PDA

View Full Version : The Official Seattle Mariners Thread!

WABronco
07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Yea Baaaaaaaaaabyyyyyy! Here's to your last place Seattle Mariners!

Ok, I know. Who cares? I care, that's who. And there's 2 or 3 other M's fans around here...

Today:

M's pitching DOMINATES the Nick Green led Yankees. Gil Meche was brilliant and the 'pen held the Yanks to one hit. Richie Sexson breaks his string of 23 consecutive strikeouts and goes deep off the Big Unit for his 19th dinger of the year. Ichiro goes off for 3 hits and 2 SB's, and he accounts for 2 of the M's 3 runs.

Oh yea, **** Mike Reilly! That bastard cost us a series win! Oh, and George, remember Reilly's PO Box? He's expecting that check...

Trade Rumors abound:

Alfonso Soriano...to the M's!?!?!?!?

Arghhhhhhhhh! I'd like a Soriano for Adam Jones+other 'spects, but only if Seattle got some guarantees (which isn't going to happen). Only way I make that deal is if Soriano will re-sign in the offseason. There's absolutely nothing gained from giving up a potential franchise CF'er for a 2 month rental player. And it's not a certainty that Seattle even makes the playoffs, even with Soriano.

Yo TD Machine!!!! What's up!?!?

(Disclaimer-this thread is better than all others...sorry)

Southstander
07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Thank you for beating the Yanks :D

keithbishop
07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Too funny. Well, the Yankees were paid back for the umps' blown call Tuesday night.

Andy Phillips gets a double, driving in A-Rod. A-Rod was safe at the plate, but the play was close....... Phillips had already rounded 2B and was headed for 3B, then the Umpire called timeout because the Mariners' Catcher was arguing with him. Phillips was sent back to 2B.

Never in my life had I seen a timeout called like that. The play was still going!!

Does anyone remember David Cone (with the Mets at the time) losing it without calling timeout after a pitch?? He was screaming at the ump over a ball/strike call. By the time a teammate had pried the ball out of his glove, the runner had scored from 1B.

No big deal. I'm happy with taking 2 of 3 from ANY team ANY time. Since Seattle is within, what, 4 games of 1st place, I don't think that being in last place would be such a bad deal. Seattle is easily within striking distance of 1st place.

8 innings 2 ER 1 BB 11 K for RJ. If a pitcher has to take a loss, I suppose I don't mind after he pitched like that.

WABronco
07-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Too funny. Well, the Yankees were paid back for the umps' blown call Tuesday night.

Andy Phillips gets a double, driving in A-Rod. A-Rod was safe at the plate, but the play was close....... Phillips had already rounded 2B and was headed for 3B, then the Umpire called timeout because the Mariners' Catcher was arguing with him. Phillips was sent back to 2B.

Never in my life had I seen a timeout called like that. The play was still going!!

Does anyone remember David Cone (with the Mets at the time) losing it without calling timeout after a pitch?? He was screaming at the ump over a ball/strike call. By the time a teammate had pried the ball out of his glove, the runner had scored from 1B.

No big deal. I'm happy with taking 2 of 3 from ANY team ANY time. Since Seattle is within, what, 4 games of 1st place, I don't think that being in last place would be such a bad deal. Seattle is easily within striking distance of 1st place.

8 innings 2 ER 1 BB 11 K for RJ. If a pitcher has to take a loss, I suppose I don't mind after he pitched like that.

Yea...yet another umpire miscommunication.

Seattle's close, but I don't think they can compete with a "DH" who's OPS is below .700...or only 1 competent starter. Our 'pen is nails, but our starters leave a lot to be desired (Washburn's decent, Moyer's a Safeco pitcher only, Pineiro just flat sucks, and Felix is talented but inconsistent.)

keithbishop
07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Yea...yet another umpire miscommunication.

Seattle's close, but I don't think they can compete with a "DH" who's OPS is below .700...or only 1 competent starter. Our 'pen is nails, but our starters leave a lot to be desired (Washburn's decent, Moyer's a Safeco pitcher only, Pineiro just flat sucks, and Felix is talented but inconsistent.)

I've been wondering what the deal is with Piniero. he SHOULD be a consistent 15-game winner, but has been horribly inconsistent. I should have mentioned that Beltre made several great defensive plays during the series. I'm impressed. Ichiro is, well, Ichiro and Ibanez is having a great year.

Everett, Schmeverett. It's too bad Seattle didn't get a LF in the offseason. Ibanez at DH would have made a difference.

WABronco
07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I've been wondering what the deal is with Piniero. he SHOULD be a consistent 15-game winner, but has been horribly inconsistent. I should have mentioned that Beltre made several great defensive plays during the series. I'm impressed. Ichiro is, well, Ichiro and Ibanez is having a great year.

Everett, Schmeverett. It's too bad Seattle didn't get a LF in the offseason. Ibanez at DH would have made a difference.
Pinerio's a rumored juicer...or a former juicer. He lost a considerable amount of zip off his fastball starting a couple seasons ago. He also has to much of a 'lax attitude on the mound--he doesn't care if he wins or not.

You mention Beltre...he's actually a competent hitter outside of Safeco. They need to seriously consider moving the left field wall and left center alley in. Safeco will never be a true bandbox with the NW weather, but moving in the fences a few feet wouldn't hurt the RH hitters at all (when you consider that Seattle has only one legit LH bat, it's probably a good idea).

Jacque Jones would look mighty fine out in LF right about now...that's for sure. :D

GridironChamp
07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
LOL everyday it seems like a Royal baseball thread wouldnt be as ridiculous :eek:

But anyway I used to love the M's, back when i first started watching baseball Griffey was in his prime and tearin it up. He was with the Ms i still liked Griffey and the Ms when Griffey went to the Reds but my like for both has fallen due to the lack of consistency.

EDIT: this waas my 4700 post whoohoo :beer:

WABronco
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey, if anyone thinks their team needs a relief ace, look no further. Rafael Soriano is garnering heavy interest from teams around the league. As a pitcher, he's a guy who's completely capable of striking out the side using only one pitch...the fastball. He's only 26 and relatively injury free (First full year off TJ surgery).

While it'd be hard to give him up, he is more or less expendable. And, if Seattle can get an Austin Kearns type haul, then hell, you make that trade. He's a better pitcher than Majewski, and thanks to Bowden/Krivsky, his value is sky high right about now.

Any interest...Colorado?

aberdien
07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I love Ichiro.

Broncofan-13
07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I guess you could call me a mariners fan, since my dad is one, and I follow the M's more than any other team (which is still very little.)

anyway, my favorite team will always be the team that plays the yankees. I hate hate those pinstriped bastards! :shake:

Medford Bronco
07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I was an Adrian Beltre fan when he was with the Dodgers. He seems to reek of possible sterroid use. Lets look at his numbers.

Career Stats

Batting
Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
1998 LA 77 195 18 42 9 0 7 22 14 37 3 1 .215 .278 .369 .648
1999 LA 152 538 84 148 27 5 15 67 61 105 18 7 .275 .352 .428 .780
2000 LA 138 510 71 148 30 2 20 85 56 80 12 5 .290 .360 .475 .835
2001 LA 126 475 59 126 22 4 13 60 28 82 13 4 .265 .310 .411 .720
2002 LA 159 587 70 151 26 5 21 75 37 96 7 5 .257 .303 .426 .729
2003 LA 158 559 50 134 30 2 23 80 37 103 2 2 .240 .290 .424 .714
2004 LA 156 598 104 200 32 0 48 121 53 87 7 2 .334 .388 .629 1.017
2005 SEA 156 603 69 154 36 1 19 87 38 108 3 1 .255 .303 .413 .716
2006 SEA 94 367 52 94 25 4 7 39 29 72 10 3 .256 .321 .403 .724
Career 1216 4432 577 1197 237 23 173 636 353 770 75 30 .270 .327 .451 .778

His numbers have fallen off the table since he left LA. Hmmm. Yes Safco is not a hitters ball park ,but neither is Dodger stadium. I am not saying he did or did not take the performance enhancers but his numbers suck in Seattle to go from 46 HRS and a 334 Ave to 19 Hrs and a 255 Avg and not that much better this year. Yes the AL is a better league obviously but he should based on his LA number hit 25 Hrs and 95 Rbi and a 285 Average at least I would think. any thoughts?

WABronco
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
We've debated the steroid thing a lot in Mariner-land. Most of us tend to write those accusations off, and here's why:

1)Beltre actually gained a significant amount of weight after his '04 season. So, it wasn't like Pudge where the guy comes in to ST weighing 30 pounds less.

2)Beltre's always been an inconsistent talent...from day one of his MLB career. Last year, he was completely owned by pitchers. They'd throw him slider after slider on the outside black and then bust his hands with a fastball. It was ugly to watch...

3)Safeco is murder on RH hitters.

Jose Lopez splits:

Home: .250 .303 .389 .691

Away: .306 .337 .492 .829

Richie Sexson splits:

Home: .198 .267 .395 .662 (!!!!!!)

Away: .253 .323 .478 .801

Adrian Beltre splits:

Home: .225 .284 .324 .608

Away: .286 .356 .481 .837 (!!!!!!)

...move the LF fences in a bit and then see what you've got.

4)Adrian is a headcase. He's a very sensitive person and he knows what's said around him on a daily basis. He tries waaayyyy too hard to jack a 5 run homer.

Medford Bronco
07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
We've debated the steroid thing a lot in Mariner-land. Most of us tend to write those accusations off, and here's why:

1)Beltre actually gained a significant amount of weight after his '04 season. So, it wasn't like Pudge where the guy comes in to ST weighing 30 pounds less.

2)Beltre's always been an inconsistent talent...from day one of his MLB career. Last year, he was completely owned by pitchers. They'd throw him slider after slider on the outside black and then bust his hands with a fastball. It was ugly to watch...

3)Safeco is murder on RH hitters.

Jose Lopez splits:

Home: .250 .303 .389 .691

Away: .306 .337 .492 .829

Richie Sexson splits:

Home: .198 .267 .395 .662 (!!!!!!)

Away: .253 .323 .478 .801

Adrian Beltre splits:

Home: .225 .284 .324 .608

Away: .286 .356 .481 .837 (!!!!!!)

...move the LF fences in a bit and then see what you've got.

4)Adrian is a headcase. He's a very sensitive person and he knows what's said around him on a daily basis. He tries waaayyyy too hard to jack a 5 run homer.

You got that right as a headcase. I know as a Dodger fan :ugh:

PsychoChicken
07-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey, if anyone thinks their team needs a relief ace, look no further. Rafael Soriano is garnering heavy interest from teams around the league. As a pitcher, he's a guy who's completely capable of striking out the side using only one pitch...the fastball. He's only 26 and relatively injury free (First full year off TJ surgery).

While it'd be hard to give him up, he is more or less expendable. And, if Seattle can get an Austin Kearns type haul, then hell, you make that trade. He's a better pitcher than Majewski, and thanks to Bowden/Krivsky, his value is sky high right about now.

Any interest...Colorado?Man, I hope Colorado has some interest in Soriano. Some sort of trade involving Soriano and Jeff Baker or Ryan Shealy would probably be good for both sides. We did just call up a right hander with serious heat (Manuel Corpas), but Soriano would still be an improvement over Jose Mesa.

WABronco
07-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Man, I hope Colorado has some interest in Soriano. Some sort of trade involving Soriano and Jeff Baker or Ryan Shealy would probably be good for both sides. We did just call up a right hander with serious heat (Manuel Corpas), but Soriano would still be an improvement over Jose Mesa.
There has been talk about converting back into a starter, because after this year, the only guarantees in the rotation are Felix and Washburn (yikes). He needs to develop a third pitch though, and polish up his slider.

WABronco
07-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Rookie LH? Well, that usually means an M's loss...and it would've been had it not been for King Felix. Adam Jones had a nice day with 2 hits and a steal. His plate approach leaves a lot to be desired, but when he's patient he's a darn good hitter. They better not trade AJ for Soriano...boy, that'll piss me off big time.

You have to wonder how much longer Hargrove will elect to go with a "DH" who's got around a .600 OPS (!!!!!!!). If Hargrove cleaned up his decision making a bit, and the FO gets a competent hitter for that DH role, Seattle might not be too far away from contention.

Oh, and today marks the first day I've heard JJ Putz get some national props on BBTN. Of course, the only analyst who knew anything about him was Tim Kurkjian...Brantley said something stupid like, "He throws strikes, which is something you have to do to be successful." Ummm, k, thanks...

WABronco
07-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Manny's a candyass!

can't talk now....i'll be back....

keithbishop
07-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Manny's a candyass!

Trying to catch the ball, Crisp missed the ball by SEVERAL feet...... he wasn't even close (hell, the ball was WAY behind him ). Then Manny couldn't find the ball..... then Crisp's throw missed the cutoff man...... what an adventure, as was the entire game.

Seattle has a shot in the West, WAB.

WABronco
07-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Trying to catch the ball, Crisp missed the ball by SEVERAL feet...... he wasn't even close (hell, the ball was WAY behind him ). Then Manny couldn't find the ball..... then Crisp's throw missed the cutoff man...... what an adventure, as was the entire game.

Seattle has a shot in the West, WAB.
We just need a LH platoon bat for the DH slot...that's all.

Medford Bronco
07-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Manny's a candyass!

My dad at 65 has more fundamental baseball in him that that moron. I am so sick of Many being Many crap it is not even funny. WAB congrats on your series win and good luck in the Division. :D

WABronco
07-24-2006, 10:48 AM
My dad at 65 has more fundamental baseball in him that that moron. I am so sick of Many being Many crap it is not even funny. WAB congrats on your series win and good luck in the Division. :D
Whew...I was gonna say "aren't you BoSox fans tired of his act," but I didn't want to ruffle too many feathers.

Medford Bronco
07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Whew...I was gonna say "aren't you BoSox fans tired of his act," but I didn't want to ruffle too many feathers.

I am a Dodgers fan first :ugh: But in Boston (where I live) the hardcore fans that love baseball are sick of him. Not the bandwagoners and we have a lot of those here. BTW good luck to Beltre, I hope he gets hot for you. He was great in 04 for my Dodgers team.

WABronco
07-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I am a Dodgers fan first :ugh: But in Boston (where I live) the hardcore fans that love baseball are sick of him. Not the bandwagoners and we have a lot of those here. BTW good luck to Beltre, I hope he gets hot for you. He was great in 04 for my Dodgers team.

If you throw out April, he's hitting .286/.341/.472...that's pretty good. Not 13 mil good, but a helluva lot better than last year.

WABronco
07-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Seattle comes away with the series win after suffering a laugher at the hands of Roy Halladay in game two. Dang it feels good to have Everett out of the lineup. He wasn't a cancer or anything, as far as I know, it's just his presence seemed to sap energy and youthfullness...not to mention offensive ability. The Broussard and Perez platoon was putting up Pujols'-like numbers in Cleveland...and for millions upon millions less.

Anyways, Jamie Moyer still looks rusty and the game got a bit scary once Julio Mateo was summoned from the BP. It turned out to be just a good night all round though...M's win 7-4.

Also, Seattle recalled Chris Snelling, a LH Edgar Martinez clone. He's an Aussie too, so he's got that going for him. Injuries (like 3 ACL tears) have plagued him throughout his entire career, but when he's healthy he's a legit top prospect with the stick.

WABronco
08-10-2006, 09:24 PM
This just in. Mike Hargrove is the worst manager of the past decade.

CinnaMunMun
08-10-2006, 09:29 PM
This just in. Mike Hargrove is the worst manager of the past decade.

Lets make sure, We will trade you Choo Freeman for Ichiro! ;)

White Dragon
05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd bring this one back.

Maybe I'm the only one left, but I don't care.

Seattle has won five in a row and are only a game and a half back out of first.

Let's Go Mariners!

White Dragon
05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Seattle won 8-7 in 10 in Minnesota.

They keep that win streak going.

Still a game and a half behind Texas for first place. Only one game under .500 now after such a bad start.

Southstander
05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
How about Dice K for King Felix?

White Dragon
05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
How about Dice K for King Felix?

I would hate that. I was upset when they traded Lee to the freakin' Phillies last year. I understand why it was done, didn't make me any more pleased about it.

Southstander
05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Don't blame you. Gave up alot to get him the sent him packing. A Felix/Lee 1 2 Punch should have been a dream.

BroncoFanBoy
05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope that the Mariners get better here soon. My grandpa's a die hard Seattle fan, and they've grown on me too (but the Rockies are still my #1)

Gotta get Ichiro a ring!

White Dragon
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope that the Mariners get better here soon. My grandpa's a die hard Seattle fan, and they've grown on me too (but the Rockies are still my #1)

Gotta get Ichiro a ring!

I became a Mariners fan as a kid because I liked Griffey Jr. This was before the Rockies came along, so Seattle is still my number one with the Rockies a close second.

I just wish Griffey could've gotten a ring.

Broncoholic3233
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I became a Mariners fan as a kid because I liked Griffey Jr. This was before the Rockies came along, so Seattle is still my number one with the Rockies a close second.

I just wish Griffey could've gotten a ring.

Do you actually watch the Marines games living out here in Denver, on Mlb.tv? Or do you just have to follow them via ESPN and MLB.com and what not?

White Dragon
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Do you actually watch the Marines games living out here in Denver, on Mlb.tv? Or do you just have to follow them via ESPN and MLB.com and what not?

I don't even get to see Rockies games.

We have basic television, no cable, no satellite. The only local team I get to watch really is the Broncos. No Nuggets, no Avalanche, no Rockies.

I get to see a game every now and then when it's offered as the free game of the day (MLB.com has a free game every day).

Broncoholic3233
05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't even get to see Rockies games.

We have basic television, no cable, no satellite. The only local team I get to watch really is the Broncos. No Nuggets, no Avalanche, no Rockies.

I get to see a game every now and then when it's offered as the free game of the day (MLB.com has a free game every day).

Ahhh, gotcha. Well at least you can catch one every now and then. Ichiro and Felix are two of the best/most fun to watch.

White Dragon
05-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Just taken the first two from the Yankees. They've won 10 of their last 11 and are half a game behind Texas in the AL West.

I certainly didn't expect this after the awful start. They've done it playing small ball and I hope they can keep it up.

It's good to have something to cheer about after the Rockies decided to fall apart.