PDA

View Full Version : best arcade game ( 1990s)

Broncofan-13
01-21-2004, 04:35 PM
ok this one is for the younger ones ( like myself) who have only played joust , missile command and robotron X on the atari classics playstaion game. which recent arcade game is the best? personally, I liked metal slug the best in the arcade.

Jared
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Mortal Kombat is the onnly game I know on there......

Broncofan-13
01-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Jared
Mortal Kombat is the onnly game I know on there......

Really? thats a shame. a couple of good games on this list.

Jared
01-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Broncofan-13
Really? thats a shame. a couple of good games on this list.

Apparently I am too old.......

Broncofan-13
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
too old to not have played street fighter? wow.....

Jared
01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
too old to not have played street fighter? wow.....

I remember MK cause there was a movie, but perhaps Street Fighter was just like it? Its not ringing a bell. After I hit about 16 or so (Super Ninetndo) I only paid attention to psorts games and I haven't been in an arcade in even longer a time.....so I have no idea what kind of games there are unless they are sports related.

Broncofan-13
01-21-2004, 05:30 PM
ok, street fighter. ken and ryu? blanka, the electric guy? there was a SF movie too, but it sucked. ahhh, nevermind. The sad thing is, in the arcade over here ( yes, we have ONE arcade) there are NO sports games, unless you happen to count crazi taxi as a sport. all we have is shoot em ups, fighting games, a pinball machine or two, and (ugh) the dancing game, which takes about 1/4 of the arcade space. its pathetic

Elway
01-21-2004, 05:38 PM
No crazy climber or Elevator action? I'm a child of the 80's work with me here.

Mortal Kombat was up there among the best, like it a lot more than Street Fighter.

dandaman23
01-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Area 51 for Playstation, that game was so much fun and still is today. Also NBA Jam, I had that game for Super Nintendo, I still got it.

Ohio Broncos
01-21-2004, 09:52 PM
I almost went with House of the Dead. I loved that game when it first game out. It's one of those games where you cooperated with a friend to accomplish something. It reminds me of the old school Nintendo games (Contra, Jackal, Life Force, Rush 'N Attack, etc.) where you and a best friend (or your little brother if he annoyed the hell outta you) would team up to destroy evil aliens or just blow s*** up in general.

With that being said, I picked Street Fighter. I cannot possibly calculate how many hours I have played that game in my local arcade at the time. Ryu was cool, but Chun Li was my homegirl. It was the first game of it's kind that did it right (that's right, even before Mortal Kombat). It was a pioneer of fighting games, and it can't be ignored or forgotten.

Crazie
01-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Toss up between Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat, but I think MK has the edge.

THE SHIELD
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Where in the hell is TEKKEN or KILLER INSTINCT ON THE LIST!!!? HAVE YOU GONE NUTS, I'm In my late twenties I don't play games, I play with other things! Ask my Fiance!!!

orangenblue420
01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Well I have to go with Daytona USA, I actually bought the steering wheel, gas pedal controller set

I must have this thing for racing games I guess.....hmmm

I really dont play them all that much though, it is one of the guys things I havent picked up on......I really dont have the time these days to even think about playing video games, anything past the nineties and I would have to answer based on what my son plays. He loves the football games, Madden, etc.....

Right now he has a thing for that Street Basketball game, he just got #2, but he isnt glued to the game, so Im happy about that, he would rather be outside playing any of the games in real life.

THE SHIELD
01-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by dhall26
Where in the hell is TEKKEN or KILLER INSTINCT ON THE LIST!!!? HAVE YOU GONE NUTS, I'm In my late twenties I don't play games, I play with other things! Ask my Fiance!!!

Oh Yeah, and where's CRUISIN U.S.A.? Another Great Game!! You said 90's!!!

Broncofan-13
01-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by dandaman23
Area 51 for Playstation, that game was so much fun and still is today. Also NBA Jam, I had that game for Super Nintendo, I still got it.

Area 51 was on the sega saturn as i recall, lol. plus i liked it better in the arcade.

Broncofan-13
01-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by dhall26

Damn I knew i was forgetting something. I dont like tekken, which is why it didnt make the list, I prefer the older fighting games.

Broncofan-13
01-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ohio Broncos
I almost went with House of the Dead. I loved that game when it first game out. It's one of those games where you cooperated with a friend to accomplish something. It reminds me of the old school Nintendo games (Contra, Jackal, Life Force, Rush 'N Attack, etc.) where you and a best friend (or your little brother if he annoyed the hell outta you) would team up to destroy evil aliens or just blow s*** up in general.

I like it too, gettin a buddy and blowing a bunch of money on a stupid videogame, ahh, the good ol days ;)

Ohio Broncos
01-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bcollin1
It would be hard to argue against Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. I probably spent over $1000 my first summer up in Washington on Street Fighter (I was under 21, and I was living in the barracks at the time).

Hey...anyone remember that one with the guy who said "Big Money! Big Prizes! I-I-I-I-I love it!"
It was something to do with TV, or game shows or something like that. You fought this huge guy who looked like something out of Fantastic Four or X-Men at the end, but I can't remember what it was.

Smash TV. That game was insanely hard. Well, it wasn't really hard, it just had an avalanche of enemies that you had to deal with. There were so many times when I was just overwhelmed.

It had a pretty original idea for its time. You were a "contestant" on a TV show trying to stay alive by any means necessary ala The Running Man. That was another good game to play with a buddy.

dandaman23
01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Area 51 was on the sega saturn as i recall, lol. plus i liked it better in the arcade.

They also had it for Playstation. And ya I think just about everyone who has played it likes it better in the arcade. You get to use the guns instead of the controller unless you buy the hook-up for the guns.