PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500

orangenblue420
02-16-2004, 03:37 PM
I know most on here are not big fans of racing but did anyone watch the 500.....IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

I was in tears seeing Jr. win......what a move he made it was incredible, dad would be proud.....

3rd year anniversary of Sr.'s death

6th yr to the day anniversary of Dad's one and only win of the 500 despite being the winningest driver at that track

Only the 3rd father/son combo to win the 500

Lots of 3's - kinda weird huh???

Im just so glad Junior won in such convincing fashion......

Shenlong
02-17-2004, 12:02 PM
im a nascar fan as well.. i watched the race.. it was a good race although i cannot say im a jr fan.. i was a big earnhardt fan when he was alive.. but since the untimely death of the legend himself i have grown tired of the constant promotion of jr.. this is just my personal opinion mind you.. but nascar making jr the poster boy for the sport after the death of dale sr didnt sit well with me.. i myself am a fan of hendrick motorsports.. jeff gordon and jimmie johnson (i know i just opened up to all kinds of ridicule for that one). when ryan newman figures out how to be consistent and stay away from the dnf's he will be atop the nascar points.. he is a man in the race car .. ive never seen anyone that either finishes top 5 or doesnt seemingly finish..

What are your thoughts on the new softer tires nascar has implemented? i was against them at first but now i like the idea of putting the race more in the hands of the drivers..

DEI .. apparently noone has gained any ground on there dominance of restrictor plate racing.. it baffles me.. what could they possibly know to give them such an advantage on the restrictor plates? especially when all the others seem so even?

orangenblue420
02-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Hell if I had the answer to that restrictor plate question, I would be the most coveted female in motorsports (ahhh a dream come true :D ) But I sure know they kicks ass!!! Who knows it could be a drivers secret from Dale Sr.

As far as the tires, I really dont get that technically involved in racing, I love it for the speed, the speed, and oh yeah the speed.....

And though I am a Jr. fan (yes because of dad) I agree with you on the promotion based on him being that. But you cant fault him, it was going to happen regardless, its just the nature of sports. And I dont think anyone can take this win from Jr. He made a freakin hellacious move on Tony (and the car drafting with him, the 97, I think) to take first place, he took both cars on and took the lead with 18 to go (I believe). I think I held my breath the last 18 laps and was about to die on the last lap. I was praying to the racing gods that he didnt have his dads bad luck on the last lap of the 500, Dale lost a few on the last lap not to mention his life....and the crash with Michael was scary, I wasnt sure he was ok, with the way they were running around for the first few minutes. He was freakin pi$$ed at the safety crews, wow!!!!

Shenlong
02-17-2004, 01:42 PM
i know its no fault of dale jr.. but i have been always the kind of type to go against the grain ya know.. hes the most popular driver in the sport and i think thats what i dont like about him.. i never had a doubt he was goin to win it.. i was yelling at the tv the entire time. "no no no no" altho i wasnt dissapointed cuz im not fond of tony stewart either.. i think dale sr used up all the family bad luck in his time.. the final crash.. the bird that cost him daytona.. etc etc.. the man had his share of bad breaks.. im sure he had enough bad breaks to atone for he and jr .. it sure seems to me that jr hasnt had that many bad breaks in his racin days.. i dont like the man but i have to give him respect cuz altho hes not dale sr he is a dominant driver on the circuit to be reckoned with.. just giving credit where credit is due..

orangenblue420
02-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Yeah I know what youre saying about against the grain. I am usually routing for the underdog if I dont have a specific team I want to win. And thats why I love jr so much, he's such an against the grain type of person, very wild, very carefree and big time partier....woohooo....i just like his style, the same reason i loved his daddy - theyre both they type of guys you either love or hate, nothing in between.

RealBronco
02-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I wanted Bobby Labonte to win.

But it was good to see Jr. win.

Shenlong
02-17-2004, 02:50 PM
oh well tho.. jrs good but he wont win a points championship until all tracks have restrictor plates...

RealBronco
02-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by orangenblue420
And though I am a Jr. fan (yes because of dad) I agree with you on the promotion based on him being that. But you cant fault him, it was going to happen regardless, its just the nature of sports.

No, not really the nature of sports...it's moreso the nature of the media.

Shenlong
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
it was nascar losing its legend and needing a new promotion because of that.. they used jr for two reasons... who he was and his age.. by promoting youger drivers they figured they could attract more of the younger generation and expand there fan base

orangenblue420
02-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Youre right but ya wanna really know what pissed me off about shameless promotion in NASCAR -

GW and him doing the gentlemen start your engines - what BS

The last time he was at a NASCAR race was when he was running in 2000, what does that tell you - freakin ass - trying to get the male between 25-40 vote by showing up looking like he is actually interested in NASCAR - how can people fall for this BS - it drives me insane :goofy:

THE SHIELD
02-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Isn't the Daytona 500 an exercise?

orangenblue420
02-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by dhall26
Isn't the Daytona 500 an exercise?

Heres an exercise for ya - you can do it while sitting at your desk, driving in your car, just dont let the wrong people see you - :D

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fingers/fing06.gif

Jared
02-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry, was there a race this weekend? With all the A-Rod talk and (locally) the Buick Invitational (ugh)taking up the whole damn paper, I wasn't aware NASCAR has started.

BTW, I am all for a scoring system that makes more sense, but they screwed this one up. This "last 10 races" stuff is even more confusing than it was before. Maybe they would have more fans come aboard if they scored in a consistent fashion from race to race.

And the one who wins the most races should have a better shot at the title than someone who is a consistent runner up.

How many cars are in a race? 30? 40? So why can't they have an inverse scale based on number of qualifying cars. Winner gets 30 points in a thirty car race, second place gets 29, third gets 28 and so on.

Plus, winners get bonus points for winning. It can be a totally arbitrary number. 5 or 10 points or whatever.

As someone who is not a big fan, I would be more inclined to care if they rewarded winning in a more sensible manner.

orangenblue420
02-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Only the biggest one of the year - duh :duh: I still love ya though "subway boy"

The way they add up points hasnt changed just the race for the championship -

The winner of each NASCAR race receives 180 points. The runner-up in each event scores 170. From there, the point total declines in five-point increments for places two through six, points awarded drop four points per driver for positions seven through 11 and three-point increments separate drivers' points for finishers in 12th place or lower.

The 43rd, or last-place driver, gets 34 points.

There are also bonus points up for grabs at each event. Drivers receive five points for leading a lap and an additional five points for leading the most laps.

This is the change
- following the 26th race of the season, all drivers in the NASCAR Top 10 and any others within 400 points of the leader will earn a berth in the "Chase for the Championship."

All drivers in the "chase" will have their point totals adjusted. The first-place driver in the standings will begin the chase with 5,050 points; the second-place driver will start with 5,045, etc. Incremental five-point drops will continue through the list of title contenders.

Not sure if I like it and I know I dont like the name change - WTF is up wth that Nextel Cup - BS its always gonna be Winston Cup, jesus h christ these damn corporations, I wish they would leave the names out of our beloved sports - I hate change -

Jared
02-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by orangenblue420
Only the biggest one of the year - duh :duh: I still love ya though "subway boy"

The way they add up points hasnt changed just the race for the championship -

The winner of each NASCAR race receives 180 points. The runner-up in each event scores 170. From there, the point total declines in five-point increments for places two through six, points awarded drop four points per driver for positions seven through 11 and three-point increments separate drivers' points for finishers in 12th place or lower.

The 43rd, or last-place driver, gets 34 points.

There are also bonus points up for grabs at each event. Drivers receive five points for leading a lap and an additional five points for leading the most laps.

This is the change
- following the 26th race of the season, all drivers in the NASCAR Top 10 and any others within 400 points of the leader will earn a berth in the "Chase for the Championship."

All drivers in the "chase" will have their point totals adjusted. The first-place driver in the standings will begin the chase with 5,050 points; the second-place driver will start with 5,045, etc. Incremental five-point drops will continue through the list of title contenders.

Not sure if I like it and I know I dont like the name change - WTF is up wth that Nextel Cup - BS its always gonna be Winston Cup, jesus h christ these damn corporations, I wish they would leave the names out of our beloved sports - I hate change -

My understanding is that the parent compnay of Winston (RJR? Phillip Morris?) didn't want to pay anymore. I am sure it had to have been called something before the Winston cup, even if it was just "NASCAR Championship"

The scoring system doesn't allow for the possibility that someone could get hot later and earn enough points to challenge, or is that impossible? You mean to tell me that the driver who is #11 come the 11th to last race won't be irked, especially if he is just a small amount behind?

orangenblue420
02-18-2004, 02:27 PM
It's the top ten and any driver within 400 points of the tenth place, from the way I understand it, which in all actuality is fair, if you are 400 pts behind 10th place, with only 11 some odd races left, you have no chance in hell of catching the leader...so I guess its fair and may make things more exciting, we will have to wait and see.

And I know about the sponsorship, I'm sure it was something else before Winston came in, but its been Winston Cup since I started following, so its a tough adjustment for me to hear all this Nextel Cup BS, just call it NASCAR!!! Like Mile High being Invesco, I will always call it Mile High....