and drop $140 on beer before you even take your bag out of the car. . . and even better when that's ONE six-pack and about a case full of singles, almost all bombers. . . . :D

several entries in this thread will be forth-coming when i drink a few that i brought home. . . .

including the trois pistoles, whodey-- found it!

ALERT!! ALERT!!

INSANELY GOOD BEER DISCOVERED!!

if anyone finds dragon's milk by the new holland brewing company (they're from somewhere in michigan, can't remember where), buy it immediately!! this stuff is absolutely killa!! i won't try to describe it (my memory is understandably a little blurry, first time i've really partied in a while), but suffice it to say this rich, creamy dark ale is one of the best beers i've had in years!! yea-- that good! if you enjoy strong beers, you want this one, simple as that. . .

here's another new one i tried over the weekend. . . . totally got lucky-- the store we went to just happened to have one of only two cases of the new limited edition dogfish head brew to be sent to ohio (whodey, he said the other case went to the nati, keep your eyes open!). . . of course, we bought most of them. . . .

it's an imperial pilsner, the first i've ever seen, and the first pils dogfish head has made. . . and they named it "golden shower," lol! great beer-- sweet and clean-flavored, as an imperial it has much stronger barley flavor than any pils i've ever tried. . . . as smooth as an average pils, but tastes almost more like a barleywine than any pils i've had, the trademark spiciness of the saaz hops that distinguishes pilsners is masked by the barley, making this beer sweeter and richer than previous pilsners have ever aspired to. . . .

still enough saaz aftertaste to wash down a brat and some sauerkraut, but enough substance to satisfy the pickiest drinker-- all around a great summer beer, whether you're having a cook-out or kicking back on the porch, if you're lucky enough to come across a store that carries this limited edition, i highly recommend grabbing one (or ALL!) of them. . . .

16milehigh87
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I'll take an A&W rootbeer anyday! Or night .........doesn't really matter.

dogfish
04-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I'll take an A&W rootbeer anyday! Or night .........doesn't really matter.

hehe, i know this is supposed to be the beer thread, but i suppose root beer counts-- ever had virgil's?

16milehigh87
04-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Not that I recall but I will give it a try.

dogfish
04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Not that I recall but I will give it a try.

you can get it at most natural foods stores. . . . it's the only "micro-brewed" root beer i've ever seen, and it's absolutely fantastic! they make a killer cream soda also. . . . . :D

dogfish
04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
ok whodey, i just cracked it a little while ago. . . . pretty damn good! it has the heavy carbonation i've come to associate with belgian-style beers, but the flavor is very mellow. . . . an extremely SMOOTH beer, very easy to drink, not particularly heavy for a dark ale. . .

interesting flavor, and i'd bet they may have used multiple grains, and probably dark belgian candi sugar (which is made from beets). . . . just a hint of spice, but definitely not overwhelming, which i appreciate. . . very clean with a sweet aftertaste-- i wanna say it reminds me of cafe au lait (probably the creaminess), but it has virtually no bitterness, so if it's like coffee it would have to be a starbucks sugar-drink, lol!

very good and i would definitely suggest trying it-- thanks for the recommendation whodey! tried to give ya a CP, but it wouldn't let me. . . .

WhoDeyBengals
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
ok whodey, i just cracked it a little while ago. . . . pretty damn good! it has the heavy carbonation i've come to associate with belgian-style beers, but the flavor is very mellow. . . . an extremely SMOOTH beer, very easy to drink, not particularly heavy for a dark ale. . .

interesting flavor, and i'd bet they may have used multiple grains, and probably dark belgian candi sugar (which is made from beets). . . . just a hint of spice, but definitely not overwhelming, which i appreciate. . . very clean with a sweet aftertaste-- i wanna say it reminds me of cafe au lait (probably the creaminess), but it has virtually no bitterness, so if it's like coffee it would have to be a starbucks sugar-drink, lol!

very good and i would definitely suggest trying it-- thanks for the recommendation whodey! tried to give ya a CP, but it wouldn't let me. . . .

Sweet! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It's certainly one of my favorites.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned a Texas beer called "Shiner Bock." As luck would have it, I stopped by a liquor store to pick up some essentials, and noticed a six pack of the stuff sitting in the bottom of one of their coolers. I snatched it up.

Basically a standard American lager in a tuxedo. I didn't notice anything particularly distinctive about the taste to distinguish it from beers like Budweiser and Coors. A good "watching the game and scratching your nuts" kind of beer. Overall, I'd give it a 4/10.

LordTrychon
04-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Sweet! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It's certainly one of my favorites.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned a Texas beer called "Shiner Bock." As luck would have it, I stopped by a liquor store to pick up some essentials, and noticed a six pack of the stuff sitting in the bottom of one of their coolers. I snatched it up.

Basically a standard American lager in a tuxedo. I didn't notice anything particularly distinctive about the taste to distinguish it from beers like Budweiser and Coors. A good "watching the game and scratching your nuts" kind of beer. Overall, I'd give it a 4/10.
Sounds like a good beer. :D

Well, I tried an IPA last night... it was Called Mojo... from Boulder Beer. (http://www.boulderbeer.com/) I enjoyed it... but I don't know enough to really describe it. I would bet that one of the Denver area guys could find it and describe it.

I've got another beer at home to crack tonight, and I'll tell you guys what I think about it...

broncolitis
04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
This is the only beer I use :beer:

dogfish
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a good beer. :D

Well, I tried an IPA last night... it was Called Mojo... from Boulder Beer. (http://www.boulderbeer.com/) I enjoyed it... but I don't know enough to really describe it. I would bet that one of the Denver area guys could find it and describe it.

I've got another beer at home to crack tonight, and I'll tell you guys what I think about it...

mojo is good-- haven't had it in a while, but i remember it being extremely bitter, which i like in an IPA. . . . very aggressively hopped, it has almost a metallic taste from the bitterness-- overall pretty good. . . boulder beer also makes a good porter. . . .

dogfish
04-23-2006, 01:42 AM
right now i'm drinking a beer that i've never had before-- it's old guardian barleywine from one of my favorite breweries, stone. . .

pretty good! obviously a strong barley flavor, but not as sweet as the average barleywine. . . . as you would expect from a stone beer, it's pretty well hopped-- one of the reasons i love stone so much, they are mad freakin' hopheads, much like myself. . . :goofy: the bitterness of the hops counterbalances the sweetness of the barley, making kind of a funky aftertaste. . . .

overall, not one of the best brews i've had from stone, but then again barleywine isn't one of my favorite styles of beer either-- gotta try new things and keep your mind open or you may miss something. . .

WhoDeyBengals
04-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Right now, I'm drinking a beer that I picked over the weekend. Great Lakes Brewing Co's Conway's Irish Ale - it's a smooth red ale, creamy in flavor, with a low acidity and a slightly hoppy aftertaste. It's not going to satisfy the truest of the true hopheads, but if you're looking for a smooth, mellow ale, it's not a bad choice.

Last night, I tried Bell's Porter (mmmm, roasty) and Sam Adams Black Lager, which was a bit disappointing. The taste of it yelled "craft brew!," but overall, it was a little on the boring side.

Still on the menu to try: Sam Adam's Dopplebock, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, and Welaver's Brown Ale. I'll let you guys know.

As an aside, if you've got a Wild Oats in your area (not sure, it's a chain that popped up here in the 'Nati fairly recently), check it out. They keep a singles cooler, and you can build your own six pack from all of the great imports they carry for 8 bucks. Not a bad deal to get some variety. :beer:

dogfish
04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Right now, I'm drinking a beer that I picked over the weekend. Great Lakes Brewing Co's Conway's Irish Ale - it's a smooth red ale, creamy in flavor, with a low acidity and a slightly hoppy aftertaste. It's not going to satisfy the truest of the true hopheads, but if you're looking for a smooth, mellow ale, it's not a bad choice.

Last night, I tried Bell's Porter (mmmm, roasty) and Sam Adams Black Lager, which was a bit disappointing. The taste of it yelled "craft brew!," but overall, it was a little on the boring side.

Still on the menu to try: Sam Adam's Dopplebock, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, and Welaver's Brown Ale. I'll let you guys know.

As an aside, if you've got a Wild Oats in your area (not sure, it's a chain that popped up here in the 'Nati fairly recently), check it out. They keep a singles cooler, and you can build your own six pack from all of the great imports they carry for 8 bucks. Not a bad deal to get some variety. :beer:

haha, i worked at wild oats when i lived in d-town. . . the one in c-bus has a pretty nice beer selection (including dogfish head!!), and the whole foods has a killer selection. . . .

the bell's porter is good. . . .

i know that a lot of people around here like the great lakes beers, but i haven't been overly impressed with them-- they're not bad, but i haven't found them to be worth the price. . . i've had the dortmunder gold at the cav's arena, and i thought it sucked. . . they make a beer called nosferatu that is quite good-- a nice hoppy amber ale, and the packaging is awesome. . . .

WhoDeyBengals
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Okay, quick beer update!

Wolaver's Brown Ale by Otter Creek Brewing is simply amazing. Easily the best brown I've ever had. It's got the chocolate malt taste of a porter, but there are also caramel undertones and a slightly spicy bite from the three varieties of hops that they put in there. It's one of the first organic brews I've ever tried, and man, I guess I just didn't know what I was missing! This stuff is great! Try it!

9/10!!

dogfish
04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Okay, quick beer update!

Wolaver's Brown Ale by Otter Creek Brewing is simply amazing. Easily the best brown I've ever had. It's got the chocolate malt taste of a porter, but there are also caramel undertones and a slightly spicy bite from the three varieties of hops that they put in there. It's one of the first organic brews I've ever tried, and man, I guess I just didn't know what I was missing! This stuff is great! Try it!

9/10!!

ahhh, but have you tried the indian brown yet? if you have and you didn't like it, it's cool to say so. . . . and if you haven't i'm gonna keep badgering you until you do-- for your own good of course. . . . ;)

i will look for the wolaver's-- sounds good!

WhoDeyBengals
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
ahhh, but have you tried the indian brown yet? if you have and you didn't like it, it's cool to say so. . . . and if you haven't i'm gonna keep badgering you until you do-- for your own good of course. . . . ;)

i will look for the wolaver's-- sounds good!

Man, who makes that stuff again? I actually looked to see if any of the bottles in the cooler at Wild Oats was an Indian Brown, and I didn't find it. Give me a brand name and I'll make an effort!

Sorry dude, I just keep missing it!

It's a shame, because I can freakin' remember Shiner Bock but I can't remember something that the other beer expert keeps recommending.

dogfish
04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Man, who makes that stuff again? I actually looked to see if any of the bottles in the cooler at Wild Oats was an Indian Brown, and I didn't find it. Give me a brand name and I'll make an effort!

Sorry dude, I just keep missing it!

It's a shame, because I can freakin' remember Shiner Bock but I can't remember something that the other beer expert keeps recommending.

it's dogfish head, of course. . . . :D

;)

you actually might be able to get it at wild oats, the one in c-bus has it. . . . .

WhoDeyBengals
04-24-2006, 09:59 PM
it's dogfish head, of course. . . .

;)

you actually might be able to get it at wild oats, the one in c-bus has it. . . . .

All they had was the IPA's! I gotta keep looking, I guess :(

dogfish
04-24-2006, 10:15 PM
All they had was the IPA's! I gotta keep looking, I guess :(

why mess around looking for it? go back to my first post in this thread and get the phone number for the c-bus distributor. . . . they supply all the stores in cincy-- i talked to a woman there, and she said if you call 'em up, they will direct you to the store closest to where you live that carries the brews you want. . . make it easy on yourself!

Reidman
04-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Have any of you tried Skinny Dip...?? The beer that is.. :D
Made by New Belgium brewery it has a slight cistrusy after taste with a subtle hoppiness but that gets masked quickly by the after taste. A good seasonal brew but nothing to write home to mom about.

The only reason I tried it was because we were talking that specific brand not too long ago so I thought I'd give it a shot.

They also had another there called sunshine, a wheat beer. I don't usually drink those but I'll try anything once so I will let you know if I ever try it. Happy Drinking!!

dogfish
04-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Have any of you tried Skinny Dip...?? The beer that is.. :D
Made by New Belgium brewery it has a slight cistrusy after taste with a subtle hoppiness but that gets masked quickly by the after taste. A good seasonal brew but nothing to write home to mom about.

The only reason I tried it was because we were talking that specific brand not too long ago so I thought I'd give it a shot.

They also had another there called sunshine, a wheat beer. I don't usually drink those but I'll try anything once so I will let you know if I ever try it. Happy Drinking!!

i can't get new belgium here-- but my best friend in colorado was just telling me that he likes the skinny dip. . . .

i'll probably try it when i'm out there this week. . . .

Broncofan-13
04-25-2006, 01:41 PM
The only beers I will consider drinking would be krystalweissen and this other german bier. onther than that, I stick with strongbow, magners, and smirnoff twists (green apple, yay.)

horsesense
04-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Stuttgart Hoffbrau.. :beer:
One of THE best beers Ive ever had...
These days I drink Corona Light with a lemon wedge. Not bad for a light beer, and the lemon keeps the flies away.. ;)

Reidman
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Ok, if I was searching for a great IPA I may have found the holy grail on this one.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before in this thread but Ruination IPA by Stone brewing is AWESOME!!... A hop head's delight, and easily the best I've ever tried, I am not even kidding. I could practically taste hops like they were being poured in my mouth that's how strong it is. The taste was not overwhelming though which was the best part. The malt was still detectable and left a great after taste.

If the Dogfish is even better, which I think it is from what dog has been telling me, then I can't wait to try it. I actually found the Ruination at Wild Oats and they told me they could order Dogfish Head from their distributor so I should be trying that one soon. For now I'll enjoy and savor the Ruination, by far the best IPA I've ever had!!

"A Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop."

dogfish
05-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Ok, if I was searching for a great IPA I may have found the holy grail on this one.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before in this thread but Ruination IPA by Stone brewing is AWESOME!!... A hop head's delight, and easily the best I've ever tried, I am not even kidding. I could practically taste hops like they were being poured in my mouth that's how strong it is. The taste was not overwhelming though which was the best part. The malt was still detectable and left a great after taste.

If the Dogfish is even better, which I think it is from what dog has been telling me, then I can't wait to try it. I actually found the Ruination at Wild Oats and they told me they could order Dogfish Head from their distributor so I should be trying that one soon. For now I'll enjoy and savor the Ruination, by far the best IPA I've ever had!!

"A Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop."

nice post buddy, and good call on bumping this thread. . . . i've got a few fantastic beers that i tried when i was in denver over the weekend that i'm gonna write posts on soon. . . .

as for the ruination-- killer!! one of my favorite IPAs too-- as you said, it's strong but mellow, intense hop taste but the big barley flavor counterbalances the bitterness nicely. . . . really excellent brew-- stone is one of my favorite breweries because they're absolute hopheads!!

i think you'll find that the 90 minute IPA has some similar characteristics. . . although i personally like it even better than the ruination, they are certainly comparable beers, you may not like the dogfish head better than the stone. . . the 120 minute IPA is another matter though. . . . that one is the TRUE hopheads holy grail-- even says so on the bottle. . . . :laugh: but i didn't take their word for it-- and you shouldn't either! try it for yourself. . . . :D

dogfish
05-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Tomorrow: Cinco de Mayo!

¡Espero que todos será bebiendo muchas cervezas!

pass the modelo!

dogfish
05-07-2006, 01:31 AM
here's a great beer name-- old leg humper porter!! the label has a picture of this fat old black lab and three pairs of great female legs in short black skirts with the phrase "so many legs-- so little time!"

a very nice, mellow porter-- not too robust. . . . extraordinarily smooth, fit for drinking almost any time. . . . very clean finish with a slightly sweet aftertaste. . .

one of my favorite porters. . . soon it'll be too warm for me to drink dark beer, i've got to enjoy them while i still can. . . .

Reidman
05-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Check this out!!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/beergeek/usmicroale.html

Anybody ever ordered brew online...??
Will it come all shaken up...??

Any opinions on online ordering, please post.......!

armedequation
05-07-2006, 04:38 AM
here's a great beer name-- old leg humper porter!!

lol they named the porter this because thats what happens after too much of it :D

dogfish
05-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Check this out!!

vBulletin Message
You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to Reidman again.

dude, i'll get ya as soon as i can. . . . . :D

what a fantastic site man, i'm totally impressed-- and excited, because they recently added ohio to their list of states they can ship to. . . . SCORE!!

to answer your question, i've never ordered beer online before-- before 5 minutes ago, that is!! yea, you guessed it-- dogfish had to send in an order before i closed the site. . . . . :laugh:

unfortunately, they were out of the 120 minute IPA, but i ordered 6 bottles of the beast, my second favorite beer of all time behind the 120 minute. . . . pretty damn impressive selection! as for it coming all shaken up-- i can't see why it would get shaken any more being shipped to your house than being shipped to your local LQ, it's the same process after all. . . . as long as they don't let it get really hot or anything-- but i'm not worried about it. . . . if i have any problems when i get my shipment, i'll let ya know, lol!

awesome find reid, thanks for posting it!

are you gonna place an order?

Jaws
05-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Check this out!!

I bought some organic beer online once. I can't remember the brand, it was some german brand I think but it was very nice.

dogfish
05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
my second favorite beer of all time (at least so far!). . .

the BEAST!!

brewed by avery, in boulder. . . i know i've mentioned it before in this thread, but i didn't describe it because i hadn't had one in quite some time-- i drank several bottles when i was in colorado over draft weekend. . . WOOT WOOT!!

immense. . . . intense!! it's avery's grand cru, in other words the best and biggest beer that they brew-- it's a belgian style, probably would be considered a quadrupel because of the many different malts used. . . barley, wheat, honey, raisins, dates, molasses, turbinado sugar and belgian light candi sugar give it an incredibly rich and complex taste, almost impossible to describe adequately-- you just gotta try this one for yourself to really have any idea. . .

6 different hops and a touch of spice help counterbalance the sweetness, and put the flavor over the top-- easily the widest array of flavors i've ever encountered in one beverage. . . it checks in at a whopping 15 % ABV-- definitely not for the beer novice or the faint of heart! every lover of really good beer seriously needs to tip a bottle of this stuff at least once in their life. . . .

WhoDeyBengals
05-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Check this out!!

Two things happened after I read this post:

1.) I added a new website to my favorites.
2.) I gave someone a CP.

dogfish
05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Two things happened after I read this post:

1.) I added a new website to my favorites.
2.) I gave someone a CP.

what, your mouth didn't start watering?

dogfish
05-12-2006, 12:03 PM
reid-- i am psyched, man!! just got my order from that site, they do an awesome job of packaging and the bottles look just fine. . . . but here's the absolutely killer part-- they sent me the 2004 batch of the beast, not the '05, so it's already been aged a year. . . . i am freakin' thrilled about that!!! this beer ages wonderfully, the taste continues to mature and develop just like wine does with aging-- i have one lonely bottle of '04 that i've been saving for two years now, and every time i look at it i want to drink it-- i never thought i'd be able to get any more of it!!

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

:rockon:

WhoDeyBengals
05-13-2006, 09:17 AM
reid-- i am psyched, man!! just got my order from that site, they do an awesome job of packaging and the bottles look just fine. . . . but here's the absolutely killer part-- they sent me the 2004 batch of the beast, not the '05, so it's already been aged a year. . . . i am freakin' thrilled about that!!! this beer ages wonderfully, the taste continues to mature and develop just like wine does with aging-- i have one lonely bottle of '04 that i've been saving for two years now, and every time i look at it i want to drink it-- i never thought i'd be able to get any more of it!!

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

WOW!

That's freaking awesome! Okay, I'm excited.

*shakes fist at bank account* Why don't you have more beer money in there!? I want one of everything!!!

Reidman
05-13-2006, 09:28 AM

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

:rockon:

Dude, that is AWESOME!!!

It seems like it took no time at all for you to get, what a week or so maybe two (not sure when you ordered it...) Glad the results were good too because honestly you take a chance ordering anything through the mail but beer especially. Now I can't wait to get mine.

Whodey, I hear ya, it's frickin spendy. I won't be downing these brews on a regular basis but it's good to know there's a place to go to try the stuff you can't get anywhere locally.

WhoDeyBengals
05-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Dude, that is AWESOME!!!

It seems like it took no time at all for you to get, what a week or so maybe two (not sure when you ordered it...) Glad the results were good too because honestly you take a chance ordering anything through the mail but beer especially. Now I can't wait to get mine.

Whodey, I hear ya, it's frickin spendy. I won't be downing these brews on a regular basis but it's good to know there's a place to go to try the stuff you can't get anywhere locally.

dogfish's endorsement has done a bunch for my confidence... now I'm even more tempted to throw down a big order. I'm thinking maybe ten bucks to start.

Reid, what did they charge you for the shipping on your order, btw?

Reidman
05-13-2006, 09:46 AM
dogfish's endorsement has done a bunch for my confidence... now I'm even more tempted to throw down a big order. I'm thinking maybe ten bucks to start.

You don't want to know......... :heh:
Lets just say it was almost half my order...

That's the part that kills the cost effectiveness of it but sometimes you do what you gotta do. I"m not sure if the S&H changes by state, it seems like it would.

dogfish
05-13-2006, 09:51 AM
WOW!

That's freaking awesome! Okay, I'm excited.

*shakes fist at bank account* Why don't you have more beer money in there!? I want one of everything!!!

see reid's sig. . . . . :laugh:

dogfish
05-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Dude, that is AWESOME!!!

exactly! i'll only use it to get beers i can't get locally, but unfortunately, my two all-time favorites were on that list, and now i can get them-- thanks to you, reid!!

:salute: :salute:

Reidman
05-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Help yourself......:laugh:

WhoDeyBengals
05-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Are you kidding me?! Oak Aged Yeti and Dead Guy Ale are two of my favorites! I'd love for someone to sell a twelver that had those beers in there - I'd split it with ya, on the condition you drink the IPA's and leave the rest for me ;)

dogfish
05-13-2006, 09:54 AM

whodey, i paid about $10 on a $50 order-- steep, but i'm willing to pay it for beers of this calibre. . . . make sure you get the indian brown and the avery czar!!

dogfish
05-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Are you kidding me?! Oak Aged Yeti and Dead Guy Ale are two of my favorites! I'd love for someone to sell a twelver that had those beers in there - I'd split it with ya, on the condition you drink the IPA's and leave the rest for me ;)

you know reid and i are all about the IPAs. . . . . :D

Reidman
05-13-2006, 09:58 AM
whodey, i paid about $10 on a $50 order-- steep, but i'm willing to pay it for beers of this calibre. . . . make sure you get the indian brown and the avery czar!!

Damn, I knew it was location based as far as the S&H. The place is located out of Illinois.....I live in WA state. I paid way more in shipping.....

Reidman
05-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Mmmmm, IPA...........gluggghhhhhhhhh...(<------In Homer Simpson fashion)

Speaking of which I tried The Immortal IPA out of Seattle last night. Very malty, not as hoppy as I like or would have expected. A great aftertaste and smooth. Overall, not a bad IPA, I am just spoiled with better stuff now I guess....

Also, had Stone's regular IPA. The Ruination actually ruined my interpretation of this lesser brew. It was like driving a Ferrari the first time (with the Ruination) and then hopping into a honda accord the next time around, (with their regular IPA).

I guess I expected the same intense, bold hoppy flavor from this one and didn't get it. Don't get me wrong though, the flavor was there, and it's a great brew to sit and relax too, just not as intense.

dogfish
05-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Damn, I knew it was location based as far as the S&H. The place is located out of Illinois.....I live in WA state. I paid way more in shipping.....

sorry about that! good news for whodey, bad news for you. . . . . :ugh:

Reidman
05-17-2006, 10:01 AM
sorry about that! good news for whodey, bad news for you. . . . . :ugh:
Ok I did a couple different scenarios as far as orders and found I can get the same amount of beer or more for that matter and pay less shipping as long as you order the larger bottles (22 to 25 OZ'ers). Makes sense too, more beer, less shipping costs.

Ok dog, where all dying to hear about some of the brews you ordered. I know you've
dipped into that shipment by now so give us the scoop man..... ;)

dogfish
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Ok I did a couple different scenarios as far as orders and found I can get the same amount of beer or more for that matter and pay less shipping as long as you order the larger bottles (22 to 25 OZ'ers). Makes sense too, more beer, less shipping costs.

Ok dog, where all dying to hear about some of the brews you ordered. I know you've
dipped into that shipment by now so give us the scoop man..... ;)

believe it or not, i actually haven't dipped into it yet. . . . . . .

i only ordered six bottles of the Beast, and it's pretty intense stuff-- i generally save it for special occasions. . . . they only let you order six bottles of that one at a time, so i did place an order for six more today. . . . :heh:

i had ordered six bottles of the Czar as well, but they just sent me an email today saying they only had one bottle of it left-- speaking of which, whoever places the next order should snag that. . . . when i ordered today, i tried to order the left hand warrior IPA-- out. . . . and the rogue honey cream ale-- out. . . . i did order two of the two brothers heavy hand IPA, and two of the avery 14er ESB. . . .

reid, you would like the two brothers hop juice, and probably the bitter end pale ale as well. . . .

i've exchanged several emails with them trying to get the dogrfish head raison d'extra, but they don't have that one yet-- you should all definitely be on the lookout for this one. . . .

it's an imperial version of their raison d'etre, which is a dark amber ale brewed with green raisins and a sense of purpose, lol! the raison d'extra is a rich, deep mahagony color-- the initial taste is an intense, fruity sweetness, even sweeter than the regular raison, with maple notes. . . . the aftertaste is extraordinarily bitey, with the strongest alcohol flavor i've ever tasted in a beer-- it reminded me of a strong brandy, actually!! pretty wild. . . . i checked on the dogfish head website, and they list the ABV as "18% +," whatever exactly that translates to. . . . strong as hell, in any case!! very impressive brew. . . .

WhoDeyBengals
05-20-2006, 12:41 PM
And now, I give you the Top 50 WORST beers. (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp)

Giveemlove
05-20-2006, 01:21 PM
And now, I give you the Top 50 WORST beers. (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp)

Ha ha....these cracked me up....
1 Busch NA Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc. 0.88 74 Low Alcohol

9 Coors Non-Alcoholic Coors Brewing Company (MolsonCoors) 0.99 59 Low Alcohol

WhoDeyBengals
05-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Ha ha....these cracked me up....
1 Busch NA Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc. 0.88 74 Low Alcohol

9 Coors Non-Alcoholic Coors Brewing Company (MolsonCoors) 0.99 59 Low Alcohol
I was surprised that they were even included on the list. NA beer isn't BEER!

I think the Chili beers they have listed should have been further up the list. Nothing more disgusting in the world than Chili beer. YUCK! :sick:

Reidman
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
HA HA!

I just received my order from the beergeek (finally...:ugh: )
Double boxed with plenty of popcorn foam so my concern about breakage was well laid to rest. I did notice I am missing a bottle of vanilla porter so I am wondering if they were out of stock or just forgot or if I'll get credited.

I can't believe I am in possesion of so many brews that are near impossible to get locally. This place is great. I didn't realize I had ordered a six pack of dogfish (mix and match) and I can't wait to taste them all. I guess somebody sold me on that brand before I even tried it...... ;)

dogfish
05-23-2006, 12:18 PM
HA HA!

I just received my order from the beergeek (finally... )
Double boxed with plenty of popcorn foam so my concern about breakage was well laid to rest. I did notice I am missing a bottle of vanilla porter so I am wondering if they were out of stock or just forgot or if I'll get credited.

I can't believe I am in possesion of so many brews that are near impossible to get locally. This place is great. I didn't realize I had ordered a six pack of dogfish (mix and match) and I can't wait to taste them all. I guess somebody sold me on that brand before I even tried it......

and i can't wait to hear what you think of it. . . . . . :D

dogfish
05-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Nice thread guys.

Dogfish and Reid, how was your experience with beergeek? I'ma thinkin of going on a little spending spree

i highly recommend it. . . . of course, i live relatively close to them, it seems my stuff got here quicker and i paid considerably less shipping than reid did. . . . i've already placed a second order if that tells you anything. . . . it certainly isn't the world's cheapest way to buy beer, so i would say only use them to get beers you know you can't find anywhere locally-- that's how i'm going to use them. . . .

if you place an order and find something you really like, you can usually find a website or phone number for the brewery, and contact them to see where the nearest distributor is-- i've had good success with that. . . . . if you have questions about certain beers they offer, feel free to run them by me-- i certainly haven't tried all the beers they offer or even close, but i have tried quite a few of them. . . . . if you place an order and try some new stuff, don't forget to post it here! :D

dogfish
05-24-2006, 08:14 PM
ok guys, i just got my second order from beergeek today-- they rock!!

had to bust into it right away. . . i'm drinking an avery 14'er ESB (that's extra special bitter for those who don't know)-- pretty good. . . ironically, ESBs generally aren't all that bitter, especially compared to IPAs, and this one is no exception. . . .

it's smooth and crisp, pretty mellow-- nice summer beer, light body and very citrusy flavor, a little sour aftertaste but not overwhelming. . . this is a beer for picnics and barbeques, camping trips and late nights on the patio. . . . not impressive by avery's standards, but perfectly drinkable and would be a good choice for the less adventurous drinker. . . . not as complex as what i like. . .

reid, what's up buddy-- no report on the 90 minute IPA yet? :confused:

you're slackin' man!! :D

Reidman
05-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Nice thread guys.

Dogfish and Reid, how was your experience with beergeek? I'ma thinkin of going on a little spending spree :D
My experience was good.

I paid a little more in shipping because of my location and the fact that I ordered 12 beers (all 12 oz).

I realized if you buy the 22 oz'ers you can get just as much brew and save shipping costs but not all brands and varieties come in 22 oz unfortunately.

Packaging was exceptional!

Reidman
05-25-2006, 06:41 AM
ok guys, i just got my second order from beergeek today-- they rock!!

had to bust into it right away. . . i'm drinking an avery 14'er ESB (that's extra special bitter for those who don't know)-- pretty good. . . ironically, ESBs generally aren't all that bitter, especially compared to IPAs, and this one is no exception. . . .

it's smooth and crisp, pretty mellow-- nice summer beer, light body and very citrusy flavor, a little sour aftertaste but not overwhelming. . . this is a beer for picnics and barbeques, camping trips and late nights on the patio. . . . not impressive by avery's standards, but perfectly drinkable and would be a good choice for the less adventurous drinker. . . . not as complex as what i like. . .

reid, what's up buddy-- no report on the 90 minute IPA yet?

you're slackin' man!!

Lol. Ok dog I did have a couple of the 90 minute and a Chicory stout so far from that batch.

First the 90 minute: Somehow they found a way to wrap up every style of beer that I enjoy into one flavorful, smooth, hoppy-ass brew. This beer is one of the best I have ever tried and it saddens me that it's not local. Upon my first sip it appeared more of a stout or porter rather than IPA. Very smooth drinkability and and hints of caramel and molasses. The hops shine through in the aftertaste and that's where it presents itself as a true IPA. Dog, you must know my exact tastes to recommend this beer so highly and I am glad I ordered multiple bottles of this stuff because there is no way to savor just one. I CAN'T wait to try the 120-minute!!

Onto the Chicory stout: When I first tipped this one the initial taste was very subtle. As you continue to drink it though, the subtleness gives way to a flavor burst. I think I read that it was brewed with mexican coffee which I could definitely distinguish. But what I liked was it's burnt-like flavor. This beer went down so smooth and so good in fact, I finished it in a matter of minutes.

I am with Dogfish in highly recommending these brews to anyone who enjoys a flavorful, full-bodied smooth brew. This is possibly becoming my favorite brewery and I may just need to relocate to an area that stocks them locally, lol...:laugh:

anton...
05-25-2006, 06:59 AM
OMG.....

OH... MY.. GOD....

american beer is crap except some north western micro breweries.... cos they like the hops and so do i...

BUT GEEZ....

have any of u had OZZY BEER?!?!! like the real deal!?!?!?

COS ITS THEEEEEE BEST...!!! ohh... that and i loooove german and dutch beers.... cos every time ive been there... ive never had enough....

cmon guys... look outside ur nation for some real beers... i gurantee all of u that u will all be plesantly suprised.....

and im could have sworn that a simmilar thread existed like 6 months ago... or maybe i just had a deja vu... hmm... i dont know anymore...

LordTrychon
05-25-2006, 07:13 AM
OMG.....

OH... MY.. GOD....

american beer is crap except some north western micro breweries.... cos they like the hops and so do i...

BUT GEEZ....

have any of u had OZZY BEER?!?!! like the real deal!?!?!?

COS ITS THEEEEEE BEST...!!! ohh... that and i loooove german and dutch beers.... cos every time ive been there... ive never had enough....

cmon guys... look outside ur nation for some real beers... i gurantee all of u that u will all be plesantly suprised.....

and im could have sworn that a simmilar thread existed like 6 months ago... or maybe i just had a deja vu... hmm... i dont know anymore...
Did you have a different username at the time, or did you just look throught the threads as a visitor 6 months ago?

Jared
05-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Knock yourselves out.

I can testify that O'Briens in San Diego rocks.

http://beeradvocate.com/acbw/2006/places

anton...
05-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Did you have a different username at the time, or did you just look throught the threads as a visitor 6 months ago?

i was a visitor...
it was then that i learned that the bronocs had a forum.. but i wasnt into forums then... well till like 4 days ago.. when my mate convinced me to get onto a forum of my liking... and i chose the nfl and the broncs as my liking...

LordTrychon
05-25-2006, 07:41 AM
i was a visitor...
it was then that i learned that the bronocs had a forum.. but i wasnt into forums then... well till like 4 days ago.. when my mate convinced me to get onto a forum of my liking... and i chose the nfl and the broncs as my liking...
Cool! I was just curious. :salute: