PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to draft QB first round next tear?

Chubs_323
09-01-2003, 08:21 AM
With Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Cody Pickett in College, the Broncos might just be thinking about trading up this draft (If Jake doesn't perform well)! There are so many college QBs worth looking at.

rosco
09-01-2003, 08:45 AM
shanahan doesn't like taking qbs high. he'll get a qb but not in the first.

Jared
09-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Chubs_323
With Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Cody Pickett in College, the Broncos might just be thinking about trading up this draft (If Jake doesn't perform well)! There are so many college QBs worth looking at.

If the Broncos are as successful as we hope, they won't pick high enough to get Manning. Rivers is very athletic, and has worked a pro-style offense, but Shanny will be looking to groom a back up, unless Plummer fails. I think Rivers has NFL starter potential.

Who the heck is Cody Pickett? Please don't hate me if I am being ignorant on this one.

The young kid at Pitt has pro size, but he needs work. I think he's a sophmore.

Same thing with the kid at Penn State. Pro size, OK arm, but needs polish. He's only a junior though.

They aren't coming out this year anyway.

There's a kid at Tulane who looks like he has a ton of potential. J.P. Lohsman. Giid size, Pro-style offense, throws deep a lot, good mobility without being a happy footed scrambler type. He would probably fit in really well in the Denver offense.

Of course, they said the same things about Ryan Leaf.

Chubs_323
09-02-2003, 03:22 PM
-Cody Pickett is the QB for Washington-

Some other good ones are:

Craig Krenzel (Ohio State)- Doesn't have great numbers but gets the job done

Josh Harris (Bowling Green)- Amazingly talented and led Bowling Green to a top 25 ranking part of last year

Timmy Chang (Hawaii)- Natural passer who is expected to lead Hawaii to the top of the WAC

I think Harris would be a good pick. He won't get much attention for playing in the MAC, so the Broncos could get him later in the draft.

Jared
09-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Krenzel, of better or for worse, is pretty much not gonna be a pro QB. This was a sore debate back on the PA/OH border where I was before. We had one of the Steelers scouts on the radio last year, right after OSU won the championship, and he said the consensus is that yes, he wins, but so what? He didn't know of one team that thought Krenzel had the physical tools to be a pro QB, not even as a backup. Needless to say, he generated a LOT of phone calls. I believe him though. Why would I disagree, I am just a DJ.

The kid from Hawaii I have heard of, and June Jones used to be a pro coach, so he would be a pretty polished pick.

The kid from Bowling Green I know nothing about, but I will keep and eye out for him.

Sorry about not knowing about Pickett. I am new to the west coast. I am sure I WILL hear about him, maybe even see him play on TV.

Chubs_323
09-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Bradley Van Pelt (CSU)- Van Pelt showed he can throw agains CU on saturday against CU. Multiple publications have compared him to Michael Vick

Luke McCown (La. Tech)- Luke has a bunch of talent, but he plays for Louisiana Tech

John Navarre (Michigan)- John has been predicted to lead Michigan to a Big 10 title this season, and is a possible Heisman candidate.

Catching my drift about drafting a QB high in the draft?

TXBRONC
09-03-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by rosco
shanahan doesn't like taking qbs high. he'll get a qb but not in the first.

Same was said of offensive linemen untill this year, and then took Foster in the first round. He would have to convinced that the qb was the real deal, otherwise he rather pick one further down the draft and develope him for a few years. That being said I don't see that happening right now.

Chubs_323
09-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Remember, I am talking about if Jake doesn't do well this season.

TXBRONC
09-03-2003, 07:46 PM
I understand you chubs, and even if does do well Jake is in his 7th year as pro and you take a qb bring him along slow maybe he could challenge Jake in about 3 or 4 seasons. By then Jake will be either in his 10th or 11th season and just never know when a guys skill are going to deteriorate.

Chubs_323
09-04-2003, 02:54 PM
That's a good point. Who do you guys think the Broncos should try to get?

TXBRONC
09-04-2003, 04:09 PM
I know its not realistic but I would love Denver to draft Eli Manning. But I will have admit right now I am at loss for who might be available next year other than Manning. That being said Shanahan would probably draft a qb in the middle rounds of the draft. The one thing could change all of this depends on the defense and how it preforms this year. If Bertrand Berry or Reggie Hayward are not able to preform at the RDE spot I wouldn't be suprised if Shanahan chooses a DE in the first round. So now that I completely muddied the waters Chubs what qb do you think the Broncos could draft?

Chubs_323
09-05-2003, 03:05 PM
I think the Broncos should take a hard look at both Josh Harris and Bradley Van Pelt. Both probably would be available later in the draft. Harris is incredibly talented and, as I said before, Van Pelt has been called a "poor man's Michale Vick". But then again, I am a big CSU fan.

Did you hear? Marcus Vick (you know who's younger brother) is now going to play at Virginia Tech.

TXBRONC
09-05-2003, 04:28 PM
I have seen Bradlee run and he moves very well but doen't he suspect arm? Please go ease on Chubs I not very familiar with CSU.

Chubs_323
09-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Van Pelt threw for over 300 yards against CU. He can also throw pretty good on the run.

TXBRONC
09-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Van Pelt threw for over 300 yards against CU. He can also throw pretty good on the run.

Oh yeah, and that kid from CU Klatt he threw for over 400 didn't he?

Chubs_323
09-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but against UCLA he threw for less than 200. Van
Pelt threw for 317 against Cal.

thesaint
09-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Because Cal's got a tough defense. :P

TXBRONC
09-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Jared
If the Broncos are as successful as we hope, they won't pick high enough to get Manning. Rivers is very athletic, and has worked a pro-style offense, but Shanny will be looking to groom a back up, unless Plummer fails. I think Rivers has NFL starter potential.

Who the heck is Cody Pickett? Please don't hate me if I am being ignorant on this one.

The young kid at Pitt has pro size, but he needs work. I think he's a sophmore.

Same thing with the kid at Penn State. Pro size, OK arm, but needs polish. He's only a junior though.

They aren't coming out this year anyway.

There's a kid at Tulane who looks like he has a ton of potential. J.P. Lohsman. Giid size, Pro-style offense, throws deep a lot, good mobility without being a happy footed scrambler type. He would probably fit in really well in the Denver offense.

Of course, they said the same things about Ryan Leaf.

I saw that kid from Tulane against TCU he looked pretty good. Their is also a kid from Memphis State who out played Eli this weekend. However I think he is only a junior and unless he as a killer season he probably wont come out this year.

bwisor
09-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Who are the Steelers to judge QBs/ Can you say Kordell Stewart? The last 2 QBs Pittsburg drafted are OUTSTANDING WRs. Stewart & Randel El, at least 1 of them was enough of a team player to realize it and is doing quite well at WR/Returner. As far as tools how long did Flutie play, what about Jim Harbaugh? The last QB at OSU that had the abilities that Krenzel has was Art Schleister, and we know thta he went south because of gambling. Krenzel I think would be a good choice for the Broncos, his arm is strong enough, he can run when he has to, he doesn't make bad decisions. Didn't Brian have the tools? All but 2 and arm and a heart! Craig Krenzel is a leader, which above your QB needs to be. If we dont think he has an arm ask Purdue down late in the 4th last year, he takes the snap, rolls right, steps up to avoid the rush, and completes a pass for a 45 yarded. Oh, yeah I forgot Gamble was on the LEFT SIDELINE!

bwisor
09-08-2003, 08:15 AM
The Van Pelt/ Klatt guys seem to be homers, which I think is great, but dont you think the Pass "D" was HORRIBLE? For goodness sake there was 1000 yds "O" in the game!

bwisor
09-08-2003, 08:17 AM
What about the possibility of trying to get the rights to Drew Henson(UM) from Houston? I really hate to say it, considering that he is from Michigan and I bleed Scarlet & Gray, but he really is a stud!

TXBRONC
09-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by bwisor
What about the possibility of trying to get the rights to Drew Henson(UM) from Houston? I really hate to say it, considering that he is from Michigan and I bleed Scarlet & Gray, but he really is a stud!

That might be a possibility but there might be better talent out there from this year's class. As much as it might be a pipe dream I think it would be great if Denver were to get Eli Manning.

OrangeCrush'03
09-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Krenzel already said that he doesn't plan on playing football after college. He majors in "Molecular Genetics" and plans on being a some kind of sceintist. Although it would be nice to see him play in the NFL(Denver especially)but I don't think it's going to happen.

Chubs_323
09-08-2003, 03:15 PM
What do you guys think about Brock Berlin? He didn't play well early against Florida, but he did turn it around in the 2nd half. He's only a junior, but I think he could be a good pick up by the Broncos in 2005.

TXBRONC
09-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Krenzel is a winner and leader I not sure he has enough in way of an arm to be a starting qb at the pro level. I will however admit I most certainly could be wrong.

Hawaiian Bronco
09-08-2003, 07:40 PM
I think the offence is pretty well set 'cept for an aging line. I've always been weary of the secondary since the Atwater era ended. I'd like to see some quality DBs in the mix for sure. I also have to warn Chubs and Jared about Tim Chang out of Hawaii. Yes June Jones is the greatest thing to happen to Hawaii football, but the main reason he plays Chang is to boost ticket sales (he's a local boy). Tim put up the most passing yardage last year but he also had the most attempts and his completion record isn't the best. He is also known for hanging in the pocket and either getting sacked or hurrying the throw (without good results). He is a redshirt Jr. this year so maybe he's learned. If you want to see him watch Fox2 this Saturday 9/13/03 when they play #4 USC.

OrangeCrush'03
09-08-2003, 08:24 PM
A GREAT DB would be Ohio State's #4 Will Allen. He gets at least one INT. every time he plays, not to mention I went to high school with him, he was our CB and I was the FB/DT, with Will's collegiate teamate #86 WR John Hollins. We all went to Wayne High School in Huber Heights, Ohio. Will is going to be a high draft pick next year, that boy can cover anyone, he is always around the ball and he is the one who blew out Willis MaGahee's knee in the Fiesta Bowl. He'll go either in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round. Denver needs to look into this kid. He's like the next coming of Deion Sanders or Charles Woodson.

TXBRONC
09-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Gentlemen, with all due respect, we have good dbs. And if they build on what did on Sunday drafting db will not be a priority.

Elway
09-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Maybe we will go after another WR to back up Rod.

TXBRONC
09-08-2003, 10:02 PM
We have four young receivers already, Lelie, Cole, Madise and Nate Jackson on the practice squad. I think it would still be a good idea to get a qb and start grooming the him to be the eventual starter. Remember Jake is already in his 7th year, and it takes about four years to develope a qb, so by that time Jake would be in his 11th season as pro.

jbones733
09-08-2003, 11:43 PM
i wouldnt mind drafting a Qb round 1

Jared
09-09-2003, 09:37 AM
You know, some depth on both lines would be great. We need some certifiable studs who can dominate. Pryce will be replaced in 3-5 years, Gardner's back is ready to snap, and our O-line is great at run blocking, but below average with the pass.

But I can't even think of the name of one downlineman in college football. They are usually pretty anonymous and only the scouts really watch them.

Also, whoever posted about Lohsman from Tulane, he apprently transferred rom UCLA, so he is pretty highly regarded. He left because he need to get away from his family and frineds.....too much pressure to go 30-30 with 4 tds and no INTS.

he did look good against TCU...but, they are TCU.

TXBRONC
09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Denver has already started getting togerther a better O-line. I think next year Foster will be starting and from all the scouting reports on him coming out of college he would have been rated higher than Kwamie Harris if he had not gotten injured. As Ben Hamilton is going to be very good as either a guard or center.

ozzy_osbourne
09-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Not for a QB, there are too many with NFL experience out there to draft one that high... master mind will find one maybe in the sixth round

TXBRONC
09-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ozzy_osbourne
Not for a QB, there are too many with NFL experience out there to draft one that high... master mind will find one maybe in the sixth round

More than likely your right ozzy. However Shanny had never taken an Offensive Line as high in the draft as did this last year. It really depends on Shanahan believing the guy had the talent to be pro caliber qb.

Bronco_Buster_7
09-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Being a huge Buckeyes fan, let me be the first to say that Krenzel will never be a NFL Q-Back. He lacks the talent in throwing the football. If the Broncos need to draft a Q-Back next year... They are going to be out of luck. There are only a handful that will be drafted and there all first rounders. My opinion is, we should have used our 5th round pick and got Ken Dorsey this year.

TXBRONC
09-12-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Bronco_Buster_7
Being a huge Buckeyes fan, let me be the first to say that Krenzel will never be a NFL Q-Back. He lacks the talent in throwing the football. If the Broncos need to draft a Q-Back next year... They are going to be out of luck. There are only a handful that will be drafted and there all first rounders. My opinion is, we should have used our 5th round pick and got Ken Dorsey this year.

I agree that Krenzel is pro qb material but neither is Dorsey. Their arm strength is comparable the one thing Krenzel does have over Dorsey is that he mobile. Dorsey would be another Griese in my opinion.

Bronco_Buster_7
09-12-2003, 02:58 PM
I can somewhat agree with you txbronc. But Dorsey is a playmaker... You have to be to have an undefeted collage career. He always had a good run game and good receivers... but he would have the same in Denver. I think he would fit well.

TXBRONC
09-12-2003, 07:00 PM
I can somewhat agree with you txbronc. But Dorsey is a playmaker... You have to be to have an undefeted collage career. He always had a good run game and good receivers... but he would have the same in Denver. I think he would fit well.

BTW BB do you know where he at? Just curious.

Bronco_Buster_7
09-12-2003, 08:39 PM
He is the backup in San Fran.

TXBRONC
09-13-2003, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the information BB7.

Bronco_Buster_7
09-13-2003, 07:43 AM
but... i dont think it will be long before hes the starter.

Chubs_323
09-13-2003, 10:07 AM

You are right, except for the fact that that pro bowler named Garcia is still ahead of him.

TXBRONC
09-13-2003, 10:58 AM

You think Dorsey is going to replace Garcia? What makes think that?

Jared
09-14-2003, 11:43 AM

Actually, he is the 3rd QB, behind Rattay, I think.

I forget who the 4th QB on the roster is.

Won't be seen except for mop up work, or some serious injury issues for the other two

TXBRONC
09-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Jared your saying that San Fran is carrying four qbs? I can understand three but four? Too me that seems like a waste of spot on the roster.

Chubs_323
09-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Ben Roethlisberger (Miami (Oh))- Natural passer who has some manuverability.

Ben is playing Saturday here in Fort Collins agaist my rams. He is a good QB, but he'll stink against CSU! :)

Seriously though, he is good, and another QB for a no name school, which means he could be avialable later in the draft.

Chubs_323
09-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Ben Roethlisberger (Miami (Oh))- Natural passer who has some manuverability.

Ben is playing Saturday here in Fort Collins agaist my rams. He is a good QB, but he'll stink against CSU! :)

Seriously though, he is good, and another QB for a no name school, which means he could be avialable later in the draft.

Ok, so he didn't stink against CSU. In fact, he kicked our butts. All more the reason to look at him more closely.

Jared
09-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by TXBRONC
Jared your saying that San Fran is carrying four qbs? I can understand three but four? Too me that seems like a waste of spot on the roster.

That is my understanding. When the 53 man roster was finalized, I remember an article tha even mentioned that Erikson was impressed with all the QB's he had left, so he kept them all.

I think it is a waste too, but hey. He's the coach, its his call.

TXBRONC
09-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Jared
That is my understanding. When the 53 man roster was finalized, I remember an article tha even mentioned that Erikson was impressed with all the QB's he had left, so he kept them all.

I think it is a waste too, but hey. He's the coach, its his call.

Exactly. And now it's a moot point because they are carrying three qbs and I would not if that will be for the remaider of the season.

winuh
09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
If the Broncos want to develop a young QB, Chang would fit perfectly into this offense. Unfortunately he is still a Junior so unless he decides to enter the draft this year he won't be available yet. But the Broncos should wait for him. Not only did he throw to Lelie in college, he has pinpoint accuracy, can absolutely launch the deep ball, and best of all, he can scramble (although currently his coach forbids it, which is really frustrating as a fan, cause he's fast). As a UH fan, I used to be down on Chang because of his int's. He has had that tendency in previous years, as well as poor leadership qualities. And although UH got smoked by USC, if you watched the UNLV game, Chang was unbelievable for the 1st half, as a leader and a QB. The second half he threw 3 int's but everyone here is starting to realize it's because of June Jone's play calling---Jones refused to run the ball at all in the second half (I mean at all. nothing. zero.) which allowed the defense to commit to defending the pass alone. They were all over our receivers. People will say that he shouldn't have thrownn the pass then, but that's all the coach was calling, all the while telling Chang to make something happen since UH was down. So, his only option was to throw risky passes to try to make something happen, or just give up. Predictably, he got picked. It kind of reminds me of Plummer's scenario in AZ. Also, Chang is routinely asked to throw 60 plus times a game. Basically, Jones puts every game on his shoulders alone. He still manages to complete around 55% of his passes despite throwing the whole freaking game and with defenders catching on. Bring him into the Broncos offensive system where there is an actual running game to lift pressure off of him and allow him to get in a rhythm, and he will amaze everyone. (He was 6 for 6 with a TD in the one drive where Jones mixed in several run plays against UNLV).

One more thing-- I don't know what that previous guy was talking about that Timmy Chang just stays in the pocket and takes sacks. He hardly ever gets sacked. Against USC's supposedly #1 defensive line, and with only one returning linebacker to protect him, he was only sacked twice. Just watch him--he sniffs out the blitz and is very Jake/Snake-like in his scramble to the outside, where he will usually find an open receiver for the completion. He is GREAT at avoiding the sack.

Hawaiian Bronco
09-23-2003, 11:09 PM
If winuh read my first post where I said that Tim Chang from Hawaii hangs in the pocket, he will notice that I wrote it before the USC game so that was based before he took a snap this year. He did bad in that game-one against BIG DOGS. He was impressive for 2 1/2 quarters in the UNLV game, showing mobility outside the tackles but because he would rather throw than run through a wide open secondary, after the first TD UNLV wouldn't bite when he would get open and run to the line of scrimage. Thats when UH started to fade. I know that Jones won't let him run, but when you have 20 yards open in front of you, just run and slide. That will open up receivers next time. He has a hell of a cannon. I knew that when I saw him as a high school jr. If winuh wants futher discussions on this we can take this to the UH message board.

Chubs_323
09-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Hawaiian Bronco
If winuh read my first post where I said that Tim Chang from Hawaii hangs in the pocket, he will notice that I wrote it before the USC game so that was based before he took a snap this year. He did bad in that game-one against BIG DOGS. He was impressive for 2 1/2 quarters in the UNLV game, showing mobility outside the tackles but because he would rather throw than run through a wide open secondary, after the first TD UNLV wouldn't bite when he would get open and run to the line of scrimage. Thats when UH started to fade. I know that Jones won't let him run, but when you have 20 yards open in front of you, just run and slide. That will open up receivers next time. He has a hell of a cannon. I knew that when I saw him as a high school jr. If winuh wants futher discussions on this we can take this to the UH message board.

Chang is awesome! I've watched him play and I'm quite impressed.

TXBRONC
09-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Hawaiian Bronco

I saw part of the USC game and it was not all his fault. I really don't know much about him but he seems to have a decent arm.

Chubs_323
09-26-2003, 07:52 PM
What do you guys think about that kid from San Diego State? Last year he had a ton of yards. But they had to pass, their run game was zero. Plus he had a couple of good recievers that he doesn't have anymore.

Jared
09-27-2003, 01:36 AM
You mean Hall? He's out. Maybe not all year, but out. The replacement is some kid named dgoulecki or something like that. Impossible to spell and pronounce. Seems like he's got potential. Apparently played second fiddle to Chris Rix in high school for a while, and then when Rix mouthed off to his coach senior year (what a damn suprise!), this dglouecki kid took them to a title of some sort. He is suppoed to be good, but not as good as hall.

Broncos97_98
10-22-2003, 03:07 PM
I was really wanting the Broncos to draft Dorsey.Just because of what the scouts say. Scouting means nothing. It is how they play on the field in a game. He only lost one. That game against Ohio State the refs lost that one for them.

Return of Lava
10-29-2003, 08:19 PM
broncos should definitely draft a CB or a Center in the first round

BlueBomberDude
11-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Casey Clausen from Tennessee has a pretty decent arm... and should be available in later rounds.

Return of Lava
11-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Whoever says the broncos should draft a QB isnt thinking too hard. No doubt, a CB or Safety should be drafted 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round, then some o lineman, THEN a QB!

Return of Lava
11-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
Whoever says the broncos should draft a QB isnt thinking too hard. No doubt, a CB or Safety should be drafted 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round, then some o lineman, THEN a QB! QB is the last pos. we need right now.

TXBRONC
11-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
QB is the last pos. we need right now.

I agree that Denver needs some more playmakers on the defense, but I think drafting a qb now could be a wise investment for the future. Jake is already in his 7th season as pro, if Denver drafted a guy who could sit and learn for about three seasons that could have hugh payoff in the longrun.

Return of Lava
11-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by TXBRONC
I agree that Denver needs some more playmakers on the defense, but I think drafting a qb now could be a wise investment for the future. Jake is already in his 7th season as pro, if Denver drafted a guy who could sit and learn for about three seasons that could have hugh payoff in the longrun. I would hope jake stay around until after he is 32. Maybe a QB wouldnt hurt in the long run, especially if we dont have any depth there. I just want to make sure the Defense can keep the level of play up. We should be getting after some WR's.