PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Next Year?

DenverBuckeye
04-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I was just wandering who you guys think will be in the top 5 next year and where you think Ohio State will fit in. I think with Chris Wells coming in they have a good shot at winning it all even though they only have two returning starters on defense.

So, what do you think?

jhns
04-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Cornhuskers will obviously be #1 in the nation.

IrishConrad
04-17-2006, 12:03 AM
#1-Ohio State
#2-Texas
#3-Auburn
#4-Notre Dame
#5-Nebraska

I want to see CSU and CU back in the top 25. It will be good for our state. And make the Rocky Mtn Showdown that much better. :beer:

Straz1999
04-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Cornhuskers will obviously be #1 in the nation.
Hahahahaha!!!!!!

No they wont. Probably not even top ten. And I'm not being biast, i am being serious. I hope im wrong (about the top ten) but I dont think they will be.

My top 5 is gonna go a little like this.....

#1 Notre Dame. They return almost everyone on offense that matters, (Quinn, Szemardja, I think thats how you spell it, and walker) and their defense is going to be much better. They also play one of the toughest schedules in the nation, year in year out.

#2 West Virginia. I can already hear the howls but this team returns virtually everybody from a team that went 11-1 and won the sugar bowl against Georgia. Their only loss was a 5 pointer to VTech, and their schedule is super weak with a 1-aa opponent on it as well. Theyre only tough game will be against Louisville.

#3 Oklahoma. Sooners will have an unforgiving, ferocious defense that will be relentess against offenses, the offensive line will not be participating in the truffle shuffle and quarterback Rhett Bomar has a year of seasoning. Oh yeah, and they will return that Peterson guy, I heard he's kinda good. Theyre defensive line will be the best in the nation. Their toughest games will be at Oregon, Texas (at Dallas) and at Texas A&M(one of the toughest places to play in the country). Other than that they should walk through their conference.

#4 LSU. Les Miles returns a great offense and a pretty good defense, although making it out of the SEC undefeated is always tough, even with their conference title game. Jamarcus Russell looks to solidify his role as "the Quarterback" while Ryan Perriloux will be breathing down his neck in case he jacks it up. LSU is starting to become a regular in the top ten every year.

#5 Florida. They lost a couple of key players in the draft, but werent hurt that bad. They will show more consistency in the running game which is something they lacked last year. Their defense will be better and they had one of the best recruiting classes in the nation. They will have some players that can play immediately that can earn valuable spot time to give other players rest. They and LSU will duke it out in the SEC title game.

Dont like mine just because I didnt pick your team?? Fine, but state a reasonable argument for it if you do, and not statements like "that team sucks". Do some actual research.

NJBRONCOSFAN
04-17-2006, 07:04 AM
I dont' have a specific order, but I think Ohio State and LSU should be near the top.
To start the season, I'd say ND might be #5 but that would be the highest I could see them starting off the season (this coming from a huge ND fan)

I also think WVU has to be near the top, even though they play in an inferior conference.
Even though USC lost a bunch of guys to the nfl they will still be contenders (after all, they've been losing guys to the nfl every year now for a few years, and it hasn't made a difference)

I also think Florida may see a return to the top five.

However, the national championship will go to ND. :D

jhns
04-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Nebraska has a good shot at getting top 10. They have been drastically improving especially as the new coaches players are getting to be sophmores and juniors now and able to start. He has done good running his passing offense with a team that was built strictly for the run. Now that he has his players he is getting real good. Plus they play the #1 and 2 team from last year and a lot of other good teams so if they win some of these key games they will be boosted way into the top of the rankings. I say this because a lot of good teams never get a chance to be high ranked because they dont play high enough ranked teams for anyone to rank them.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-17-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't know, it should be a true race this year.

West Virginia is supposed to be real good this year
Ohio State lost alot of leaders on their defense, but they usually bring in a top recruit class and they still have their biggest playmaker in Teddy Ginn.
I'm a Michigan fan, so I have them in the top 10(Homerism, can't live with it, can't live without it), can't see them being in the top 5 though.
USC will drop
Oklahoma is looking at a big year with AP's last season(Most likely)
Texas should drop off a bit with the loss of Young but they also bring in a top recruit class.

So what I see this year in the top 5 is...
#1 Oklahoma - Yup, I said it.
#2 Ohio State - Hopefully not though, being a Michigan fan.
#3 Florida - I don't know, I just see something in this team
#4 Texas - Like I said, they'll drop but not too far
#5 LSU - Their top star on defense in Laundry is returning, as well as most of their offensive targets. The loss of Addai will hurt, but they'll make it up IMO

Here's my top 10 for the hell of it...
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Florida
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame
West Virigina
Michigan(Hoping)
Alabama
Miami

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-17-2006, 09:47 AM
I dont' have a specific order, but I think Ohio State and LSU should be near the top.
To start the season, I'd say ND might be #5 but that would be the highest I could see them starting off the season (this coming from a huge ND fan)

I also think WVU has to be near the top, even though they play in an inferior conference.
Even though USC lost a bunch of guys to the nfl they will still be contenders (after all, they've been losing guys to the nfl every year now for a few years, and it hasn't made a difference)

I also think Florida may see a return to the top five.

However, the national championship will go to ND. :D

I could see ND being #1 in the preseason polls

jhns
04-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Ohio State lost alot of leaders on their defense, but they usually bring in a top recruit class and they still have their biggest playmaker in Teddy Ginn.
I'm a Michigan fan, so I have them in the top 10(Homerism, can't live with it, can't live without it), can't see them being in the top 5 though.
USC will drop
Texas should drop off a bit with the loss of Young but they also bring in a top recruit class.

#5 LSU - Their top star on defense in Laundry is returning, as well as most of their offensive targets. The loss of Addai will hurt, but they'll make it up IMO

Oklahoma
Ohio State
Florida
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame
West Virigina
Michigan(Hoping)
Alabama
Miami
OKLAHOMA? haha. Not a chance. They need to improve the offense dramatically before they are back on top. Granted they have the best running backs in the country, they still have 0 passing game or o-line. They are just lucky most of the time Peterson doesnt need an o-line in order to run against college defenses.

Straz1999
04-17-2006, 12:44 PM
OKLAHOMA? haha. Not a chance. They need to improve the offense dramatically before they are back on top. Granted they have the best running backs in the country, they still have 0 passing game or o-line. They are just lucky most of the time Peterson doesnt need an o-line in order to run against college defenses.

Have you done any of your homework, or are you just hating? I am guessing you are a huskers fan (no surprise), but we do have an offense other than peterson. One kid that is going to split time with peterson in the backfield is DeMarco Murray. If you dont know about him read about him on rivals100.com. He has bush like skills and is able to go into the slot and play receiver as well. It seems its a consensus that OU is a top 5 team in here. Also Bomar is going to be better and our offensive line will be solid, I promise you that.

jhns
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Have you done any of your homework, or are you just hating? I am guessing you are a huskers fan (no surprise), but we do have an offense other than peterson. One kid that is going to split time with peterson in the backfield is DeMarco Murray. If you dont know about him read about him on rivals100.com. He has bush like skills and is able to go into the slot and play receiver as well. It seems its a consensus that OU is a top 5 team in here. Also Bomar is going to be better and our offensive line will be solid, I promise you that.
Did you read my post or are you just hating? I said the best running backSSSSSSS in the country. Yes, I know of the kid and he should be good. I also watched a lot fo the games last season and the spring game. The o-line is crap. The passing game is crap. To win the national title you cant only rely on the run. I mean you arent the Huskers of old here. Last season there was 0 passing game from any of the games I watched and the o-line let a lot of people free very quickly. The spring game I saw nothing different.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Did you read my post or are you just hating? I said the best running backSSSSSSS in the country. Yes, I know of the kid and he should be good. I also watched a lot fo the games last season and the spring game. The o-line is crap. The passing game is crap. To win the national title you cant only rely on the run. I mean you arent the Huskers of old here. Last season there was 0 passing game from any of the games I watched and the o-line let a lot of people free very quickly. The spring game I saw nothing different.

They're defense is good... Say what you must, but defense wins championships

jhns
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
YEAH, just look at the last NFL season. Bears/Panthers got so far with the defense.

Defense doesnt when ****. A complete team wins championships. The biggest part to a complete team and winning is having both a good offensive and defensive line. They might be good next season but I really dont see them being even top 10.

Straz1999
04-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Most magazines are saying they are a top 5 team, with all picking them to win the big 12.

jhns
04-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Most magazines are saying they are a top 5 team, with all picking them to win the big 12.
ALLLLLL magazines and sports writers also said that the Colts where going to win the super bowl. Most every one of them said USC was going to win the national title. Until the season ends, noone is ever right. Especially before it even starts.

broncofan303
04-17-2006, 10:59 PM

Their D and AD will take them places... Nuff said... their passing game was pretty crummy last year but Bomar with one year under his belt, and improved WR's..what more could you ask for? Lets just say they have all the tools to win a NC...it all comes down to executing it on the field...

Top 5...
#1. Notre Dame (am I a homer? lol)
#2. Oklahoma (AD and Defense)
#3. Florida (Urban Meyer will have his boys ready this year)
#4. Alabama (Defense!, You dont need to score a lot when your winning 9-6 games)
#5. Ohio State (Ginn, Smith, who needs D when you can score more than your opponnent)..

#25. Colorado!!

NJBRONCOSFAN
04-18-2006, 07:27 AM

USC will drop

Oklahoma
Ohio State
Florida
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame
West Virigina
Michigan(Hoping)
Alabama
Miami
I think usc is a lot better than you think.

broncofan303
04-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I think usc is a lot better than you think.

After losing Leinart, Bush, White? Without anyone of those guys, I don't think they would of won 7 of their games last year...

NJBRONCOSFAN
04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
After losing Leinart, Bush, White? Without anyone of those guys, I don't think they would of won 7 of their games last year...
Even with all the talent that is leaving, they are a recruiting monster.

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
YEAH, just look at the last NFL season. Bears/Panthers got so far with the defense.

Defense doesnt when ****. A complete team wins championships. The biggest part to a complete team and winning is having both a good offensive and defensive line. They might be good next season but I really dont see them being even top 10.

The Steelers are known for their defense and running the ball. They won the superbowl for those two reasons... It's not different with the Oklahoma squad to this point

ReleaseTheBeast7
04-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Even with all the talent that is leaving, they are a recruiting monster.

I agree, I just feel that they'll fall out of the top 10 this year, I have them ranked around 11-15 I guess

mrsolo
04-18-2006, 11:19 AM
The Steelers are known for their defense and running the ball. They won the superbowl for those two reasons... It's not different with the Oklahoma squad to this point

Agreed. Look at the 2000 OU national championship team. They put up some numbers throughout the season, but their D is what won that Orange Bowl game along with many games down the stretch. Shutting out the 'Noles offense that came in averaging 45 points per game was one of the best defensive efforts I've seen in years. The only reason FSU scored was a bad snap on a punt.

OU's line looked a lot better than I expected this spring. The passing game looked pretty good, as good as a completely vanilla spring game offense can look. To say either is "crap" is being closed minded, and possibly upset that NU has absolutely NO shot at beating the Sooners this year.

Nick7
04-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Guess what buddy, almost every magazine had OU listed as a top 5 team last year, too. :duh:

Nick7
04-18-2006, 01:58 PM
possibly upset that NU has absolutely NO shot at beating the Sooners this year.

This would be a valid statement if....

1) You had beaten us by more than 7 points last year.

2) Our defense (which was ranked in the top 5 most of year) would've lost MORE THAN 2 players.

3) You didn't have to have an O-line...

mrsolo
04-18-2006, 02:54 PM

2) Our defense (which was ranked in the top 5 most of year) would've lost MORE THAN 2 players.

1) That was last year. Adrian Peterson was not healthy and Bomar was in his first season. (If you watched him all year and did not see dramatic improvement by the end of the season, you weren't watcing very closely. Not to mention a deep and very talented receiver corps.

2) OUR defense will likely be top in the conference, and in the top 5 in the country by season's end.

3) We have an o-line. They are young but they performed pretty well in the spring game against a d-line that will be one of the best in the Big 12.

Straz1999
04-18-2006, 05:26 PM

By more than 7 in Lincoln? Is that what it takes to get respect from you? We werent a great team and we still beat you on the road. Our D is going to be ferocious and our line is better than you think. If you dont believe it then you will just have to find out about it the hard way in the big 12 title game, if you even make it there. The north will not win a conference title for years to come.

jhns
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure they passed all over every team in the playoffs including us. What they are known for and what they did are completely different. That was a horrible analogy. Another thing is they have a good offensive line, quarterback, and recievers to go with that run. These are all the things I said Oklahoma sucks at. They just arent at all a complete team and I dont see them in top 10. The quarterback was bad enough that I dont see him suddenly learning how to manage games to the national title level.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO LOOK AT THE STATS BEFORE YOU GIVE EXAMPLES. The Bears where known for the defense and running the ball. LOOK WHERE THEY WENT.

Nick7
04-18-2006, 07:28 PM
1) That was last year. Adrian Peterson was not healthy and Bomar was in his first season. (If you watched him all year and did not see dramatic improvement by the end of the season, you weren't watcing very closely. Not to mention a deep and very talented receiver corps.

2) OUR defense will likely be top in the conference, and in the top 5 in the country by season's end.

3) We have an o-line. They are young but they performed pretty well in the spring game against a d-line that will be one of the best in the Big 12.

1) Yes, it was last year. Yes, Bomar improved (how couldn't he?). And Zac Taylor just stayed the same the whole seaon?

2) Best in the conference? Nope. Top 5 in the country? Quite possibly. I'm guessing by this logic, Nebraska's nation-leading in sacks D will slowly regress, even though they still have their starting D-line....

3) You guys are sure are banking on that spring game. You better hope they turn out...

mrsolo
04-19-2006, 12:20 PM
1) Yes, it was last year. Yes, Bomar improved (how couldn't he?). And Zac Taylor just stayed the same the whole seaon?

2) Best in the conference? Nope. Top 5 in the country? Quite possibly. I'm guessing by this logic, Nebraska's nation-leading in sacks D will slowly regress, even though they still have their starting D-line....

3) You guys are sure are banking on that spring game. You better hope they turn out...

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Texas............... 13 1702 2236 897 3938 4.4 25 302.9
2. Kansas.............. 12 999 2640 834 3639 4.4 28 303.2
3. Oklahoma............ 12 1087 2593 830 3680 4.4 31 306.7
4. Nebraska............ 12 1491 2495 874 3986 4.6 27 332.2
5. Texas Tech.......... 12 1865 2165 847 4030 4.8 27 335.8
6. Iowa State.......... 12 1232 2908 860 4140 4.8 22 345.0
7. Colorado............ 13 1303 3236 944 4539 4.8 33 349.2
8. Kansas State........ 11 1418 2536 775 3954 5.1 37 359.5
9. Missouri............ 12 1816 2604 861 4420 5.1 41 368.3
10.Baylor.............. 11 1779 2379 828 4158 5.0 35 378.0
11.Oklahoma State...... 11 2241 2356 766 4597 6.0 39 417.9
12.Texas A&M........... 11 1531 3351 818 4882 6.0 40 443.8

SACKS BY G Sacks Yards
---------------------------------------
1. Nebraska............ 12 50 381
2. Oklahoma............ 12 45 274
3. Texas............... 13 33 267
4. Kansas.............. 12 30 220
Missouri............ 12 30 234
6. Iowa State.......... 12 27 182
7. Texas A&M........... 11 26 226
Colorado............ 13 26 197
9. Oklahoma State...... 11 25 178
10.Baylor.............. 11 21 150
Kansas State........ 11 21 149
12.Texas Tech.......... 12 17 100

Why don't you think they have a chance to be best in the conference? They were 3rd last year in total defense, against what is widely considered the toughest schedule in the country last year. Nebraska had 5 more sacks than OU. I'll give em credit for that. But, two of our top 4 DE's were out with injuries, including Larry Birdine who might be the best of the bunch. Our front 4 will be wicked even with Dvoracek gone. Our linebackers may be the best in the conference--should be one of the fastest groups in the nation. Our corners will be very good, and our safeties....we'll see. THey have potential, but we'll have to see how they perform come September. I'm not just "banking" on the spring game. I'm banking on a lot of proven talent on the defense.

IrishConrad
04-19-2006, 12:53 PM
#25. Colorado!!
good joke...I bet the Buffs go 4-8.

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Notre Dame nuff said.

Nick7
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Texas............... 13 1702 2236 897 3938 4.4 25 302.9
2. Kansas.............. 12 999 2640 834 3639 4.4 28 303.2
3. Oklahoma............ 12 1087 2593 830 3680 4.4 31 306.7
4. Nebraska............ 12 1491 2495 874 3986 4.6 27 332.2
5. Texas Tech.......... 12 1865 2165 847 4030 4.8 27 335.8
6. Iowa State.......... 12 1232 2908 860 4140 4.8 22 345.0
7. Colorado............ 13 1303 3236 944 4539 4.8 33 349.2
8. Kansas State........ 11 1418 2536 775 3954 5.1 37 359.5
9. Missouri............ 12 1816 2604 861 4420 5.1 41 368.3
10.Baylor.............. 11 1779 2379 828 4158 5.0 35 378.0
11.Oklahoma State...... 11 2241 2356 766 4597 6.0 39 417.9
12.Texas A&M........... 11 1531 3351 818 4882 6.0 40 443.8

SACKS BY G Sacks Yards
---------------------------------------
1. Nebraska............ 12 50 381
2. Oklahoma............ 12 45 274
3. Texas............... 13 33 267
4. Kansas.............. 12 30 220
Missouri............ 12 30 234
6. Iowa State.......... 12 27 182
7. Texas A&M........... 11 26 226
Colorado............ 13 26 197
9. Oklahoma State...... 11 25 178
10.Baylor.............. 11 21 150
Kansas State........ 11 21 149
12.Texas Tech.......... 12 17 100

Why don't you think they have a chance to be best in the conference? They were 3rd last year in total defense, against what is widely considered the toughest schedule in the country last year. Nebraska had 5 more sacks than OU. I'll give em credit for that. But, two of our top 4 DE's were out with injuries, including Larry Birdine who might be the best of the bunch. Our front 4 will be wicked even with Dvoracek gone. Our linebackers may be the best in the conference--should be one of the fastest groups in the nation. Our corners will be very good, and our safeties....we'll see. THey have potential, but we'll have to see how they perform come September. I'm not just "banking" on the spring game. I'm banking on a lot of proven talent on the defense.

Yeah, guess what...3 of our starting LB's were out at one point last year. Still feel pretty good about being 1 place ahead of us?

mrsolo
04-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, guess what...3 of our starting LB's were out at one point last year. Still feel pretty good about being 1 place ahead of us?

We battled injuries all year last year as well. We gave up a whopping 4 yards per game more than Texas who led in total D. I feel pretty good about that, considering for the first half of the season we were giving the ball right back to the D on 3-and-outs pretty consistantly.

DenverBuckeye
04-19-2006, 02:56 PM

USC will drop

Oklahoma
Ohio State
Florida
Texas
LSU
Notre Dame
West Virigina
Michigan(Hoping)
Alabama
Miami

That's not actually a bad top 5. I had kind of forgotten who was supposed to be good this year so I asked the question. Hey your wish isn't going to come true, in fact I have a strong belief we are going ALL THE WAY!!! :beer:

It will be a good game between OSU abd UM this year like always, but because its at the Horsehoe I think we will win.

Another point is that we may have lost all, but 2 starters on D but we still have most of our O including Smith, Ginn, Gonzalez (U might remember him), Antonio Pittman and the MVP of the All-Star game coming in (Chris Wells). Our offense will be dynamic so watch out.

My top 5

1) Ohio State
2)Notre Dame
3) West Virginia
4) Florida
5) LSU

Inkana7
04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, it really stopped USC two years ago... :coffee:

My top 5:

1) Notre Dame - Yeah, I'm an Irish fan, but it's hard to say that Brady Quinn will NOT be next years #1 Draft pick. They will have a high-powered offense and they've been drafting Defensive players like crazy, so I think that their D will improve also.

2) Ohio State - No Quarterback issues this time around, Troy Smith is the man. If there hadn't been so much shuffling around early last year I believe OSU could have beaten both PSU and Texas

3) West Virginia - Steve Slaton and Pat White dominated defenses last year - and they were freshmen. Expect lots from this Mountineer team.

4) Oklahoma - Always fields a great team. They were young last year, and they still did pretty good. Defense will dominate like always.

5) Texas - There is a little motto I had for UT before last season: "Great Recruits, No Championships, Oklahoma's *****". Even so, I think they'll do pretty well for a Young-less team.

Straz1999
04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I didnt put Ohio State in my top 5 because I just think they have to replace WAY TOO MUCH on D. How many people in the secondary have even taken legitimate snaps?? They had the best linebacker core and it is all gone, right? I think theyre offense will be great but defense not so much. I think they will have a season similar to that of Notre Dame's this last year. 9-3 and a Rose Bowl loss.

DenverBuckeye
04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I didnt put Ohio State in my top 5 because I just think they have to replace WAY TOO MUCH on D. How many people in the secondary have even taken legitimate snaps?? They had the best linebacker core and it is all gone, right? I think theyre offense will be great but defense not so much. I think they will have a season similar to that of Notre Dame's this last year. 9-3 and a Rose Bowl loss.

That's a valid concern and very good point.

I read an article in a newspaper down in Ohio and it was about their defense and all of the no-names on it. It said they were all itching to make a lasting impression and that since they are all so young with little experience they believe that will force them to work together and trust each other more. Plus they have a DE from the All-Star game who was flat out dominant there and even though young, the LB core is fairly solid. OSU has a corner by the name of Malcom Jenkins who was a Freshman last year and played very well for us (watch out for him in the future). The D is only returning 2 out of 11 starters, but the D will still be pretty good. I say a rank in the 50s or 60s sounds about right.

They could go all the way or be last year's Notre Dame, but with an offense including Troy Smith, Antonio Pittman and Chris Wells switching it up, Ginn and Gonzalez at WR and a decent O-line they will be fine. In fact I think they will have a top 5 Offense.

Go Bucks!!!!!!!! :beer:

broncofan303
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
good joke...I bet the Buffs go 4-8.

Honestly after that spring game, I can see that happening... we have a lot of work to do before September 2nd...

jhns
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Sooners Are Going Nowhere!

Go Big Red!!!!!!!!!!

Straz1999
04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
We are going to MURDER the shuckers in the Big 12 title game. Thats even if they get that far. That defensive line cant be that great if fat John Blake is coaching it.

Nick7
04-20-2006, 01:40 PM
We are going to MURDER the shuckers in the Big 12 title game. Thats even if they get that far. That defensive line cant be that great if fat John Blake is coaching it.

Your incompetence humors me...Solo is respectable because he gives reasons, not just: S00neRZ aRe G01nG 2 mUrDER tHe ShUckers! LOLZZZ1!!1111! Y'all sure like to make fun of our name, considering yours basically means cheaters.

P.S. You sure remember John Blake, huh? Does 69-7 sound familiar. He's really is a ****ty coach, too. We only had like 50 sacks last year...

Straz1999
04-20-2006, 05:28 PM
What sooner fan could ever forget John Blake?? I only talk crap and give irrational statements to defend my team against ignorant husker fans who think they have a shot at opening the season ranked #1. That is all. I know the sooners arent going to be #1 but they have a shot at winning it all if things go a certain way. Look at the posts in the Adam Carriker thread and tell me this post isnt true??

Nick7
04-20-2006, 06:49 PM
What sooner fan could ever forget John Blake?? I only talk crap and give irrational statements to defend my team against ignorant husker fans who think they have a shot at opening the season ranked #1. That is all. I know the sooners arent going to be #1 but they have a shot at winning it all if things go a certain way. Look at the posts in the Adam Carriker thread and tell me this post isnt true??

Hmmm...I don't believe I ever said they would start out #1, and if you are talkin' about jhns, he's just kiddin' around. By going a certain way, you would need Bomar to improve quite a bit.

broncofan303
04-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Hmmm...I don't believe I ever said they would start out #1, and if you are talkin' about jhns, he's just kiddin' around. By going a certain way, you would need Bomar to improve quite a bit.

I wouldn't say it has to be a drastic improvement... He just needs to find a way to move that offense and get a couple of first downs..I think OU's D has the potential to be good as it was in 2001, and yall remember that national championship game..13-2, with OU giving FSU that 2... just proves you really dont need an offense to win championships....

Calif. Bronco
04-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Sooners Are Going Nowhere!

Go Big Red!!!!!!!!!!

Being neither a Sooner nor a Husker fan (USC class of '89 here) I can honestly respond to this post in a very unbiased manner.

And my response is simple: :confused:

As for my Trojans, I think most of you have hit the nail on the head in your analysis of them in this thread. They are not a top-5 team but they will probably finish in the top-10 and certainly in the top-15 for two important reasons. 1 - they play in a balanced but not exactly dominant conference and 2 - they do, as others on here have alluded to, have a lot of raw talent from continually ranking in the top 2 or 3 in recruiting year after year.

Straz1999
04-21-2006, 02:23 AM
USC is in a very similar situation that Miami was in a few years ago. They won a national championship, then lost the title game the next year and now a huge amount of their talent is leaving after that time. They could be a Top 10 team, but without a doubt a top 15. I just wonder how they are going to shake out in their conference. Also they have a tough non-conference game right away against Nebraska which should really show immediately how good Booty is going to be. Miami did make the Orange Bowl after losing the National Championship game the year before.

broncofan303
04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
USC is in a very similar situation that Miami was in a few years ago. They won a national championship, then lost the title game the next year and now a huge amount of their talent is leaving after that time. They could be a Top 10 team, but without a doubt a top 15. I just wonder how they are going to shake out in their conference. Also they have a tough non-conference game right away against Nebraska which should really show immediately how good Booty is going to be. Miami did make the Orange Bowl after losing the National Championship game the year before.

Doesn't that remind you of another team as well? Jason White, Michael Clayton, Jamaal Brown, Mark Bradley, Dan Cody? No doubt SC will have talent but you need experience..it'll just kill you that if you have all that young talent but they'll be running around in circles not knowing what to do...(ah hem...Bomar)...

Calif. Bronco
04-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Not to mention the fact that USC has been hit by a few significant injuries already in Spring Camp. Like I said, they'll be young and inexperienced but they play in a weak conference so they should be able to win 7-9 games.

broncofan303
04-22-2006, 10:49 AM
@Arkansas L
Nebraska W
@Arizona L
@Washington State W
Washington W
Arizona State W
@Oregon State W
@Stanford W
Oregon W
California L
Notre Dame L
@UCLA L

I think 7 games is reasonable, but anything over that is pushing it... I gave them some wins that are tough to come by especially playing a confident Husker team with basically their team back from last year, going into Oregon AND Stanford both places tough to come by...

Straz1999
04-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Doesn't that remind you of another team as well? Jason White, Michael Clayton, Jamaal Brown, Mark Bradley, Dan Cody? No doubt SC will have talent but you need experience..it'll just kill you that if you have all that young talent but they'll be running around in circles not knowing what to do...(ah hem...Bomar)...

Well the reason I dont brag too much about the sooners is because USC won those titles. (I am still not over that orange bowl in '04) I do agree that they are not going to win those close games they were used to pulling out in the second half (ala Notre Dame, ASU) but it will be interesting to see because people did say the same thing in '03 when Matt Leinart made his first ever start against Auburn, and we all know what happened then.

chickennob2
05-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure they passed all over every team in the playoffs including us. What they are known for and what they did are completely different. That was a horrible analogy. Another thing is they have a good offensive line, quarterback, and recievers to go with that run. These are all the things I said Oklahoma sucks at. They just arent at all a complete team and I dont see them in top 10. The quarterback was bad enough that I dont see him suddenly learning how to manage games to the national title level.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO LOOK AT THE STATS BEFORE YOU GIVE EXAMPLES. The Bears where known for the defense and running the ball. LOOK WHERE THEY WENT.

How about the ravens a few years back?

rcsodak
05-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Nebraska has a good shot at getting top 10. They have been drastically improving especially as the new coaches players are getting to be sophmores and juniors now and able to start. He has done good running his passing offense with a team that was built strictly for the run. Now that he has his players he is getting real good. Plus they play the #1 and 2 team from last year and a lot of other good teams so if they win some of these key games they will be boosted way into the top of the rankings. I say this because a lot of good teams never get a chance to be high ranked because they dont play high enough ranked teams for anyone to rank them.
Excuse me if I don't see your reasoning.....

Since when, has playing a College team a year AFTER they were in the BCS Championship game EVER "boosted" a team "way into the top of the rankings."

If that isn't the most homeristic remark ever typed, I don't know what else it is.... :goofy:

You act like no other team is having sophs and juniors coming in to play.....let alone, seniors and 5th yr seniors!!!!!

NU has been in the top 5 in recruiting how many times in the last 5 years? 4? 3?

Sticking their big toe in for one season doesn't make for a great 'base' to pull from.

Not all highly recruited kids pan out...some get hurt......meaning the team has to then be able to fall back on the 'lesser players', walk-ons, etc.....

Bully for NU! They beat a overhyped Michigan team last year.......and themselves in their scrimmage. :wave:

Look out, world.......Callahan's team is on the looooooose........

rcsodak
05-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Taylor

2005 237 430 2653 55.1 6.17 73 19 12 38 115.94
2005 Game Log Passing Rushing
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
9/3 Maine W 25-7 15 36 192 41.7 73 0 2 75.35 2 -5 -2.5 0 0
9/10 Wake Forest W 31-3 14 33 114 42.4 25 1 1 75.39 2 -5 -2.5 1 0
9/17 Pittsburgh W 7-6 10 20 93 50.0 36 0 0 89.06 7 -11 -1.6 10 1
10/1 Iowa State W 27-20 36 55 431 65.5 70 2 0 143.28 7 2 0.3 20 0
10/8 Texas Tech L 34-31 21 35 229 60.0 24 2 2 122.39 4 1 0.3 12 0
10/15 @Baylor W 23-14 18 32 168 56.3 31 2 0 120.98 5 30 6.0 10 0
10/22 @Missouri L 41-24 22 43 281 51.2 34 2 2 112.10 6 -46 -7.7 0 0
10/29 Oklahoma L 31-24 25 45 249 55.6 25 2 2 107.81 16 -15 -0.9 21 0
11/5 @Kansas L 40-15 14 26 117 53.8 30 1 1 96.65 4 -9 -2.3 10 0
11/12 Kansas State W 27-25 21 31 220 67.7 34 2 0 148.65 3 11 3.7 3 0
11/25 @Colorado W 30-3 27 43 392 62.8 38 2 0 154.71 13 16 1.2 12 0
MasterCard Alamo Bowl Michigan W 32-28 14 31 167 45.2 52 3 2 109.44 7 -10 -1.4 12 0
Bomar

2005 167 308 2018 54.2 6.55 55 10 10 19 113.48
2005 Game Log Passing Rushing
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
9/3 TCU L 17-10 2 5 19 40.0 17 0 0 71.92 2 13 6.5 28 0
9/10 Tulsa W 31-15 5 13 42 38.5 11 0 2 34.83 6 -13 -2.2 15 0
9/17 @UCLA L 41-24 20 29 241 69.0 27 0 0 138.77 15 28 1.9 18 1
10/1 Kansas State W 43-21 12 22 139 54.5 25 1 0 122.62 8 67 8.4 42 1
10/8 @Texas L 45-12 12 33 94 36.4 17 1 1 64.23 12 9 0.8 13 0
10/15 @Kansas W 19-3 16 31 206 51.6 40 1 2 105.17 7 -14 -2.0 3 0
10/22 Baylor W 37-30 24 42 269 57.1 34 1 2 109.28 8 -17 -2.1 5 1
10/29 @Nebraska W 31-24 14 28 157 50.0 22 0 0 97.10 7 11 1.6 11 0
11/12 Texas A&M W 36-30 20 28 298 71.4 42 1 1 165.47 7 28 4.0 32 1
11/19 @Texas Tech L 23-21 12 26 118 46.2 20 1 0 96.97 7 25 3.6 8 0
11/26 Oklahoma State W 42-14 13 21 206 61.9 55 3 1 181.93 2 29 14.5 15 0
Pacific Life Holiday Bowl Oregon W 17-14 17 30 229 56.7 34 1 1 125.12 9 14 1.6 12 0

Wow, jns.....do you look before you type?
For somebody that threw for only 80 yards in his first two games combined, I'd say Bomar IS grown up.......

...look at the disparity in the atts/comps between the two. You'll see a qb who COULD pass and a qb who HAD to pass. OU had a running game, which means Bomar had the advantage of learning as he went, without having to worry about losing a game for them

I'd be more worried about the missing husker running game than about OU's passing game....... :coffee:

rcsodak
05-13-2006, 10:07 PM
ALLLLLL magazines and sports writers also said that the Colts where going to win the super bowl. Most every one of them said USC was going to win the national title. Until the season ends, noone is ever right. Especially before it even starts.
It's funny how certain posters BRAG when their college/pro team is 'picked to win' by mags and/or sports writers......

...but are the first to bastardize them, should they NOT speak highly of them... :coffee: .....

rcsodak
05-13-2006, 10:12 PM
And you're not? :laugh:

NU had NO running game last year, which means they won't have one this year either......

That sound about right, with your trains of thought? :duh:

rcsodak
05-13-2006, 10:32 PM

Since when did NU become a "lb factory"?

You've got a ways to go, yet...... :coffee:

I just can't wait to see 'ol Coz blow another game........ :D

Nick7
05-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Bully for NU! They beat a overhyped Michigan team last year.......and themselves in their scrimmage. :wave:

Overhyped? 7-4 with the toughest schedule in the nation?

Nick7
05-14-2006, 08:25 PM
And you're not? :laugh:

NU had NO running game last year, which means they won't have one this year either......

That sound about right, with your trains of thought? :duh:

I guess I don't understand how that corresponds with my statement....

BTW, towards the end, our running game started to improve mostly due to our o-line play. I believe it was the same time Bomar turned into a god.

Nick7
05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Since when did NU become a "lb factory"?

You've got a ways to go, yet...... :coffee:

I just can't wait to see 'ol Coz blow another game........ :D

I never said we were a factory...you take any team, and take away three of their starting LB's, you'll see a change. :duh:

I sure liked how '' 'ol coz'' blew that last game of the season, as well as the K-state game. Also note this is a team that had a couple close calls (Texas A&M, 30-36?).

rcsodak
05-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Since when was MU granted the #1?
OU EARNED that. ;)

Look at some stats, teams played, etc....and persuade me that MU wasn't overhyped.

Take your time....... :D

rcsodak
05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I never said we were a factory...you take any team, and take away three of their starting LB's, you'll see a change. :duh:

I sure liked how '' 'ol coz'' blew that last game of the season, as well as the K-state game. Also note this is a team that had a couple close calls (Texas A&M, 30-36?).
Hmmm....ever look at the number of TRUE freshmen, and first time players were on the field last year, for OU?

Oh, darn....sorry......I bet NU had a couple also.

Tell you what....

...win the North, OU can win the South, then we'll SEE who the better team is.....

....K? :salute:

Straz1999
05-15-2006, 01:55 AM

No, oklahoma had the toughest schedule in the nation.

Nick7
05-15-2006, 02:16 PM
No, oklahoma had the toughest schedule in the nation.

uhh, I know for a fact they didn't (something like 10 places ahead of NEB) and looking at this makes it blatantly obvious...

TCU
Tulsa
at UCLA
Kansas State
at Texas
at Kansas
Baylor
at Nebraska
Oklahoma State
Texas A & M
at Texas Tech

versus....

Northern Illinois
Notre Dame
Eastern Michigan
at Wisconsin
at Michigan State
Minnesota
Penn State
at Iowa
at Northwestern
Indiana
Ohio State

:salute:

Nick7
05-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Since when was MU granted the #1?
OU EARNED that. ;)

Look at some stats, teams played, etc....and persuade me that MU wasn't overhyped.

Take your time....... :D

I see a 7 point loss to ND, a 3 point loss to Minn and Wisconsin, and a 4 point loss to Ohio State. Two of those teams were in the top 5, and for the games to be squeakers like that, I'd say they did alright.

Straz1999
05-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Well, pardon me to stand corrected by a huskers fan, but it does look like Mushigan did have a tougher schedule than OU. My source was Soonersports.com so I probably should have known better. :heh:

mrsolo
05-16-2006, 12:27 PM
uhh, I know for a fact they didn't (something like 10 places ahead of NEB) and looking at this makes it blatantly obvious...

TCU
Tulsa
at UCLA
Kansas State
at Texas
at Kansas
Baylor
at Nebraska
Oklahoma State
Texas A & M
at Texas Tech

versus....

Northern Illinois
Notre Dame
Eastern Michigan
at Wisconsin
at Michigan State
Minnesota
Penn State
at Iowa
at Northwestern
Indiana
Ohio State

:salute:

You know for a fact? Who's fact is that? I'm not being a smart a$$, I just want to know your source. According to Jeff Sagarin's rating as of Jan. 4th, 2006, OU's schedule strength rated number 1. Michigan was #3. Nebraska was #36.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt05.htm

DenverBuckeye
05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Dare I mention the loss to TCU by OU? ;)

I don't like Michigan at all because I am a huge Ohio State fan, but they did Penn State who wuld have beaten Texas had they played them.

NU fans don't need to get their hopes up because Ohio State is going all the way next year! :D

Nick7
05-16-2006, 07:08 PM
You know for a fact? Who's fact is that? I'm not being a smart a$$, I just want to know your source. According to Jeff Sagarin's rating as of Jan. 4th, 2006, OU's schedule strength rated number 1. Michigan was #3. Nebraska was #36.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt05.htm

I think you've got me there. I can't find my source, but I know it was on huskerpedia. It was before the bowl games, so they could play a role.

broncofan303
05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Colorado #6 I might add....lol...

GO BUFFS!!!

rcsodak
05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I think you've got me there. I can't find my source, but I know it was on huskerpedia. It was before the bowl games, so they could play a role.

:coffee: uh huh........

Nick7
05-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Colorado #6 I might add....lol...

GO BUFFS!!!

lol, nice.

DrunkPanda
05-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Hmmm....ever look at the number of TRUE freshmen, and first time players were on the field last year, for OU?

Oh, darn....sorry......I bet NU had a couple also.

Tell you what....

...win the North, OU can win the South, then we'll SEE who the better team is.....

....K? :salute:
no thanks. CU will win the north. and then we will beat OU in the championship. and then we will win the rose bowl. and we will never lose again :P

Straz1999
05-18-2006, 04:26 AM
no thanks. CU will win the north. and then we will beat OU in the championship. and then we will win the rose bowl. and we will never lose again :P

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!! I think Iowa State has a better chance than colorado right now. Colorado will be good again, it will just take Hawkins some time.

broncofan303
05-18-2006, 06:19 AM

LOL I like that thinking... Nobody is running away with the North just yet, so I'm not counting the Buffs, Clones, Huskers out... you can take Jayhawks and Cats out, they have no chance...but Huskers finished the season off strong, Clones still have those young players that tore it up their freshman year (juniors now) and you never know what to expect with the Buffs... Should be a fun year to watch!

NJBRONCOSFAN
05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
All this back and forth doesn't even matter...Notre Dame is winning it all this year. :salute:

Nick7
05-18-2006, 03:53 PM
All this back and forth doesn't even matter...Notre Dame is winning it all this year. :salute:

Except for not. :D

rcsodak
05-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Careful, NJ.....

......arogance is often times spited....... ;)