PDA

View Full Version : Pondering High School football

The|Snake#16
04-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I played football up through sixth grade(seasoned veteran, I know :D ), and i'm considering going out for football this year. The biggest thing is, i'll be going into my senior year, so that is quite troublesome. I've played basketball my whole life, and stopped playing it after freshman year, well I stopped playing for the school that is.

I'm 6'0" 170lbs, and i'm just curious what your experiences have been, and if it's too late for me to attempt to jump into it. I realize I should've participated, and it'll be rough for me since I won't know the playbook, but i'm just curious. Also, I am not quite sure what position i'd fit, I was thinking safety(I was going off the assumption that this might be an easier position to jump into, knowledge-wise) or WR, not to say i'm really good, but that's what I think i'd fit as. Also, for those of you who do play, what's a good work out schedule to be in shape before football starts?

Thanks guys, and gals.

BroncosB2B
04-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Safety takes a lot of read and react skill. You have to be willing to hit. Safety has a lot of responsibility. Just thought I'd let you know...

As far as your workouts are concerned, does your school have after school lifting sessions or team workouts? If so you should go. It will let the coaches know you are interested and serious about being a member of the team. You may also figure out where you may stand position wise if the coach gets an opportunity to evaluate you.

The|Snake#16
04-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Yea it's an odd situation, because i'm still in Arizona right now, but i'll be up in oregon(where I will be for my senior year) in early june. Thanks for the reply.

bcbronc
04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
do it!! if you dont, you'll probably look back with regret for the rest of your life.

as for what position you can play, it all depends on your speed and athleticism. can you catch? are you fast? do you love to hit people?

but truth be told, being a senior that hasnt played for 6 years you probably wont see the field a ton anyways. but even just to be a special teamer is well worth it.

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Once you get to Oregon, and find the school that you will be attending, go talk to the football coach right away. If the school is serious about football, than there will be summer workouts. Make sure you work hard during the summer though, because that will be your only time to shine, because you will be a senior.

While you are in Arizona, make sure you work out at least 3 times a week. Do the important stuff: Bench, Squat and Power Cleans. Make sure you do the extra stuff like: Curls, Lunges with dumbells, Step Ups, Push Ups, Sit Ups, Push Press and others like that. And most importantly, make sure you run ALOT so you are in great shape for once you get up there.

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:03 PM
do it!! if you dont, you'll probably look back with regret for the rest of your life.

as for what position you can play, it all depends on your speed and athleticism. can you catch? are you fast? do you love to hit people?

but truth be told, being a senior that hasnt played for 6 years you probably wont see the field a ton anyways. but even just to be a special teamer is well worth it.

Not true, because there are good players in the NFL that didn't play untill their senior year. Like Shawn Merriman, and he is an awsome player.

bcbronc
04-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Not true, because there are good players in the NFL that didn't play untill their senior year. Like Shawn Merriman, and he is an awsome player.

good point. :beer:

tpryce93
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I've played flag football from 4th-6th grade then i was old enough to play real football for my school from 7th to 8th. I'm gonna be a freshman year and i've played basketball since the 3rd grade. i'm not gonna do basketball this year. i don't know if i'm gonna do football as a freshman though. I haven't decided yet because i want to work and make money rather then play. although i do love football i love money more.

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I've played flag football from 4th-6th grade then i was old enough to play real football for my school from 7th to 8th. I'm gonna be a freshman year and i've played basketball since the 3rd grade. i'm not gonna do basketball this year. i don't know if i'm gonna do football as a freshman though. I haven't decided yet because i want to work and make money rather then play. although i do love football i love money more.

That is dumb, and if my head coach heard an excuse like that, he would slap you. Football is only availible for 4 years, and then it is gone. Soak in all of the fun of high school football once you can, cause once it is gone, you cannot get it back.

watchthemiddle
04-09-2006, 09:11 PM

Howie Long is another one that comes to mind...and I know there are many more but drawing a blank..

Definately do it....I played my FR, Soph, and Senior years and still regret not playing my junior year.

tpryce93
04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
That is dumb, and if my head coach heard an excuse like that, he would slap you. Football is only availible for 4 years, and then it is gone. Soak in all of the fun of high school football once you can, cause once it is gone, you cannot get it back.
what do you mean it's dumb??? I have my phone bill to pay car payments to make car insurance to pay. and trust me insurance is cheap at 16 years old.

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:14 PM
what do you mean it's dumb??? I have my phone bill to pay car payments to make car insurance to pay. and trust me insurance is cheap at 16 years old.

Ok, whatever, it's your loss. I am giving up a job and I get to play football. My 3 years of football left is more important than a stupid job for low pay and bad treatment.

tpryce93
04-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Ok, whatever, it's your loss. I am giving up a job and I get to play football. My 3 years of football left is more important than a stupid job for low pay and bad treatment.
would you rather me have my first car repossesed at the age of 16??

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
would you rather me have my first car repossesed at the age of 16??

Your gonna be a freshman, you don't even have a car yet, and you aren't old enough to get a good job anyways. But, like I said, you will be loosing the 4 best years of your life. Playing your favorite sport with your best friends, but whatever.

tpryce93
04-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Your gonna be a freshman, you don't even have a car yet, and you aren't old enough to get a good job anyways. But, like I said, you will be loosing the 4 best years of your life. Playing your favorite sport with your best friends, but whatever.
I'm gonna have my license by september. :coffee:

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm gonna have my license by september. :coffee:

Wow, you are an old freshman. Im not gonna get my license untill the end of my Sophmore year next year.

tpryce93
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Wow, you are an old freshman. Im not gonna get my license untill the end of my Sophmore year next year.
i'm gonna be 15 in july and if you take drivers ed then you can get your license at 15 but if you don't then you have to wait until your 16.

LbloodOjunkieG
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
It is his choice. Your OPINION is that football is more important, but his OPINION is it is not. Just because not everybody shares your OPINION doesn't make them dumb, or stupid.

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:31 PM
i'm gonna be 15 in july and if you take drivers ed then you can get your license at 15 but if you don't then you have to wait until your 16.

Oh, I didnt' even know it was legal to get your license at 15.

tpryce93
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Oh, I didnt' even know it was legal to get your license at 15.
it might be different in colorado. but it's 15 here with drivers ed 16 without it.

BVP
04-09-2006, 09:36 PM
it might be different in colorado. but it's 15 here with drivers ed 16 without it.

It must be. Cause I have already taken my Drivers Ed classes, and I don't turn 15 untill May, and all I can get it my Permit.

The|Snake#16
04-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys i'm gonna see what I can do. And to be honest, I don't really know my strengths, I haven't picked up a football competitively for quite a while. I was thinking free safety, I consider myself pretty aware(from basketball), and I think I could get up for INTs and covering over the top and in the middle. I'm not the fastest guy, but i'd say i'm pretty quick.

The thing about working out is, I don't have a weight bench at home, and I can't really afford(with car insurance, gas money, etc) to join a gym. What could I do at my house that would benefit me? the school i'm going to in Oregon is my old school(I just came down to AZ for 1 year), and I know for a fact they have summer workouts, however i'd like to get a headstart so i'm not far behind.

SeekandDestroy
04-09-2006, 10:20 PM

yep, colorado...16 years is license age.

BroncosB2B
04-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys i'm gonna see what I can do. And to be honest, I don't really know my strengths, I haven't picked up a football competitively for quite a while. I was thinking free safety, I consider myself pretty aware(from basketball), and I think I could get up for INTs and covering over the top and in the middle. I'm not the fastest guy, but i'd say i'm pretty quick.

The thing about working out is, I don't have a weight bench at home, and I can't really afford(with car insurance, gas money, etc) to join a gym. What could I do at my house that would benefit me? the school i'm going to in Oregon is my old school(I just came down to AZ for 1 year), and I know for a fact they have summer workouts, however i'd like to get a headstart so i'm not far behind.

Does the school you are going to now have workouts after school? I know mine does. Just because you aren't going to be playing football fot eh school in Arizona shouldn't prevent you from trying to get better anyways.