PDA

View Full Version : The Pressure on Manning is UNREAL!

jocool
01-03-2004, 09:08 AM
This guy has to win to remove the funk created by not winning a playoff game. If in fact the Colts lose, he will marked the Marty Schotenhiemer (spelled wrong) of Quaterbacks. Oh my goodness---I cant think of a worse lable to have on top of the stats and MVP honors. What a huge game this will be!

letgomyeggo
01-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I agree it is a huge game. It is the postseason and every game is big. I wonder how much of the "funk" has been generated by the media and internet jockeys. Has Manning actually said he would feel like a professional failure if his TEAM doesn't come out ready to play? I would love to see this perceived monkey off of his back. But for some reason I think Manning hasn't been reading these boards or reading any articles about him. I think he has been preparing for the game. At least I hope so. :)

O&B_Forever
01-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Regardless of what the bobble heads say he's great. He can't win the game on the sideline, and thats what is killing their ability to win playoffs. Their defense allows teams to sustain drives. However, I think Jake Plummer has more to prove than Manning, and I think he'll prove it too, while ramming the ball down the Colts defenses throat.

AsianOrange
01-03-2004, 10:25 AM
WellD ungy has brought him a defense...hopefully that will help him.

jocool
01-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Listen guys, you can spin this anyway you want to, if Manning doesnt win a playoff game- REGARDLESS HES SCREWED. He will be refered to until he does, a great QB that when it comes to winning when it really counts the PLayoffs ( he cant do it.) Media, bubble heads etc- they have no bearing- HE EITHER WINS OR he isnt a playoff type of QB, its really that simple. Lables are as sticky as tar in the NFL we all know this! It wont change for him until he wins a playoff game. Plummer has pressure but-not as much if the Broncos lose this it was a interesting stretch-and itll be stated without Plummers play the Bronocs wouldnt have made it this far.

Return of Lava
01-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Its dumb to critisize manning on whether he wins a playoff game or not. The is ridiculous that just cause he is 0-3 in the playoffs he gets questioned for his ability to win. Manning is a good QB regardless. The pressure should be on the COLTS for losing those games, not manning. Its not like he does anything by himself. why dont ther blame Harrison too? or james? its thier fault just as much as it is manning, its a ridiculous speculation. i feel bad for manning that he will drop to 0-4 and it will have nothing to do with him, but his team overall. Harrison and edge and te rest of the colts will walk cleanly away while manning will have to put up with bullsh*t about why HE didnt win.

dred
01-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Even if the Colts win tomorrow.....critics will find something else to discredit Manning.
Thats just the way it has been for the past 5 years (and going on the 4th playoff appearance in that span).

It will be something like...Manning can win a wildcard game but can not push his team all the way. Something pathetic like that.

Just watch.

bronco30
01-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by dred
Even if the Colts win tomorrow.....critics will find something else to discredit Manning.
Thats just the way it has been for the past 5 years (and going on the 4th playoff appearance in that span).

It will be something like...Manning can win a wildcard game but can not push his team all the way. Something pathetic like that.

Just watch.

good luck tomorrow but not to much.....your one of the cool guys from other team n dont really mouth off n like to talk f-ball.....

O&B_Forever
01-03-2004, 12:03 PM
I feel more sorry for the for the flying tuna man Dan Marino, if he is surpassed one day as the greatest QB stats-wise he'll still be known as the greatest QB to never win a Super Bowl. Unless of course he's surpassed by Peyton Manning and he never wins in the playoffs. Seguay...what would be worse for Peyton is if his brother Eli comes out and goes to a team like San Diego, which has weapons, and gets to Super Bowl before Peyton.

Elway
01-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Elway went through the same stuff until he won against Green Bay. Can he win a playoff game, can he take them to the SB, can he win the SB. Not easy only only anout two dozen qbs have won the SB.

Elway 2X
Starr 2X
Montanna 4x
Bradshaw 4X
Aikman 3x

A lot of good Qbs never won it.

O&B_Forever
01-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Tis true,

Sad when you think Trent Dilfer is considered a good QB, and Marino is considered a great one. But who has the ring???

Picker
01-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by AsianOrange
Well Dungy has brought him a defense...hopefully that will help him.

Another losing head coach. Need I say Mora, Reeves, Bugel?

Elway
01-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by O&B_Forever
Tis true,

Sad when you think Trent Dilfer is considered a good QB, and Marino is considered a great one. But who has the ring???

Exactly... Manning might be up there with the greatest but may never see a ring.

Brad Johnson was no QB Superstar and like Dilfer he had the help of a supporting cast to win.

O&B_Forever
01-03-2004, 12:28 PM
I think the Jury is still out on Brad Johnson. Their defense and special teams lost more games for them than he did. A running game and a receiver to stretch the field and then watch out.

Ftblman
01-03-2004, 12:30 PM
It does stink that when you really are a great q-back and no credit (or just a little) is given...In the NFL if you don't win the SB you are just another Q-Back....Marino,Kelly...and Almost Elway..WHEWWW... and i'm sure that i am missing a few,all were great Q-backs..As for Peyton,He will have to wait at least one More YEAR.....GO BRONCOS !!!!!!

TXBRONC
01-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by jocool
Listen guys, you can spin this anyway you want to, if Manning doesnt win a playoff game- REGARDLESS HES SCREWED. He will be refered to until he does, a great QB that when it comes to winning when it really counts the PLayoffs ( he cant do it.) Media, bubble heads etc- they have no bearing- HE EITHER WINS OR he isnt a playoff type of QB, its really that simple. Lables are as sticky as tar in the NFL we all know this! It wont change for him until he wins a playoff game. Plummer has pressure but-not as much if the Broncos lose this it was a interesting stretch-and itll be stated without Plummers play the Bronocs wouldnt have made it this far.

He's under some pressure, but it nothing like loosing three Super Bowls in four years. Elway was under the same kind of pressure most of his career. If Denver had lost to Green Bay in '97 I don't think he comes back in '98. When and if Manning leads his team to the Super Bowl then he'll know what pressure really is.

dred
01-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by booher
same ending again..........
NOT!

dred
01-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by AsianOrange
WellD ungy has brought him a defense...hopefully that will help him.
Yes it did.
Made a HUGE difference, along with the Offense deciding to show up.

dred
01-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
Its dumb to critisize manning on whether he wins a playoff game or not. The is ridiculous that just cause he is 0-3 in the playoffs he gets questioned for his ability to win. Manning is a good QB regardless. The pressure should be on the COLTS for losing those games, not manning. Its not like he does anything by himself. why dont ther blame Harrison too? or james? its thier fault just as much as it is manning, its a ridiculous speculation. i feel bad for manning that he will drop to 0-4 and it will have nothing to do with him, but his team overall. Harrison and edge and te rest of the colts will walk cleanly away while manning will have to put up with bullsh*t about why HE didnt win.
Ridiculous is right! 0-3 playoffs didn't seem to be that evident today.
At least you don't have to feel bad about Manning going 0-4. :D

dred
01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by bronco30
good luck tomorrow but not to much.....your one of the cool guys from other team n dont really mouth off n like to talk f-ball.....
You guys are cool too!
Some of the greatest fans I have met are on this board...

bronco30
01-04-2004, 05:38 PM
At least you don't have to feel bad about Manning going 0-4. :D

kick the chiefs a** good luck n great game....im glad 4 manning hes a good guy

dred
01-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bronco30
kick the chiefs a** good luck n great game....im glad 4 manning hes a good guy
Thanks a lot bronco30....you guys are great!

ColtsWin
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Next up....KC gets their asses handed to 'em.

Return of Lava
01-05-2004, 10:30 AM
At least you don't have to feel bad about Manning going 0-4. :D LOL yeah hey i guess it was his time. in the back of my mind i wondered if it would happen. good game and good luck to the colts.

pikman
01-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I've got nothing but respect for Peyton. He answered all of the questions leading up to the game, and then he stepped up when it was time too. I think it will be hard for any team in the AFC, KC, NE to compete with this club. They looked awfully motivated yesterday.

Funny, all week leading up to the game I kept re-reading the SI with Peyton on the cover hoping I could keep the jinx alive. :)

dred
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by pikman
I've got nothing but respect for Peyton. He answered all of the questions leading up to the game, and then he stepped up when it was time too. I think it will be hard for any team in the AFC, KC, NE to compete with this club. They looked awfully motivated yesterday.

Funny, all week leading up to the game I kept re-reading the SI with Peyton on the cover hoping I could keep the jinx alive. :)

Not sure if it was the SI Jinx that was kicking in the last time we played...but whatever it was, I am glad it is gone now.

Are you guys sure they didn't put Jake the Snake on the cover for the next issue and not tell anybody?

Nixhex78
01-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ColtsWin
Next up....KC gets their asses handed to 'em.

You may win but you won't hand us our asses. If you think your just going to roll into Arrowhead and whip us then you're mistaken. I like our chances. Extra week of rest. Playing at home not in a dome. Colts win emotional revenge game and are set up for a let down. The no huddle and audible style of offense is much more difficult when you can't hear yourself speak.

dred
01-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Nixhex78
You may win but you won't hand us our asses. If you think your just going to roll into Arrowhead and whip us then you're mistaken. I like our chances. Extra week of rest. Playing at home not in a dome. Colts win emotional revenge game and are set up for a let down. The no huddle and audible style of offense is much more difficult when you can't hear yourself speak.

Dome or no dome...is doesn't make much difference to the Colts and how they play. Grass slows BOTH teams down equally.

Extra week does help you with rest and to develop your gameplan. Fortunately we KNEW that with a win we would be playing KC. So that helped us prepare somewhat in advance for your team as well.

Emotional revenge game? Yeah I can see where your going with this one. Playoffs are about momentum. The team that is firing on all cylinders and can stay on top of their game usually goes far in the playoffs. Right now Indy has gotten hot at the right time.

No huddle will be a given. Audibles are just as effective with Mannings hand signals and clever little "gestures" he uses when the crowd noise becomes deafening. Visiting teams do tend to go offsides quite a bit more in those situations though.

I am hoping for a good game for both teams.
If we play anything close to the way we did last week....Chiefs are in serious trouble.