• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COOLTOOL
    Practice Squad
    • Nov 2003

Lord of the Rings/Return of the King...

Just got back after seeing this movie for the second time now... And I just gotta say, "H#ly S*it" This movie is awesome.

...I mean, and I don't want to offend anyone... But in my opinion, this is by far the best trilogy ever. And I mean EVER! I've seen all the Star Wars movies, and they just don't even hold a candle to the Lord of the Rings. If I was Speilberg, I would wait until Lord of the Rings is well out of everyones mind, before he releases the final new Star Wars. <-- It won't stand a chance. At this point... I think Peter Jackson has set the bar so high, for movies, that it will be a long time before any others can eclipse it.

... Peter Jackson shouldn't have made these movies... It's just not fair to the other movie makers.

... So what do you all think?
  • Jared
    Retired Mod
    • Aug 2003

I assume you mean, If I were LUCAS, would wait to relase the new Star Wars flick.

While I think Lucas as director tends to not draw out good performances, and certainly is not a great writer, the one difference between the two trilogies is that Lucas created his own mythology.

But yes, these 3 movies are far and away better than Star Wars, and I am a huge Star Wars fan. Better acting, better script, better pacing.

they are sooooooooooooo long though. WHich is funny, because each move could easily be 4 hours and still not fit everything in.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

• broncofan89
      Practice Squad
      • Dec 2003

hmm....

i think the l.o.t.r return of the king movie had a endig longer then the movie jeez.

Comment

• palehorse
        Practice Squad
        • Dec 2003

Re: Lord of the Rings/Return of the King...

Originally posted by COOLTOOL
        Just got back after seeing this movie for the second time now... And I just gotta say, "H#ly S*it" This movie is awesome.

...I mean, and I don't want to offend anyone... But in my opinion, this is by far the best trilogy ever. And I mean EVER! I've seen all the Star Wars movies, and they just don't even hold a candle to the Lord of the Rings. If I was Speilberg, I would wait until Lord of the Rings is well out of everyones mind, before he releases the final new Star Wars. <-- It won't stand a chance. At this point... I think Peter Jackson has set the bar so high, for movies, that it will be a long time before any others can eclipse it.

... Peter Jackson shouldn't have made these movies... It's just not fair to the other movie makers.

While LOTR may be a great trilogy, remember there are many others that can't hold a candle.... Sergio Leone

Man With No Name , DH, IJ, JB, MM, SW1, AP, AP(2), LC
        Last edited by palehorse; 12-30-2003, 11:21 PM.
        ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

Comment

• Ohio Broncos
          First, Last and Only
          • Nov 2003

Re: Lord of the Rings/Return of the King...

Originally posted by COOLTOOL

I agree with pretty much everything you said. What I like about what Jackson did with the trilogy is that he made us only wait a year between each movie. I can't stand the way Lucas makes us wait in between each movie. I don't know how it was with the first triology (alas, I'm too young), but I hate waiting three (or more) years to see the next story.

At least the Lord of the Rings trilogy keeps you on your toes (at least for those people who didn't read the books). With Star Wars, you know what's gonna happen. Sure you don't know how, but you know that Anakin is somehow gonna turn to the dark side. It takes a lot of drama out of the story, in my opinion.
          sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

• rascal
            Practice Squad
            • Aug 2003

The only thing I didn't like was the ending and how it had like 5 of them. I've read the books numerous times so I know how it ends, but if intended to close all the stories within the story, then he should not have left out Saruman's (evil wizard) fall in the shire. That would have added some punch to the boring ending. Otherwise it was very good and followed the books, I would like to see the extendned version though.
            Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

• Cara_Bella
              Practice Squad
              • Nov 2003

Hey dont give anything away, i havent seen it yet, but im going this weekend i cant wait. So far these have been my favorite movies ever. Im going to be sad at the end!!
              >>"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be
              happy."

>>~ Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Elway
                Master of Game Day!
                • Jun 2003

The movie was good, the battle scenes fantastic, but they could have made a 4th movie with all the ending scenes....

Wonder how many hours he will drag out King Kong.
                The Game Day Thread: Year 18 in progress!!!

Comment

• jbones733
                  Practice Squad
                  • Sep 2003

i dont understand some of you. He had to tie up a 10+ hour amazing trilogy. None of u were gonna wonder what happened to Frodo, Sam & the shire. I loved the ending, though it was fantastic along with the whole trilogy

Comment

• dandaman23
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2003

I have only seen the first one. It was a really good movie but it was way to long. I cant sit and watch a movie for 3 hours straight. When they come out on video I will have to rent it and watch half one day and half the next.
                    WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Comment

• jbones733
                      Practice Squad
                      • Sep 2003

hahah i hear ya dandaman my dad's like that too

The two towers is already out on DVD FYI

Comment

• BroncosFan74
                        Practice Squad
                        • Jan 2004

We watched the first two on Friday night on dvd...I loved them. They are long, but there's so much going on, you don't even notice. I think we're going to wait until Return of the King comes out on dvd though. I'd rather wait and spend the money on the dvd so I can watch it whenever I want to.

Comment

• RealBronco
                          Resident Film Critic
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Cara_Bella
                          Hey dont give anything away, i havent seen it yet, but im going this weekend i cant wait. So far these have been my favorite movies ever. Im going to be sad at the end!!

Simple solution: If you're afraid we'll give it away, don't read the thread hehehehe.
                          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• RealBronco
                            Resident Film Critic
                            • Sep 2003

Alrighty. Where to start. First, I've not read the books, I'm still on the first one so I really can't compare. And I love the movies. I didn't mind the ending of Return of the King. Although when you down a bucket o' pop half way through and have to piss like a race horse and have seen it already, it tends to seem to drag on. But I didn't want to miss anything still.

As far as the movies go...brilliant. All of the LOTR hype aside, and not being a fat nerd about the trilogy and all, nor having read the trilogy, I have watched the movies with the way they were filmed in mind. I'm a movie buff. I love to see a very well filmed and acted and plotted story.

The cinematography, coreography, acting, story, camera shots, views, scenery, all of it was just amazing and makes LOTR an historic trilogy that breaks the mold of film making and sets a standard that no one will match for a long time.
                            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Cara_Bella
                              Practice Squad
                              • Nov 2003

Ok i finally went to see it, i had to get away from the game, anyway i loved but i sat to close to the screen and with all the arial shots i felt like i was going to throw up the whole time.Now im so sad its over. I cant wait till it comes out on DVD so i can sit on my ass and watch them all in a row.
                              >>"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be
                              happy."

>>~ Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X