PDA

View Full Version : U of O QB bomar cited for drinking underage a second time

armedequation
03-14-2006, 04:52 AM
for you Oklahoma fans:

OKLAHOMA CITY -- For the second time in six months, University of Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar has been cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Bomar was cited Friday in Oklahoma City after an undercover police officer spotted him drinking beer at the New Orleans Hornets basketball game at the Ford Center, police said Saturday.

Bomar was cited for the same offense in September in Norman after police responding to a party said they found him holding a mixed drink. That complaint later was dismissed for a lack of evidence.

OU head coach Bob Stoops is aware of the latest incident, but declined to comment publicly, said Kenny Mossman, associate athletic director for communications.

"He [Stoops] will handle it internally," Mossman said.

Bomar, 20, was sitting with several friends when an officer saw him pouring beer into a cup, said Oklahoma City Police Sgt. J.F. Balderrama.

"Apparently they were all sitting in the same section, and Mr. Bomar was taking the beer, putting it in a white cup and taking sips of it during the game," Balderrama said.

After the game, Bomar was approached by officers and acknowledged having several drinks, Balderrama said.

Bomar was taken into custody and transported to the police station, where he posted a bond and was released, Balderrama said.

Bomar pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charge, and a municipal court arraignment date was set for 8 a.m. on May 15, according to a clerk at the Oklahoma City Municipal Court.

As a redshirt freshman last season, Bomar set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards as OU went 8-4 with a win in the Holiday and was ranked No. 22 in the final AP poll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2365246

Emancipator
03-14-2006, 04:54 AM
Trouble trouble trouble.

broncofan303
03-14-2006, 06:46 AM
lol what an idiot!

Jared
03-14-2006, 06:56 AM
We know college kids drink. So, I am not going to make any comments on that wider, more generic issue.

But, in a place like Oklahoma, where OU and OSU are the major teams, you have to think you are recognizable.

I mean, I guess you think you won't get caught, but for it to happen a second time?

He needs to be probably given a minor suspension away from the team, just to take away a privilege.

Also, if I were the coach, I would just make absolutely sure that this is not part of a larger problem, whether a dependency, or depression, or whatever. It could just be youthful arrogance. Either way, I'd make sure.

Ultimately, after getting caught once, I would like to hear his answer as to why he made the same mistake twice? And how often does he drink without getting caught?

RoorRipper
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
It's his fault for getting caught... But come on.

90% of college students drink alcohol before age 21.

IrishConrad
03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
It's to bad....

Especially with the amount of under age stars who can get into Bars under age.

I don't think he's an idiot, as long as he wasn't doing anything wrong he shouldn't have been taken in and had to post bond.

I hate Pigs.

Jared
03-14-2006, 02:03 PM
It's to bad....

Especially with the amount of under age stars who can get into Bars under age.

I don't think he's an idiot, as long as he wasn't doing anything wrong he shouldn't have been taken in and had to post bond.

I hate Pigs.

Ah, but he WAS doing something wrong, underage drinking.

Your attitude toward police is saddening.

I'd feel more uspet if he was allowed to go because of who he was.

Just because it happens and some don't get caught doesn't mean that it is right.

IrishConrad
03-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Ah, but he WAS doing something wrong, underage drinking.

Sorry, just my opinion....I don't believe in underage drinking. I am from Ireland where the drinking age is 18.

I don't like to see people who are 20 years of age....getting arrested for having a beer.

Old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink in it.

Jared
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry, just my opinion....I don't believe in underage drinking. I am from Ireland where the drinking age is 18.

I don't like to see people who are 20 years of age....getting arrested for having a beer.

That's a seperate issue from whether or not the law was broken.

It was.

IrishConrad
03-14-2006, 02:33 PM
It was.

Yep.....be careful out there under-agers. :beer:

Nick7
03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
It's not fair to Bomar bacause the police have an advantage on him (a brain).

broncofan303
03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
It's not fair to Bomar bacause the police have an advantage on him (a brain).

LMAO...I can't believe I'm giving you a CP for that one, but that is well deserved...

The reason why he was an idiot is that they are in Oklahoma and this kid has played on national tv serveral times and was a highly recruited QB, so he should be recognized...and to do it at a Hornets game? Genious! There's usually nobody there... lol ....

mrsolo
03-15-2006, 09:13 AM
LMAO...I can't believe I'm giving you a CP for that one, but that is well deserved...

The reason why he was an idiot is that they are in Oklahoma and this kid has played on national tv serveral times and was a highly recruited QB, so he should be recognized...and to do it at a Hornets game? Genious! There's usually nobody there... lol ....

Have you been to a Hornets game in OKC? They've had better attendance than a lot of other NBA teams this year. Probably gonna be here next year too.

As far as Bomar goes, he'd better start growing up in a hurry. He has the potential to be the best QB in the Big XII next year. The talent is there. Hopefully the maturity is coming.

Sorry Nick, but that includes your boy Zac.

Jared
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Have you been to a Hornets game in OKC? They've had better attendance than a lot of other NBA teams this year. Probably gonna be here next year too.

I believe he was being sarcastic. There are usually LOTS of people there, so why did teh kid think he wouldn't be recognized?

Nick7
03-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry Nick, but that includes your boy Zac.

I agree, but considering the talent at WR we had last year compared to yours, I'd say he's a couple steps ahead of Bomar.

mrsolo
03-15-2006, 05:02 PM
I agree, but considering the talent at WR we had last year compared to yours, I'd say he's a couple steps ahead of Bomar.

Yeah, he had a good year. He showed a lot of composure. He got hit the whole game against OU, but he still stayed in there and played with composure.

I had to take a little jab at ya for the "a brain" comment. LOL

:beer:

broncofan303
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
I believe he was being sarcastic. There are usually LOTS of people there, so why did teh kid think he wouldn't be recognized?

Thanks, I was being sarcastic, glad some one got it...lol...

it was in a public places out of all the places is what I was trying to say, not to dogg on the the NO Hornets because they are a playoff team now...it was just idiotic to pour some liquor in his pop can and expect nobody to see that...lol...

Nick7
03-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, he had a good year. He showed a lot of composure. He got hit the whole game against OU, but he still stayed in there and played with composure.

I had to take a little jab at ya for the "a brain" comment. LOL

:beer:

No big deal. I was poking fun because he made a mistake (twice) and they are our rivals. I do believe he could be pretty dangerous (for opposing teams) next year, though.

aberdien
03-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Oklahomans... :P

IrishConrad
03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
as dumb as CU Fans!!!

ddddddeeeerrrrr......lets throw stuff on the field when we are losing. :goofy:

Nick7
03-17-2006, 05:55 AM
Oklahomans... :P

I live in Oklahoma...

aberdien
03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I live in Oklahoma...
So do I...

Straz1999
03-18-2006, 08:53 AM
I dont think its really that big of a deal. Have any of you ever cracked open a beer or tried to drink while at a concert and you werent 21? Seriously, this is a slap on the wrist and that is all. Boomer Sooner!

rcsodak
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I should hope he would.......being a juco transfer.

He's just not a Heupl.........sorry. :coffee:

Nick7
03-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I should hope he would.......being a juco transfer.

He's just not a Heupl.........sorry. :coffee:

He better not be, I forgot who Heupel played for in the NFL...

mrsolo
03-20-2006, 12:10 PM
He better not be, I forgot who Heupel played for in the NFL...

What does the NFL have to do with the fact that Josh led the Sooners to a National Championship in 2000?

Heupel played for the Miami Dolphins until he broke his wrist. That, coupled with a lingering elbow injury forced him to go another direction, coaching.

Nick7
03-20-2006, 02:13 PM
What does the NFL have to do with the fact that Josh led the Sooners to a National Championship in 2000?

Heupel was a good QB, but who wouldn't be with all that talent?

mrsolo
03-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Heupel was a good QB, but who wouldn't be with all that talent?

How many of his receivers from the 2000 team are in the NFL?

Nick7
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
How many of his receivers from the 2000 team are in the NFL?

I honestly don't know, but if Heupel was that much of a god then he would've beat Weinke for the heisman trophy.

mrsolo
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I honestly don't know, but if Heupel was that much of a god then he would've beat Weinke for the heisman trophy.

He did beat him head to head for the National Championship.

The only receiver from that team in the NFL is Andre Woolfolk, and he's playing corner.

Nick7
03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
He did beat him head to head for the National Championship.

The only receiver from that team in the NFL is Andre Woolfolk, and he's playing corner.

1) Partially true. Yes, Heupel's team beat Weinke's. Key word being TEAM. And if I'm not correct, it was OU's defense playing against Weinke. But what would I know, I'm only a Husker fan. ;)

2) I'm willing to bet your second statement is currently in the NFL.

Whatever though, I don't want to start a longer arguement, even though I kind of just added fuel to the fire. I respect OU as a team and I agree Heupel was a better college QB, but hopefully Taylor's NFL career, if he makes it, is more succesful.

broncofan303
03-20-2006, 10:32 PM
And what was the score of that championship game anyway? Like 12-0? I don't think Heupel necessarily outplayed Weinke, but he did a better job of managing the game, he reminds me of the Trent Dilfer Super Bowl team... Solid QB's with OUTSTANDING defenses... I give him some credit, but the bulk of that credit should go to OU's D...

broncofan303
03-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Whatever though, I don't want to start a longer arguement, even though I kind of just added fuel to the fire. I respect OU as a team and I agree Heupel was a better college QB, but hopefully Taylor's NFL career, if he makes it, is more succesful.

Taylor is already done at NU? I thought he was just a junior? The kid caught on fire at the end of the season, seemed like he couldn't miss anybody...

56crash
03-21-2006, 02:09 AM

is that not the truth !!! :beer:

mrsolo
03-21-2006, 07:14 AM
And what was the score of that championship game anyway? Like 12-0? I don't think Heupel necessarily outplayed Weinke, but he did a better job of managing the game, he reminds me of the Trent Dilfer Super Bowl team... Solid QB's with OUTSTANDING defenses... I give him some credit, but the bulk of that credit should go to OU's D...

Wouldn't that be considered, "outplaying" him? He did more to get his team in scoring position than Weinke did, and didn't look confused when he had pressure on him. It's been a while since I've seen a college QB with Heupel's poise.

Nick7
03-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Taylor is already done at NU? I thought he was just a junior? The kid caught on fire at the end of the season, seemed like he couldn't miss anybody...

Yeah he was only a Jr, but now he's a Senior. Istill have my doubts in him, but if he picks up where he left off last year, look for NU to be a force along with OU.

broncofan303
03-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Yeah he was only a Jr, but now he's a Senior. Istill have my doubts in him, but if he picks up where he left off last year, look for NU to be a force along with OU.

Well, they lose Ross and that one white WR too but they do have Lucky to fill in for Ross and they still have that big TE there too...sorry bout the name losses, lol its been a whole month without football... But they'll be competitive, I don't think you can count CU out either, It is a "rebuilding" year but I think thats when teams are at their most dangerous, when they find something that works, thats when it gets scary..

And about Heupel, Yes he was a very poised QB but I think yall can agree that it wasn't anything spectacular... I mean FSU's D was pretty good, but there were countless time when the OU D set up their offense in scoring position but come up empty. The score was actually 13-2, and that 2 points OU gave to FSU on that safety on the 1... That's how dominate that D was...

Nick7
03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, they lose Ross and that one white WR too but they do have Lucky to fill in for Ross and they still have that big TE there too

Yeah, we lost Ross, but we didn't lose a reciever.

If Lucky grows a brain he might be able to do good (taking a kneel at our own 1 yd line which causes a safety the next play).

We still have Herian (the TE) and if he plays the way he did a few years ago as a Jr, he will a 1st round pick for sure.

I definitely don't count CU out either. Who knows, you could have some stud QB that only CU knows about and maybe that coach will be able to work some magic.

Straz1999
03-22-2006, 04:42 AM
I think Nebraska will win the north but they wont be on the North's pedestal long, because I think Colorado made a solid hire in Dan Hawkins. When he gets his players in and his scheme working, Colorado should be a force to be reckoned with. And theyre not gonna quit anymore when they get down either. They did quit in a lot of games last year, and even in the big 12 title game against OU the year before. Still think the Sooners win the big 12, with Orange Bowl bid or possibly Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame a possibility if they can piece their offensive line together before fall practices start. Finally going to be able to go home this fall (norman) and see a few games in October, with my first one being OU/Texas. My first OU/Texas game in three years. I cant wait.

broncofan303
03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I think Nebraska will win the north but they wont be on the North's pedestal long, because I think Colorado made a solid hire in Dan Hawkins. When he gets his players in and his scheme working, Colorado should be a force to be reckoned with. And theyre not gonna quit anymore when they get down either. They did quit in a lot of games last year, and even in the big 12 title game against OU the year before. Still think the Sooners win the big 12, with Orange Bowl bid or possibly Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame a possibility if they can piece their offensive line together before fall practices start. Finally going to be able to go home this fall (norman) and see a few games in October, with my first one being OU/Texas. My first OU/Texas game in three years. I cant wait.

Nice...that game looks like great fun, hopefully you don't get the tickets where they split the OU and Texas fans... I hear some bad horror stories...

I think this is great, the Big 12 finally getting on it's feet again, we need all of these powerhouses, OU/Texas/Nebraska and Kansas State, Tech, A&M, and Colorado to be competitive...show all these other conferences how dominate we could be...

Nick7
03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I want K-State to stay down, I couldn't stand Snyder.

broncofan303
03-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I want K-State to stay down, I couldn't stand Snyder.

LOL They will be... Their whole team relied on Juco transfers and the only reason why they came was Snyder... I don't see them being as good as they use to be...

Nick7
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
They kinda started going downhill after Roberson (sp?) left.

DjWilliams55
04-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Man, its 18 to drink over here and i'm so happy it is! You guys goto college and cant 'legally' drink...dudes! sucks though coz i'll be in states for summer and will wanna drink in a bar whilst watching ESPN report that denver go another pre-season 4 and 0!