PDA

View Full Version : Guns

orangenblue420
02-02-2004, 10:15 AM
With all the campaigning going on I have a good question for debate.....

Some people think guns should be illegal, while others think the laws we have now are too strict....

What do you think.....

Also, a friend of mine and I got into this discussion the other night, she believes they s/b illegal, I do not....she used Canada as an example. She states they have much stricter gun laws and therefore their crime rate is lower....

I want to know from some of the Canadiens we have in here what their take on this issue is and what its like up in Canada...

dandaman23
02-02-2004, 10:22 AM
I have an aunt from Canada and she doesnt believe in guns at all. She hates being around them. Funny thing is she is married to a hunter. So we have all his guns at my house, cause she hates them.LOL.

THE SHIELD
02-02-2004, 12:12 PM
I'll just blame it on ARNOLD's Movies, The Violence in today's entertainment, cuz back in the 50's you never saw violent movies, never a John Wayne Western or a Gary Cooper movie where they shoot up the whole town! Only good family entertainment! THey need to make more MUSICALS!! How bout the West Side Story, they used knives instead of guns!!

pikman
02-02-2004, 12:56 PM
The bleeding hearts have taken over up here. Our gun laws are definitely stricter than those in the US and I for one am not in favor of them.

1. All firearms no matter how old or for what purpose must be registered.

2. Al firearms must have trigger locks when stored.

3. Ammunition must be stored in a separate location than the firearms.

I don't know about the crime rate numbers, but I do know that people up here get killed by guns just the same. If you're a criminal you aren't going to register your guns no matter what the gov't tells you.

I see no problem with possessing firearms for hunting or competition. My only problem with the laws in the US is I don't understand why anyone needs a fully automatic assault rifle. Deer, bear, etc aren't that hard to kill that you need that kind of equipment.

rascal
02-02-2004, 01:16 PM
That's exactly my problem with all this legislation as well. If a person wants to kill someone, then it won't matter how many laws you have because they will find a gun. The only thing that these legislations do is take away our constitutional right to bear arms and our ability to defend ourselves at our home.

I'm a hunter/fisherman/outdoorsmen whatever you want to call it, and these laws really piss me off. Besides abortion this is the reason why I don't support democrats, but that's another discussion.

mattos
02-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by orangenblue420
She states they have much stricter gun laws and therefore their crime rate is lower....

i think that is incorrect. switzerland has a militia style army in which every male gets a fully automatic weapon. women might get them too, i don't know. but they have very little crime. perhaps b/c everyone knows you'll get shot if you try anything. in the end though it is the culture not the guns. america has always had guns and only recently started having school shootings. my dad remembers taking guns to school (they would go hunting afterwards) but no one ever got shot.

guns are also used in self defense 4 times as often as they are used to commit crimes (see http://www.lewrockwell.com/lott/lott19.html), but you'll never hear that reported on tv.

finally, if you oppose ownership, please, please put a big sign in your front yard stating that your house has no guns.

THE SHIELD
02-02-2004, 02:07 PM
I have a Pistol in My Pocket and its totally legal!!!

orangenblue420
02-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by dhall26
I have a Pistol in My Pocket and its totally legal!!!

Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me :D

palehorse
02-02-2004, 04:45 PM
"Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive."

Littlebear
02-02-2004, 04:57 PM
If the police could stop crime , they would... but they can't be everywhere. WE are the first defence against crime , then you call the police to report the dead crackhead inside your house.What if you had chosen not to arm yourself & protect your family ?
Thats why you ''keep yer powder dry''

orangenblue420
02-03-2004, 09:44 AM
"I think guns should be left to the
police and other trained professionals and not in the hands of any Tom, ****,
Harry, or Jane (most of whom don't seem to know how to use them). Do we not
have laws in place that make sure people know how to use a gun (and would
only use it for self-defense) before one is purchased? We have to have a
driver's license before driving a car (although not everyone seems to have
one or be able to drive a car), why not before owning any type of projectile
weapon? And why do the Police have inadequate weapons (this from the wife of one, a friend)."

The above quote comes from a person who is arguing with a "friend" of mine about hand guns.......This is what the majority of the people who are against hand guns think, because it also reflects the feelings of my friend with whom I had the conversation with. How do you get these people to see that if you were to take guns out of the hands of the average LAW ABIDING citizen the only people left with them would be the inadequate law enforcement and the criminals....which leaves US where?????? At the mercy of the criminal....

Guns do cause accidental deaths every day BUT the majority of the accidents probably could have been prevented with a little common sense and care.....if you have children in your house, first, dont let them know there is a gun in the house, second dont keep the gun loaded and accessable, third if they do know put the fear of god into them and TEACH them hand gun safety and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly...

I grew up in a house that had guns (for whatever reason) I never knew where they were kept and I knew damn well if I found them not to touch them, EVER!!!!!

It boils down to the responsibility of the gun owner, if you want to own one, you have the right, but you also have the right to insure that the gun isnt going to harm anyone unintentionally.....

Jared
02-03-2004, 10:23 AM
While I see no reason for guns, and hate them, and refuse to touch one or be near one, I fully understand the thinking behind the freedom to bear arms as defined by our constituition and support it.

All these politicians talk about 'gun-control' and "legislation". No one in my memory has ever mentioned "black market" or "illegal gun trade" or "crooked cops". Its very simple. The laws we currently have are fine, but they will not rpevent gun-related crimes, only gun-related accidents. A criminal is going to get a gun either legally or illegally, if he or she wants one. Please tell me how guns used in crimes get back out on the streets? No one ever talks about how to prevent that. When a legislator mentions gun control and actually talks about stopping illegal guns or rescinding the second amendment, I will listen. Not saying I will agree, but at least it would be someone who has the balls to stand up and say something with some teeth behind it.

Current gun-control laws only frustrate the legal gun-buyer. They will abide by the laws and were probably not going to commit a crime anyway. They don't stop a street level drug dealer form buying a pistol on the street, or a major supplier from purchasing serious automatic weapons. And make NO MISTAKE, the gun trade and the drug trade are very closely related in the U.S. You can't have a discussion abotu how to stop one without talking about how the other is involved.

THE SHIELD
02-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I love guns, where I grew up you needed one. You don't get caught slippin cuz if you do then you'll get slipped one! Gots it? Good!

THE SHIELD
02-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I love guns, where I grew up you needed one. You don't get caught slippin cuz if you do then you'll get slipped one! Gots it? Good!

Shenlong
02-04-2004, 11:02 AM
america has always had guns and only recently started having school shootings

this statement is actualy innaccurate.. there is documentation of school shootings clear back to the civil war.. a disgruntled child shooting his teacher or peers.. it happened even when they had one room school houses.. the only difference is that they didnt have media coverage back then to make such a big deal of it.. now we have every major media source there as soon as it happens.. school shootings are nothing new .. theyve been around america as long as we have been a country

RunByDesign
02-04-2004, 11:33 AM
BTT

Unfortunately in America, it is nescessary to posess guns to protect yourself from the other idiots with guns. If they banned all guns or whathaveyou, there would still be the armed maniacs and criminals running around.

Gun, please.